In America it's life, liberty and the pursuit of a paycheck

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

globetrotter wrote:
AsianBill wrote:And would you really find the mentality towards work and money that much different outside the US?
Goodness heavens the vibe and feel outside the USA is NOTHING like what it feels like there.
Exactly! Americans live to work, whereas people in many other countries around the world just work to live.

The pace of life feels much more relaxed in Hungary. People still do ordinary human things here like going for a stroll in the main square when there's nice weather and chatting with other people. Life isn't just about your Ipod and your computer here. The fact that there's much less violent crime in many foreign countries also makes the mood quite a bit different than it is in America.

America is a land full of uncultured, workaholic zombies, most of whom are on some type of psychiatric medication. Not a fun group to be with...
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Post by All_That_Is_Man »

Most Americans imprison themselves in the 9-to-5 scene because they rely too much on useless shit that requires constant money: smartphone bills, newest foreign SUV or sedan payments, credit card debt from buying even more useless shit, cable bill even though nothing's on, monthly subscrptions to online poker or pyramid scheme sites or whatever...
"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

All_That_Is_Man wrote:Most Americans imprison themselves in the 9-to-5 scene because they rely too much on useless shit that requires constant money: smartphone bills, newest foreign SUV or sedan payments, credit card debt from buying even more useless shit, cable bill even though nothing's on, monthly subscrptions to online poker or pyramid scheme sites or whatever...
Yea, what's up with these cell phones!? People are so obsessed with having the latest cell phone that cost 300-600 bucks+ the contract that you have to sign to start the service.

Hell, I make no bones that I just got a new Tracfone and it works FINE! Total cost? 10 dollars for the phone, no contract, and I can add minutes when need be.
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Post by All_That_Is_Man »

NorthAmericanguy wrote:
All_That_Is_Man wrote:Most Americans imprison themselves in the 9-to-5 scene because they rely too much on useless shit that requires constant money: smartphone bills, newest foreign SUV or sedan payments, credit card debt from buying even more useless shit, cable bill even though nothing's on, monthly subscrptions to online poker or pyramid scheme sites or whatever...
Yea, what's up with these cell phones!? People are so obsessed with having the latest cell phone that cost 300-600 bucks+ the contract that you have to sign to start the service.

Hell, I make no bones that I just got a new Tracfone and it works FINE! Total cost? 10 dollars for the phone, no contract, and I can add minutes when need be.
That's the best deal I've ever heard. Admittingly, I was bit by the "status bug" when it came time to pick my phone, so I would not settle for anything other than Verizon. But seriously, I even have the most basic touchtone phone with them, a basic 450 minutes/unlimited texts plan, and that's all I could ever ask for. f**k ringtones of commercialized hip-hop tunes, f**k internet on a screen the size of my left nut, f**k apps, f**k touchscreen, and f**k a monthly phone bill of anything more than $59.99 on a single line plan (which even I'll admit is too much).
"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Yes, Americans are conditioned from birth to be well-trained consumers. My mother used to work with a woman who actually sang TV commercials with great joy! What a brain-washed lemming! I can't think of anything more pathetic than a person whose entire life is shaped by mainstream American TV!
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

All_That_Is_Man wrote:
NorthAmericanguy wrote:

That's the best deal I've ever heard. Admittingly, I was bit by the "status bug" when it came time to pick my phone, so I would not settle for anything other than Verizon. But seriously, I even have the most basic touchtone phone with them, a basic 450 minutes/unlimited texts plan, and that's all I could ever ask for. f**k ringtones of commercialized hip-hop tunes, f**k internet on a screen the size of my left nut, f**k apps, f**k touchscreen, and f**k a monthly phone bill of anything more than $59.99 on a single line plan (which even I'll admit is too much).
+1 Exactly, all the extra besides the use of the phone itself is feminine in nature to me so I could give 2 shits about a silly ringtone, internet, or some touch screen that I see people use that makes them feel so important.
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Re: In the US it's life liberty and the pursuit of a paycheck

Post by IraqVet2003 »

jamesbond wrote:
October 16th, 2009, 7:40 pm
It seems as if all one needs to be happy in the US is a good paying job. At least that's what I feel from watching the news and various tv programs (like financial experts telling people how to invest their money and how to plan for retirement).

What about having a social life? Isn't that just as important as having a good job? What about being able to meet people and have fun, how come topics like that are never discussed on tv programs?

So apparently all one needs in the US to be happy is "life, liberty and the pursuit of a paycheck." LOL :D
Hey Jamesbond I agree with this post 100%!!!! The United States is one of the most workaholic nations in the world!!! Not to mention America has such a high cost of living as compared to many other countries makes it necessary for one to earn a very high income in order to live a comfortable life. Plus most people can't seem to get enough time off (2 or 3 weeks vacation if working for a major company or government job) to be able to have much of life outside of work. So unless you are already rich/wealthy ( or win the lottery/PCH sweepstakes) or have your own online business being in the "RAT RACE" is hard to get out of.