Hey WINSTON (or anyone else), Ever Been to Japan?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Grunt
Junior Poster

Hey WINSTON (or anyone else), Ever Been to Japan?

Post by Grunt »

Ive been giving a lot of thought to teaching English in Japan lately. Anyone have any information on this topic? There is some very general information on it over at the-niceguy.com site, but that place is completely in the throes of some severe homosexual rage, so I don't go there.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Konnichi-wa Grunt-san,

After spending a lot of time being frustrated with the Chinese government's treatment of Tibet, talking about Japan is like a breath of fresh air.

I've never been to Japan, but I've met a few Japanese people, and I've met some people who have worked in Japan.

You might want to look at the JET program's website:

http://www.jetprogramme.org/index.html

I think it's the most well-known program for native english speakers who want to teach in Japan for a year. One of its requirements is that the participants have to be under 40, but the language they use makes it seem like you could have them waive that requirement if you seem motivated enough.

"In principle, be under forty years of age (as of April 1st, 2007). One of the main purposes of the programme is to foster exchange between Japanese youth and young professionals from the countries participating in the programme."

http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/aspiring/eligibility.html

Gokouun o inorimasu! (Good Luck!)
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Hey WINSTON (or anyone else), Been To Japan?

Post by momopi »

I've visited, but not lived in Japan.

I plan to visit Tokyo this summer, probably for a week. I have some friends there who has never been to Taipei, so will be flying with them to Taipei and play tour guide.

If you want to see the country, consider a JR Rail Pass:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/
Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

Thanks for the reply Jackal. I think I read somewhere that a big English language school in Japan went bankrupt. I havn't seen much more about it, but I cant help but wonder if the situation made for a an excess of English teachers (so many Americans now walking around without teaching jobs?) or a net loss of Americans teaching English (so many Americans forced to go back home because their employer went belly up). I tend to gravitate more towards seeing this as a "culling of the herd" of sorts. The weaker, younger, and less dedicated Americans threw in the towel and crawled back to their mothers basement, thus leaving a shortage of teachers.

I guess it all depends on if the English teaching company went under due to lack of contracts, or poor management. But Ill be damned if I can find out anything more about the matters.

P.S. On Tibet, I saw some pictures of Chinese Army soldiers being deployed with Monk robes folded under their arms. When the time came, the fake Monks provoked the soldiers, thus inciting a mass riot. Nothing like a little agents provocateur to get tyranny off to a rip roaring start. Bastards.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I've only been to Okinawa for a week when I was a teen.

Would your wife want to go there with you?

For teaching English, Dave's ESL Cafe is probably the best forum or source to look for information.

http://www.eslcafe.com

Ladislav, you spent a few years in Japan right? What's your input?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

Both my wife and I are very eager to get out of America as soon as possible. I just hope the American dollar holds together another year or two, because my pension is what keeps us afloat.

I did check out davesesl, had some interesting stuff, but I couldnt find any hard core specifics about ESL in Japan. I will keep looking though.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

If you go to the Journals section of eslcafe, there are reports on teaching English in Japan.

And there is a forum there too that you can ask questions on.

Another good site for expats in Asia is this one: http://www.orientexpat.com There is a forum there with good topics per Asian country as well.

Here is a collection of resources and info about living in Japan put together by TransitionsAbroad.com. It is probably the most extensive that I've seen.

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listin ... ites_japan

Ladislav, care to comment on your experience in Japan?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I spent two years in Japan, and really the place will respond to different people in different ways. It is really hard to say how it will turn out. I guess it depends on your karma and how you click with the country and how it clicks with you.

Nevertheless I will give you some input.

1) If you are Aryan looking- kind of like this, for example:

http://timstvshowcase.com/uncle5.jpg

you will find a Japanese gf but keep in mind this:

Japan is very xenophobic, although you will not feel it at first because people are very polite. They are kind of like New Englanders. However, if you want to rent a place to live few people will rent it to you. That is why apartment for foreigners are very expensive.

If you are non Japanese and non-Aryan- white ( meaning you are Indian, Thai, Mexican, etc) your chnaces of living a good life in Japan and having a GF are very slim.

Most Japanese women go for foreigners when the Japanese men no longer want them. So either they are too fat, too educated, too old, too ugly etc. If you want a cute 18 year old, good luck to you!

The people are either super nice or super bad. Most people are just indifferent, though and want to have nothing to do with you. Little English is spoken. However, if you get in with the right crowd which is normally through introductions you should be OK.

Japanese generally do not like foreigners but the ones they dislike the least are white people. They still dislike them but they absolutely cannot stand other races.

Now with the Internet, many Japanese girls advertise online and if you do a search on : "Japanese Ladies", quite a few sites will come up. Meeting Japanese girls in public as Winston did in Russia and the Philippines is virtually impossible. Some very sharp looking blond men have been able to do it, but only some.

2) If you think America is anti-social and "do not talk to strangers" country
you should try Japan. America will seem like a warm, friendly Latin paradise with very open people. Can you imagine how cold the Japanese have to be if they describe Brits as "open, warm, expressive, fun"? Think about that.

3) Money is not that great there now, as everything is very expensive and you will generally struggle very hard to save some $1000 a month. Most people save about $500 a month.

Having a family in Japan with a Japanese woman is hard because of xenohobia and financial expenses, and raising a mixed child there is a difficult proposition. Most people who end up with a Japanese gf/ cum wife move back to the West. If you think America is racist, you should try Japan.

4) Red light districts are for Japanese only. Racial discrimination is legal there, or for the most part not fought against.

Having said all that it would be a very interesting experience if you do not let the country drive you crazy. You will ,also taste some great hospitality that lives side by side with xenophobia. A strange combination.

I personally do not like Japanese women since many are pale, bow legged and have bad teeth and most Japanese ladies do not like me, either.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

Thanks for the reply ladislav and good to see you again after all these years.

My prime concern in Japan is ability make money. My wife looks better then anything Japan can offer, and I assume there is a thriving expat community I can either hang out with, or open a computer repair shop catering to english speakers.

I am no aryan, more like this guy but with green eyes.

http://www.inigo.com/images/babylon5/b5-144.jpg
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Grunt wrote:Thanks for the reply ladislav and good to see you again after all these years.

My prime concern in Japan is ability make money. My wife looks better then anything Japan can offer, and I assume there is a thriving expat community I can either hang out with, or open a computer repair shop catering to english speakers.

I am no aryan, more like this guy but with green eyes.

http://www.inigo.com/images/babylon5/b5-144.jpg

If you want to open a business in Japan and have the money, well, why not? But are you ready to deal wth the bureaucracy though? The visas, the headaches, the new language, the difficult market and prices that will make America look like India price-wise
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!