Critique of the Philippines and Filipino culture

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

ladislav wrote:You are talking about the Chinese who own businesses and run the economy. Which ones?

Now, what do you mean they are Chinese? Are they citizens of China/ TW? Do they control the economy of the Philippines from Beijing, Taipei or HK? Please elaborate. Because if they are citizens of the Philippines only, then they are not Chinese. Also, are they spreading communism or capitalism?

What land, businesses and other enterprises are controlled and/or owned by the Chinese/Taiwanese citizens? Can you give some examples?
I understand that foreigners cannot own neither land nor have more that 49 % stock in businesses. So, how is it they the control/own it? What are they grabbing?
Which banks are owned by rich Chinese? And are they Chinese or they are Filipino citizens who are of Chinese heritage? If it is the latter, then they are not foreigners and not Chinese.

I hardly ever see any Chinese anywhere in the Philippines. Koreans are everywhere though and they own businesses. I don't see many Americans either. Most white folks are not Americans here.

Please substantiate your statements with facts and stats.
The term "Chinese" can refer to a nationality (PRC citizen) or ethnicity. And the latter category is commonly used by "Chinese" and non-Chinese to refer to people of Chines ethnicity all over the world. So ethnic Chinese who are citizens of the Republic of Philippines are Chinese. You are clearly wrong here because your narrow interpretation of the term "Chinese" only acknowledges its use as a nationality but not an ethnicity.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

philosophical_filipino wrote:Filipinos cannot handle constructive criticism. They take everything personally and up the ass. You cannot hold logical arguments with them without offending them. Filipinos hold terrible grudges, I learned this from first-hand experience and observation.

The reason Philippines is a shithole is because the people do have a lack of love due to foreign domination and brainwashing thru the Chinese-Mestizo elite and the media. The foreign powers such as the Chinese control 90% of the nation's wealth. Their main loyalty isn't to the Philippines. It's to China. The Chinese live frugally and they aren't so concerned with buying the latest fashion trends. They are fiscally disciplined and are notorious big time savers.

Filipinos need strong, uncorrupted leadership. They need to stop selling out their lands and natural resources to foreign powers that don't give a shit about the people. Filipinos need to find dignity and respect for themselves to say they deserve a better life and recognition around the world.

I'm tired of the Filipino stereotype of just being a nice good drone slave worker. We're more passionate and better human beings than that.
Good points. I've noticed the same things. No wonder why Filipinos seem to give me extra respect when they see me. I guess if the Chinese own their industries, then they pay them extra respect. Plus I have a sincere intelligent kind look, not an a-hole look or a sheepish look.

I don't get something though. Foreigners are not allowed to own land or businesses in the Philippines. So how did the Chinese and Koreans come to own so many? Ladislav asked this question too.

Also, I heard that China sends its worst products to be sold in the Philippines, and its best products go to America. Is that true?

I'm also very frugal, like many Chinese are. Maybe it's in my blood. lol Filipina girls hate that. They expect me to spend as though I had bottomless pockets. So I often disappoint them and contradict their expectations of me. They expect all foreigners to be Santa Clauses, including poor college students and backpackers, which is illogical. But then again, logic doesn't seem to exist in the Philippines. lol

Even if the Philippines had a strong leadership, as soon as a leader changes the status quo, he is assassinated right? The elite prefer the status quo, don't they? Change is very difficult. It has to come from the masses.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Post by philosophical_filipino »

You ask why so many Chinese and Koreans own industries in the Philippines. It's the same reason why Blackwater has mercenaries on Philippine soil. The corrupt politicians of Manila are bought and paid for, and the foreign powers that have sinister intentions run amok in the country. Money is power, and the politicians are paid for by corporate cash flow. The Tagalog minority that are in power don't care about the rest of the country as long as themselves and their families are filthy rich.

Han Chinese is what 99% of PRC considered themselves as ethnic Chinese. This issue that Chinese are Filipino citizens, therefore they are automatically loyal to their host country. That's not true at all. Look at America, those neoconservatives are U.S. citizens right? But they argue for perpetual war using middle class to low income class young men and women to fight their wars. These neo-cons want to attack Iran so bad, they'll make up fake reasons to go to war. They have no conscience. Same thing with the Spanish-Mestizos and the Chinese who control all the wealth in the Philippines and let the 99% population be homeless and hungry. Filipino kids would fight to the death over a piece of bread. They're starving to death over there.

Filipinos are vain and selfish, while their nation falls apart all around them being manipulated by foreigners who suck the country's wealth dry like vampires.

Manny Pacquiao will probably be president, because Filipinos have a track record for putting movie star actors into office, but he has a 4th grade education and isn't really a highly intelligent person. Yes, he made millions punching people in the face and he's a boxing legend. But he will be manipulated by his own corrupt advisors and be influenced by higher interests such as the Chinese business lobby.
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the
suffering itself because no heart has ever suffered when it goes in
search of its dream." - Paulo Coelho

"Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that
joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of
sacrifice." - José Rizal
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

You ask why so many Chinese and Koreans own industries in the Philippines. It's the same reason why Blackwater has mercenaries on Philippine soil. The corrupt politicians of Manila are bought and paid for, and the foreign powers that have sinister intentions run amok in the country.
The Chinese are not Chinese. They are Filipinos of Chinese heritage. Then you have Filipinos of Malay heritage. Who is to say who is more Filipino and who is not? If they are citizens, then they should have no problems owning businesses. Koreans are probably following the law and getting a Filipino partner at least on paper. I don't think it is the same case with Blackwater.
Money is power, and the politicians are paid for by corporate cash flow. The Tagalog minority that are in power don't care about the rest of the country as long as themselves and their families are filthy rich.
Well, then everyone is a minority. Because no group is a majority in the Philippines.
Han Chinese is what 99% of PRC considered themselves as ethnic Chinese. This issue that Chinese are Filipino citizens, therefore they are automatically loyal to their host country...
Well, they are loyal to other ethnic Chinese family and business-wise, but would you blame them? Same with most Malay Filipinos. They are loyal to their family. Politically, all are citizens of RP and not of China. They pay taxes and they vote. What else do you want them to do? Sing the national anthem on the streets?
Look at America, those neoconservatives are U.S. citizens right? But they argue for perpetual war using middle class to low income class young men and women to fight their wars.
But these are not an ethnic group. A false analogy.
These neo-cons want to attack Iran so bad, they'll make up fake reasons to go to war.
Sources, please.

Same thing with the Spanish-Mestizos and the Chinese who control all the wealth in the Philippines and let the 99% population be homeless and hungry.
Please support your 99% claim. Everywhere I go, I see people having homes and eating. I see tons of businesses run by people of all ethnic backgrounds. I see taxi drivers, trycicle drivers that have homes and food.

Filipino kids would fight to the death over a piece of bread. They're starving to death over there.
I dont think so. I am here in Pampanga and been to Bohol and people have food and shelter and most have cellphones. Homelessness is very rare and so is starvation.
Filipinos are vain and selfish, while their nation falls apart all around them being manipulated by foreigners who suck the country's wealth dry like vampires.
Name the foreigners? the ethnic Chinese are not foreigners. The Koreans employ oodles of Filipinos and give them jobs with salaries. Very few Americans own businesses here and the ones who do employ the locals and pay wages and the people can eat and pay rent etc. The US military used to be the biggest employer in RP. They gave jobs to many many people.
Manny Pacquiao will probably be president, because Filipinos have a track record for putting movie star actors into office, but he has a 4th grade education and isn't really a highly intelligent person.
This I may agree with but again, it is a speculation and an opinion.
Yes, he made millions punching people in the face and he's a boxing legend. But he will be manipulated by his own corrupt advisors and be influenced by higher interests such as the Chinese business lobby
Filipinos of Chinese descent. Please do not confuse them with the real Chinese- citizens of China.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

You don't see homelessness and starvation in the Philippines? Are you blind? There's squatter communities all over the place. They don't own the make-shift shafts they live in and they can barely feed their families. http://www.bukisa.com/articles/274658_s ... hilippines

Chinese and Korean businesses do employ Filipinos, but they keep the profits for themselves and don't re-invest it back into the country. The elite in Manila in collusion with the wealthy Chinese businessmen seek to dominate and undermine 99% of the impoverished of the Philippines. I seek to promote more Filipino-owned and run businesses. Microlending is a huge profitable business venture in the Philippines because many people lack jobs to support themselves and require instant capital to keep afloat. http://lnweb90.worldbank.org/oed/oeddoc ... F5005D8E5D
http://www.powerhomebiz.com/guide/cases/noel.htm

America already invaded Iraq (No WMDs were ever found) and Afghanistan (Osama Bin Laden was killed in Pakistan), so what makes you think Iran isn't next? Iran is justified in its paranoia and self-defense of its people from American aggression.

Face it, China has a huge trade surplus and owns most of America's debt. They are modernizing their military and seek to expand their geo-political influence abroad. China is the rising Red Dragon.

sacrifice." - José Rizal
Sexter
Freshman Poster

Post by Sexter »

i'm Filipino american, son of filipino immigrants.

The philippine economy is in shambles because it's corrupt. too many government officials not allocating the tax dollars correctly and thus, you have a surplus of poor people in the philippines.

Even if you have a good job in the philippines (engineer/nurse/doctor). it's equivalent to that if a minimum wage job int he USA (6$ an hour). This is why, so many filipinos go elsewhere to find work.

A good example of this is a nurse. A registered nurse in the philippines make about 400$ a month working full time, whereas an RN in america can make 4,000 a month working full time. Reason why is because there's a surplus of education such as nursing that too many people are applying for jobs, thus lowering the wages.

after reading the OP's first post, i will have to agree on this. our culture isn't the deepest culture at all, it's still a 3rd world country. It's not like japan/china where it has a rich past and rich cultural lifestyle. This is why, filipinos tend to assimilate more to the american culture without having too much pride in their homeland.
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

I agree that in America you can make more money. Philippines doesn't pay its workers shit. The elite of Manila are sucking the country dry while its people suffer. The rice-engineering developed in Thailand were by Filipino engineers. Filipinos are dying to come to America similiar to how the Mexicans cross the border. The economic opportunity of America cannot be denied.

Philippines is a beautiful island paradise, but its an economic shithole compared to the rest of the developed world.

sacrifice." - José Rizal
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

philosophical filipino,
Can you address these 2 financial mysteries in the Philippines?

viewtopic.php?t=10614
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

philosophical filipino,
So when are you going to the Philippines again? It'd be great to meet up with you. It's rare to meet another Asian who is philosophical. Most Asians, at least 99 percent I think, are pure sheep who do nothing but obey and conform.

So you grew up in the US? In what state? Why didn't you become Americanized like other Filipinos there?

Also, how did you find this site? From where?

There is a forum I visit sometimes called PinoyExchange. It is the largest Filipino forum. There is a section there called Realm of Thought, where intellectual types hang out. You can try posting your questions there about how to improve the Philippines.

philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Most Asians conform to the American/European expectations because the history of Euro-American colonization of Asia for so many years. The Japanese were obliterated into submission by the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. China has embraced Western style capitalism. Philippines is a failed state of American colonization. Hong Kong and Singapore actually benefited from British colonization because the English actually emphasized higher education and built up the infrastructure in those countries. Compare British colonies vs. Spanish colonies, and you'll see a huge difference in terms of economic progress.

I was born and grew up in Chicago. I love Chicago, it's a truly international city with a small-midwestern class atmosphere. The people are generally very friendly and polite. However, the the majority of women are total sociopathic, narcissistic status-driven sluts. If they perceive the male as lower value, they would ignore the shit out of him. Most of these girls are spoiled with major attitude problems. Chicago is pretty expensive place to rent, but it's still affordable if you have a decent paying career. You just walk around Lincoln Park Area, especially near the DePaul campus, and you'll see the most gorgeous women from all over the world. No lie. They are hot as hell. It's like walking through a garden of eden, but with lots of hot girls. I went to a Catholic elementary school called St. Marys from 1st grade to 8th grade. My first girlfriend was Rachel in 7th grade, she was Czechslovakian/Italian. She was the hottest girl @ that place, and she wanted to be my girlfriend. Don't hate the player, hate the game. The reason why I'm not like most Asians was because I am a contrarian by nature. I don't follow the crowd, and I question whatever authority tells me to be true. I don't care about being popular or having the most friends. I care about social justice, the truth, and high-quality deep relationships. I am open-minded person that loves classical piano and wants to see the world. Most Americans never left the U.S., so how can they claim America is #1 if they never been overseas to compare?

"The quick answer is: Yes, most Americans do not have a passport. The number of Americans who have a passport, according to the most recent statistics issued by the State Department in January of 2011, is 114,464,041.

Given the country’s population of 307,006,550, about 37% of the population has one. This means that nearly 2 out of 3 Americans can’t even fly to Canada, let alone travel to anywhere else in the world (new rules allow those with “Passport Cards� to travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean and Bermuda, but they are not allowed to be used for international air travel. There are about 3.5 million Americans who have this card.)" http://www.theexpeditioner.com/2010/02/ ... assport-2/

I went to a public high school out in the suburbs. It was a hellish, nightmare experience. The Chinese kids viciously bullied me just because I was a Filipino. I never did anything to them. They have this hierarchy of Asians where Filipinos are at the bottom and seen as less than shit. This is what makes me angry because native Filipinos are maids and servants to the rich Chinese. That's how Chinese view Filipinos, like slave labor. Chinese are too proud and anything confronting their national pride is met with indignant rage. All the Chinese kids at high school bullied me, even ones I didn't know and never talked to. It was a chink conspiracy against me.

sacrifice." - José Rizal
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I see. What about my other three questions? See below.

So when are you going to the Philippines again? It'd be great to meet up with you. It's rare to meet another Asian who is philosophical. Most Asians, at least 99 percent I think, are pure sheep who do nothing but obey and conform.

Also, how did you find this site? From where?

There is a forum I visit sometimes called PinoyExchange. It is the largest Filipino forum. There is a section there called Realm of Thought, where intellectual types hang out. You can try posting your questions there about how to improve the Philippines.

philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

I am going back to the Philippines this April 2012. I am staying 3 months. Chicago winters are brutally cold.

I found this site through http://www.singledudetravel.com, the section where foreigners sent you letters about living America and how shitty it was for them.

I generally don't like talking to other Filipinos. They love America up the ass too much. Filipinos get offended very easily and rarely use logic to counter-argue me effectively. Emotion is a dangerous beast when unrestrained.

Chinese were mean bastards to me during high school. f**k those chinks!

sacrifice." - José Rizal
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

philosophical_filipino wrote:I am going back to the Philippines this April 2012. I am staying 3 months. Chicago winters are brutally cold.

I found this site through http://www.singledudetravel.com, the section where foreigners sent you letters about living America and how shitty it was for them.

I generally don't like talking to other Filipinos. They love America up the ass too much. Filipinos get offended very easily and rarely use logic to counter-argue me effectively. Emotion is a dangerous beast when unrestrained.

Chinese were mean bastards to me during high school. f**k those chinks!
That's interesting philosophical_filipino. In my case, it was the Filipinos that looked down on other Asians. They always wanted to be considered "non-Asians." I describe my high school social scene as such: The Chinese kids were often very isolated from other races; They were for the most part nice and genuine, only interested in academics. Koreans, could alternate between friendly or nasty, depending on the group. Thai's and Vietnamese were pretty cool in general. The Filipinos in my school didn't like the other Asians. Also, for some reason, many Filipino girls I knew were extreme self-haters and loved to whore for non-Asian men. You are also right about one thing, many Filipinos are way too "Americanized" for my liking. What's there to like about America? Asian men are less than garbage in the hierarchical structure of the racial pecking order here. I'm so glad the U.S. is imploding from within.
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Don't get me wrong. America has strong pros and cons. I am an ardent supporter of capitalism/entrepreneurship. I believe in libertarian values of limited government and protection of private property rights. U.S. isn't perfect, but it's relatively peaceful and stable compared to many other countries.

@zboy1, understand this, America colonized the Philippines for 50 years after the Spanish-American war. Americans, in general, don't view Filipinos as exotic Asian as the rest of the Orientals. Philippines is heavily Americanized from its food to media. Most Filipino-Americans have lost their ability to speak their native Tagalog, Visayan languages. This is a huge tragedy because it confuses them and they lose their cultural identity. I speak 4 languages, I taught myself mostly using Rosetta Stone. I know English, Spanish, Portuguese, and German.

The Chinese in my high school were very mean to me. They called Filipinos "not real Asians", "not pure", and "servants/maids." The Chinese elite really do look down upon Filipinos. I want to restore the respect and integrity to the Filipino people. We are a friendly, adaptable, and brave people.

sacrifice." - José Rizal
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

zboy1 wrote:Also, for some reason, many Filipino girls I knew were extreme self-haters and loved to whore for non-Asian men. You are also right about one thing, many Filipinos are way too "Americanized" for my liking. What's there to like about America? Asian men are less than garbage in the hierarchical structure of the racial pecking order here. I'm so glad the U.S. is imploding from within.
America sucks for a lot of reasons and across a wide spectrum of people but that's a bit harsh. I think it's a good country if you are down and out in the world and want to rely on hard work to get yourself up to middle class. America was certainly good for my parents and definitely for me as well. I understand my relative education, opportunities, etc.. is in large part due to growing up in America. Although I do admire the newer generation of upper middle class asians I see who didn't leave asia. They seem to live the complete package with a large abundance of beautiful women at their beck and call, high status jobs, good education, supportive social environment etc..

Those people are a small minority in SE Asia though but they do live a blessed existence.