Is a college degree worth it?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Is a college degree worth it?

Post by philosophical_filipino »

I got $10,000 in student loan debt and it pisses me off. I never wanted to go to college but my parents pressured me to go and said I would be a loser if I didn't. I totally regret going to college. I accept full responsibility for my mistakes and don't blame anyone but myself. All I want to do is play classical piano and travel the world. But my parents brainwashed me from childhood that success and happiness can only be obtained through getting a college degree.

I honestly believe college is a waste of time and money. You don't need a piece of paper to tell you how much you're worth. You don't need to get into huge amounts of debt. I could have never went to college, just worked, saved money, and have ZERO debt. Going to college was the biggest mistake of my life.

Anyone have similar thoughts/experiences?

Support Occupy Wall Street http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the
suffering itself because no heart has ever suffered when it goes in
search of its dream." - Paulo Coelho

"Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that
joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of
sacrifice." - José Rizal
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

We already have way too many threads on this topic. See: viewtopic.php?t=8948

$10,000 debt isn't that much for a graduate's degree. You can make that back in less than a year even working at a grocery store if you live with your parents. But you'll discover working dead-end jobs isn't that easy, being a professional student is much easier. You have doors open to you that people without degrees don't. Use that piece of paper to get a job abroad. Bottom line. A degree can be your ticket out of here. The purpose of college in America is to create an army of obedient white collar slaves. However not going to college hardly guarantees a better future.

You don't really have it that bad, better than most. Your parents are no different, they're all completely brainwashed by society with the importance of college and push their kids into it out of fear. But like the military, the reality of college doesn't match what you see on tv. But it takes real brains and ingenuity to make a good living without a college degree. Since you're American you probably don't have those traits so consider yourself very lucky for graduating. Just do yourself and humanity a big favor and forget everything you learned in college besides physics/math because it's all Marxist bullshit made to dumb you down.
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

@Herman Cain, Shut the f**k up! I'm just joking. Don't go get colon cancer.

I think it's an important issue because I believe people shouldn't be bankrupted over getting a college education. Public education should be free anyway since taxes pay for it. f**k these wars and corporate monopolies running inflation through the roof. Ron Paul is right to say END THE FED.

American values are individualism and competition to help foster greed/malice within the population to tear each other apart for the amusement of the 1%.

sacrifice." - José Rizal
Sexter
Freshman Poster

Post by Sexter »

OP dont' be a retard

the reason why you are so cynical about college is because you majored in a crap/cake major that got you to flip burgers. Major in something like nursing/engineering/business and notice how more doors open for you.

there are a lot of ways around not paying for college. Joining military, going to a 2 year community college first, applying for fafsa and fee waivers, going to state accredited school, etc.

I have my degree in business administration and i only have 4k in debt and i easily paid that off in 2 months of working.

college is useless because there's so many majors out there that has no practical use. If you majored in something that is worth while such as a trade skill or nursing/finance/engineering. It' not hard making 50k+ a year after your done with college
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

@Sexter, I never flipped burgers in my life you stupid faggot. I work 2 jobs. I never wanted to go to college. My parents/society brainwashed me from childhood that college is the only path to success/happiness. The student loan industry is a scam and they are knowingly lending money to unqualified 18 year olds who have uncertain career futures to pay back the loans. It's a vicious cycle perpetuated by Wall Street bankers.

That's great you're one of the lucky ones who got a job and no debt in this f***ed up economy. Just because you're the exception doesn't mean most people aren't suffering. If you want to be a selfish bastard who only cares about money/career, that's you. But me, as a human being, I don't need that shit to make me happy.

College is not for everyone. Every individual has the right to decide what they want for their lives.

f**k student loans. f**k debt. And f**k the 1%.

sacrifice." - José Rizal
Sexter
Freshman Poster

Post by Sexter »

@Sexter, I never flipped burgers in my life you stupid faggot. I work 2 jobs. I never wanted to go to college. My parents/society brainwashed me from childhood that college is the only path to success/happiness. The student loan industry is a scam and they are knowingly lending money to unqualified 18 year olds who have uncertain career futures to pay back the loans. It's a vicious cycle perpetuated by Wall Street bankers.
are you even reading my posts? it's not a BAD idea taking out student loans if you major in something that is lucrative outside of college. I majored in business and i happen to work in a bank. Paid off my student loan debt in a few months.

tell me something, what did you major in in college? Why are you so negative about school anyway? I know plenty of guys who went to college and are successful today. moreso, than guys who never went to school and work at dead-end blue collar jobs.

That's great you're one of the lucky ones who got a job and no debt in this f***ed up economy. Just because you're the exception doesn't mean most people aren't suffering. If you want to be a selfish bastard who only cares about money/career, that's you. But me, as a human being, I don't need that shit to make me happy.
if you are persistent enough and know the right people, it's not impossible to get a decent job. Jumping into a conclusion that i'm selfish because I CHOOSE to take responsibility in my life being going to college and having a good job is by far the stupidest SHIT i've ever read. Your negativity and your hatred on this just shows your lack of knowledge on the subject.
College is not for everyone. Every individual has the right to decide what they want for their lives.

f**k student loans. f**k debt. And f**k the 1%.
your right, college is not for everyone. This is why, for every 4 students that go to college, 1 will graduate.

again, what is your major in college anyway? and did you even graduate?
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

I have a B.S.N. I passed my N-CLEX & boards last February. My initial intention was just to help others. I just hate the hypocrisy of the health industry and I don't find joy in the activity anymore. My pure passion was always classical piano and world travel.

I hate business-ignorant types like you who assume everyone is lazy, stupid, and lower class just because college didn't work out for them. Your elitist attitude is disgusting and your arrogance is appalling. Every person has the right to live whatever lives they choose to live. That's great you work for the banking industry that systematically raped the middle class into bankruptcy. You should be proud of being a sociopathic vampire.

First, and foremost, I am a human being above all greed, selfishness, and blatant ignorance.

sacrifice." - José Rizal
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

If you like to play the piano and went to college to major in music theory, you might meet lots of pretty thin East Asian girls (music majors). At better music schools like Colburn or Juliart, they attract music majors from abroad -- I've meet pretty girls from Ukraine there. My cousin went to Colburn and he did his study abroad in Prague.

Girls who major in music tend to be pretty and slim w/long hair, but also lean toward clingy and emotional types. Just speaking from personal experience.

skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Post by skateboardstephen »

philosophical_filipino wrote:I have a B.S.N. I passed my N-CLEX & boards last February. My initial intention was just to help others. I just hate the hypocrisy of the health industry and I don't find joy in the activity anymore. My pure passion was always classical piano and world travel.

I hate business-ignorant types like you who assume everyone is lazy, stupid, and lower class just because college didn't work out for them. Your elitist attitude is disgusting and your arrogance is appalling. Every person has the right to live whatever lives they choose to live. That's great you work for the banking industry that systematically raped the middle class into bankruptcy. You should be proud of being a sociopathic vampire.

First, and foremost, I am a human being above all greed, selfishness, and blatant ignorance.
well said my freind.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Folks, if you want a tuition deal, look below ...

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/pr ... /index.php

An entire undergrad program from London University distance is < $8K USD.

And yes, some of the courses/majors are even from the London School of Economics, the Wharton/Univ of Chicago program of Europe.

Thus, if you need a degree, for the HR screeners, please think outside the box. You don't need to spend a fortune for a BA/BS. And if you later need to get a stateside masters in accounting, to sit for the US CPA exam, you can get a 1 year masters much cheaper than a 4 yr BS in accounting from a US school.

Also, if you're intent on working in the energy sector, move to Texas, gain residency and attend U Texas, U Houston, or Texas A&M for a much reduced price and intern at places like Shell or Conoco-Philips in Houston area.

Now, if none of the above are a fit for you, then go for a trade and forget college.
Sexter
Freshman Poster

Post by Sexter »

I have a B.S.N. I passed my N-CLEX & boards last February. My initial intention was just to help others. I just hate the hypocrisy of the health industry and I don't find joy in the activity anymore. My pure passion was always classical piano and world travel.
so you have a 4 year degree in nursing and yet you are still JADED about the concept of going to college? what gives? I know a lot of people who are registered nurses who make lots of $$ and are really doing good. I don't get why you are jaded about this. Maybe you got rejected by all of the hospitals for job interviews?
I hate business-ignorant types like you who assume everyone is lazy, stupid, and lower class just because college didn't work out for them.
since when did I imply that ppl without college degrees are lazy/stupid? Your lack of reading comprehension simply shows in this. My point is, a person with a relevant college degree will have more open doors compared to a guy with a high school diploma. I never disparaged people without college degrees,I believe this is your own personal issue.

take 2 guys who are equal in skillset/references/experience. One happens to have a college degree and the other only has a hs diploma, who do you think HR will hire or even call for an interview?
Your elitist attitude is disgusting and your arrogance is appalling. Every person has the right to live whatever lives they choose to live. That's great you work for the banking industry that systematically raped the middle class into bankruptcy. You should be proud of being a sociopathic vampire.

what the hell is your problem dude? do you always get this angry when someone disagrees with your narrow minded opinions?

[/list]
    Last edited by Sexter on October 21st, 2011, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Sexter
    Freshman Poster

Post by Sexter »

S_Parc wrote:Folks, if you want a tuition deal, look below ...

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/pr ... /index.php

An entire undergrad program from London University distance is < $8K USD.

And yes, some of the courses/majors are even from the London School of Economics, the Wharton/Univ of Chicago program of Europe.

Thus, if you need a degree, for the HR screeners, please think outside the box. You don't need to spend a fortune for a BA/BS. And if you later need to get a stateside masters in accounting, to sit for the US CPA exam, you can get a 1 year masters much cheaper than a 4 yr BS in accounting from a US school.

Also, if you're intent on working in the energy sector, move to Texas, gain residency and attend U Texas, U Houston, or Texas A&M for a much reduced price and intern at places like Shell or Conoco-Philips in Houston area.

Now, if none of the above are a fit for you, then go for a trade and forget college.
    this is actually good advice.

I went to a 2 year community college and transferred to a state college afterwards. Ended up getting a Finance degree in 5 years. With help from financial aid/parents/laons, when i got my degree i was only 4,000 in debt. In which i paid in less than 3 months.

I don't get why the OP is against people in college. Although the OP is correct on a lot of college majors being useless, and that college is mostly social conditioning. The investment does help if you have a relevant major.
    philosophical_filipino
    Freshman Poster

Again, Sexter all you see and care about is the money-factor. Life is more than just money. I didn't get rejected from anything. I applied to 10 different hospitals and got accepted by all of them. I work at a V.A. hospital, plus I teach piano lessons at a local college. You're not reading what I'm writing: I don't enjoy my current occupation. I never said I hate people who are in college or who have college degrees. Good for them, I'm happy for them. I truly believe life is a journey and we shouldn't be quick to judge others in their path.

And what kind of name is Sexter? That's the lamest, perverted name on this forum. So that means you cyber sex? That's pathetic. I'm not surprised since you banking types are sociopathic monsters who don't care about anyone else but yourselves and don't hesitate to ruin other peoples' lives for the sake of profits. I bet the only sex you get is buying prostitutes, because any normal girl wouldn't give you the time of day. I actually respect women. You need to take real man lessons from a real man like me. You should grow some balls and learn some respect.

I'm a sucka-free boss. The only narrow-minded person is you Sexter. Grow a personality sucka.

sacrifice." - José Rizal
    Sexter
    Freshman Poster

Post by Sexter »

Again, Sexter all you see and care about is the money-factor. Life is more than just money. I didn't get rejected from anything. I applied to 10 different hospitals and got accepted by all of them. I work at a V.A. hospital, plus I teach piano lessons at a local college. You're not reading what I'm writing: I don't enjoy my current occupation. I never said I hate people who are in college or who have college degrees. Good for them, I'm happy for them. I truly believe life is a journey and we shouldn't be quick to judge others in their path.
    that's funny. You criticize education/college/etc etc. but yet you are the one who is the biproduct of the system. You say you don't enjoy your career? then why the hell did you follow society/parents advice? Because you TOO are a biproduct of the system.

It's apparent you cannot refute any of my points, and just constitute to personal attacks. yeah bro, if you refute my points, i will take you seriously. Until then, you are the best keyboard warrior on this forum. Again, here are my points

1. take 2 people with equal skillset/experience/references. 1 with a college degree and the other with a HS diploma, who will HR hire or call for a job interview first?

2. having a relevant college degree (nursing/engineering/finance/accounting/or any trade skill you enjoy such as IT/computer science/mechanic/etc) will have a good turnout for having a career when your done with college

3. you can save a lot of $$ by going to a community college/joining the military/applying for fafsa/etc. So the constant bashing of education being a waste of money just shows that you weren't smart enough to view your different options.

And what kind of name is Sexter? That's the lamest, perverted name on this forum. So that means you cyber sex? That's pathetic. I'm not surprised since you banking types are sociopathic monsters who don't care about anyone else but yourselves and don't hesitate to ruin other peoples' lives for the sake of profits. I bet the only sex you get is buying prostitutes, because any normal girl wouldn't give you the time of day. I actually respect women. You need to take real man lessons from a real man like me. You should grow some balls and learn some respect.

I'm a sucka-free boss. The only narrow-minded person is you Sexter. Grow a personality sucka.
    lol jesus man, calm down. I'm not attacking you. Simply using personal insults in an argument automatically makes you have less credibility. People who can't control their "keyboard warrior" emotions and lash it on someone else is hilarious.

Fact is, you don't know me. You don't know anything about the business field, so calling us sociopaths or vampires just shows your lack of knowledge of my occupation

philosophical filipino=best keyboard warrior on this board

lol
    Sexter
    Freshman Poster

Post by Sexter »

f**k, i've never owned a dude this bad in my life. I guess i'm a better keyboard warrior than philisophical filipino

lol