Poll: Philippines or Ukraine?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.

Poll: Philippines or Ukraine?

Philippines
39%
Ukraine
61%

Total votes: 31
odbo
Veteran Poster

Is this a good summary?

Post by odbo »

-Western Europe is the best place to be in terms of police. They treat you like a human and even if you are sent to jail it is comfortable and the sentence will be short.
-Then there is Eastern Europe. The cops might be unfair but high level of corruption means money talks. The sentence will be fairly short but the prison will be filthy.
-Then there is the Anglosphere, like Australia or England. Cops won't be as nice as Western Europe, you can't buy yourself out, and the sentence will be a bit longer but reasonable.
-Then there is the corrupt Muslim shitholes like Turkey or Morocco or Indonesia. They like the "throw away the key policy". You might get life sentence for a small offense. However you might be able to buy yourself out prior to the trial. Cells are filthy and you might get tortured but you get personal freedom.
-Then there are South American prisons. It's the other inmates you have to be worried about here. You're most likely to get killed in one of these.

-Then there is America. Cops treat you like a disease, you can't buy yourself out, AND you will be in there almost as long as the Muslim shitholes (unless you're a woman or wealthy). It also has the worst prison "lifestyle". The violence and shit food of the 3rd world, with non of the freedom. Dehumanization is the name of the game. Once you're out no one will hire you, and no one will want to grant you a visa. Say what you want about South American prisons but I doubt former inmates have to go through background checks once they're free just to work a dead-end job!

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Poll: Philippines or Ukraine?

Post by Rock »

LarryLaffer wrote:I think Ukraine would be a better place to live than the Philippines. However, I would advise avoiding both countries because they are just too dangerous. When you research both those countries, you will see that corruption is high. Therefore, I've been looking at different countries.

Look at this website that has corruption statistics:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/gov_c ... corruption
If you go to a country as a tourist and spend only a few days weeks, or even months there, the most relevant factor which will influence your life there in most cases is probably rates of violent street crime. A rough proxy for might be annual murder rates per 100,000 or violent assault rates per 100,000.

In the worst case (high danger), you will have be in paranoid mode when you are out and about, especially at night, and think and plan carefully about where you walk, what modes of transport you use, and logistics to and from points of interest. Examples of some of the worst places in this regard are Joburg, Rio, Bogota, Nairobi, and even greater downtown Miami.

Medium danger cities are better but you still have significant risk of being assaulted or having your items snatched. Manila, perhaps Jakarta, and suburban Paris or some of the worst districts of London come to my mind here.

Lower danger cities can be bad if you are careless, reckless, or belligerent. And sometimes you just get plain unlucky and get assaulted in them. Bangkok, Shenzhen, or even Taichung might fit into this category.

Safe cities are not danger free. But you got to be pretty unlucky to have problems in them. Usual suspects here are developed NE Asian capitals. Perhaps some of the most prosperous cities in Middle East or Scandinavia could be added.

On average, I would place large US cities between medium danger and low danger. Some fit better into the former and others into the latter. And many of the worst districts within urban America are high danger IMO.
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

List of countries by intentional homicide rate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... icide_rate

2008:
USA - 5.4 per 100,000 population
Ukraine - 5.4 per 100,000 population
Philippines - 6.4 per 100,000 population
Last edited by Google on August 8th, 2011, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LarryLaffer
Freshman Poster

Post by LarryLaffer »

Google wrote:List of countries by intentional homicide rate

USA - 5.0 per 100,000 population
Interesting statistics Google.

I was looking at older statistics from this:

http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=699

Which showed Ukraine at 7.42 and the US at 4.55.

Therefore I assumed Ukraine was more dangerous.

However, your statistics are newer and therefore more accurate.

Thanks for posting.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

LarryLaffer wrote:

USA - 5.0 per 100,000 population
Interesting statistics Google.

I was looking at older statistics from this:

http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=699

Which showed Ukraine at 7.42 and the US at 4.55.

Therefore I assumed Ukraine was more dangerous.

However, your statistics are newer and therefore more accurate.

Thanks for posting.
Be careful with using countrywide stats. Some areas or cities are much worse or better than the country numbers would suggest. In USA, Detroit, East St. Louis, or even Washington DC are going to have a completely different risk profile than say Santa Monica, San Jose, Beverly Hills, or many smaller towns in the midwest.

In Colombia, interior cities (Bogota, Cali, Medellin) are much worse than Caribbean coastal cities, especially Cartagena or even Barranquilla.

In Brazil, the far south (below Sao Paolo) is much safer than the north. Rio, Sao Paolo, and perhaps Salvador are the worst.

As for Ukraine, research differences between east and west cus it sounds like there are likely significant ones given what's been written on this forum before.

One issue which can have a tremendous impact on your safety as a visitor to certain places is whether or not you go out clubbing or whoring at night. Some relatively safe places can become a lot more dangerous if you frequently partake in night activities.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... icide_rate

2008:
USA - 5.4 per 100,000 population
Kinda surprised by the dark blue shading of far NE Canada. What's up with that?
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

Rock wrote:Kinda surprised by the dark blue shading of far NE Canada. What's up with that?

Nunavut is the largest and newest federal territory of Canada. One of the most remote, sparsely settled regions in the world, it has an estimated population of over 33,000, spread over an area the size of Western Europe.
Nunavut has the highest per capita rate of violent crime in Canada: 10286 incidents of violent crime per 100,000 people. Canada's violent crime rate is only 1282 crimes per 100,000 people, giving Nunavut a crime rate more than nine times higher than that of Canada's.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/10/14/canadas-shame/

:(
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Rock wrote:

Kinda surprised by the dark blue shading of far NE Canada. What's up with that?
Low sunlight = depression
High exposure to lead, manganese, aluminum, etc. = aggression and/or brain goes crazy
(I think thats why parts of Australia have really high murder rate.. manganese in the water)
Google
Freshman Poster

Post by Google »

odbo wrote:Low sunlight = depression
High exposure to lead, manganese, aluminum, etc. = aggression and/or brain goes crazy
(I think thats why parts of Australia have really high murder rate.. manganese in the water)
I do not think so. it's internal degradation

Aboriginal depression + alcohol = violent crime
TopSpruce
Freshman Poster

Interesting points

Post by TopSpruce »

I imagine both countries have something to offer if you stay away from the capital.

Hell, even small towns in America have some decent women remaining, however few.

I assume PI may offer more traditional women and better weather. However, I know the more isolated areas of Ukraine can still be very traditional.

How do you think the two countries differ in regards to traditional women, especially in smaller towns?
TopSpruce
Freshman Poster

Post by TopSpruce »

Well, according to the poll its clear cut.

-Zoosk, its dinnertime