Japan and the waning dollar

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
BigDug
Freshman Poster

Japan and the waning dollar

Post by BigDug »

I went to the Baird Taproom in Tokyo today. Three tasters equals 1000 yen. Back in the day, only 6-7 years ago, that would have been like $80. But with the dollar getting stripped of its power by the US Fed, today it actually cost me $133 dollars. Within 7 years, that same amount of beer went from $80 to $133. That's insanity!

I feel my "US is awesome" power fading away.

I asked the bartenders what they thought of American Women. They had the usual idea that American Women were so awesome. Then I explained the American Court system when it came to divorce. In Japan, the judge basically asks the woman, "are you ok?" Then the man, "are you ok?" If both say yes, divorce is final. I explained the alimony, automatic custody, and child support to the bartenders. Their "American Women are the pinnacle of chicks" mindset got ruined by me.

Fact is, Japanese girls are infinitely better than American women, despite the "exotic allure" that American Women hold over Japanese Men. Not only is their divorce rate much less than ours, even when they do get a divorce, it is so shameful that they want a clean break. They don't want a monetary attachment to their previous spouse. They don't feel like the ex-husband owes them a continual standard of living for the rest of their lives.

Anyway, random thoughts from Japan.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Yeah, the weak dollar is wrecking havoc everywhere. I noticed how much more expensive food is whenever I go to the supermarket... It's outrageous. I remember when I was a kid a Big Mac combo was like $2 or something back in the early eighties. Now, it's something like 6$ to 7$!! Gas was 1.50 a liter in the 80s. Man, I miss those days.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

But it is not the dollar alone. The curse of the rising yen has been around for a long time. It is one of the reasons why Japan is hurting so bad.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
lionchild
Freshman Poster

Re: Japan and the waning dollar

Post by lionchild »

BigDug wrote:I went to the Baird Taproom in Tokyo today. Three tasters equals 1000 yen. Back in the day, only 6-7 years ago, that would have been like $80. But with the dollar getting stripped of its power by the US Fed, today it actually cost me $133 dollars. Within 7 years, that same amount of beer went from $80 to $133. That's insanity!
i ask how much alcohol you actually got for that kind of price! must have been the best damn tasting beverage for that price, eek!

-Lionchild
BigDug
Freshman Poster

Post by BigDug »

HA!! Well my sober eyes can see the mistake today!!

Ok let me try again. 1000 yen taster set used to be about $8 but now it's about $13.33.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

isn't that why you make the girls pay for YOUR drink? Muhahaha