Martial Arts that don't work

Expose or warn others about scams and scammers, or shady business practices. Expose those that have cheated you or ripped you off. Caution: Before naming specific individuals or groups, make sure that they really wronged you and that there was no misunderstanding. Otherwise your post may constitute slander or libel if it contains false information.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

I wonder how many times he cut himself before he got this good. Don't try this at home.

Butcher Knife Nunchucks
http://www.break.com/index/butcher-knif ... ks-2195894
leavingusa
Freshman Poster

Post by leavingusa »

Winston wrote:What are you talking about? Wing Chun is effective. Bruce Lee studied it too. Haven't you seen the Yip Man movies with Donnie Yen?
He studied it but he didn't stick with that, he found that it was too formal and didn't work against other styles.

Here are two Wing Chun "grandmasters" who got into a fight at a conference or something, looks like neither of them can fight at all.

Think you need 10 years of training for that?
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Effective and proven martial arts with a large sample size:

Kyokushin Karate
Muay Thai
Greco-Roman wrestling
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Semi-effective:

Taekwondo
Judo
boxing
traditional Jiu-jitsu

Ineffective:

Kung-fu (nearly all iterations of it)
Arts with a lot of impossible moves like in Hapkido, Aikido.

The ones I listed as effective are the arts you could probably use to defend yourself with by just learning that art alone. Semi-effective are arts that are better than nothing and you could probably still defend yourself pretty well but it's really incomplete with a lot of flaws.

Ineffective arts are arts where you'd just get your ass kicked if you pulled out Jackie Chan monkey style kung fu or tried to do some Steve Seagal Aikido small joint manipulation moves he does in movies. :lol:

I left out a lot of the alternative fighting systems like Krav Maga, Silat, etc.. because a lot of them involve weapons or certain situations where you use your environment.

Mixed martial arts is pretty all the effective arts combined so it's by far the best option.
Last edited by Repatriate on March 18th, 2012, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leavingusa
Freshman Poster

Post by leavingusa »

Taco wrote:The best fighters are the ones that are experts in striking, kicking, submissions and wrestling. Unfortunately, there isn't a fighting system that emphasizes these four areas together. As a result, many MMA champions will be experts in several fighting styles which makes them very unpredictable and devastating in the ring. In addition, the physical attributes of speed, strength, flexibility and endurance are needed to dominate an opponent.

Anderson Silva is argueably the best fighter in the world, having kicked more asses than anyone with the least effort. It is no surprise, he is a master at Muay Thai, Boxing, Jui Jitsu, Taekwondo, Judo and Capoeira.

Anderson Silva
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pLP5mUT ... re=related
Silva's actually not that great a fighter in real life, look at all the basic shit Seagal has to teach him like stepping to get inside on a guy.

See the stuff Seagal is teaching him? That's the kind of strategy that works IRL and it's pretty basic too. One thing you'll notice about UFC fighters is they have terrible footwork and tend to block with their faces or "stand and bang". Silva's better than most but he still sucks.

In real life people don't dance around each other for 5 minutes and pick each other apart, they come in swinging for the stands or even with a knife. Most UFC guys get killed every fight if you look at the shots they take and the way they get thrown to the ground. Imagine if that was asphalt.

Funny that fighters in the UFC are just discovering the front kick. lol I was waiting for them to realize a front kick to the face was better than swinging your leg at another guys leg over and over so he's limping in the 3rd round. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

If a guy comes at you for f***ing his wife and you throw the roundhouse at his leg instead of the front kick or stepping to the side and countering you'll end up on your back real quick.

Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

leavingusa wrote:
Silva's actually not that great a fighter in real life, look at all the basic shit Seagal has to teach him like stepping to get inside on a guy.

See the stuff Seagal is teaching him? That's the kind of strategy that works IRL and it's pretty basic too. One thing you'll notice about UFC fighters is they have terrible footwork and tend to block with their faces or "stand and bang". Silva's better than most but he still sucks.

In real life people don't dance around each other for 5 minutes and pick each other apart, they come in swinging for the stands or even with a knife. Most UFC guys get killed every fight if you look at the shots they take and the way they get thrown to the ground. Imagine if that was asphalt.

Funny that fighters in the UFC are just discovering the front kick. lol I was waiting for them to realize a front kick to the face was better than swinging your leg at another guys leg over and over so he's limping in the 3rd round. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

If a guy comes at you for f***ing his wife and you throw the roundhouse at his leg instead of the front kick or stepping to the side and countering you'll end up on your back real quick.

lol, wut. :lol: Segal didn't teach him jack shit. They were humoring him because he's a celebrity and one of their friends.

There are some videos of actual people using MMA in street fights. It works, dude. Anderson Silva is probably one of the most skilled strikers in MMA. He uses angles really well and he would absolutely destroy your average person. The reason why they feel each other out like that in MMA is because they are all pros. It's sort of like how Merryweather or Pacquiao would just totally clown someone in real life too even though they only know boxing. They are still pros and ridiculously good at fighting.

If you think that's not the case, you can always drop in on a muay thai school or BJJ school and just straight up challenge people. They have open mats and they will definitely mess you up (after you sign a medical waiver.) In Thailand they have the same thing..you can drop in on open training sessions and ask for a full contact sparring session.

Your average BJJ blue belt could probably break your average, know nothing off the street clueless guy's arm in under 60 seconds. Now against a real pro grappler like let's say BJ Penn (who has gotten in a lot of street fights in his life) it'd be even shorter than that.
leavingusa
Freshman Poster

Post by leavingusa »

Repatriate wrote:
leavingusa wrote:

lol, wut. :lol: Segal didn't teach him jack shit. They were humoring him because he's a celebrity and one of their friends.

There are some videos of actual people using MMA in street fights. It works, dude. Anderson Silva is probably one of the most skilled strikers in MMA. He uses angles really well and he would absolutely destroy your average person. The reason why they feel each other out like that in MMA is because they are all pros. It's sort of like how Merryweather or Pacquiao would just totally clown someone in real life too even though they only know boxing. They are still pros and ridiculously good at fighting.

If you think that's not the case, you can always drop in on a muay thai school or BJJ school and just straight up challenge people. They have open mats and they will definitely mess you up (after you sign a medical waiver.) In Thailand they have the same thing..you can drop in on open training sessions and ask for a full contact sparring session.

Your average BJJ blue belt could probably break your average, know nothing off the street clueless guy's arm in under 60 seconds. Now against a real pro grappler like let's say BJ Penn (who has gotten in a lot of street fights in his life) it'd be even shorter than that.
Or I can wait outside and jump his silly ass in the parking lot. Medical waiver, you p***y ass bitch. :)
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Stephen Seagal specializes in fight choreography, heres what I'm talking about.

Sweet Tooth Jones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMsDaPZ3foA
Seeker
Freshman Poster

Post by Seeker »

leavingusa wrote:Silva's actually not that great a fighter in real life, look at all the basic shit Seagal has to teach him like stepping to get inside on a guy.

Any MMA pro or amateur fighter would put you on your back in an instant. You think we don't know how to deal with someone who just comes at us throwing wild swings? Forrest Griffin tried that against Silva and he got KO'd in the first round, despite his much greater size.

Also LOL at Seagal teaching Silva anything about fighting. :lol:
That's true except it'd probably take less than 10 seconds to take someone down and do a basic armbar or keylock, even a few months of continuous training in any combat sport, be it MMA, boxing, MT, full contact karate or whatever puts one far above an untrained guy who just thinks he can fight.
leavingusa
Freshman Poster

Post by leavingusa »

Seeker wrote:
leavingusa wrote:Silva's actually not that great a fighter in real life, look at all the basic shit Seagal has to teach him like stepping to get inside on a guy.

Any MMA pro or amateur fighter would put you on your back in an instant. You think we don't know how to deal with someone who just comes at us throwing wild swings? Forrest Griffin tried that against Silva and he got KO'd in the first round, despite his much greater size.

Also LOL at Seagal teaching Silva anything about fighting. :lol:
That's true except it'd probably take less than 10 seconds to take someone down and do a basic armbar or keylock, even a few months of continuous training in any combat sport, be it MMA, boxing, MT, full contact karate or whatever puts one far above an untrained guy who just thinks he can fight.
You keep thinking I'm talking about dueling in a Dojo without a weapon and a bunch of rules.

Someone comes up to you in the parking lot smiling and sucker punch you in the nose or maybe walk up behind you and kick your leg so you fall down. Then stomp on your head and face until you are unconscious and that's if they are nice enough to not use a tire iron or a knife which most definitely would rather than muss their clothes and get DNA everywhere.

Seems to me most people are worried about the kind of scenarios I posted not being on TV or going to a McDojo and rolling around on a mat.

And while I'm aware that this is true of just about every other martial arts school you should at least learn something that teaches you what to do when confronted with a ball bat, knife or gun.
ph_visitor
Freshman Poster

Post by ph_visitor »

All martial arts became useless after the revolver was invented in 1818.

All anyone needs to do now is keep at stand-off melee distance, and no MMA works. With pistols, it just got worse. With semi and full auto pistols with 17-33 hold mags, it's even worse.

Will fully auto weapons, it's better to spend your time learning something else that is useful.

If you go places that you need to use MMA, stop going there and move.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

5 years of being kicked in the nuts training :?

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ph_visitor wrote:All martial arts became useless after the revolver was invented in 1818.

All anyone needs to do now is keep at stand-off melee distance, and no MMA works. With pistols, it just got worse. With semi and full auto pistols with 17-33 hold mags, it's even worse.

Will fully auto weapons, it's better to spend your time learning something else that is useful.

If you go places that you need to use MMA, stop going there and move.
OK.

But - do you pack heat in the Phil's?

Seems like carrying (besides making it hard to go dancing at a wedding etc) is also against the law in most places. A weapon at home, legal or illegal, is fine for home defense. But that is not the topic here.

Granted, you don't need heat in Japan or China or Hungary etc.

But your name suggests the Phils, which is why I thought I'd ask.
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

:)
Last edited by Ginger on July 14th, 2013, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not promise to be gingerly :P
lone_yakuza
Freshman Poster

Post by lone_yakuza »

Last edited by lone_yakuza on November 20th, 2016, 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
lone_yakuza
Freshman Poster

Post by lone_yakuza »

Last edited by lone_yakuza on November 20th, 2016, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.