Would I be qualified to teach English in China?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
offthefloor
Freshman Poster

Would I be qualified to teach English in China?

Post by offthefloor »

I have a degree, but it's in Business Administration. I don't have TEFL or CELTA certs or anything like that. No teaching experience.

I also read in several places that preference is given to blond hair, blue eye caucasians. I am a native English speaker and from the United States, but I am not sure if I look white enough as I am of Italian ancestry, have brown eyes and dark brown hair. Will this make it harder for me?
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Good news, your fully qualified to teach in China.

You can buy a fake TEFL online or on Ko San road in Bangkok or just make one, no one will ever question you about it. As long as you don't look Asian you'll have an easy time finding a job.
offthefloor
Freshman Poster

Post by offthefloor »

Taco wrote:Good news, your fully qualified to teach in China.

You can buy a fake TEFL online or on Ko San road in Bangkok or just make one, no one will ever question you about it. As long as you don't look Asian you'll have an easy time finding a job.
Do they verify qualifications in China? I don't want to get a fake TEFL only to get caught in a background check then deported.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

offthefloor wrote:

Do they verify qualifications in China? I don't want to get a fake TEFL only to get caught in a background check then deported.
China is one of the few countries that never checks your qualifications because they honestly don't care. As long as your white, native english speaker and you have a degree(real or fake), your hired. They don't require a criminal background check either. Its by far the easiest country to get a job teaching english.

About 40% of the foreign english teachers in Korea and Taiwan teach with fake degrees. If they catch you doing this in most countries they will deport you, China is one of the few exceptions.
Everdred
Freshman Poster

Post by Everdred »

As long as you have a bachelor's degree (in any major), and you look like a white person, you'll be fine. I was teaching part-time in China for nearly 3 years, and I also had a full-time job related to English. All I had was a bachelor's degree (in a completely unrelated major), and I had no TEFL certificate nor any prior teaching experience before arriving to China. The highest I ever made per hour teaching English was 140 RMB, and lowest I ever made was 90 RMB. The only reason I made as low as 90 RMB was because I was fresh off the boat, and I was naive about how much I should be paid. I had heard that some English teachers even made as high as 200 RMB per hour.

I don't think the whole dark brown hair and brown eyes thing is a big deal either. I have brown hair and green eyes, and I never had any problems whatsoever. As long as you look like a white person, and you're from America, there'll be no problems. If you aren't white, but you are from a native English-speaking country, you can still find work, but you'll often be considered a last resort/back-up, and you probably won't make as much money as a white person. Yes, I know that's ridiculous, but it's true, and the same goes for many other Asian countries.

Americans also tend to be the most preferred nationality for English teachers in China.
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Everdred,
Good info, thanks! how about white Canadians? Are they sought after in China for teaching gigs? How about if someone has a 2 year college diploma as opposed to a 4 year degree? Are there opportunities to get hired to teach English? or not?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Jacaré wrote:Everdred,
Good info, thanks! how about white Canadians? Are they sought after in China for teaching gigs? How about if someone has a 2 year college diploma as opposed to a 4 year degree? Are there opportunities to get hired to teach English? or not?
I always thought of Canadian as "Extra White"

(no offense...)
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

The degree is the main thing you need in China.

It's also useful to have a good speaking voice - if you have a thick Glaswegian accent for example then you might struggle.

It's worth getting a CELTA or something if you want a really well paid gig. Although private tuition is lucrative (if you can find the contacts).
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
BEIJINGSHOTS
Freshman Poster

Post by BEIJINGSHOTS »

Taco wrote:
offthefloor wrote:

China is one of the few countries that never checks your qualifications because they honestly don't care. As long as your white, native english speaker and you have a degree(real or fake), your hired. They don't require a criminal background check either. Its by far the easiest country to get a job teaching english.

About 40% of the foreign english teachers in Korea and Taiwan teach with fake degrees. If they catch you doing this in most countries they will deport you, China is one of the few exceptions.
thats the biggest load of crap ive heard. yes, you can submit fake degrees, but once you start teaching, and do a bad job at it, they will know youre a fraud, and youll get fired. thats if you get a visa in the first place. even if you defraud the school that you teach at, you still have to apply for a visa with the government, and there they will ask you to prove your credentials. taco just sounds like a shill. you can tell from his extremism. just because he got his visa thanks to his cia front companies, doesnt mean everyone can do the same.