Are Americans Rude?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Tonitrus
Freshman Poster

Are Americans Rude?

Post by Tonitrus »

Are Americans rude in comparison to other cultures? Particularly in comparison to East Asian cultures?
Raja
Freshman Poster

Post by Raja »

Something is only "rude" when it doesn't conform with a cultural norm. An Asian's inability to look you in the eye or say "no" in effect tell the truth becomes rude when they take that behavior to America for example.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

Raja wrote:Something is only "rude" when it doesn't conform with a cultural norm. An Asian's inability to look you in the eye or say "no" in effect tell the truth becomes rude when they take that behavior to America for example.
Literally, you're right, Raja. However, let's keep it within the context of how Americans do unto each other. Yes, the OP wants to know if Americans are rude as compared to other cultures, but I really think we are fishing for how rude and pompously ignorant Americans are compared to the rest of the world as to how non-Americans see American's behavioral attitude is.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Let's not kid ourselves. American society has grown more and more rude in the past 30 years, especially in the North.

Americans tend to be grossly informal, under dress for the occasion, and exhibit horrendous lack of common courtesy on average.

There are exceptions to the rule of course, but in this age of Iphones, I have about had it with people yapping loudly on the train as if no one else is around, people putting their dirty feet up on the seats at theaters, and not returning a simple hello when passing by on the street.

If you think Americans are not rude, why don't you say hello to 10 random women you pass on the street and see how few return the greeting.

Also look at the nature of our sitcoms. They are full of sarcasm and rudeness masquerading as humor. Art imitates life as they say.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

America is a big place and there are differences in people's behavior depending on geographic location.

I used to travel for work every week and spent considerable amount of time in the Southern states. Generally speaking people are nicer to me in smaller Southern towns. When I shopped at Walmart, a college-age girl with a shopping cart full of stuff in front of me offered to let me go ahead of her because I only had a few items. Women there also open doors to me from time to time. I've had men there say welcome to their town and I should consider staying because it's a nice place. In California you usually won't find people acting like that in Los Angeles. In Eastern KY, when I pulled over to take photos, I've had guys driving by stop to find out if I was OK or needed assistance. Elsewhere in the country I might have to worry about getting run over instead.
newlife
Freshman Poster

Post by newlife »

LOUD.

The loudest tourists are americans.

I remember a group of americans while I was sitting in a restaurant a while ago. I could hear their conversation clear across the restaurant!
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Let's not kid ourselves. American society has grown more and more rude in the past 30 years, especially in the North.

Americans tend to be grossly informal, under dress for the occasion, and exhibit horrendous lack of common courtesy on average.

There are exceptions to the rule of course, but in this age of Iphones, I have about had it with people yapping loudly on the train as if no one else is around, people putting their dirty feet up on the seats at theaters, and not returning a simple hello when passing by on the street.

If you think Americans are not rude, why don't you say hello to 10 random women you pass on the street and see how few return the greeting.

Also look at the nature of our sitcoms. They are full of sarcasm and rudeness masquerading as humor. Art imitates life as they say.
+1
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

momopi wrote:America is a big place and there are differences in people's behavior depending on geographic location.

I used to travel for work every week and spent considerable amount of time in the Southern states. Generally speaking people are nicer to me in smaller Southern towns. When I shopped at Walmart, a college-age girl with a shopping cart full of stuff in front of me offered to let me go ahead of her because I only had a few items. Women there also open doors to me from time to time. I've had men there say welcome to their town and I should consider staying because it's a nice place. In California you usually won't find people acting like that in Los Angeles. In Eastern KY, when I pulled over to take photos, I've had guys driving by stop to find out if I was OK or needed assistance. Elsewhere in the country I might have to worry about getting run over instead.
I agree with what you said, although I was always treated well in California in a similar way you were treated in the South.

I'm now in the tri state area and it SUCKS. You want to talk about rude? Around here if you walk up to people in the street and start talking to them they think you're crazy, people cross paths and don't say anything to each other, people don't smile around here and generally look gloomy and depressed; and recently I was extremely disturbed by a few people I knew from years ago that I bumped into who totally blew me off after I introduced myself to them. I haven't seen them in 10 years and they could only manege a 2 minute conversation in which they were sizing me up (where do you work?, where do you live?) the whole time, then they walked away like they could care less.
rome86
Freshman Poster

Post by rome86 »

yes americans are rude i have been living here for 5 years ..can't wait to live
hello
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Let's not kid ourselves. American society has grown more and more rude in the past 30 years, especially in the North.

Yes, try saying hi to 10 women on the street and see how many return your hello. American's don't talk to strangers, especially American women.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

American's ain't rude motha f***er!

and that guy who's been doing donuts outside my house at 2 am is just relieving work stress.

go to any movie theater, amusement park, or pop eyes chicken on a friday night and you'll see the classy creatures that americans truly are.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

newlife wrote:LOUD.

The loudest tourists are americans.

I remember a group of americans while I was sitting in a restaurant a while ago. I could hear their conversation clear across the restaurant!
"Rude" is culturally subjective. What is rude to one person is normal to another. As for the loudest tourists, I vote for the Russians.
cadams84
Freshman Poster

Post by cadams84 »

I may be rude, but i don't know any better. :P
Teamsatan
Freshman Poster

Post by Teamsatan »

Although I have never been to the U.S. Whenever i encounter an American in other countries i consider them to be probably the most polite people to meet.

If you want rude then try the French , English, or Russians.

There are always good and bad in all countries.

It is rare to find a frenchman that is not an arrogant piece , even when you speak french to them.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Teamsatan wrote:Although I have never been to the U.S. Whenever i encounter an American in other countries i consider them to be probably the most polite people to meet.

If you want rude then try the French , English, or Russians.

There are always good and bad in all countries.

It is rare to find a frenchman that is not an arrogant piece , even when you speak french to them.
This is true but one thing you have to keep in mind is that Americans who travel abroad are usually a unique breed. There's self selection going on because you have to be particularly open minded, tolerant, or at least adventurous to take that step. So most likely Americans who are willing to go outside of cultural boundaries have their own mindset to begin with.