Anyone else not care about the Superbowl like me?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Repatriate wrote:People that are actually living abroad on this forum (which is a tiny minority) don't have this problem of tuning out the shitbowl.
You are right! It was quite easy for me to avoid the Superbowl in Hungary! hehe I only found out about it because my mother told me about it.
jcris7
Freshman Poster

Post by jcris7 »

I could have given two shits about the Superbowl yesterday. In fact, I didn't even know it was going on this weekend, which shows you how unplugged I am from the toxic American pro sports partying matrix. It was like just another regular day for me, which is how I like it. The only reason I knew it was in fact going on yesterday was because of my neighbors two houses up from me...a bunch of Mexican-Am transplants (and obvious Raiders fans with their bumper stickers and stupid flag they have out in front year round) were being a bunch of loud, obnoxious, idiotic clowns. I was out in the front yard cleaning my car out when I heard all of it, and I put two and two together.
"Women age like milk; Men age like wine." - Tom Leykis
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Must be an american thing ;-)
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

What gets me is that they go on and on about the team that wins the Superbowl being "the World Champion". Ummm....yeah... No one else plays or competes in it except US teams. That's like high-five-ing yourself. Thank God it came on at 12:30 AM for me here, so I had an excuse not to watch it.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Tom Brady's Wife, Gisele Bundchen, Curses After Patriot Fall

Post by zboy1 »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/0 ... d%3D133106
As Bundchen walked to the elevator, someone, presumably a Giants fan, could be heard screaming, "Eli owns your husband!" Bundchen didn't respond directly to the fan. But just before she got into the elevator, she let out a curse word while complaining that Brady can't throw the ball and catch it at the same time. She was seemingly referring to any one of several key dropped passes late in the game.

Typical obnoxious NY sports fan. The worst kinds of fans in all of sports. Good for Giselle to stick up for her husband. I don't think Brady's teammates will appreciate the comments though...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

LOL I don't find the Super Bowl that interesting, but I enjoy going to Super Bowl parties just for the rare get together with others, and to eat all the junk food and Doritos they have laying out on the table. lol

It was more exciting long ago when it was the 49ers and Dallas Cowboys and there was Joe Montana and Troy Aikman on opposing teams.

One time in Arizona, I saw this perfect looking blonde and followed her as I tried to figure out a way to hit on her or meet her. Then, all of a sudden, her boyfriend went up to her and I thought, "He looks just like Troy Aikman of the Dallas Cowboys! Dang, if I have to look like him to get a hot girl in America, then it's hopeless here. Just yet another validation of why I have to go abroad."
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:It was more exciting long ago when it was the 49ers and Dallas Cowboys and there was Joe Montana and Troy Aikman on opposing teams.
One time in Arizona, I saw this perfect looking blonde and followed her as I tried to figure out a way to hit on her or meet her. Then, all of a sudden, her boyfriend went up to her and I thought, "He looks just like Troy Aikman of the Dallas Cowboys! Dang, if I have to look like him to get a hot girl in America, then it's hopeless here. Just yet another validation of why I have to go abroad."
I was a Cowboys fan when I was younger. Had their cheerleader calendar and various toys.

Dallas Cowboys had an Asian (Vietnamese) linebacker named Dat Nguyen, who is married to his blonde wife Becky & have 3 kids together. He retired from NFL and is now a coach for Texas A&M University.

Last edited by momopi on February 6th, 2012, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Winston, I heard the white chicks are all over Bali now flirting with the asian beach boys. Maybe you should try white chicks for the last time in Bali ;-).

I think they go because of the movie "Eat, Pray, Love".
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Around the globe, people go nuts over soccer.

When I was in Brazil, the attention which soccer had received, blew away any Super Bowl build up around here.

And around the globe, the World Cup's the most anticipated event, over any Olympics series.

Thus, I don't see the problem with a major media event around a one round elimination game. It's a two week build up, a night of festivities, and then, it's conveniently forgotten to get ready for March Madness.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

S_Parc wrote:Around the globe, people go nuts over soccer.

When I was in Brazil, the attention which soccer had received, blew away any Super Bowl build up around here.

And around the globe, the World Cup's the most anticipated event, over any Olympics series.

Thus, I don't see the problem with a major media event around a one round elimination game. It's a two week build up, a night of festivities, and then, it's conveniently forgotten to get ready for March Madness.

World Cup>Super Bowl by a million times over. I was in Paris when France won the Euro 2000 football tournament and it was an incredible experience for me: everyone was hugging and celebrating, parties, and impromptu marches showing French pride and unity for the country.--You would never see something like that in the U.S. that's for sure!
FREEDOM1
Freshman Poster

Post by FREEDOM1 »

I am located in Australia
and for some bizarre reason its on the sport news here too
i have no idea why - i think the nfl is the most boring garbage ever
half the time the game is stopped - no flow to it
last time i watched it when i was in america afew years ago
Mass fan sports, olympics, world cup - whatever
all designed to distract the masses from how much theyre getting screwed
by their respective governments on a daily basis
And why do they call it football, they hardly ever us their feet anyway?
the real football is what you call soccer in Usa and Australia
- again a pretty boting game - dont understand the mass hysteria nad grown men
acting like retards when a goal is kickean
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

FREEDOM1 wrote:I am located in Australia
and for some bizarre reason its on the sport news here too
i have no idea why - i think the nfl is the most boring garbage ever
half the time the game is stopped - no flow to it
last time i watched it when i was in america afew years ago
Mass fan sports, olympics, world cup - whatever
all designed to distract the masses from how much theyre getting screwed
by their respective governments on a daily basis
And why do they call it football, they hardly ever us their feet anyway?
the real football is what you call soccer in Usa and Australia
- again a pretty boting game - dont understand the mass hysteria nad grown men
acting like retards when a goal is kickean
No offense but a lot of aussies I met were secretly enamored of American culture despite the constant Anti-America talk you see going on. I guess it's that anglo cultural connection. People of anglo culture tend to dress and act alike. Guys have cold macho attitudes and strut around with buff gym muscles and women are super high maintenance feminists. It's not surprising that they try to market the superturd to Australia and the U.K. In a lot of ways the NFL represents everything anglo. It's big, audacious, and it involves neanderthal ubermen mowing each other down. Plus the quarterback heroes in the NFL are nearly all stereotypically square jawed all american types. These are the aryan supermen that America worships and secretly wants everyone to be..even in other countries.

I think the Brits are the least receptive to it but the NFL managed to win Canada over so they know to push hard in other anglo markets.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

+1
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Folks, I really don't understand this whole being up in arms against the Super Bowl.

Honestly, does either Peyton or Eli Manning look like steroidal Neanderthals? If anything, they look like engineering nerds, who didn't make the grades to pass a science program so instead, they'd picked football as a career and were lucky enough to have the eyes and the throwing arm for the sport.

Ok, so my home team's Tom Brady is the perfect looking "Aryan Prince" but c'mon, for the most part, he's an ordinary down to earth sort of guy and even he decided to marry a Brazilian supermodel instead of Bostonian, man-hating lesbian. And trust me on this, every skank in Boston was after this guy.

And yes, the typical linebacker is a WWE wrestler. Well, that's their job ... to be a walking, mobile refrigerator.

And then, concerning soccer, what's so great about a sport where the result is usually determined after 3 hours of virtually no scoring, followed by foul shots? In reality, soccer has no concept of a play/possession. Both football and basketball have this concept and thus, if you actually follow the sport, you can see when momentum shifts between one side and another. So while basketball has limited timeouts, or breaks, within a play/possession, football has something similar but using a slower time frame. So key moments in a football game can be encapsulated and sold to the highlight reels a lot easier than in b-ball, where if the defensive stop doesn't look 'sexy' for the camera, it isn't packaged with the dunks, players getting slammed on the floor, etc.

All and all, the Super Bowl is no worse than any other mass media sporting event like the Olympics or the World Cup.
Ned Zeppelin
Freshman Poster

Post by Ned Zeppelin »

The thing that I hate most about pro sports is the jerseys. Wearing another man's name on your back is pathetic and it show that you are not only a slave to cliche american culture, but you are also that athlete's property. It is so unmanly and pathetic that it makes me want to laugh and vomit at the same time.