Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be an American:

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Disillusioned_American
Freshman Poster

Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be an American:

Post by Disillusioned_American »

This story is from yesterday's L.A. Times:

Alleged rapes by U.S. soldiers ratchet up anger in South Korea

Irregardless of whether or not the allegations against this young man are true, the fact remains that such international "incidents" undoubtedly cause there to be an increase in the negative perception of the US and Americans amongst many Koreans.

The unfortunate part is, despite that US military occupations in foreign countries are probably wrong, I'm sure many of the soldiers and sailors there are not troublemakers, but instead that they are fascinated by their host country, and have genuine intentions. Because of one person's actions, the entire group is punished:
...the military has imposed a temporary curfew on its soldiers across South Korea.

Still, attitudes toward the 28,500 U.S. servicemen and women stationed in South Korea have deteriorated.
I wonder, what is the current attitude in Korea like towards expats/foreigners in general? I would love to go there again, but not when the social/political climate is hostile towards Americans.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Heah Disillusioned, welcome to the forum. Being a Korean American, I hear stories of rapes by U.S. soldiers all the time. It isn't uncommon at all. I was in the U.S. military myself, and I was stationed in the United Kingdom, and I heard about incidents of rapes by U.S. soldiers over there as well. The problem is most soldiers these days are of low intelligence, high school dropouts, gangbangers or troublemakers before they join the military. So, when they do join, they bring with them the worst aspects of American culture with them into the service.

They is a sense of entitlement that being American somehow affords soldiers the right to act like complete jerks overseas. When I was in the U.K., American soldiers were so hated, most of local pubs and bars barred Americans from their establishments. Fights were also common between Americans and British. I hear similar stories in Germany and in other countries as well, where we have a military presence. I think stories like these really point out that it's time to bring our soldiers home and worry about our own borders before we worry about the defense of other foreign countries.
Disillusioned_American
Freshman Poster

Post by Disillusioned_American »

Greetings zboy1.
That's sad to hear about such rampant misbehaviour occuring within the ranks of our nation's supposedly "finest" young men and women. Especially when they're a guest in a US occupied land. I still believe that the majority of military personnel are mostly decent human beings, though.

I do know what you mean about the gangbangers and wierdos. This was one of several reasons that turned me off to the thought of a military career. Things were just getting too PC and unruly. I can only imagine how the atmosphere has likely gotten even worse in recent years; probably has to do mostly with the military lowering the standards for enlistment, since there is a high demand to keep troops deployed in the middle east right now. And now there are gays openly serving in the military, with the recent repealing of the DADT policy? Must be a strange scenario.

I guess the best plan when travelling overseas these days, is to simply avoid any cities where US military installations are present, if you can. However, I can't imagine visiting South Korea without going to Seoul.
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Post by philosophical_filipino »

America needs to stop policing the world. Why does the U.S. military still have bases in Germany and South Korea? The wars are over.

Bring the troops home so they can actually defend America's borders from the hordes of illegal Mexicans.

Vote Ron Paul 4 President. End The Fed.
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the
suffering itself because no heart has ever suffered when it goes in
search of its dream." - Paulo Coelho

"Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that
joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of
sacrifice." - José Rizal
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

philosophical_filipino wrote:America needs to stop policing the world. Why does the U.S. military still have bases in Germany and South Korea? The wars are over.

Bring the troops home so they can actually defend America's borders from the hordes of illegal Mexicans.

Vote Ron Paul 4 President. End The Fed.
Yes, Ron Paul is right! Bring the troops home and end the wars overseas. It's interesting that there are so many Ron Paul supporters on this forum? It's probably due to the fact that most of the people here aren't total zombies or idiots like most Americans are these days...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Disillusioned_American wrote:Greetings zboy1.
That's sad to hear about such rampant misbehaviour occuring within the ranks of our nation's supposedly "finest" young men and women. Especially when they're a guest in a US occupied land. I still believe that the majority of military personnel are mostly decent human beings, though.

I do know what you mean about the gangbangers and wierdos. This was one of several reasons that turned me off to the thought of a military career. Things were just getting too PC and unruly. I can only imagine how the atmosphere has likely gotten even worse in recent years; probably has to do mostly with the military lowering the standards for enlistment, since there is a high demand to keep troops deployed in the middle east right now. And now there are gays openly serving in the military, with the recent repealing of the DADT policy? Must be a strange scenario.

I guess the best plan when travelling overseas these days, is to simply avoid any cities where US military installations are present, if you can. However, I can't imagine visiting South Korea without going to Seoul.
If you are going to Seoul, avoid Itaewon since that is where most of the soldiers go to cause mayhem and violence. It's also a very seedy area of low-class prostitutes, cross-dressers, and criminals. I would suggest you visit places outside of Seoul like Inchon, Pusan down south, or the island of Jeju for sightseeing and travel.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

zboy1 wrote: If you are going to Seoul, avoid Itaewon since that is where most of the soldiers go to cause mayhem and violence. It's also a very seedy area of low-class prostitutes, cross-dressers, and criminals. I would suggest you visit places outside of Seoul like Inchon, Pusan down south, or the island of Jeju for sightseeing and travel.
Question: if you rent in S. Korea, as I understand it, you have to pay a large sum "key money" or deposit up-front. When you leave, do you get this key money back?
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

I heard the high suicide rate among US soldiers is because there raping each other.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

momopi wrote:
zboy1 wrote: If you are going to Seoul, avoid Itaewon since that is where most of the soldiers go to cause mayhem and violence. It's also a very seedy area of low-class prostitutes, cross-dressers, and criminals. I would suggest you visit places outside of Seoul like Inchon, Pusan down south, or the island of Jeju for sightseeing and travel.
Question: if you rent in S. Korea, as I understand it, you have to pay a large sum "key money" or deposit up-front. When you leave, do you get this key money back?
Sorry momopi, I don't know the answer to that.
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Post by philosophical_filipino »

I think the repeal of DADT was a horrible decision by the Obama Administration. By gays being openly serving in the military, there will be lots of hate crimes against them by their fellow soldiers. This will ruin combat readiness in the sense that there will be division amongst the branches of military. A professional army has to be sharp at all times in the face of foreign or domestic dangers to national security of the United States. At least DADT kept gays in secret and imposed some sort of calm.

I have no problem with homosexuals, they don't bother me and I don't bother them. But the military isn't the place for them to openly express their sexual orientation. Their main duty is to fight and protect this great nation of ours.
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the
suffering itself because no heart has ever suffered when it goes in
search of its dream." - Paulo Coelho

"Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that
joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of
sacrifice." - José Rizal
easyrider
Freshman Poster

Post by easyrider »

I think that someone should require character references before being accepted into the military. The country can't allow its men and women serving to create all these scandals and damage the reputation of the US. It just incites hatred towards Americans which increases the number of enemies that there are to fight.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Momopi,
key money is in Japan, not sure if that practice is also done in S. Korea. Key money is basically a gift, equal to 3-6 months rent that a tenant gives to the landlord for his appreciation to allow him to rent their property.
PaulB
Freshman Poster

Post by PaulB »

Key money in South Korea acts as a deposit. You get it back at the end of your lease.