Asia vacation: Philippines, Vietnam...?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Asia vacation: Philippines, Vietnam...?

Post by sushiman »

Hey guys,

I'm living in Asia but haven't had much time to explore the island/beach options around here. Looking to take a week or two off in Feb/Mar/Apr and some of you no doubt have more experiece in this area.

Looking for beach, relaxing, and some nightlife. A little bit on the lazy slow side is okay with me, don't mind a decent sized city nearby but some quiet would sure be nice. Also looking for a place where the dollar goes a long way.

So what are the options for Asian beach, decent weather Feb-Apr, fairly inexpensive? Philippines (I don't know anything about it), Vietnam Pho Quoc Island?? Probably lots of other places I haven't thought of...
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

Okay that was wierd...
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Well, if you're a newbie and haven't been around much, I wouldn't recommend the off the beaten path places in Cambodia or Vietnam until you've grown accustom to being in SE Asia.

The other places, mainly in Thailand, are reasonably crowded and touristy. No complaints about any of them but you'll run into periodic mob scenes in Patong, Pattaya, etc.

Have you thought about Penang in Malaysia? It's really got a little bit of everything, like the beaches, forests, gardens & park, old English buildings, Asian temples, mosques, etc, but with a nightlife as well.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Re: Asia vacation: Philippines, Vietnam...?

Post by davewe »

sushiman wrote:Hey guys,

I'm living in Asia but haven't had much time to explore the island/beach options around here. Looking to take a week or two off in Feb/Mar/Apr and some of you no doubt have more experiece in this area.

Looking for beach, relaxing, and some nightlife. A little bit on the lazy slow side is okay with me, don't mind a decent sized city nearby but some quiet would sure be nice. Also looking for a place where the dollar goes a long way.

So what are the options for Asian beach, decent weather Feb-Apr, fairly inexpensive? Philippines (I don't know anything about it), Vietnam Pho Quoc Island?? Probably lots of other places I haven't thought of...
Just spent a week in Vietnam including a couple days at the beach in Mui Ne, which I chose over Pho Quoc. A very relaxing, laid back environment. We stayed at a small boutique type hotel called Shades, which I would recommend highly. Plenty of restaurants and clubs, but probably not the nightlife that I have heard is what Pho Quoc is known for.

From Ho Chi Minh, take the train to Mui Ne. It's a 4 hour train ride and better than driving.
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

[By the way there was some weird post (which the mod must have deleted) which was why I made that comment above]

Mui Ne Vietnam - that looks pretty darn good. Prices seem great, a bit of a train ride from Ho Chi is not a problem. Sand dunes, beach. How big is this place, like small city or fishing villiage? As long as there is some fun as well as quiet chillout time. Hotel Shades looks great, 3 steps from the beach is just my style.

Pho Quoc Vietnam - heard good things about the untouched beaches. Is this really one big party at night, wasn't aware it was that nuts?

Phillipines - so whats the deal with this place, I believe some of the forum guys live there. There must be all sorts of different destinations. Anything with some nice nature + a little bit of party available? I don't want to be right in the middle of a sleezey party fest, not that there is anything wrong with sleeze but I'm coming from a big-ass city in Asia so some quiet would be nice too.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

sushiman wrote:[By the way there was some weird post (which the mod must have deleted) which was why I made that comment above]

Mui Ne Vietnam - that looks pretty darn good. Prices seem great, a bit of a train ride from Ho Chi is not a problem. Sand dunes, beach. How big is this place, like small city or fishing villiage? As long as there is some fun as well as quiet chillout time. Hotel Shades looks great, 3 steps from the beach is just my style.

Pho Quoc Vietnam - heard good things about the untouched beaches. Is this really one big party at night, wasn't aware it was that nuts?

Phillipines - so whats the deal with this place, I believe some of the forum guys live there. There must be all sorts of different destinations. Anything with some nice nature + a little bit of party available? I don't want to be right in the middle of a sleezey party fest, not that there is anything wrong with sleeze but I'm coming from a big-ass city in Asia so some quiet would be nice too.
Mui Ne is like a beach resort town. Not a city but not a fishing village. I haven't been to Pho Quoc but it has more of a nightlife and party rep.

The Philippines have some of the world's top beaches. I will be going to Boracay in April so will be able to comment more about that beach after that. Cant wait!!
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

Boracay looks nice too. Nice sandy beach, $10 on-beach massage, nightlife...what's not to like. If I'm not mistaken no visa necessary for Phillipines.

Man I got to get it limited down to a few slices of awesomeness and then choose.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

From all the trip reports, Thailand sounds like the most fun.

See these reports about Thailand (or the other destinations you're interested in) on the Single Dude Travel Guide:

http://www.singledudetravel.com/2011/05 ... -thailand/

http://www.singledudetravel.com/2011/12 ... -thailand/

http://www.singledudetravel.com/2011/05 ... -thailand/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne