Filipinos are pleasantry addicts

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Filipinos are pleasantry addicts

Post by philosophical_filipino »

Filipinos have no problem criticizing others without any self-awareness. The majority of the nation is living in extreme poverty, yet they worship foreigners because they are rich and have a lot of material things. Just watch TFC's Wowowee program and all the hosts are light-skinned mestizos and the audience is mostly dark-skinned. White skin is considered beautiful in the Philippines, and many women are bleaching their skin to become more white. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/01/healt ... wanted=all I find this really sad and disgusting. European/American colonization of Asia has turned the populace into wanting to become white.

Filipinos hold grudges and they don't like to be criticized or challenged. They will stay mad at you for a long time and you won't even know it. Filipinos are too nice and don't want to offend anyone. Our "crab-mentality" causes fierce competition amongst ourselves to tear each other down. We lack unity and have lots of self-hatred due to foreign exploitation. The consumption addiction + ignorant self-awareness = lack of progress and innovation.

I am open to any suggestions to change the economic climate of the Philippines and spread liberated critical thinking to the masses in the Philippines.
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the
suffering itself because no heart has ever suffered when it goes in
search of its dream." - Paulo Coelho

"Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that
joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of
sacrifice." - José Rizal
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Re: Filipinos are pleasantry addicts

Post by Repatriate »

philosophical_filipino wrote: I am open to any suggestions to change the economic climate of the Philippines and spread liberated critical thinking to the masses in the Philippines.
The problems that are in the Philippines is not unique to only the Philippines but most of SE Asia. One of the biggest problems is that the country has allowed rich land owning gentry control over the Philippines. Wealth is concentrated in the hands of very few families who in turn use corruption to use politics and military as protection. All power is derived from land and the money that comes from it. If you notice in developed countries land and ownership laws are an integral part in creating and maintaining prosperity of the middle class.

The same thing occurs in Thailand but the difference is that there are still opportunities to become middle class. What hinders the Philippines' is the large population and relatively small land space. It's the same issues that Indonesia has. Both countries have enormous populations and a wealthy concentrated elite who own all the land. They create agricultural monopolies and branch their businesses out to take over the retail (department stores) and financial sectors (banks) too. You have a lot of people scrambling for very limited resources.

I'm not sure there is a good solution to the Philippines. I know many of the laws are copied directly from U.S. law but all that is meaningless if the concept of good governance doesn't exist in the culture. Another factor is leadership and the lack of an introspective public who are willing to do things ethically.

The reason why Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, and Korea were able to reduce their corruption to negligible levels was due to good leadership and a reformation of their social system.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Filipinos are pleasantry addicts

Post by zboy1 »

Repatriate wrote:
philosophical_filipino wrote: I am open to any suggestions to change the economic climate of the Philippines and spread liberated critical thinking to the masses in the Philippines.
The problems that are in the Philippines is not unique to only the Philippines but most of SE Asia. One of the biggest problems is that the country has allowed rich land owning gentry control over the Philippines. Wealth is concentrated in the hands of very few families who in turn use corruption to use politics and military as protection. All power is derived from land and the money that comes from it. If you notice in developed countries land and ownership laws are an integral part in creating and maintaining prosperity of the middle class.

The same thing occurs in Thailand but the difference is that there are still opportunities to become middle class. What hinders the Philippines' is the large population and relatively small land space. It's the same issues that Indonesia has. Both countries have enormous populations and a wealthy concentrated elite who own all the land. They create agricultural monopolies and branch their businesses out to take over the retail (department stores) and financial sectors (banks) too. You have a lot of people scrambling for very limited resources.

I'm not sure there is a good solution to the Philippines. I know many of the laws are copied directly from U.S. law but all that is meaningless if the concept of good governance doesn't exist in the culture. Another factor is leadership and the lack of an introspective public who are willing to do things ethically.

The reason why Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, and Korea were able to reduce their corruption to negligible levels was due to good leadership and a reformation of their social system.
Yes, and I would also say that unlike those other countries, education isn't as stressed in the Philippines, which leads to a poorly educated and poorly trained workforce.
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/06/ ... anked-poor
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on November 18th, 2019, 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

I don't know why you insist on bashing Filipinos so much. I can honestly say, Filipino men, as a group are the best guys I've ever worked with. Also, Filipinas, are the best girlfriends and wives in the world, generally speaking. I have more respect for Filipinos than the people of my own country.
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Post by philosophical_filipino »

I am not bashing or putting down my Filipino people. Most Filipinos are generally good-natured and friendly. I am merely pointing out the cultural/socio-economic flaws that are hindering the progress of the my ancestral country. Also, I don't want the Philippines to remain impoverished forever, it requires grass-roots movement and strong leadership to take it to the next level. Philippines is a resource-rich nation, with a large population = plentiful labor. The fears that it will become more Westernized is too late because the culture is heavily influenced by America food, clothing, music, and media.

I think the over-generalizations of which ethnic race makes a better wife/girlfriend are unfounded. There are good and bad apples all over the world. You need to examine the woman case by case on individual basis. A good woman is a good woman, no matter where she's from.
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the
suffering itself because no heart has ever suffered when it goes in
search of its dream." - Paulo Coelho

"Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that
joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of
sacrifice." - José Rizal
baletetree
Freshman Poster

Post by baletetree »

Taco wrote:I don't know why you insist on bashing Filipinos so much. I can honestly say, Filipino men, as a group are the best guys I've ever worked with. Also, Filipinas, are the best girlfriends and wives in the world, generally speaking. I have more respect for Filipinos than the people of my own country.
Don't worry about them. But allow me to give some insights.

Millions of overseas Filipino workers have to put up with demanding and sometimes unreasonable employers. This is true especially in Middle Eastern countries. So if Filipinos can't take criticism well then none of them would work in that part of the world.

A little courtesy goes a long way. Those who complain of Filipinos not taking criticism are usually rude people themselves who got stung in Filipino online forums.
Glory Glory YNWA
hillsboro
Freshman Poster

Post by hillsboro »

problems in the phills? THERE AINT NONE and the only way the phils will hav problems is if the white man takes over. Also as long as is no US women in the phils... the phils will be just fine. Problems?? lol.. this place is like heaven!! thanks, hillsboro... GOD bless
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Do we need anouther Japan there. I don´t know. Who needs Japan? For what? They even can not speak english.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

hillsboro wrote:problems in the phills? THERE AINT NONE and the only way the phils will hav problems is if the white man takes over. Also as long as is no US women in the phils... the phils will be just fine. Problems?? lol.. this place is like heaven!! thanks, hillsboro... GOD bless
What?!? I think you've been smoking too much shabu or something to be making that kind of a statement! :roll: :lol:
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
hillsboro
Freshman Poster

Post by hillsboro »

problems in the phills ..... i was tlkn/comparing to problems i had in the usa and there is no problems here in the phills for me...... and mrs S?? whats the problem? maybe you like guys and not hot phil girls? that could be a problem
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

hillsboro wrote:problems in the phills ..... i was tlkn/comparing to problems i had in the usa and there is no problems here in the phills for me...... and mrs S?? whats the problem? maybe you like guys and not hot phil girls? that could be a problem
You feel like a kid in a candy store, and compared to the dismal life in the USA, it is understandable. You perspective will be quite different
than someone who has spent years living here. If you take the time you will see that Mr S has lived here for years, and is way beyond
first impressions, as understandable as those first impressions might be. Rather than fling insults, if you took the time to think about it,
you would realize that a long term expats can be a valuable source of information. I am in the Southern part of the islands here, but Mr S is in
your area. Someone like Mr S is a good man to build bridges to if you have long term plans in the Philippines...

however, you can write it off to temporary insanity...what you are feeling now. It's the euphoria of escaping the men's mental prison in the USA, and experiencing the real world instead. On that basis alone, you are part of a tiny minority, that actually do something about changing their life.

Outwest,

Mindanao, Philippines
FreeYourMind
Freshman Poster

Post by FreeYourMind »

From reading Mr. S's posts, he is anything but "gay." I'm glad you're having a good time in the Phils my friend but yes please don't insult veteran posters of integrity. They are few and far between these days here. But do keep giving us your impressions of the Philippines.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Yeah, what I said was called being Sarcastic. Depending on how deprived you were in the States of manly type activities with the ladies, it usually takes a couple of years of continuous living in the Philippines before one comes to grips with what the true reality of the Philippines really is versus what tourists, short/part-timers perceive of the place.

BTW, you better start figuring out where you want to send your kid to school cause the general education system here in this country sucks to say the least. Pretty much private schools are the only way to go. And the decent ones are going to usually charge around 100K Pesos a year and up. If it's below that number it's probably not a good school. You gotta pay money in this country to give your kid a decent education. A lot of upper level families send their kids to private Catholic schools or private school branch run by one of the major Universities. Cavite isn't really know to have decent private schooling. You gotta move to Manila area, Alabang or Quezon City where the decent private schools are located.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
hillsboro
Freshman Poster

Post by hillsboro »

free .... i will do what ever i want..