I have finally decided!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

I have finally decided!

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

I have decided at long last where I am going to go study overseas, for real. I have decided to go to the Ukraine, and study Russian. Well, the program I want to sign up for is a program that will actually teach you the Russian language, and it is supposed to be in Kiev, Ukraine. The only problem is trying to get the money to get there. I am also seeking to get enough money to not only go there and get back when I have to come back, also to go visit some family and friends before I leave (also various expenses not included in the Program fees). I hope that I can find something and will not have to take out some kind of loan to defray the costs of this program.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Fenix
Junior Poster

Post by Fenix »

I will like to interject something into this conversation, as well:

http://www.goabroad.com/

^^^Great programs that I will be using myself in the near future.
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

Good luck!! :)
Truthville
Freshman Poster

Post by Truthville »

Alright Hero!!!!

Remember: It's often just the simple act of deciding that can lead a person to a better life!
alainminus
Freshman Poster

Post by alainminus »

Language learning when it comes down to it is just learning lots and lots of vocabulary. 5000-10000 words needed for basic fluency. The thing is, no one can teach you how to memorize words. That's personal effort you'll have to put in yourself. 2-4 hours a day. It's a lot of work.

We live in an age where teaching yourself things has become exponentially easier with the Internet. Especially languages.

It will take you about 1-2 years to be fluent. Learn the language here, and then go to Ukraine and spend ALL your time taking to the ladies instead of holing yourself in a cold Ukrainian library somewhere learning the language, and being frustrated about not being able to carry out simple communication with the girls. And also barely getting by in terms of money.

Never put your faith or money in someone else when it comes to learning, especially when you don't have to. You'll be doing most of the work. Just cut the middle man out.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

I have two issues

I have two issues here:

A) Finding the money to not only get there and come back (and paying for the program in question), finding the money to go see family and friends before I leave.

and

B) Finding myself a place to live when I get back (eventually I will have to come back to the states)
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

You can get free online Russian language lessons at http://www.livemocha.com

You have family in Ukraine? Are you of Ukrainian descent?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Hero, here's the short form of advice... first, go to your local library and get the full 90 Pimsleur daily lessons for Russian. That's the comprehensive series I, II, & III.

Here's why... you can always add vocabulary et al, after the fact, but it takes a bit of finesse to get comfortable with a new language. The Pimsleur CDs offers that level of comfort, from a conversational p.o.v. After 90 lessons, or ~3 months of daily work, you'll be able to tackle newer issues with ease and more confidence.

Then, you'll have to work on your vocabulary and get yourself to the intermediate level. This is tough; I'll let others answer this part for you, as I haven't been out of the US, continuously, for more than a business quarter at a time. I suspect it's a combination of full immersion and a lot of book learning which is required.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Better advice, besides learning a language...

Use those two web sites posted, they are about exchanges. Even if its just in Europe, your a low cost airline flight away from FSU. I bought a roundtrip ticket from Germany to Kiev, Ukraine for about $250.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Winston wrote:You can get free online Russian language lessons at http://www.livemocha.com

You have family in Ukraine? Are you of Ukrainian descent?

No I do not have family in the Ukraine, and as far as I know, I am pure African American.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

I request some information...

on how to get the money required for this trip. I was told that with the program fees plus all other expenses, this will cost me about at least $10,000. :( How am I supposed to try to get this money? :(
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

$10,000 are you kidding me,

you might as well go yourself and it'll be wayyy cheaper.
Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

First off, Kiev is God awful f***ing expensive. Right up there with New York. I shit you not.

Second, if you are black, your f***ed. Watch your back, the skinheads do not play games!

Third, get an ESL then look for a job teaching English at a high school or university. You can get an ESL cert online from what I understand. The students will teach you Russian for f***ing FREE! Paying to learn Russian is pure folly.

Fourth, if and when you get there remember the Golden Rule. Pics or it didn't happen.

And finally, without the Golden Rule its...

Cool story, Bro!
How to deal with newbies that talk much but do little.

Pics or it didn't happen.

YES/NO

Cool story, bro.

Problem solved.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Grunt wrote:First off, Kiev is God awful f***ing expensive. Right up there with New York. I shit you not.

Second, if you are black, your f***ed. Watch your back, the skinheads do not play games!

Third, get an ESL then look for a job teaching English at a high school or university. You can get an ESL cert online from what I understand. The students will teach you Russian for f***ing FREE! Paying to learn Russian is pure folly.

Fourth, if and when you get there remember the Golden Rule. Pics or it didn't happen.

And finally, without the Golden Rule its...

Cool story, Bro!
Sorry but Kiev is not that expensive if you know where to look (A) and (B) don't buy stuff from the West with local currency. Just out of curiosity, I was looking at some Denon CD Turntables at a music store in Kiev and they were almost twice as much in Kiev than they are in the US. Otherwise, food is affordable. Even better if you go food shopping with a local.

Did you really say Skinheads? There are Skinheads in the United States or did you forget that? What do you think is going on, they are hanging out at the airport waiting for Black People to come out of it??? I was not confronted one time by any males. In Russia this is a bit more of a problem and something the police are aware of. They mainly target Asians and Arabs. I have seen a few times of reports and VIDEO of Africans mainly young students getting chased and beaten. Okay but didn't just a couple of White kids just get into their truck after a party, beat up and run over a Black Man in the Southern US?

And your ass is worried about Skinheads you may never see????? Wow, just wow. Suggestion STAY HOME, US is going to implode anyway and a race war will start, you mark my words, White People in America don't like being poor and when they are, they sure as hell don't want to share that with People of Color.

Not everybody is cut out for ESL, you can try it but don't count on it.

What I would do, is muddle through a POS job in America and save. If you have a car, sell it. Get a student bus pass from Metro. I pay $36 a month for unlimited travel on buses, tram and subway. You can't even fill your tank and it last a week for $36 unless your driving a hybrid. Just between gas and insurance you'll save a few thousand easily if you don't spend it on something else.

Since SAVING is not taught regularly in America I know this concept is foreign to most people. But that's what I suggest, SAVE, SAVE, SAVE. Also I highly suggest you get a Kindle or Color Nook and purchase your school books from Amazon. Its much cheaper...