N/A

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

N/A

Post by eurobrat »

N/A
Last edited by eurobrat on May 13th, 2013, 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Hook
Freshman Poster

Post by Hook »

I've been using Pimsleur, which has been working pretty good.

Don't use the pimsleurapproach.com site. They are a scam.

I got mine used from PimsleurMarketplace.com for $130.00. You can get a refund of $100.00 if you sell it back to them, so the cost is only $30. There is Russian I, II, and III, each costs $130. Each level contains 15 CDs, for a total of 30 half-hour lessons.

I end up ripping mp3s of the cds and listen on my mp3 player.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

you can use http://www.livemocha.com i have been using this to learn russian too. i did hear about pimsleur. sounds like you can learn a language super fast. okay dude hope this helps.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

I just downloaded Pimsleur
Hook
Freshman Poster

Post by Hook »

eurobrat wrote:I just downloaded Pimsleur
удачи!

Did you download an entire level, or just a sample lesson?

The problem with downloading is you can't sell it back when you are done. But if the price isn't a problem, then it is a quick way of getting started.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Actually it's just convenience to download.

I got the 4 audio cd's lessons 1-8. I tend to learn things faster by writing them down, not saying that listening to conversation helps but I usually retain more when writing things down.
Hook
Freshman Poster

Post by Hook »

eurobrat wrote:Actually it's just convenience to download.

I got the 4 audio cd's lessons 1-8. I tend to learn things faster by writing them down, not saying that listening to conversation helps but I usually retain more when writing things down.
Actually, the lesson guide says not to write things down, because you will develop more of an accent that way. The Russian sounds don't map exactly to our characters, so when you say things from roman script, you will have an english accent.

I end up having to do each lesson twice in a day. I never can seem to catch everything the first time.

One thing I recommend is to not take any breaks. If you go a week between a lesson, you will start forgetting the old stuff that you will need with future lessons.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Hmm, you are right. It seems the only way I retain information is by writing things down. I still think that going over there for a month and talking with the locals would ultimately help the most.
LarryLaffer
Freshman Poster

Re: Best way to learn russian?

Post by LarryLaffer »

eurobrat wrote:Is Rosetta stone good enough?
Hi eurobrat,

Ladislav has an excellent post about learning languages in his blog. I put a link to it in the FAQ page.

Click this link and scroll down to 6e.

viewtopic.php?p=48188#48188

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

@Larry, thanks. Great info.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

eurobrat wrote:I just downloaded Pimsleur
That sounds good. I don't know specifically about learning Russian, but "Teach Yourself" and "Colloquial" series usually have okay books which take someone from a total beginner to the level of intermediate or low intermediate.

You could also try LinqQ this was designed by a Canadian man who speaks 10 languages, including Russian. I've never tried that site, but it looks very interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MC5NaKd ... ideo_title
http://www.lingq.com/learn-russian-online/

Here he is speaking Russian:
http://www.lingq.com/ru/tour/
Last edited by Jackal on September 18th, 2011, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Hook wrote: Actually, the lesson guide says not to write things down, because you will develop more of an accent that way. The Russian sounds don't map exactly to our characters, so when you say things from roman script, you will have an english accent.
One solution could be to use some IPA (international phonetic alphabet) symbols for the Russian sounds which are different from any English sounds. This will give you a different symbol which will be a mental cue that it's a different sound.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Just download this bittorrent, Ulimate Russian Learning pack:
http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Ultimate-Ru ... 76c75a1eef
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

@Mr. S

+1000 to you sir, I owe you a beer for that link.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Mr. S,

Do you have any more links there's no seeds in that torrent, by the time I get done downloading it I will have been to Russia around 10x.

Return to “Russia, Ukraine, Former Soviet Republics”