Invitation to Winston

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Invitation to Winston

Post by Rock »

I just came to Bangkok today and plan to stay in Thailand thru the Lunar Chinese New Year. Several members have recommended that Winston pop his Thai cherry so I'm hereby inviting him to join me. My gf / ex gf is here too but will leave the 21st for Boracay. I'll prolly remain here at least thru the end of the month.

Here are the economics:

Air Ticket: I got a 1 month return ticked with flexible dates from KLM for just NT$9,500

Accommodation: Lots of cheap hostels around Banglamphoo and decent private hotel rooms can be had for around 700 Baht per night. In Pattaya, accommodation is significantly cheaper.

Food: Tons of great options at bargain prices. There's a place right across the street from where I'm staying which specializes in veggie dishes.

Transport: Cheap taxis, Skytrain in Bangkok, Baht buses (like Jeepney) in Pattaya

If you make it here, I'll show you around as much as you like and take you for whatever you are up for.

Get your ass down here, enjoy the Thai experience for the first time in your life, and then post a great report about it complete with photos and/or vids when you get back to Taiwan.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

green1976
Freshman Poster

Post by green1976 »

Finally!!!

Now Winston,the ball is in your hand.:D
They are not any excuse to give a pass to Thailand.

Go asap and bring us your impressions.

This is a good time to be there,the high season just came to an end and plenty of p4p and girls available.

Let away for some few days or weeks your lovely Chinese internet contacts,bring yourself to Thailand and get plenty of Thai pussies!

Some 2 weeks for me,and i'm there.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

No can do, Winston is busy raising his son. Education comes first in his family.

If Winston turns this down people will lose all respect for him. But if he goes on the trip he will have to spend money. It's a lose-lose for the Taiwanese tightwad. :twisted:
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Yeah, he probably won't go. You would have to give him free air-fare and accommodation for him to consider it and even then he would probably make up some lame excuse why he still can't go. He seems to be Happier Abroad in his parents house situated in Taiwan, not traveling at all.

Actually, it would be a great time to visit cause the country is desperate for tourists to return after all the flooding they recently had. So there will probably be a lot of cheap deals in comparison to previous years. High season is typically the best time to go, but it's also the most expensive. However, it won't be this year so it's a good deal. Usually high season runs until end of March/beginning of April.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Thanks Rock. That sounds like fun. I'll think about it, but I'm not sure now is a good time though.

If I go there and get carried away, I might spend a ton of my savings and regret it, which will leave me less for China.

Besides, Chinese New Year is coming and you are supposed to be with your family and relatives. If you try to come back during that, airfare will be too expensive, right?

Besides, I've never been that kind of spontaneous person to just pick up and go. I'm the type of guy who likes to plan things out in advance. It's hard to do that on short notice.

Can you compare and contrast Bangkok and Pattaya?

Is it possible to ride the train there from China? If so, I will try to include it in my plans.

Are you considering relocating to Thailand, Rock? I told you long ago that Taiwan was boring. hehe. Now you admit that I'm right. haha. Remember what my retired mental health counselor friend said?
Winston,

If my memory serves, I was in Taiwan in 2007. Sometimes on my mongering trips I will take a few days and spend in one of my "link" cities, just to see it and get a feel. I had no contacts in Taipei and was with a mongering friend. Note that our goal was not to monger there (as we had already read the scene was abysmal) but just to have a look-see. On that particular trip, I was not overly skinny--that was a trip I caught Pneumonia on upon returning to the United States, as I recall--partly b/c of being out-of-shape.

I was only in Taiwan a few days and in many ways it was similar to my trip to China, which was a much longer excursion--that is to say, I got the same "distant" vibe there--perhaps even worse--than I got in China. I took no tours or did anything except wander around just to pick up vibes and get a feel for the place and other than it seeming a bit more "open" and less contrived than the China that was presented to me (I went there on a package tour with a group of friends--never again), I got absolutely NO play from any woman, no indications of interest and not much overt sign of any sexual vibe or activity in the air at all--the people seemed all business. Amazing that I hopped on a plane to Bangkok and in four hours' travel time the atmosphere could change so radically.

And, yes, I did notice the lack of eye contact and an experience I have had in many European countries, esp. in Northern Europe/Scandinavia, of complete and utter disinterest.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Thanks Rock. That sounds like fun. I'll think about it, but I'm not sure now is a good time though.

If I go there and get carried away, I might spend a ton of my savings and regret it, which will leave me less for China.

Besides, Chinese New Year is coming and you are supposed to be with your family and relatives. If you try to come back during that, airfare will be too expensive, right?

Besides, I've never been that kind of spontaneous person to just pick up and go. I'm the type of guy who likes to plan things out in advance. It's hard to do that on short notice.

Can you compare and contrast Bangkok and Pattaya?

Is it possible to ride the train there from China? If so, I will try to include it in my plans.

Are you considering relocating to Thailand, Rock? I told you long ago that Taiwan was boring. hehe. Now you admit that I'm right. haha. Remember what my retired mental health counselor friend said?
Winston,

If my memory serves, I was in Taiwan in 2007. Sometimes on my mongering trips I will take a few days and spend in one of my "link" cities, just to see it and get a feel. I had no contacts in Taipei and was with a mongering friend. Note that our goal was not to monger there (as we had already read the scene was abysmal) but just to have a look-see. On that particular trip, I was not overly skinny--that was a trip I caught Pneumonia on upon returning to the United States, as I recall--partly b/c of being out-of-shape.

I was only in Taiwan a few days and in many ways it was similar to my trip to China, which was a much longer excursion--that is to say, I got the same "distant" vibe there--perhaps even worse--than I got in China. I took no tours or did anything except wander around just to pick up vibes and get a feel for the place and other than it seeming a bit more "open" and less contrived than the China that was presented to me (I went there on a package tour with a group of friends--never again), I got absolutely NO play from any woman, no indications of interest and not much overt sign of any sexual vibe or activity in the air at all--the people seemed all business. Amazing that I hopped on a plane to Bangkok and in four hours' travel time the atmosphere could change so radically.

And, yes, I did notice the lack of eye contact and an experience I have had in many European countries, esp. in Northern Europe/Scandinavia, of complete and utter disinterest.
1. Easiest parallel I can draw is that Patts to Bangkok is what Angeles City is to Manila. So perhaps you should contrast Patts to Angeles City. In that regard, Patts is much bigger, has a much more diverse tourist base, much better and cheaper food, cheaper accommodation options, and of course a lot more girls. But Patts is 99% prostitutes unless you go for tourists, expats, or Bangkok girls down for the week-end. Some guys I know who are old hands grab girls off of Walking St or the discos and never pay more than 500 Baht ST or 1,000 Baht all night. If you are lucky enough to find a gem on Beach Rd, you might even get by with 300-400 Baht.

2. Best way to handle money is to make a firm daily budget and stick to it. 1,000 Baht a day could prolly cover your living, food, and transport if you really have discipline and you could budget another 1,000 - 3,000 Baht per day for entertainment. So around US$100 per day give or take plus airfare which even during Lunar Chinese New Year is around NT$11,000 (under US$400). Total damage for 10 days would be around US$1,500 - 2,000.

3. Don't consider train from BK to China. I don't think its practical. BK is a great flight hub and has all kinds of cheap flights to 1st tier and virtually all 2nd tier Chinese cities. Lots of tourism biz from China these days.

4. Chinese New Year in Taiwan is BS. Its the most miserable time of the year. First, you're supposed to clean up your house and throw out things you don't need. Everything shuts down and its usually cold, dark, and rainy. Many locals use it as a chance to travel overseas. Yea, it can be fun to visit the ones who stay sometimes. But its not worth all the downside. I've had enough Chinese New Year's in Taiwan to last me a lifetime. And I thought you said your family was so boring, square, and superficial. So why do you wanna waste a great holiday hanging with them?

5. I love Taiwan in the summer and other sunny months. But December - February there (norther part at least) is downright depressing. I can't go out, run, climb mountains, and do the things which tend to energize my soul. It affects my state of mind. But I consider Taiwan as one of my homes so I will most likely always maintain a residence there.
Fenix
Junior Poster

Post by Fenix »

I knew it...

This thread "Why do many of you want to go abroad but never do?" that you made, Winston...

Is useless and hypocritical. How are you going to talk trash about guys on here that won't go abroad but say they will, but Rock gives you an invitation to Thailand and you make excuses not to go? Didn't you say guys that don't go abroad or what not do it out of "laziness, fear and procrastination." You are talking about yourself when you say that.

I thought it was so easy to go abroad on a budget, but now you are going to blow your savings if you go to Thailand for a few days? See how hypocritical you sound? You tell me to visit a place for 2 weeks just to see if I like it, but you can't do the same thing. See how this doesn't make sense? Come on...

Wow. No offense, Winston, but I saw this coming. Practice what you preach.

I lost a little more respect I had left for you, Winston.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Phoenix Sosa wrote:I knew it...

This thread "Why do many of you want to go abroad but never do?" that you made, Winston...

Is f***ing useless and hypocritical. How are you going to talk shit about guys on here that won't go abroad but say they will, but Rock gives you an invitation to Thailand and you make excuses not to go? Didn't you say guys that don't go abroad or what not do it out of "laziness, fear and procrastination." You are talking about yourself when you say that.

Wow. No offense, Winston, but I saw this coming. Practice what you preach.
LOL you couldn't resist taking a shot at me huh? FYI, yes I am a procrastinator with bad time management skills. But I'm already abroad and have been abroad to several countries. I am making plans to go to China now. That's the reason I'm not in Thailand. So come on now. That doesn't really apply. Why are you looking for reasons to criticize me? You and I have nothing personal against each other, as we say, yet you seem unusually argumentative with me. Why?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Fenix
Junior Poster

Post by Fenix »

How am I making an argument? I am calling you out on your B.S. This is what you did...

A: Winston makes a thread about members of his forum saying they want to go abroad, but they do not. He criticizes them by saying they are making excuses like not having enough money, being lazy, being procrastinators and being fearful. In addition, you can go abroad for cheap on only $800 and you are only going abroad for a week. Stop being chicken and go abroad, HA members! I have been to Europe and Asia. It is so easy! Why are you guys so chicken and I am not?

B: One of the best posters and one of your good friends invited you to Thailand, a country you have never been to and you all of a sudden can't go there. Winston criticizes his members about the same thing, but when he gets the opportunity to go to a new place, he makes excuses. Winston is abroad already, but he has only been living in Taiwan and Philippines.

^^^You see...That's you in a nutshell. Trying to type it in the simplest form. You can't criticize me for still being in America and not taking a chance to go to a new country and then turn around and not going to a new country yourself. That sounds like a hypocrite to me.

@Rock

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I am tired of this. I don't like hypocrisy and I don't like when people tell you to do something or should do something, but that person doesn't even do it themselves.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

One more point Winston. At this stage, you should not see your travels as pure expenditures. Consider them as partial investments. Your website continues to grow and you may be approaching some sort of tipping point or critical mass. I'm convinced that many people here may come for the entertainment you provide - through your personal drama and trials and follies overseas. Some may even live vicariously through your experiences. But when you sit at home in Taiwan, that part dies. OTH, if you were to travel to interesting countries, throw-up your unique and non-PC interpretations of those new environs, and post entertaining vids and photos, your site growth will likely accelerate.

And you are the icon of your HA movement so you should set at least a reasonable example. If you get stuck in planning mode constipation and the months and years fly by, something's wrong. You need to change it and fast. The time you've already lost is a sunk cost so don't fret it. But change your behavior going forward, both for the sake of your business franchise and for your own enjoyment of this short life. Don't tell me you came abroad just to spend 6 moths or more per year hanging out with you parents in the sticks.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Winston - let me know if you ever come to the UK. You're welcome to our women though!

I know you might want to be with your folks at new year though. Having spent Christmas with my folks, I can't think why though!

For what it's worth my gf got a cheap flight to Shanghai by travelling on new year. Long haul flights didn't seem that much more expensive during Chinese new year.

Hope your China plans are advancing - it does take time to shortlist girls worth meeting so don't rush into anything. It would be great if a few of us could meet up in China. I think we should organise our own romance tour, maybe to Changsha because it's the woman centre of China.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock,
Why would I need to spend $100 a day in Bangkok? Mr S and others told me there were nice good quality hotels there for $15 a day. He said hotels were cheaper in Thailand than the Philippines.

Food is relatively cheap too, depending on where you go of course. But there are always inexpensive choices. I don't buy that many drinks either. So why would I need to spend $100 a day? A typical dumb white guy with loose pockets who splurges all his money, like most white guys I know, might do that, but not me.

How much are barfines? What is the baht to dollar conversion rate?

Also, regarding flights, $300 seems a bit expensive. Is that for round trip? Airfares from Taiwan seem expensive for some reason. It might be cheaper to fly back to the Philippines and then from there fly to Thailand, though it would be more trouble. But nothing beats the prices of Cebu Pacific. I've gotten $20 one way tickets from there before.

As to my relatives in Taiwan, well Chinese New Year is their holiday, not mine. lol. I like gathering with them. Some of my older relatives have a lot of Buddhist wisdom. But like I said, the friendliest and warmest people here are the elderly. I wonder why that is. It's the same in America too. The elderly you find at Denny's are far more warm and sociable than the typical cold cliquish young crowd. Why is that?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Phoenix Sosa wrote:How am I making an argument? I am calling you out on your B.S. This is what you did...

A: Winston makes a thread about members of his forum saying they want to go abroad, but they do not. He criticizes them by saying they are making excuses like not having enough money, being lazy, being procrastinators and being fearful. In addition, you can go abroad for cheap on only $800 and you are only going abroad for a week. Stop being chicken and go abroad, HA members! I have been to Europe and Asia. It is so easy! Why are you guys so chicken and I am not?

B: One of the best posters and one of your good friends invited you to Thailand, a country you have never been to and you all of a sudden can't go there. Winston criticizes his members about the same thing, but when he gets the opportunity to go to a new place, he makes excuses. Winston is abroad already, but he has only been living in Taiwan and Philippines.

^^^You see...That's you in a nutshell. Trying to type it in the simplest form. You can't criticize me for still being in America and not taking a chance to go to a new country and then turn around and not going to a new country yourself. That sounds like a hypocrite to me.

@Rock

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I am tired of this. I don't like hypocrisy and I don't like when people tell you to do something or should do something, but that person doesn't even do it themselves.
I see your point Phoenix. But I already admitted that I have shitty time management skills and perhaps a lack of discipline too. Those are some of my flaws. Besides, there is no rush. I can go to Thailand any time. I just have other plans. I've already been abroad anyway.

But dude, focus on your life and improving it. Criticizing me isn't productive. At least I'm not using the "I have to wait to do some surgeries" excuse, which doesn't make much sense. haha :P

I have the money to go to Thailand. It's just a matter of opportunity cost, plus I haven't finished my projects that were supposed to be done in January of last year, and plus my hands are full preparing to go to China, where some quality ladies and gems are waiting for me there. Also, you forget that I'm not that big on the go go bar scene anymore either. I'm seeking genuine sincere intelligent women now, not just wild ones. I still enjoy those bars, but I'm past that stage in general, so they aren't a big priority for me.

So you see, we are coming from a different perspective.

Again, focus on your life and improving it. Criticizing me isn't productive. Ok, say you're right that I'm a hypocrite. So what? That doesn't help your life in any way to point that out. All it does is give your ego a short term boost and satisfaction in knowing that you've somehow "discredited me" or shown some hypocrisy in me. It gives you some pleasure to bring others down. I can understand that. That's normal among Americans. But it doesn't help your life in the long term. Think of the big picture.

LOL Aren't Phoenix and I like two little kids arguing in a playground about trivial things? LOL

Fenix
Junior Poster

Post by Fenix »

Last edited by Fenix on January 17th, 2012, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is what my retired mental health counselor friend told me about Rock's recommendations. What he said is very informative. Rock, Repatriate, do you concur with his observations?

Winston,

I don't know how much it costs to fly from Taiwan to PI, but I just got my ticket on Tiger Air from BKK to CRK (Angeles) and round trip was $180 USD--a very reasonable price and proves Tiger is a "budget" airline. It is also a daytime flight going both ways, unlike Cebu Pacific's crazy night schedule.

Rock's contrast between Pattaya is similar to Angeles I think is apt, though Pattaya is much bigger and offers far more variety. One can find a decent cheap hotel there for Baht 500 a night, can eat off street for Baht 100 a day and you can pick up girls along Beach Road for a straight Baht 500 or so--a bar fine from a beer bar will be in the 300-400 Baht range and from a go-go in the 500-600 Baht range. I don't know how frugal you are or what sort of accommodations you are accustomed to?

Rock's comparison between BKK and Manila is probably more true for size. I think BKK has many more P4P venues and free lancers and probably much less chance for "free" action unless you are young, very handsome and connected with employment there. Manila by all accounts I have read is a real shithole. Bangkok reminds me a lot of Los Angeles--a sprawling city covering a very wide area--but it is far safer than Manila or LA and one can walk the streets there any time of day or night. You can also live on the cheap in BKK but your accommodations will not be as good as those in Pattaya . The "sex" district along Sukhumvit in BKK can be traversed on foot though traffic can be a mess. Skytrains run through the whole area and are easy to take. I always walk for the exercise but BKK is very polluted--it is also a lot of fun.

Both cities are worthy of a visit and you should probably do a Thailand run eventually to see how you feel about it. You might like BKK better b/c there is much more variety to the women and your chances of finding a lithe, white-skinned Thai Chinese are better there than in Pattaya--whose women primarily come from Issan and are dark-skinned, short and with pug noses. Pattaya does have exceptions to this rule, though, and there are many stunners there that don't fit this description--expect to pay accordingly, though.

Pattaya is all about sex and is in your face. Bangkok has more allure and more possibilities and it is a bit easier to find a middle class woman there though don't expect this to be all that easy and don't expect the woman to be as "deep" as many of the Chinese women you are meeting online--most likely she will NOT be.

Per your advice, I am going to try tonight to book a room at Swiss Chalet. I now have my ticket to Angeles in hand, sort of--at least a PDF print out of my flight schedule but my ticket has been purchased.

Best of luck