20 Reasons to Dislike the Philippines

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Raja wrote:
Winston wrote:For some reason, that video was taken down. I guess the uploader received too many threats or something. lol
When it went viral the copyright owner had it removed to try to bump up a new YouTube alternative channelfix.com
What does viral mean? Why would the copyright owner do that?

Is this where it originally came from?

http://www.channelfix.com/video/174/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Raja
Freshman Poster

Post by Raja »

Viral is like an epidemic. For whatever reason a video gets passed along and people actually watch it instead of ignoring it like the billions of other videos people upload . Now that channelfix has something people want to watch they are forcing people to visit their site to watch it
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Raja wrote:Viral is like an epidemic. For whatever reason a video gets passed along and people actually watch it instead of ignoring it like the billions of other videos people upload . Now that channelfix has something people want to watch they are forcing people to visit their site to watch it
Those "people" are angry Filipinos of which 3/4's are posting in tagalog to each other and are too poor to buy whatever sponsored product that site is trying to push. :lol:
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

The video has been taken down. There are death threats, deportation and banning threats, talks of vigilantes hunting him down, etc.

Generally, SE Asians such as Thais and Filipinos can't take criticism of any kind- it goes against their culture and is seen as very rude. Negative things /mistakes are supposed to be ignored with a smile.

Having said that, not many people like for foreigners/strangers to criticize their place. If there was an Englishman in NY doing something similar there would be similar reactions. However, SE Asians take their dislike of criticism to an extreme- they see it as a mortal sin, not venial sin.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

zboy1 wrote:
Hapenstance wrote:Filipinos are too defensive about the reality of their country. Can't speak the truth w/o getting attacked.
Yes, I agree. In reality the Philippines is a joke. How is it that 60 years ago, the country was the 2nd richest nation in Asia after Japan?
Because it was a US Commonwealth.
Raja
Freshman Poster

Post by Raja »

ladislav wrote:The video has been taken down. There are death threats, deportation and banning threats, talks of vigilantes hunting him down, etc.

Generally, SE Asians such as Thais and Filipinos can't take criticism of any kind- it goes against their culture and is seen as very rude. Negative things /mistakes are supposed to be ignored with a smile.

Having said that, not many people like for foreigners/strangers to criticize their place. If there was an Englishman in NY doing something similar there would be similar reactions. However, SE Asians take their dislike of criticism to an extreme- they see it as a mortal sin, not venial sin.
No its still up, just not on YouTube so that the other website can get the hits and advertiser pesos.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Ladislav,

Said it best. Part of the reason why the Philippines went downs is because of the US military bases that were station there. Historical the Philippines been colonize so much they don't even know themselves. All this been said already. And it's sad.

I think part of the reason why the Philippines are defensive is that they probably know that their country suck but don't really want to be reminded of it. It's like going up to a short guy and telling him .."You know your really short". The short guys know and doesn't appreciate you telling him and yeah he get defensive.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Repatriate wrote:
zboy1 wrote:
Hapenstance wrote:Filipinos are too defensive about the reality of their country. Can't speak the truth w/o getting attacked.
Yes, I agree. In reality the Philippines is a joke. How is it that 60 years ago, the country was the 2nd richest nation in Asia after Japan, and now its falling behind other fast-growing countries in Asia like Vietnam, China, Indonesia, India, etc.. Filipinos are way too prideful to realize what's going on and so, the country will continue to be mired in corruption and economic stagnation, and continue to decline in comparison to other countries in the region.

Most Filipinos are not rational when it comes to the state of their culture or country. The population is in total denial or they don't have the intelligence to do anything about it. SEA culture really dumbs down the population more than anything. The Philippines is as bad as Thailand in this regard but the P.I. are probably quite a bit worse since their oligarchs and politicians are even more corrupt and less accountable for screwing over the population.
I have carved out a pretty good niche for myself in the Philippines, and my wife is better than I deserve...lol...however, for most Filipinos, and for the Philippines in general, the place is generally run by bandits and fools..a country badly in need of adult supervision! However long I might stay here, I will always have Plan B in place....

Outwest
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

davewe wrote:"No toilet paper! How the fvck can anyone wipe their ass?"

How 'bout using that POS hat you're wearing?

But seriously, my view on the Philippines has done a complete 180. I'm returning to the place in April and I'm sure I will once again find it to be a total train wreck. Really the place is a joke and the women hideous. PH_Visitor was right on! In fact, we should help this video go viral. Please everyone link this to FB or wherever you hang out on the net.

And let's all start weekly threads about how horrible the place is. No one in their right mind should go anywhere is Asia, most particularly PI.

And what would be the consequences of such a campaign? When I travel I'd have to encounter one less douchebag wearing aviator shades and a tshirt of a kid flipping the bird. Yeah, I'm sure as hell gonna miss that.

For me the worst part of International traveling is not the different or substandard food, not the lousy bathrooms (which aren't unique to PI) or the weird cultural differences or the fact that people don't speak English (or don't speak it properly, like us Americans), or the trash, or pollution, overcrowding and lousy drivers.

The worst part is the fvcking Western travelers and expats - loud, obnoxious and always complaining.

Really guys, how would you like a foreigner filming in front of your house or place of work, complaining about how shitty it is? Wouldn't you want to kick his foreigner ass right the hell out? He wouldn't last 5 minutes in most US cities. But in PI people politely smile and ignore him - or touch his dick!! Hysterical!

OK, clearly I'm in a cranky mood! I'll be in Cebu in less than 3 weeks. If you see me there and you're wearing aviator shades and a tshirt flipping the bird - feel free to not say hello - particularly if you've been wiping your ass with your hat :)
Whoa. That's melodramatic there. But actually, most expats in the Philippines don't complain that much, except to their friends. They are not sensitive types usually. I'm actually one of the few that complain a lot and more vocal and outspoken about it. Many tourists say they can only tolerate the Philippines for a few weeks. Almost all the complaints by expats are legit though.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I think part of the reason why the Philippines are defensive is that they probably know that their country suck but don't really want to be reminded of it. It's like going up to a short guy and telling him .."You know your really short". The short guys know and doesn't appreciate you telling him and yeah he get defensive.
Americans are even more enraged if someone criticizes the US, and the country is not poor. You will be chewed out and told to go home but quick. You can also get beat up or killed if you are a foreigner/immigrant and say something bad about America in the wrong place. This is why most immigrants do not complain much when they are in the US. They are scared to death to do so.

This is how most Americans respond to such criticism

http://www.facebook.com/pages/If-you-do ... 3561660868

Btw, I just read some Tagalog online publications, and the reaction of the Philippine Department of Tourism is not adverse at all. They said are now going to clean bathrooms and just make Cebu and the Philippines in general a better place for tourists.
ph_visitor
Freshman Poster

Post by ph_visitor »

Almost all countries are like this.

Try to give a German shit about WW2. Find out how quickly you make friends.

The Chinese ask for, but don't really want you to be honest, ways to make China better. It's a test of your social skills. The way to pass is to be politic and demur and have all save face.

If you tell them, everyone at the table will become very quiet and look down. To the Chinese, this is the equivalent of you getting yelled at by a crowd. Then, mysteriously, things begin to not go so well, and you are not renewed at contract's end.

'So sorry. Problem with your FEC. The kids love you. We hope you can come back."

... that's the end of that job. Though you likely could work in another province.

America bashing is also used by some to make themselves feel better, especially if they have a history of racism or violent conquering themselves. South Africans seem to enjoy mentioning this, as do interior Australians who can be unremittingly racist.

Everyone is proud of where they live and where they are from - 'almost' everyone.
ph_visitor
Freshman Poster

Post by ph_visitor »

emh wrote:I had to laugh about your comment re: too many staff in the department stores. About 3 years ago, I was living in Davao and went to the mall to buy some underwear. There were literally 4 or 5 women working in the men's underwear department. Seriously. I mean, wtf? Who needs help buying underwear. And wouldn't one person be sufficient???
That's a Western Mindset.

In Asia, China too, it makes more sense to hire many at low wages and maintain social cohesion, than to automate the process with machines, fire everyone and 'do it cheaper and more efficient'.

China is the king of this. They perform many manufacturing and construction techniques by hand, when the machine to automate the process is, in many cases, over 150 years old. It keeps those 600 million lower class rural workers employed.

Mobile phone stores have so many clerks, retail and super markets have 5 girls per aisle.

I don't see how this is a bad thing. In the USA there is one woman per store, she's too busy, all the guys hit on her, and she is stuck up and fat and ugly.

Be grateful that there are sane societies where interaction with women is still common.

The RP has beautiful beaches, it's impossible to take a bad photograph, and the ocean is everywhere.

The rest of it, as I have written, is not that great.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

That's some good observation! Helps me for when I get my ass on the plane.

"Why is every hot chick in the Phillippines a ladyboy? I don't know." = best line ever.

But damn, those ladyboys are gorgeous! Now I understand Rock's caution... your attraction to hot chicks can get you into hot water. But those ladyboys are way better looking than some of the ladyboys I've seen.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

ph_visitor wrote:
emh wrote:I had to laugh about your comment re: too many staff in the department stores. About 3 years ago, I was living in Davao and went to the mall to buy some underwear. There were literally 4 or 5 women working in the men's underwear department. Seriously. I mean, wtf? Who needs help buying underwear. And wouldn't one person be sufficient???
That's a Western Mindset.

In Asia, China too, it makes more sense to hire many at low wages and maintain social cohesion, than to automate the process with machines, fire everyone and 'do it cheaper and more efficient'.

China is the king of this. They perform many manufacturing and construction techniques by hand, when the machine to automate the process is, in many cases, over 150 years old. It keeps those 600 million lower class rural workers employed.

Mobile phone stores have so many clerks, retail and super markets have 5 girls per aisle.

I don't see how this is a bad thing. In the USA there is one woman per store, she's too busy, all the guys hit on her, and she is stuck up and fat and ugly.
There's a scene in Back to the Future when he's gone back to the 50s, where you see a car drive into a gas station and three guys immediately start servicing the customer. Believe it or not that's the way it used to be. Even in the 60s one guy starting pumping your gas, another guy washed your windshields, they checked your fluids and tires; all while you were getting filled up. Labor was cheap and service stations and stores had lots of staff. I think that's a good thing - especially when they are cute Filipinas.
ph_visitor
Freshman Poster

Post by ph_visitor »

C.J. wrote:That's some good observation! Helps me for when I get my ass on the plane.

"Why is every hot chick in the Phillippines a ladyboy? I don't know." = best line ever.

But damn, those ladyboys are gorgeous! Now I understand Rock's caution... your attraction to hot chicks can get you into hot water. But those ladyboys are way better looking than some of the ladyboys I've seen.
Which is great if you cannot tell the difference.

I see them and it's about 250 milliseconds before I notice the hands, feet, height and TG characteristics.