Look how f***ed up the Philippines is - 2011 CPI ratings

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Look how f***ed up the Philippines is - 2011 CPI ratings

Post by Repatriate »

I brought this up in another thread but the 2011 Corruption perceptions index was released and it had a rundown of most the nations in the world that are large enough to rate.

The top 10 are ones that have been on top for a long time and the usual collection of small scandinavian nations and Singapore at #5.

The noteworthy nations/city states in Asia:

#5 Singapore
#12 Hong Kong
#14 Japan
#32 Republic of China (Taiwan)
#43 South Korea
#46 Macau
#60 Malaysia
#75 China
#80 Thailand (not surprisingly it actually got worse since 2010)
#95 India (The hippies always under state how much of a shit hole it really is)
#100 Indonesia
#112 Vietnam (A bit surprising to me. I thought Vietnam would be less corrupt than Thailand)
#129 Philippines (The Philippines ranking is tied with the likes of Syria, Dominican Republic, and Honduras)
#154 Laos
#164 Cambodia (Expats have told me Hun Sen pretty much steals everything that's not nailed down)
#180 Myanmar
#182 North Korea :lol:

The reason the Philippines' and Indonesia's ranking is noteworthy is because of the size of the nations and its respective large population. Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos still have some hope in the future from what i've seen. Indonesia is pretty f***ed alongside the Philippines though. The economic, cultural, and political factors are too overwhelming for either of those nations.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

BigDug
Freshman Poster

Post by BigDug »

It's a lot easier when you aren't conquered numerous times by numerous nations who expunged your own identity over the centuries of colonization, then being left to govern yourself.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Re: Look how f***ed up the Philippines is. 2011 CPI ratings

Post by DaRick »

Repatriate wrote:I brought this up in another thread but the 2011 Corruption perceptions index was released and it had a rundown of most the nations in the world that are large enough to rate.

The top 10 are ones that have been on top for a long time and the usual collection of small scandinavian nations and Singapore at #5.

The noteworthy nations/city states in Asia:

#5 Singapore
#12 Hong Kong
#14 Japan
#32 Republic of China (Taiwan)
#43 South Korea
#46 Macau
#60 Malaysia
#75 China
#80 Thailand (not surprisingly it actually got worse since 2010)
#95 India (The hippies always under state how much of a shit hole it really is)
#100 Indonesia
#112 Vietnam (A bit surprising to me. I thought Vietnam would be less corrupt than Thailand)
#129 Philippines (The Philippines ranking is tied with the likes of Syria, Dominican Republic, and Honduras)
#154 Laos
#164 Cambodia (Expats have told me Hun Sen pretty much steals everything that's not nailed down)
#180 Myanmar
#182 North Korea :lol:

The reason the Philippines' and Indonesia's ranking is noteworthy is because of the size of the nations and its respective large population. Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos still have some hope in the future from what i've seen. Indonesia is pretty f***ed alongside the Philippines though. The economic, cultural, and political factors are too overwhelming for either of those nations.
Well, Indonesia has actually improved in recent times regarding corruption. Suharto's influence still lingers though - he amassed an enormous (ill-gotten) personal fortune during his 30 year reign.

It's not surprising that south-east Asian states generally rank poorly in the corruption index. Corruption just seems to be more culturally acceptable across the region - it's not stigmatised the way it is in developed nations. Unsurprisingly, SEA nations lag behind the developed world. Malaysia is the best of the lot regarding both economic wealth and corruption, yet political corruption there is still obvious (i.e - dead people on East Malaysian ballots etc.).

I'm also not sure about Laos and Vietnam's prospects for reducing corruption. Countries with a Communist political (although neither is truly Communist economically) system are often notoriously corrupt - perhaps because such countries are structured in a way to reduce public accountability among their political ranks. It wouldn't surprise me if nepotism was also rife, leading poorer officials without much hope of advancement to 'top up' their income through bribes. Just a theory.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Re: Look how f***ed up the Philippines is. 2011 CPI ratings

Post by Repatriate »

DaRick wrote:
Well, Indonesia has actually improved in recent times regarding corruption. Suharto's influence still lingers though - he amassed an enormous (ill-gotten) personal fortune during his 30 year reign.
Suharto wasn't the only corrupt one and the corruption baton got handed off to other dynastic Indonesian families who are plundering the nation now albeit in a different way with several corporations involved. Plus Suharto's cronies fled Indonesia with billions of $ of Indonesia's wealth and socked it away into Singapore. :lol: There's something crazy like $500 billion (U.S. dollars worth) of Indonesian's wealth in the Singaporean banking system and various other investments.
I'm also not sure about Laos and Vietnam's prospects for reducing corruption. Countries with a Communist political (although neither is truly Communist economically) system are often notoriously corrupt - perhaps because such countries are structured in a way to reduce public accountability among their political ranks. It wouldn't surprise me if nepotism was also rife, leading poorer officials without much hope of advancement to 'top up' their income through bribes. Just a theory.

Poland managed to crawl its way out of the hole. I think what Vietnam and Laos have going for it are its smaller size and perhaps the ability to leverage their proximity with China and to play off various trade/military alliances with the U.S. Vietnam in particular has a lot of interesting natural resources and possibilities for ports.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Where are the FSU countries?

Post by WorldTraveler »

What ranking did the FSU (Former Soviet Union) countries get. Ukraine, Russia, Georgia, etc.?
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Re: Where are the FSU countries?

Post by Repatriate »

WorldTraveler wrote:What ranking did the FSU (Former Soviet Union) countries get. Ukraine, Russia, Georgia, etc.?
You can find it on the transparency website.
They all ranked very poorly even below SEA nations.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Looking at this map, I just realized there seems to a direct relationship between corruption and nyphomaniacs per capita, based on my limited knowledge.

World Map Of Perception Of Corruption
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... n_2010.svg
onezero4u
Freshman Poster

Post by onezero4u »

the smaller the govt the less corruption says I....at least in terms in quantity.....

id love to downsize every govt about 95+%.....then wed be able to tastte true freedom and prosperity
marriage is a 3 ring circus: engagement ring, wedding ring and then suffering.
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Post by TRADER1972 »

Taco wrote:Looking at this map, I just realized there seems to a direct relationship between corruption and nyphomaniacs per capita, based on my limited knowledge.

Can you explain what you mean about nymphos, Taco?
I would rather make $2000 a month working for myself, then $4000 a month working for a bitch.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Vietnam is very corrupt, especially at a local level. If you want an Asian wife from Vietnam then I've heard you need to be exceedingly careful.

I think HK is flattered to be where it is in that list.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

BigDug wrote:It's a lot easier when you aren't conquered numerous times by numerous nations who expunged your own identity over the centuries of colonization, then being left to govern yourself.
So Thailand and Ethiopia whom no one conquered or colonized should be prosperous and honest countries.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

TRADER1972 wrote:
Taco wrote:Looking at this map, I just realized there seems to a direct relationship between corruption and nyphomaniacs per capita, based on my limited knowledge.

Can you explain what you mean about nymphos, Taco?
I think what he means is how easy it is for a guy to get laid. The more corrupt the poorer ( or vice versa) and thus more women turn to either prostitution or become less choosy as far as finding BFs.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:
BigDug wrote:It's a lot easier when you aren't conquered numerous times by numerous nations who expunged your own identity over the centuries of colonization, then being left to govern yourself.
So Thailand and Ethiopia whom no one conquered or colonized should be prosperous and honest countries.

Haha!

I will use this line every time someone blames Africa's issues on nineteenth century colonialism. "OK then why ain't Ethiopia rich?"
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Jester wrote:
ladislav wrote:

Haha!

I will use this line every time someone blames Africa's issues on nineteenth century colonialism. "OK then why ain't Ethiopia rich?"
It was briefly conquered by Italians, so they will blame Italy for it. Better ask why Hong Kong and Singapore are not shitholes/