Critique of the Philippines and Filipino culture

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Critique of the Philippines and Filipino culture

Post by philosophical_filipino »

My name is Conrad. I am from Chicago, IL. I am 22 years old.

I am the only child of Filipino immigrants and I have been to the Philippines 6 times. I have much love for Bohol, Cebu, and Mindanao. Not so much for Manila. It's so dirty.

I am writing this treatise out of pure love and embarrassment for my ancestral land of the Philippines. Self-examination and critical thinking are the utmost highest values to me. A society that rejects critical thinking in return for conformity will remain sheep to unforeseen sinister powers.

Philippines used to be more prosperous than Korea. Korea's infrastructure and economy were totally decimated after the Korean War. Back in the '60s & '70s, the Koreans actually LOOKED UP to the Philippines as a symbol of economic wealth and high standard of living. Imagine that? Quite ironic now huh?
This article "MY SHORT ESSAY ABOUT THE PHILIPPINES" by Jaeyoun Kim is a damning review of Filipino psyche and love for their country. http://www.pinayjade.com/all-about-the- ... filipinos/

The only thing stabilizing the Philippine economy are OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers). These Filipino migrant workers from all over the globe send back money in the form of remittances back home. Philippines is on life support and the because of the hard work and sacrifice of Filipinos across the world, the southeast island nation is barely surviving. The data is here: http://www.hsbc.com/1/2/emerging-market ... nos-abroad The domestic industries are non-existent due to corporatism and the natural inclination of Filipinos to believe that "foreign" = better. There is no self-critical motivation and established identity to inspire Filipinos to develop their own small businesses and stimulate the economy. The government's hugely inefficient bureaucracy and high taxes make it a unfavorable business invesment climate.

I will rant here because Filipinos are allowing foreign powers such as the Chinese and Americans to enslave them and take away their self-determination. The Chinese own the banks, airlines, and virtually every sector of business/industry in the Philippines. The rich Chinese don't even live amongst the people because if they did, all their children would be abducted and held for ransom. My people are literally slaves/servants to the Chinese overlords and it sickens me. I want a strong, self-sufficient, and respected Filipino people. I don't want their future to be a lackey to the Chinese communists. Philippines is rich with natural resources that these hungry communists desire to take for themselves. We, as Filipinos, should not allow these foreigners to enslave us and take away our resources. We must stand up to the corrupt politicians using the revolutionary people power of mass protest.

What are any suggestions to help improve Philippines economy so that it can a be a vibrant and self-sufficient place for its native peoples?
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the
suffering itself because no heart has ever suffered when it goes in
search of its dream." - Paulo Coelho

"Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that
joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of
sacrifice." - José Rizal
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Welcome philosophical filipino. It's very refreshing to find a Filipino like you who is into intellectual/philosophical things.

How did you find this site?

You might be interested in these sites criticizing the Philippines too.

http://www.antipinoy.com
http://www.getrealphilippines.com

I've made many criticisms myself about the Philippines in this forum. I didn't know it used to be rich before. That's hard to imagine. What do you think brought the Philippines down?

I agree with you about Manila. It is dirty, messy, chaotic, and the only thing to do is to escape inside the malls. It is energy draining too. No oxygen or trees or fresh air to replenish you.

Is Cebu much better? What are your favorite parts of the Philippines?

I look forward to reading your articles.

Regards,
Winston
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

FOBS (Fresh off the boat) Filipinos who come to the U.S. act like they arrived in the Promised Land. The greed and materialistic culture of America infects their mind frame and they begin to act selfish and stuck up towards others. All they care about is shopping, sport stars, and status-driven egoism. I hate this kind of attitude and reject it anywhere it appears.

Philippines economic downfall started with Ferdinand & Imelda Marcos. Ferdinand's martial law effect crushed political opposition and stifled the Philippine economy. He ruled as a brutal dictator, yet former U.S. President Ronald Reagan supported him just because he was anti-communist. He didn't care that Marcos was plundering the nation's wealth and treating its citizens like vermin. His wife Imelda is the most clearest example of Filipino vanity. Her infamous shoe collection, paid for by stolen funds from the Philippine Treasury, is an insult and mockery to the suffering of millions impoverished Filipino children. http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/1 ... ilippines/

America is currently in Iraq and Afghanistan trying to nation-build each country, while millions of Americans live in dire poverty and anguish. America already failed at nation-building with the Philippines. American public education system is a complete joke compared to Europe & Asia.

I recommend visiting Chocolate Hills of Bohol, Dakak Beach Resort, Bohol Tropics Resort, see the smallest primate in the world http://www.bohol.ph/article15.html, and try the Durian in Davao http://junechua.suite101.com/durian--th ... ruit-a6845

I love Philippines with all my heart, that is why I am willing to criticize for the sake of improvement. I am open to any suggestions to make Philippines a vibrant and self-sufficient economy.

sacrifice." - José Rizal
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

You are talking about the Chinese who own businesses and run the economy. Which ones?

Now, what do you mean they are Chinese? Are they citizens of China/ TW? Do they control the economy of the Philippines from Beijing, Taipei or HK? Please elaborate. Because if they are citizens of the Philippines only, then they are not Chinese. Also, are they spreading communism or capitalism?

What land, businesses and other enterprises are controlled and/or owned by the Chinese/Taiwanese citizens? Can you give some examples?
I understand that foreigners cannot own neither land nor have more that 49 % stock in businesses. So, how is it they the control/own it? What are they grabbing?
Which banks are owned by rich Chinese? And are they Chinese or they are Filipino citizens who are of Chinese heritage? If it is the latter, then they are not foreigners and not Chinese.

I hardly ever see any Chinese anywhere in the Philippines. Koreans are everywhere though and they own businesses. I don't see many Americans either. Most white folks are not Americans here.

Please substantiate your statements with facts and stats.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Welcome to the forum, philosophical_fillipino. As a Korean American, I feel like I am qualified to answer your question about why Korea and the rest of Asia is racing ahead while the Philippines is not. The first and most important reason is simply education. In most Asian societies, education is stressed all throughout society, which is something sadly missing in Filipino society. The other reason has to do with the corrupt government of the Philippines that is severely limiting the economic potential of the country. You need a competent government in order to have a sustained economic growth in a country. Third, I think Filipino's in some ways, lack the kind of racial solidarity and pride found in many Asian races including Koreans, Chinese, and Indians.

I noticed many Filipino's tend to put down their own race down a lot and always look up to Westerners at the expense of their own. Filipino Americans are among the biggest self-hating Asians on the planet, especially the women. Why is that? Also, another aspect of economic growth and prosperity that is often missing in these kinds of debates is the idea of unity. A country cannot be so divided along class, religious, ethnic, or racial lines, or else you end up like the Balkans or ancient Rome, or the U.S. for example (a declining superpower).
targetguy
Freshman Poster

illigetimate children

Post by targetguy »

8) I have met a lot of different pi women and noticed many have illegitimate children. This seems common in the pi whereas not so in other cultures. There are no
child support laws there and if there are they dont seem to be inforced because this illigetimate problem is widespread there. Also the health costs are staggering and as high as the us in a lot of cases if the person doesnt have health insurance so that is another problem there besides the mass poverty and low wages. Until this and corruption in general is cleaned up i dont see why industry would relocate to a country where bribes are the norm and corruption everywhere.
no scammers
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanInMexico »

ladislav wrote: Because if they are citizens of the Philippines only, then they are not Chinese. Also, are they spreading communism or capitalism?

And are they Chinese or they are Filipino citizens who are of Chinese heritage? If it is the latter, then they are not foreigners and not Chinese.
You cannot change genetics. If a person is of Chinese genetics, then they are a Chinese person and will look, act, and THINK like a Chinese person, due to brain structures differing among races.

You ladislav are white. Do you honestly think if you had been born in China and spoke Chinese only, you would be considered a Chinese person of European heritage?

The reason the Chinese are able to go into the Philippines and be so successful is because the Chinese brain is better at business.

All this talk about being "Filipinos of Chinese descent" and not Chinese is just a semantic game. It doesn't matter what country they hold citizenship of; they still have Chinese genetics and that will determine their place in life.
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Filipinos cannot handle constructive criticism. They take everything personally and up the ass. You cannot hold logical arguments with them without offending them. Filipinos hold terrible grudges, I learned this from first-hand experience and observation.

The reason Philippines is a shithole is because the people do have a lack of love due to foreign domination and brainwashing thru the Chinese-Mestizo elite and the media. The foreign powers such as the Chinese control 90% of the nation's wealth. Their main loyalty isn't to the Philippines. It's to China. The Chinese live frugally and they aren't so concerned with buying the latest fashion trends. They are fiscally disciplined and are notorious big time savers.

Filipinos need strong, uncorrupted leadership. They need to stop selling out their lands and natural resources to foreign powers that don't give a shit about the people. Filipinos need to find dignity and respect for themselves to say they deserve a better life and recognition around the world.

I'm tired of the Filipino stereotype of just being a nice good drone slave worker. We're more passionate and better human beings than that.

sacrifice." - José Rizal
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

philosophical_filipino wrote:Filipinos cannot handle constructive criticism. They take everything personally and up the ass. You cannot hold logical arguments with them without offending them. Filipinos hold terrible grudges, I learned this from first-hand experience and observation.

The reason Philippines is a shithole is because the people do have a lack of love due to foreign domination and brainwashing thru the Chinese-Mestizo elite and the media. The foreign powers such as the Chinese control 90% of the nation's wealth. Their main loyalty isn't to the Philippines. It's to China. The Chinese live frugally and they aren't so concerned with buying the latest fashion trends. They are fiscally disciplined and are notorious big time savers.

Filipinos need strong, uncorrupted leadership. They need to stop selling out their lands and natural resources to foreign powers that don't give a shit about the people. Filipinos need to find dignity and respect for themselves to say they deserve a better life and recognition around the world.

I'm tired of the Filipino stereotype of just being a nice good drone slave worker. We're more passionate and better human beings than that.
Following a feudal model, the Philippines' elites are screwing ordinary Filipinos on a scale foreigners will never even have access to.
Diatribes against foreign exploitation are standard UP fare, a good smokescreen for who is really hosing who. Nearly immediately after independence, Luzon elites began raping the country on a level that an American governor even, would not have permitted.

However, your intentions and passion for the Philippines is excellent and admirable, and is similar to my own. I would suggest you contact me
in private mail.

Outwest
Misamis Oriental, Mindanao
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

AmericanInMexico wrote:
ladislav wrote: Because if they are citizens of the Philippines only, then they are not Chinese. Also, are they spreading communism or capitalism?

And are they Chinese or they are Filipino citizens who are of Chinese heritage? If it is the latter, then they are not foreigners and not Chinese.
You cannot change genetics. If a person is of Chinese genetics, then they are a Chinese person and will look, act, and THINK like a Chinese person, due to brain structures differing among races.

You ladislav are white. Do you honestly think if you had been born in China and spoke Chinese only, you would be considered a Chinese person of European heritage?

The reason the Chinese are able to go into the Philippines and be so successful is because the Chinese brain is better at business.

All this talk about being "Filipinos of Chinese descent" and not Chinese is just a semantic game. It doesn't matter what country they hold citizenship of; they still have Chinese genetics and that will determine their place in life.
Ah, you mean, once a Chink always a Chink and once a Jap always a Jap. The same philosophy that caused holocausts, internments and other such evils, etc. The OP was calling them greedy communists and foreigners. This is incredibly unfair and racist. And basically implying that they were not Filipinos. There are opinions and they are as numerous as there are a##holes but then there are laws that decide these things. And yes, citizenship matters. A person who is a citizen is not a foreigner. A person who is engaged in commerce is not a communist by the very definition. And who is Chinese and who is not is decided by guess who? China! Anywhere where these so called " Chinese" go, they will have to write their nationality as Filipinos. Unless they are dual nationals or something. Their loyalty is to China? Hmm, how do you know? Have you been to some secret ceremonies where hooded Chinese were ringing the gongs and secretly giving allegiance to the flag?

Also keep in mind that "Filipino" is a nationality created by Americans and is only some 100 years old. Originally only pure blooded Spaniards born on the islands were called Filipinos, the rest were called " Indians". It was Americans who began calling everyone there Filipinos. Why are people who are of Malay stock and whose ancestors also migrated to the Islands from somewhere else, as well, are Filipinos and those of Chinese descent are not?

As far as China goes, forget about birthplace. That is not the US. In Asia, they do not have Jus Solis. But if I were a national of China, I would be called a Middle Country Person and would have to put it in all my documents, and yes, I would be called Chinese although, I would not be called "Han". I would be a minority Chinese of whom there are 55. They would probably stick me with the white minority- maybe consider me a Russian, although they do have a category of "other". But yes, I would be called Chinese, believe it or not. How a man on the street would treat me is a whole different story but the latter is an informal opinion of what constitutes Chinese-ness. Not a law.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Pointing fingers at vast foreign conspiracies or ethnic factions is usually the last resort of angry impoverished people who have no agency. The Philippines could learn a lot by observing the failures of neighbors. In Indonesia Suharto (an ethnic "Indonesian") was screwing the country for decades and was working hand in hand with elite business tycoons who happened to be majority ethnic Chinese-Indonesian. Of course your average impoverished Indonesia blamed ethnic conspiracies for it because nationalism and ethnic nationalism is often the only way politically to draw together disparate parts of a population in a cause.

In that case it failed horribly. During the coup and "revolution" back in '98 the elite tycoons (Indonesian and ethnic Chinese-Indos alike) all took their billions and reinvested it elsewhere.. mostly in western shell companies or Singapore. Regular Indonesians took to the streets and vented their anger with anti-Chinese pogroms ransacking regular lower to middle class Chinese-Indonesians raping and looting.l

Shortly after that Indonesia went through a horrible second recession that was compounded by the '97 asian financial crisis and it's been a complete basket case every since. Guess what? The elites are still in charge of that country and actually most of the ones doing the serious political and economic screwing are fellow elite Indonesians who own vast monopolies.

Most of the land owning elite in SEA countries aren't ethnic Chinese but old established families that collect economic rent and parcel out the land to their tycoon friends. They monopolize agribusiness and keep the population impoverished, uneducated, and pointing at other people. It's the same thing in Thailand and Indonesia. Do some research at who the real land owners are..they are all "well respected" native names in the eyes of the citizens in those countries.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

ladislav wrote:The OP was calling them greedy communists and foreigners. This is incredibly unfair and racist. And basically implying that they were not Filipinos. .
This plays into the victim mentality that is prevalent with Filipinos. It's always someone else's fault. Back in the colonial days it was the fault of brutal Spanish and American imperialists (which it actually was.) However prior to western colonialism the Filipinos were split into warring island tribes fighting over scraps. Back in the asian dynasty era the Philippines "kingdoms" were essentially non players which means that they did not have much unity or coherence as one ethnic "group" even then.

Now it's time to blame other people..

After the colonial era it was the fault of greedy Filipino politicians. Now the blame is being shifted further afield to ethnic Chinese-Filipinos who are oddly being accused of being communist as well as unbridled capitalists. I bet if the country runs that portion of their citizenry off with pogroms like in Indonesia, a large portion of wealth will be shifted into safe keeping by all the elites and nothing will change. The problem isn't with ethnic factions or even the tycoon business class. It's the complacency of a people and the lack of ability to organize and effect meaningful social change through good governance.

The problem isn't the system it's the core which is rotten. It's the job of the people to rein in the ambitions of greedy politicians and the business elite who are the same everywhere. If the public is deferential or lacks understanding of these systems then the rich and powerful will just naturally exploit that to their advantage. That's why the whole concept of checks and balances was created in government.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Filipinos cannot handle constructive criticism. They take everything personally and up the ass. You cannot hold logical arguments with them without offending them. Filipinos hold terrible grudges, I learned this from first-hand experience and observation.
But there are ways such as advice and being nice and showing them that there is a reward, praising, etc. There is a Filipino approach that does seem to work provided someone has a better idea how to do things.
The reason Philippines is a shithole is because the people do have a lack of love due to foreign domination
Well, then how come all the oft colonized ( except Thailand) neighbors do not have the same problem? Vietnam was dominated by France, China and whatnot. Laos and Cambodia were dominated as well. Indonesia was under the very cruel Dutch rule for centuries. But those people sing songs in their langauge, wear native clothes and eat local food and are proud of their tradition while Filipinos are not as much Everywhere you go you see a Filipino with a T-shirt "USA" and in a karaoke, singing American songs all the time. Same in nightclubs. If you request a Filipino song they call you "corny" while a 1970ies American song is not corny?.

But an Indonesian does not put on a Holland T shirt, and a VNese does not sing French songs all the time. So, what gives?
and brainwashing thru the Chinese-Mestizo elite and the media.
Give examples how this elite brainwashes the locals, please.
The foreign powers such as the Chinese control 90% of the nation's wealth. Their main loyalty isn't to the Philippines. It's to China.
If they are not citizens of China and are Filipino citizens/nationals they are not a foreign power of any shape or form. They are Filipinos of Chinese heritage. The others could be called Filipinos of Malay heritage. Or Spanish heritage. All are just Filipinos by domestic and international law. And how do you know about their loyalty to China? Do they show up at Chinese embassies and swear in or something? Did you see it? They need a visa to go to China and will have their ass deported if they overstay it.
The Chinese live frugally and they aren't so concerned with buying the latest fashion trends. They are fiscally disciplined and are notorious big time savers.
So, why not learn from them?
Filipinos need strong, uncorrupted leadership. They need to stop selling out their lands and natural resources to foreign powers
Foreigners cannot buy land in the Philippines. And selling resources is called export. All countries do it.
Filipinos need to find dignity and respect for themselves to say they deserve a better life and recognition around the world.
Could start by asking what I can do for my country. Other SE Asia do not emigrate en mass and think it cool to come back with a foreign passport. They stay put and work hard.
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Philippines was a colony of Spain for 300 years. After the Spanish-American war, Philippines was betrayed by American imperialists and colonized for another 50 years. These foreign powers introduced religion, politics, and education to the Philippine system. But they exported the worst aspects of their ideological systems to manipulate the people for their own benefit. Philippines is an island nation of over 7,000+ islands. There are a variety of ethnic groups with their own languages (Visayan, Tagalog, Ilocano, Cebuano). It is very difficult to unite everyone since they have a crab/isolationist mentality. I agree that the problem lies with the psyche and behavior of the Filipino people. But there are sinister foreign forces at play that take advantage of the disunity of the Filipinos.

American PMCs (Blackwater) have bought the naval base of Subic Bay and are training mercenaries to conduct shadow raid missions in the country against suspected Islamic terrorists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPHGgOGL ... ideo_title The Philippine Constitution explicitly forbids foreign troops on its soil, yet its happening already. The Filipinos have sold out because they worship everything foreign. The Crab-Mentality draws suspicion and lack of faith amongst Filipinos to trust each other. Most Chinese consider themselves Han, of course 1 billion Chinese are going to accomplish great things if they're not busy fighting each other. Unity brings organized structure to progress domestically and internationally.

My rants against the Chinese are my own personal bias displeasure at watching non-ethnic Filipinos dominate every industry like greedy Jews. I'm not calling for genocide or extermination, just massive deportation like the Mexicans in the U.S. I'm just joking. Most of the intelligent and industrious Filipino citizens live abroad because there are simply no jobs for them back home. I'm getting discouraged because Philippines looks hopeless because the people themselves have given up and would rather live somewhere else than improve the quality of their countrymen.

I recommend the book A Country of Our Own Partitioning the Philippines by David C. Martinez. http://www.tomandcathymarking.com/revie ... ur_own.htm The author makes a powerful argument that the Philippines should be separate, autonomous regions since they can't get along for shit with each other. Filipinos are the most Americanized bunch of Asians and they lose ability to speak their native languages. This is tragic since they lose a part of their culture/identity.

sacrifice." - José Rizal