Filipinos - The UnChristian Catholics

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I think Filipinos are mostly Hindus in behavior since their pre-colonial history was mainly as part of an India-like cultural sphere with some Chinese influence kicked in.
Then superficial Christianity was imposed upon them by force and they simply covered their Hindu nature with it.
However, not to say that cheating and lying are violations of the Hindu way as well, but again, I have never met an honest Indian, either.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

MrPeabody wrote:I think there is compassion in Catholic countries, maybe more than in protestant countries obsessed with individualism. When I got a flat tire in Mexico after hitting a pothole, some Mexican men came along and put on the spare tire and then just left without asking for anything. Also, women in Catholic countries are more sensual, i.e. French, Italian, Spanish, Latin American, Brazilian, whereas Protestantism tends to kill sensuality. The Catholic Church has always encouraged great art and music. Of course, historically Mexicans were bitter for the Church’s support of the elites over the common people. I am also suspicious that we are not getting the full story because cultural Marxist anthropologists going back to the beginning of the 20th century have been promoting the line that the evil Christian religion abused the Indians and peasants. There is another side the story that the propagandized post 60s generation has never heard.
I agree fully based on my knowledge of Filipinos and Mexicans here. Warmer, dedicated, kind, accepting, family-oriented, loyal.

Yes, and sometimes petty thieves and casual white-liars too.

Some North American Indians were genocidal gangster maniacs before White Man arrived. Torturers, etc. Not always the noble savage. I wish they had all encountered world-conquering Catholics instead of determined, clannish, hardworking Protestants. Results might have been better.