vasectomy

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
sharbanee
Freshman Poster

vasectomy

Post by sharbanee »

What are the medical approved reasons to have a vasectomy? My partner and I have discussed it and we are not interested in having kids, due to many things that have come up. We have went to a vasectomy clinic to see what all we need to do to have one and they told us we weren't able to have a vasectomy because we do not have children yet. Does anyone know what the medical reasons are for not having a vasectomy are?
Last edited by sharbanee on March 23rd, 2012, 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 17th, 2013, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

I'm not sure about the EU and Canada, since their medical systems are a bit different.

In the US, doctors are very worried about frivolous future lawsuits from patients, who allegedly "did not know that vasectomies were mainly irreversible", etc. Thus, in the States, many doctors go through a ritual of a primary or even secondary consultation, followed by legal waiver sessions, before performing the task, esp if that person is less than 30 or hasn't had his first born yet. Of course, some doctors can be skittish altogether so you may have to ask about a bit.

I'm rather confident that after 3 sessions, it would hardly suffice in a malpractice suit that the patient did not have enough consultation before making a life altering surgical move.