Departure from Canada or Mexico to avoid hassle by the TSA?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Disillusioned_American
Freshman Poster

Departure from Canada or Mexico to avoid hassle by the TSA?

Post by Disillusioned_American »

Has anyone here who's from the US actually gone to extra lengths just to avoid having to deal with the abusive airports in America? I am thinking of taking a bus first all the way to Toronto, or even in the other direction somewhere in Mexico to catch a departure flight overseas, just to avoid having some SOB grope me and rifle through my belongings at one of these airports here in the states. Obviously I have nothing to hide, and I understand that airport security is probably tight everywhere these days, but I just don't want to give these people the satisfaction of f***ing with me, if I can avoid it.

Has anyone flown out of the US recently from an international airport, and if so how was your experience? Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this. I just hate being subjugated by assholes on a power trip if I can avoid it. The Orwellian surveillance tactics being deployed in the US are some of the biggest reasons for me wanting to leave; the lousy women and their reproach of nice guys here is merely an afterthought of why I want to leave, at this point.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Re: Departure from Canada or Mexico to avoid hassle by the T

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

Disillusioned_American wrote:Has anyone here who's from the US actually gone to extra lengths just to avoid having to deal with the abusive airports in America? I am thinking of taking a bus first all the way to Toronto, or even in the other direction somewhere in Mexico to catch a departure flight overseas, just to avoid having some SOB grope me and rifle through my belongings at one of these airports here in the states. Obviously I have nothing to hide, and I understand that airport security is probably tight everywhere these days, but I just don't want to give these people the satisfaction of f***ing with me, if I can avoid it.

Has anyone flown out of the US recently from an international airport, and if so how was your experience? Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this. I just hate being subjugated by assholes on a power trip if I can avoid it. The Orwellian surveillance tactics being deployed in the US are some of the biggest reasons for me wanting to leave; the lousy women and their reproach of nice guys here is merely an afterthought of why I want to leave, at this point.
What about train stations?
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

You can board a train to avoid the TSA bullshit. But train rides can take days.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

C.J. wrote:You can board a train to avoid the TSA bullshit. But train rides can take days.
I have never been on a train before...
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I have used the Tijuana airport. You cross the border at San Ysidro and its about a $5 cab ride to the airport. You may need a visa, which I bought at the airport for about $28. If you are going international, your international flight would probably leave from Mexico City.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

The_Hero_of_Men wrote:I have never been on a train before...
It's like boarding a plane. Though I think it's easier, since there are dedicated Amtrak stations, so they're easier to spot and keep track of at airports. And of course it costs a lot less than boarding a plane(one ways can be as much as $50).

Aside from the huge transit times, trains are pretty nice IMO. Of course when you're dealing with middle/lower class folks you're bound to have some kind of problem down the road. But I like how some trains have better seats than planes.

It all depends on where you're going, and how much free time you have to get there.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

When I moved to Italy this summer I subjected myself to one last TSA grope-a-thon before heading to Montreal to catch a flight to Europe. While I couldn't avoid the TSA, I can tell you that the airport security in Montreal and Frankfurt, Germany were MUCH more relaxed. No shoes off, no belts off, no body scanners, no rude staff, etc. Same thing when I flew in and out of Japan and China two years ago. Totally different experiences, and the staff were always professional and polite. As an American flying in and out of the US I am embarrassed for my country that it has become so paranoid and rude to foreigners and even US citizens. "Fortress America" is not the direction we want to go as a nation. If we do, the terrorists they claim to be fighting will have already won over our hearts, minds, and behavior.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Departure from Canada or Mexico to avoid hassle by the T

Post by momopi »

Disillusioned_American wrote:Has anyone here who's from the US actually gone to extra lengths just to avoid having to deal with the abusive airports in America? I am thinking of taking a bus first all the way to Toronto, or even in the other direction somewhere in Mexico to catch a departure flight overseas, just to avoid having some SOB grope me and rifle through my belongings at one of these airports here in the states. Obviously I have nothing to hide, and I understand that airport security is probably tight everywhere these days, but I just don't want to give these people the satisfaction of f***ing with me, if I can avoid it.

TSA screens about 1.8 million passengers daily. Statistically speaking incidents are extremely rare, unless if you're looking for trouble.

Luggage handlers are another matter. I will never leave a laptop in checked-in baggage. They destroyed my luggage through rough handling at the Chicago airport.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

I have never been groped in the USA. However, I was groped trying to return to the USA by one of its satellite states - Iceland.

A blonde woman with a cold smile and her older male lapdog. The blonde woman pointed at me, then he groped me and searched my bag. She smiled at me, and when he was done, he had the nerve to say, "Have a nice day."

The TSA isnt the only problem. If you are alone flying back from a Latin American country, you may be assumed to be smuggling drugs, which means a secondary check by Homeland Security after passing the first passport checkpoint back in the USSA.

I'd say probably the only other place in the world that comes close to being a voyeuristic police state like this is England.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Fenix
Junior Poster

Post by Fenix »

The groping isn't the problem. It is the ridiculous standards they have for what you can carry on the plane. You can't carry body wash like the bigger bottles of Axe on the plane. You can't take aerosol body spray either. I paid for a shitload of hygiene products when I visited my parents over the summer. I had to buy all of it again. The guy told me I had to throw my products away. I wasted money. I never had this problem before. I took the Greyhound bus to avoid this. The best bus trip I had. I haven't rode the bus in 3 years. Met some really cool people and some nice girls.

I will probably buy my hygiene at my destination and not carry it with me. I was so pissed off when I had to throw away my shit. First time that ever happened.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

odbo wrote:Image

That'a an American woman, so she'll like that!
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

The times I have traveled to America, the TSA have not been a problem. In fact, I have found them to be polite and friendly. It's a hassle having to take off one's shoes and go through the security, but basically I haven't had any problems with them. So, why should I worry about this? Is this another example of fear mongers creating a fantasy?