May visit Cebu soon, need advice from those in the know

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

May visit Cebu soon, need advice from those in the know

Post by Rock »

I will finally leave US for Taiwan next week-end. My flight passes through Manila so I'm planning to stop there for a few days. This time, I would like to see Cebu, a place I've never been before. So here are some of my Qs:

1. What is best way to get there from Manila Airport or Metro Manila (time and cost effective)? Cheapest airline, way to book, etc.

2. Best and most conveniently located value hotels? I wanna visit the malls, see the city, get a sense of the general vibe, and check out a bit of the nightlife (both regular and naughty).

3. Places to visit, etc.

If I make it there, I will follow-up by posting a bit about the trip.

Thanks in advance.
speerfox
Freshman Poster

Post by speerfox »

Hi Rock, I went to Cebu from Manila last year. The International terminal (NAIA 1) is separate from the Domestic terminal (NAIA 3), and you need to take a taxi to get there. I went to Cebu by Cebu Pacific, a budget airline and booked the ticket through their website with my credit card.

I stayed at the Kiwi Lodge in Cebu, nice and cheap, central to everything, taxis are ridiculously cheap to anywhere you want to go, and bringing back girls is no problem. Or you could take a look at Tripadvisor if that doesn't appeal.

Cebu doesn't really have much in the way of must-see attractions, apart from the very friendly girls of course, I mostly hung out in the malls and bars.

Have fun!
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

I'll be in Cebu in a couple of weeks an am taking Cebu pacific. Will be staying near Ayala mall. Theres a bunch of historical stuff if that is your thing. Personally I just want to get a feel for the city and people. I only have a couple days so not enough time to hit the beaches which are not close by.
DarrenFW
Freshman Poster

Re: May visit Cebu soon, need advice from those in the know

Post by DarrenFW »

Rock wrote:I will finally leave US for Taiwan next week-end. My flight passes through Manila so I'm planning to stop there for a few days. This time, I would like to see Cebu, a place I've never been before. So here are some of my Qs:

1. What is best way to get there from Manila Airport or Metro Manila (time and cost effective)? Cheapest airline, way to book, etc.

2. Best and most conveniently located value hotels? I wanna visit the malls, see the city, get a sense of the general vibe, and check out a bit of the nightlife (both regular and naughty).

3. Places to visit, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Hey Rock,
Good to hear you are going to Cebu. Yeah I think you will like Cebu. Its really nice. I will try to answer your questions.
1. Try Cebu Pacific Airlines. Very cheap but also they are good qualitiy. You can book online. If not, just go there and they have regular flights to Cebu and back to Manila. So its not a problem, check their website for details.
2. Hotels- well I just picked a 4 star I saw online for a $40.00 a night fare which was awesome. If they are still running the deal, I stayed at the Allure Hotel. They did have good internet service. But the downside was there was nothing around the hotel within walking distance.
If I were to do it again, I would go with Marriott Cebu City which is right next door to Ayala Malll. You can walk to the mall. Its probably worth any extra price you pay as you will save on cab fares going to that mall.

But, cab fares are cheaper than Manila for sure.

For nightlife, try Juliana's. They party really late. There is a strip area of Bars where you can do the bar fine thing. To be honest, I was with my girl at the time so I didn't do this, so i have no idea if its good or not. Probably just like Angeles City.

3. Ayala Mall, SM Cebu City mall, Country Mall, Robinsons Mall, Magellan's Cross, Mactan Shrine, Mountain Top, beaches. Mountain View is a nice place to take a girl.
Girls are nice. Alot of them have that tanned look which I find really sexy.

Have Fun!
PM me if you have other questions.

-Darren
[/img]
Check out my Blog and Website!
http://www.goglobaldating.com

Features FREE ebook, forum and good articles.
http://goglobaldating.com/forum/
DarrenFW
Freshman Poster

Post by DarrenFW »

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

A lot of expats recommend the Kiwi Lodge in Cebu. But here are some more:

http://hotels.happierabroad.com/City/Cebu_City.htm

Try to meet some girls from DIA first before you go.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Well I regularly fly to Cebu 2 or 3 times a year. I would stay away from Ayala mall area for hotels they will cost well over 3000 P a night. Marriot is almost 5000P a night and not really worth that price unless you are farting money out of your ass and don't care about spending.

I usually stay at the Marriot cause my work pays for it, but then I'll take an extra day or two off after that and stay at the Kiwi lodge: http://www.kiwilodgecebu.com/
I usually just get a deluxe room but if you want a fridge and a larger room/bed then you can spend a bit more. I like it cause it's central and there is a bar that serves good Western food. You can also chat up some of th regulars there if you want info on what to do around Cebu area.

Regarding nightlife, I usually hangout at the bars on Mango ave, then around midnight or so I head on over to Julianna's disco which is just up the street, walking distance. It's a really good pickup place if you want to pay for sex, a lot of hot girls there on Fri and Sat nights. But you can go there any night and hook up easily enough. The worst thing about it is the noise level, its really loud house and techno music. On the weekends its packed and you can barely move after 1 AM in the morning.

Other pickup dance places: Pump disco, which a lot of Koreans tend to hang out at and other Asians.
Sunflower disco: This place is probably your best bet if you want to try to hook up with a regular girl, however you have to get on the dance floor and work your way towards one.

There are some new ones also around town but I haven't been to them as of yet. Julianna's is the best so I just stick with that.

Mango Ave is where most of the girly bars are, there are a few more around the side streets near the main bars as well. They tend to cater to a mix of Asian/Westerner clientèle. There is a mix of talent depending on the bar. There is a large Asian style girly bar called "Arena" that has really hot girls but they are kinds expensive.

Lisa's Sea Side Pub is an interesting place to start off the night with some cheaper drinks and a laid back atmosphere: http://www.cebu-nightlife.com/lisa-sea- ... view-cebu/

This site can give you a run down of all the nightlife in Cebu:
http://www.cebu-nightlife.com/

In regards to flying there either Cebu Pacific or Philippine Airlines is best. I tend to prefer Philippine Airlines, they have better customer service and you usually get a better flying experience. They are around the same price range, maybe a few hundred pesos difference.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
DarrenFW
Freshman Poster

Post by DarrenFW »

Mr S wrote:Well I regularly fly to Cebu 2 or 3 times a year. I would stay away from Ayala mall area for hotels they will cost well over 3000 P a night. Marriot is almost 5000P a night and not really worth that price unless you are farting money out of your ass and don't care about spending.
3485 Pesos for Marriott Cebu City, and that's the cheapest room. This according to this reservation page. https://www.marriott.com/reservation/av ... alendar.mi

Still quite expensive, I agree.

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

DarrenFW wrote:
Mr S wrote:Well I regularly fly to Cebu 2 or 3 times a year. I would stay away from Ayala mall area for hotels they will cost well over 3000 P a night. Marriot is almost 5000P a night and not really worth that price unless you are farting money out of your ass and don't care about spending.
3485 Pesos for Marriott Cebu City, and that's the cheapest room. This according to this reservation page. https://www.marriott.com/reservation/av ... alendar.mi

Still quite expensive, I agree.
The rates change depending on the time of year as well as occupancy. They also have additional charges that aren't initially posted until you actually check-in/out. Generally the better rooms float between 4000-5000P range. It's not really worth staying there anyways IMO,unless you like the big, fake hotel atmosphere; especially where you have to do the walk of shame in front of everyone if you bring a lady back plus have to get her searched and registered, a bit over the top for my likes. They do have really comfortable beds though, the best I've experienced in PI. However their central AC doesn't get cleaned regularly so if you have Asthma or are sensitive to mold you may experience breathing problems. I find this to be an issue in many one size fits all supposed luxury box hotels in the Philippines.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

speerfox wrote:Hi Rock, I went to Cebu from Manila last year. The International terminal (NAIA 1) is separate from the Domestic terminal (NAIA 3), and you need to take a taxi to get there. I went to Cebu by Cebu Pacific, a budget airline and booked the ticket through their website with my credit card.

I stayed at the Kiwi Lodge in Cebu, nice and cheap, central to everything, taxis are ridiculously cheap to anywhere you want to go, and bringing back girls is no problem. Or you could take a look at Tripadvisor if that doesn't appeal.

Cebu doesn't really have much in the way of must-see attractions, apart from the very friendly girls of course, I mostly hung out in the malls and bars.

Have fun!
Thanks speerfox. I appreciate your info here. I will look up Kiwi Lodge and perhaps book a flight online via Cebu Pacific.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

davewe wrote:I'll be in Cebu in a couple of weeks an am taking Cebu pacific. Will be staying near Ayala mall. Theres a bunch of historical stuff if that is your thing. Personally I just want to get a feel for the city and people. I only have a couple days so not enough time to hit the beaches which are not close by.
g
That's great. It will be interesting to see how the trip goes for you. Hope you post a follow-up. It looks like you will be there after me. I plan to arrive on December 13 and stay a few days. Why are you only staying a couple days? Planning on going to other places within the PI? Thanks for your post.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: May visit Cebu soon, need advice from those in the know

Post by Rock »

DarrenFW wrote:
Rock wrote:I will finally leave US for Taiwan next week-end. My flight passes through Manila so I'm planning to stop there for a few days. This time, I would like to see Cebu, a place I've never been before. So here are some of my Qs:

3. Places to visit, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Hey Rock,
Good to hear you are going to Cebu. Yeah I think you will like Cebu. Its really nice. I will try to answer your questions.
1. Try Cebu Pacific Airlines. Very cheap but also they are good qualitiy. You can book online. If not, just go there and they have regular flights to Cebu and back to Manila. So its not a problem, check their website for details.
2. Hotels- well I just picked a 4 star I saw online for a $40.00 a night fare which was awesome. If they are still running the deal, I stayed at the Allure Hotel. They did have good internet service. But the downside was there was nothing around the hotel within walking distance.
If I were to do it again, I would go with Marriott Cebu City which is right next door to Ayala Malll. You can walk to the mall. Its probably worth any extra price you pay as you will save on cab fares going to that mall.

But, cab fares are cheaper than Manila for sure.

For nightlife, try Juliana's. They party really late. There is a strip area of Bars where you can do the bar fine thing. To be honest, I was with my girl at the time so I didn't do this, so i have no idea if its good or not. Probably just like Angeles City.

3. Ayala Mall, SM Cebu City mall, Country Mall, Robinsons Mall, Magellan's Cross, Mactan Shrine, Mountain Top, beaches. Mountain View is a nice place to take a girl.
Girls are nice. Alot of them have that tanned look which I find really sexy.

Have Fun!
PM me if you have other questions.

-Darren
[/img]
Thanks Darren. That's some great info. I will do my best to follow-up on all of it. Judging by your avatar, it sure looks like you found what you were looking for there. Great luck with her.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

I usually stay at the Marriot cause my work pays for it, but then I'll take an extra day or two off after that and stay at the Kiwi lodge: http://www.kiwilodgecebu.com/
I usually just get a deluxe room but if you want a fridge and a larger room/bed then you can spend a bit more. I like it cause it's central and there is a bar that serves good Western food. You can also chat up some of th regulars there if you want info on what to do around Cebu area.

Regarding nightlife, I usually hangout at the bars on Mango ave, then around midnight or so I head on over to Julianna's disco which is just up the street, walking distance. It's a really good pickup place if you want to pay for sex, a lot of hot girls there on Fri and Sat nights. But you can go there any night and hook up easily enough. The worst thing about it is the noise level, its really loud house and techno music. On the weekends its packed and you can barely move after 1 AM in the morning.

Other pickup dance places: Pump disco, which a lot of Koreans tend to hang out at and other Asians.
Sunflower disco: This place is probably your best bet if you want to try to hook up with a regular girl, however you have to get on the dance floor and work your way towards one.

There are some new ones also around town but I haven't been to them as of yet. Julianna's is the best so I just stick with that.

Mango Ave is where most of the girly bars are, there are a few more around the side streets near the main bars as well. They tend to cater to a mix of Asian/Westerner clientèle. There is a mix of talent depending on the bar. There is a large Asian style girly bar called "Arena" that has really hot girls but they are kinds expensive.

Lisa's Sea Side Pub is an interesting place to start off the night with some cheaper drinks and a laid back atmosphere: http://www.cebu-nightlife.com/lisa-sea- ... view-cebu/

This site can give you a run down of all the nightlife in Cebu:
http://www.cebu-nightlife.com/

In regards to flying there either Cebu Pacific or Philippine Airlines is best. I tend to prefer Philippine Airlines, they have better customer service and you usually get a better flying experience. They are around the same price range, maybe a few hundred pesos difference.
Wow, you are the man in PI. That's a lot of leads to follow-up on. I will do my best to visit those areas and report on it. I still owe a report on DR. I'm really getting behind. Much appreciated Mr. S.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:A lot of expats recommend the Kiwi Lodge in Cebu. But here are some more:

http://hotels.happierabroad.com/City/Cebu_City.htm

Try to meet some girls from DIA first before you go.
Thanks Winston. I also appreciate you emailing a bunch of your friends and giving them a heads-up about my post. Good luck with your China plans.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Rock wrote:
davewe wrote:I'll be in Cebu in a couple of weeks an am taking Cebu pacific. Will be staying near Ayala mall. Theres a bunch of historical stuff if that is your thing. Personally I just want to get a feel for the city and people. I only have a couple days so not enough time to hit the beaches which are not close by.
g
That's great. It will be interesting to see how the trip goes for you. Hope you post a follow-up. It looks like you will be there after me. I plan to arrive on December 13 and stay a few days. Why are you only staying a couple days? Planning on going to other places within the PI? Thanks for your post.
I'm going from Manila to Davao where I'm meeting a girl, then Cebu, back to Manila, a week in Vietnam, and back to Manila for New Years Eve. Should be fun and far from lonely.