MEXICO: Success Story from an Asian-American College Student

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

MEXICO: Success Story from an Asian-American College Student

Post by Falcon »

I am a young undergraduate college student currently living in Southern California. Like Winston, I am an American-born Taiwanese (although for whatever reason people often think I look Filipino :) ). I make new friends easily, am multilingual, and have friends from all sorts of ethnic backgrounds. But despite having a relatively good build, height, personality, etc., I still found it hard to date and become romantically involved with American-raised girls in the US, no matter what their ethnic background is. The main exception would be newly arrived immigrant girls and girls who don't fit into specific social cliques here in the US. It's easy to meet new girls on college campuses under CERTAIN circumstances (like at a club or social event, NOT a cold approach), but nearly 100% of the time, I would end up "friend-zoning" all of them. Sure, we're good friends, we "hang out," but we could never take it to the romantic level. They would be "too busy," the vibe would be missing, they'd be taken, or want to be single, and so on. I do believe there are great American girls, but it's ridiculously hard to find and approach them.

NOT JUST NONSENSE - IT'S TRUE STUFF!

When I first stumbled across HappierAbroad, I thought this website was full of nonsense. But as I experienced college even more, I soon realized that Winston was right on. When I went to Mexico by myself, I could see that the claims on HappierAbroad were uncannily true. I came across well-written books by academics, such as "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" and "The Narcissism Epidemic" (thanks, Steve Neese!), and realized that this is a real-world phenomenon that Winston had recognized long ago, but which academics are only beginning to become aware of.

THE SCHOOL BUS IS FILLED TO THE MAX, YET EVERYONE IS ALONE

I have a female friend about my age who says she finds it hard to talk to random people on the bus. And I was surprised to hear this coming from a GIRL. (Let alone if you're a guy trying to talk to a girl on the bus!) She was a cute girl who loved to talk, and was super friendly, but she said she was the type who couldn't really find a lot of good friends in college. In other words, she was more genuine and wasn't the kind who would put on superficial personalities in order to fit into social cliques.

Everyday, I ride the university shuttle that takes students from the campus to various off-campus apartment complexes, and you could feel that typical American social disconnection once you step right into the bus. Now those buses would be filled to maximum capacity, but no one would ever talk to each other, except if they're people in the same "clique" (like frat, club, or Christian fellowship). More than half of all the people on the bus are completely insulated by their earbuds as they're listening to their iPods and MP3 players, or texting / going on Facebook on their iPhones. Of course they would have the "don't talk to me" aura and expression on their faces. A few times when I asked people whether I'm on the right bus or not, they just took their earbuds off of a few seconds, gave me a blank stare, and then put their earbuds back on without saying anything. And the other half would simply stare blankly into the air and look depressed all the way.

And when you walk across campus, lots of people - everywhere - would be walking around with earbuds and headphones on. How are other people supposed to talk to you and get to know you if you've isolated yourself in your little "iWorld" on purpose?

ADVENTURES IN MEXICO

I took a few trips down to central and southern Mexico just for the thrill and adventure of exploring a new country. Instead of going to the cliche tourist destinations of Cabo San Lucas or Cancun, I decided to experience the real Mexico by traveling around the heart of the country. I wasn't even looking for love, but somehow that also became part of my adventures! Although I traveled by myself to my destinations, for the most part I was interacting and traveling with other people when I was down in Mexico. Of course Americans told me I was going to get shot, but well, that's just their mentality.

So when I went down to rural central/southern Mexico, things were VERY different. Since I speak fluent Spanish with a good Mexican accent, many people there would think I'm a local "chino mexicano." In Mexico, people would ask me where my wife was, whereas most people in the US would simply assume that I'm single. One friend I met there said that he would really want me to marry his younger sister. He was really blunt about his intentions, and said that while I could get a good wife here, she would probably be able to bring her family members over to the US too.

Some girls flirted with me in ways that sort of shocked me - before that, I never knew that girls could ACTUALLY act that way! Back in the US, the most I would get is gay guys telling me that I'm good looking, but American girls would hardly want to talk to me, let alone flirt with me. When I was in Guerrero, some teenage girls all wanted to take their pictures with me, and I took a picture of them too. At a fiesta in the state of Mexico, dozens of girls in their 20's were lining up to dance with me, el "chino vaquero" (I had my Mexican cowboy hat on). A random girl in Jalisco kissed me on the cheek just for the heck of it. The list goes on and on.

And people would be walking around the streets! People walking, taking the bus everywhere, while talking to each other! That kind of interaction on Mexican streets was so uncommon in the US (maybe except for downtown party districts on the weekends). In the US, the suburban streets would be completely empty, with glum-looking Americans driving their shiny cars everywhere by themselves.

Even the music sounded a lot more energetic and happier. The folksy, rustic-sounding norteno, banda, and duranguense music would be playing everywhere I'd go. Americans would tell me that their music sounded "so happy." Well, I guess when you compare that to depressing/angry American rock music, or bland mass-produced pop music, Mexican regional music does sound a lot more light-hearted and happier.

The hostels would be totally vibrant too. The European, Australian, Japanese, and Mexican tourists there would be loads of fun to talk to. A hostel employee even took me around the countryside in his car as we toured various Indian villages and archaeological sites.

Some places I've been to are Baja California, Sonora, Sinaloa, Jalisco, Guanajuato, Michoacan, Guerrero, and Mexico City. They're all great places! Mexicali, Guadalajara, and Mexico City had large Chinese communities too, and I enjoyed meeting fellow Chinese folks there who ran "restaurantes chinos." Nothing like wontons with tortillas!

AND YES, I FINALLY MET MY GIRL TOO

I now have a girlfriend about my age in rural Michoacan, Mexico, and she is one of the most down-to-earth and genuine girls I've ever met in my life. In fact, I met her less than one week after traveling through south-central Mexico. During that leg of my adventure, I was exploring a natural reserve up in the sierras. She was the first girlfriend I've ever had, although I did have dates back in high school that never evolved into any sort of long-term relationship. We communicate the old-fashion style - by phone, and speak only in Spanish, since she is a monolingual Spanish speaker. She doesn't have a computer, iPhone, or a Facebook/MySpace account (which I honestly think corrupts a lot of American girls). The topics we talk about would immediately repel many American college girls - and those are topics such as family (American girls: "Eww, no, OMG I hate my parents" :P ), US-Mexico migration patterns, religion, and life on a Mexican farm. We'd even sing lots of Spanish songs together on the phone - which I just can't imagine doing with a girl from my school. Once she even wrote a poem for me, and read it over the phone to me!

Unlike many college girls here, she doesn't drink or do drugs, put on lots of makeup, or wear provocative clothing. She is a very family-oriented person who could care less about trends in pop culture, junk Hollywood movies, pointless gossip, "come join our club [i.e., clique]", "what grades are you getting in O-chem," or "need to get into the best grad school" (often the only topics American college girls would ever talk about). It's sad how overwhelmingly materialistic and shallow these American college girls would be. They might be great at making a living, but not at making a life.

My girl in Mexico is not a gold digger either. Once I offered to buy her a computer so that we could communicate more often, but she flat out refused, saying that she ever that a computer, she would only get one with her own money. When I asked if she wanted to come to the US, she said that her dream is for me to stay in Mexico with her forever, though we agreed that wouldn't be realistic.

And Asian male - local female couples are actually quite common in Latin America, Southeast Asia, Oceania, and so on, so most Mexicans wouldn't show a lot of surprise when I told them I had a Mexican girlfriend. But among white Americans and Asian Americans in suburban America, this would usually provoke responses such as "Umm, that's weird - in Mexico? Long-distance? Why?" Ah-hem, I feel far closer to her than I've ever had with American girls. Our relationship works, and I'm gonna stick with it.

P.S.

I've also chatted via webcam Filipinas I met online, and their tremendous level of friendliness would also surprise me. They wouldn't even try to get money from me - they'd just want me to be their online buddy. In one chat session, one girl said, "Aaah! Ang CUTE mo!" as her friend sat beside her. Then the two Filipina girls fought over the keyboard, and the other girl pushed her friend to the side as she took over and asked me, "Hey, what's your name?" This is like night and day compared to the US!

Final word: Just go abroad. It really makes a difference. Your experience will also be exponentially better if you know the language and culture well. If I never had the guts to go down to Mexico, I would most likely still be your typical single American male.

Feel free to give comments, ask me questions, or give suggestions. Thanks everyone!

FOLLOW-UP
My Mexican girlfriend vs. American college girls
viewtopic.php?t=11828
Last edited by Falcon on November 10th, 2011, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

That's one good post!^

And I know what you mean about all these people walking around with their ipods on. They are at the gym as well I see them in use in study halls and I really can't stand it.

Don't get me wrong, I love (rare underground) music (even Mexican rap like Brownside ) , but I set a time and place to listen to music alone because it's scared to me and I want to enjoy the euphoric feelings that the music gives me.
Last edited by NorthAmericanguy on November 7th, 2011, 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

I admit you asian guys have it a little harder.

But don't think for a second anyone of the same mind set has it better off.

Anyone who isn't in a click or fit in with the mass norms will find them selvs alienated quick, even more so with women.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

I admit you asian guys have it a little harder.

But don't think for a second anyone of the same mind set has it better off.

Anyone who isn't in a click or fit in with the mass norms will find them selvs alienated quick, even more so with women.
Personally I believe it has a lot more to do with personality than ethnic background or race. I have a close friend who's Mexican-American, and he's having just as hard a time as I am. He's asked out several girls in my school, and in one case it turned out to be a horrible experience, with the girl yelling at him in front of all her friends. He also says that he doesn't fit in with the girls here, since he just doesn't get the right "vibe" off them. To fit in more, you'd have to be more of a stereotypical SoCal suburban preppy kid. He's only dated one girl in his entire life, and that was another Mexican-American girl that he had recently broken up with.

We both have many things in common. For instance, we're:
(1) Nice guys; we're not "bad boys"
(2) Intellectuals who love academic discussions
(3) Have many interesting friends from various backgrounds; we're very talkative and easy to get along with
(4) Pretty decent looking, but just can't seem to get the girls
(5) Not the typical conformist college kid
(6) International types - we are into all sorts of different world cultures

And I know what you mean about all these people walking around with their ipods on. They are at the gym as well I see them in use in study halls and I really can't stand it.

Don't get me wrong, I love (rare underground) music (even Mexican rap like Brownside ) , but I set a time a place for music because it's scared to me and I want to enjoy the euphoric feelings that it gives me.
I love listening to music on my headphones too, but inside my own room. All types of genres too. I don't walk around everywhere with them - it just makes one look somewhat isolated and anti-social.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Well, I'm really happy to hear your story its truely inspiring.

Things I like about Mexican women.

1. Friendly and easy to please
2. Big Boobs
3. They like cooking Mexican food(my favorite)

The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Guess what?

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

If I had the money, I would love to take a little vacation in Mexico. Unfortunately, I do not know that much Spanish. I understand that it would take me a very long time to learn JUST THE BASICS (i.e. just enough to get by for a short vacation).
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Great story Falcon, thanks for posting it. I have been to Mexico once in my life a long time ago and noticed that the people were very down to earth and friendly. It's funny how a change of scenery can really help your social life.

Comparing Mexican girls to American girls is like night and day! Your going to have a hard time meeting any snobby girls in Mexico! :D
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

At Southern California university campuses, most couples in relationships either have these features in common with each other, or are new immigrants with each other. These apply to ANY American-raised college kid, whether white, black, Asian, Hispanic, or mixed.

These aren't crude stereotypes, but are actual observations I've made through living in Southern California. They're such common norms that people here don't even realize that they're actually features of an American consumerist culture that some folks may have trouble adapting to; they're just "default." This is what nearly all the American college girls here have in common, except for the new immigrants of course. If you don't have at least some of the following, you're simply not going to "click" with the other girls on campus, EVEN if you're very good-looking or have a great personality.

- Valley girl accent
- Facebook addiction
- Use "like" in many of your sentences
- The typical SoCal suburban wear, such as Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle
- Own an iPhone, iPod, SmartPhone, BlackBerry, or at least some other related gadget so you won't appear "technologically behind"
- Be obsessed with American entertainment - e.g., pop songs, movies
- Participate in the college drinking and partying scene, and maybe also the notorious hookup scene
- Go to Las Vegas or San Francisco for vacation
- Know about California sports, such as basketball, baseball, football tournaments
- "Hang out" with a group of friends by going shopping or to the movies, and text them before you do. Take lots of pics with everyone so you can post them all on Facebook later.

Alas, I don't have ANY of the above. I do different things and have different interests. I don't own any Apple or portable music devices, not even a TV. I've never worn Abercrombie before in my life either.

People point out that there are so many girls on campus, so why on earth would I eschew them and go to Mexico instead? I just don't have any of the features listed above. No one will ever say it out loud, but you'll be "different" or perhaps even "weird" if you don't.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Captain Falcon...

Falcon wrote:I am a young undergraduate college student currently living in Southern California. Like Winston, I am an American-born Taiwanese (although for whatever reason people often think I look Filipino :) ). I make new friends easily, am multilingual, and have friends from all sorts of ethnic backgrounds. But despite having a relatively good build, height, personality, etc., I still found it hard to date and become romantically involved with American-raised girls in the US, no matter what their ethnic background is. The main exception would be newly arrived immigrant girls and girls who don't fit into specific social cliques here in the US. It's easy to meet new girls on college campuses under CERTAIN circumstances (like at a club or social event, NOT a cold approach), but nearly 100% of the time, I would end up "friend-zoning" all of them. Sure, we're good friends, we "hang out," but we could never take it to the romantic level. They would be "too busy," the vibe would be missing, they'd be taken, or want to be single, and so on. I do believe there are great American girls, but it's ridiculously hard to find and approach them.

NOT JUST NONSENSE - IT'S TRUE STUFF!

When I first stumbled across HappierAbroad, I thought this website was full of nonsense. But as I experienced college even more, I soon realized that Winston was right on. When I went to Mexico by myself, I could see that the claims on HappierAbroad were uncannily true. I came across well-written books by academics, such as "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" and "The Narcissism Epidemic" (thanks, Steve Neese!), and realized that this is a real-world phenomenon that Winston had recognized long ago, but which academics are only beginning to become aware of.

THE SCHOOL BUS IS FILLED TO THE MAX, YET EVERYONE IS ALONE

I have a female friend about my age who says she finds it hard to talk to random people on the bus. And I was surprised to hear this coming from a GIRL. (Let alone if you're a guy trying to talk to a girl on the bus!) She was a cute girl who loved to talk, and was super friendly, but she said she was the type who couldn't really find a lot of good friends in college. In other words, she was more genuine and wasn't the kind who would put on superficial personalities in order to fit into social cliques.

Everyday, I ride the university shuttle that takes students from the campus to various off-campus apartment complexes, and you could feel that typical American social disconnection once you step right into the bus. Now those buses would be filled to maximum capacity, but no one would ever talk to each other, except if they're people in the same "clique" (like frat, club, or Christian fellowship). More than half of all the people on the bus are completely insulated by their earbuds as they're listening to their iPods and MP3 players, or texting / going on Facebook on their iPhones. Of course they would have the "don't talk to me" aura and expression on their faces. A few times when I asked people whether I'm on the right bus or not, they just took their earbuds off of a few seconds, gave me a blank stare, and then put their earbuds back on without saying anything. And the other half would simply stare blankly into the air and look depressed all the way.

And when you walk across campus, lots of people - everywhere - would be walking around with earbuds and headphones on. How are other people supposed to talk to you and get to know you if you've isolated yourself in your little "iWorld" on purpose?

ADVENTURES IN MEXICO

I took a few trips down to central and southern Mexico just for the thrill and adventure of exploring a new country. Instead of going to the cliche tourist destinations of Cabo San Lucas or Cancun, I decided to experience the real Mexico by traveling around the heart of the country. I wasn't even looking for love, but somehow that also became part of my adventures! Although I traveled by myself to my destinations, for the most part I was interacting and traveling with other people when I was down in Mexico. Of course Americans told me I was going to get shot, but well, that's just their mentality.

So when I went down to rural central/southern Mexico, things were VERY different. Since I speak fluent Spanish with a good Mexican accent, many people there would think I'm a local "chino mexicano." In Mexico, people would ask me where my wife was, whereas most people in the US would simply assume that I'm single. One friend I met there said that he would really want me to marry his younger sister. He was really blunt about his intentions, and said that while I could get a good wife here, she would probably be able to bring her family members over to the US too.

Some girls flirted with me in ways that sort of shocked me - before that, I never knew that girls could ACTUALLY act that way! Back in the US, the most I would get is gay guys telling me that I'm good looking, but American girls would hardly want to talk to me, let alone flirt with me. When I was in Guerrero, some teenage girls all wanted to take their pictures with me, and I took a picture of them too. At a fiesta in the state of Mexico, dozens of girls in their 20's were lining up to dance with me, el "chino vaquero" (I had my Mexican cowboy hat on). A random girl in Jalisco kissed me on the cheek just for the heck of it. The list goes on and on.

And people would be walking around the streets! People walking, taking the bus everywhere, while talking to each other! That kind of interaction on Mexican streets was so uncommon in the US (maybe except for downtown party districts on the weekends). In the US, the suburban streets would be completely empty, with glum-looking Americans driving their shiny cars everywhere by themselves.

Even the music sounded a lot more energetic and happier. The folksy, rustic-sounding norteno, banda, and duranguense music would be playing everywhere I'd go. Americans would tell me that their music sounded "so happy." Well, I guess when you compare that to depressing/angry American rock music, or bland mass-produced pop music, Mexican regional music does sound a lot more light-hearted and happier.

The hostels would be totally vibrant too. The European, Australian, Japanese, and Mexican tourists there would be loads of fun to talk to. A hostel employee even took me around the countryside in his car as we toured various Indian villages and archaeological sites.

Some places I've been to are Baja California, Sonora, Sinaloa, Jalisco, Guanajuato, Michoacan, Guerrero, and Mexico City. They're all great places! Mexicali, Guadalajara, and Mexico City had large Chinese communities too, and I enjoyed meeting fellow Chinese folks there who ran "restaurantes chinos." Nothing like wontons with tortillas!

AND YES, I FINALLY MET MY GIRL TOO

I now have a girlfriend about my age in rural Michoacan, Mexico, and she is one of the most down-to-earth and genuine girls I've ever met in my life. In fact, I met her less than one week after traveling through south-central Mexico. During that leg of my adventure, I was exploring a natural reserve up in the sierras. She was the first girlfriend I've ever had, although I did have dates back in high school that never evolved into any sort of long-term relationship. We communicate the old-fashion style - by phone, and speak only in Spanish, since she is a monolingual Spanish speaker. She doesn't have a computer, iPhone, or a Facebook/MySpace account (which I honestly think corrupts a lot of American girls). The topics we talk about would immediately repel many American college girls - and those are topics such as family (American girls: "Eww, no, OMG I hate my parents" :P ), US-Mexico migration patterns, religion, and life on a Mexican farm. We'd even sing lots of Spanish songs together on the phone - which I just can't imagine doing with a girl from my school. Once she even wrote a poem for me, and read it over the phone to me!

Unlike many college girls here, she doesn't drink or do drugs, put on lots of makeup, or wear provocative clothing. She is a very family-oriented person who could care less about trends in pop culture, junk Hollywood movies, pointless gossip, "come join our club [i.e., clique]", "what grades are you getting in O-chem," or "need to get into the best grad school" (often the only topics American college girls would ever talk about). It's sad how overwhelmingly materialistic and shallow these American college girls would be. They might be great at making a living, but not at making a life.

My girl in Mexico is not a gold digger either. Once I offered to buy her a computer so that we could communicate more often, but she flat out refused, saying that she ever that a computer, she would only get one with her own money. When I asked if she wanted to come to the US, she said that her dream is for me to stay in Mexico with her forever, though we agreed that wouldn't be realistic.

And Asian male - local female couples are actually quite common in Latin America, Southeast Asia, Oceania, and so on, so most Mexicans wouldn't show a lot of surprise when I told them I had a Mexican girlfriend. But among white Americans and Asian Americans in suburban America, this would usually provoke responses such as "Umm, that's weird - in Mexico? Long-distance? Why?" Ah-hem, I feel far closer to her than I've ever had with American girls. Our relationship works, and I'm gonna stick with it.

P.S.

I've also chatted via webcam Filipinas I met online, and their tremendous level of friendliness would also surprise me. They wouldn't even try to get money from me - they'd just want me to be their online buddy. In one chat session, one girl said, "Aaah! Ang CUTE mo!" as her friend sat beside her. Then the two Filipina girls fought over the keyboard, and the other girl pushed her friend to the side as she took over and asked me, "Hey, what's your name?" This is like night and day compared to the US!

Final word: Just go abroad. It really makes a difference. Your experience will also be exponentially better if you know the language and culture well. If I never had the guts to go down to Mexico, I would most likely still be your typical single American male.

Feel free to give comments, ask me questions, or give suggestions. Thanks everyone!
¿Cómo vida en México (no está contando las guerras de droga y los cárteles de la droga, porque sé que la violencia y los cárteles de la droga no es México)? ¿También, soy apenas curioso en cuanto a cuánto tiempo lo hizo para tomarle para aprender a los españoles? Quiero ir a México, pero a mi español, por lo menos, las necesidades un cierto trabajo importante.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Falcon wrote:
- Valley girl accent
- Facebook addiction
- Use "like" in many of your sentences
- The typical SoCal suburban wear, such as Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle
- Own an iPhone, iPod, SmartPhone, BlackBerry, or at least some other related gadget so you won't appear "technologically behind"
- Be obsessed with American entertainment - e.g., pop songs, movies
- Participate in the college drinking and partying scene, and maybe also the notorious hookup scene
- Go to Las Vegas or San Francisco for vacation
- Know about California sports, such as basketball, baseball, football tournaments
- "Hang out" with a group of friends by going shopping or to the movies, and text them before you do. Take lots of pics with everyone so you can post them all on Facebook later.

Alas, I don't have ANY of the above. I do different things and have different interests. I don't own any Apple or portable music devices, not even a TV. I've never worn Abercrombie before in my life either.
You know what's sad. These are almost the exact same trends that young adults had when I was going to college 11 years ago. The only difference is the technology but then even that was the same. People were obsessed with making their own websites and still chatting on the internet. In some ways I feel that U.S. culture has hit long term stagnation. There is no innovative or outside the box thinking anymore. It's all contained and derivative shit. I mean think about the relative changes in the way young people thought from the 60s to the 70's and then the 80's.

It seems like after '00 it was one big stagnant decade.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Re: Captain Falcon...

Post by Falcon »

The_Hero_of_Men wrote:¿Cómo vida en México (no está contando las guerras de droga y los cárteles de la droga, porque sé que la violencia y los cárteles de la droga no es México)? ¿También, soy apenas curioso en cuanto a cuánto tiempo lo hizo para tomarle para aprender a los españoles? Quiero ir a México, pero a mi español, por lo menos, las necesidades un cierto trabajo importante.
I took Spanish in high school, but what's most important is to practice with Mexicans here in the US. Make a lot of friends with Mexican guys, and talk to any one of them in Spanish using a cold approach - almost none of them will freak out, but will greatly appreciate your efforts!
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Falcon wrote:
The_Hero_of_Men wrote:¿Cómo vida en México (no está contando las guerras de droga y los cárteles de la droga, porque sé que la violencia y los cárteles de la droga no es México)? ¿También, soy apenas curioso en cuanto a cuánto tiempo lo hizo para tomarle para aprender a los españoles? Quiero ir a México, pero a mi español, por lo menos, las necesidades un cierto trabajo importante.
I took Spanish in high school, but what's most important is to practice with Mexicans here in the US. Make a lot of friends with Mexican guys, and talk to any one of them in Spanish using a cold approach - almost none of them will freak out, but will greatly appreciate your efforts!
Do you even know what I said in Spanish? :-)

I kinda already do that, mainly with Mexican women here in San Antonio. Most of the Mexican women I have spoken to here know very little to no English and are actually from Mexico.

Out of all of the Mexican women I have cold-approached, I still have yet to have one of them freak out on me.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

The_Hero_of_Men wrote:
Falcon wrote:
Do you even know what I said in Spanish? :-)

I kinda already do that, mainly with Mexican women here in San Antonio. Most of the Mexican women I have spoken to here know very little to no English and are actually from Mexico.

Out of all of the Mexican women I have cold-approached, I still have yet to have one of them freak out on me.
Hahaha, yeah I did understand most of it but with some difficulty, since it looks like it's been Google translated. Many of the phrasal constructs are ambiguous or nearly incomprehensible. Especially with "¿También, soy apenas curioso en cuanto a cuánto tiempo lo hizo para tomarle para aprender a los españoles? " - please try to explain that a little more. :wink: But keep up the great work. As to life in Mexico, I've never lived there yet, but I would definitely prefer life in the US. Less corrupt, more organized, more diverse. Banking and buying houses is also a headache, since Mexico has an underdeveloped credit system. Thus, most houses need to be paid for in cash. The infrastructure's actually a lot better than what many Americans would expect. Every country has its upsides and downsides.

A word of caution though: Mexico is not like the Philippines, where any old foreigner can easily pick up a young girl. I don't think it's for everyone. Not all women are very approachable. That's because they're used to getting cat calls in the streets all the time (in America that would land you in big trouble), but just move on, as if you're in a numbers game. But overall many women are still quite friendly and approachable.

You'll also have to compete with the young local guys, some of whom may try to show off a lot of cash. Mexican men tend to be more macho than the more feminized American men. Plus, guys hardly ever wear shorts like they do in America, even when it's way over 100 degrees outside. Don't wear super skinny jeans, and at least a small moustache or other physical signature of masculinity is recommended. Height is a big plus (I'm around 6 ft. tall).

There are also all kinds of women, with different physical builds, personalities, and socio-economic backgrounds. Many of the Mexico-related threads on the Latin America board claim that girls are much harder to get in Mexico than in other Latin American countries like Colombia or Brazil. Looking at those threads, I was surprised I did so well in Mexico. I guess it might be different for me since I know the culture decently well and am in my early 20's. I believe most guys who can easily pick up the Americanized girls in my college will have a hard time doing so in Mexico (people there generally don't like overly Americanized guys). Vice versa for me.

Start off by making a some male friends in Mexico. Sometimes they'll give you good connections or take you places, and before you know it you'll be meeting new girls. Just have fun first without trying to look for girls, and see where that takes you eventually. :D

You'll never know until you give it a try!
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Falcon wrote: Many of the Mexico-related threads on the Latin America board claim that girls are much harder to get in Mexico than in other Latin American countries like Colombia or Brazil. Looking at those threads, I was surprised I did so well in Mexico. I guess it might be different for me since I know the culture decently well and am in my early 20's.
Being fluent in Spanish is your biggest asset, it gives you access to tons of quality women that most gringos never get the chance to meet. Just walk down the street with a smile on your face and ask for directions from every sexy Mexican woman see and you'll have all the girlfriends you'll ever want.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Anywhere outside the Anglosphere is much better than the USA.

Or as they say, "A rainy day in San Jose is better than any day in the USA!"
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.