THE KEY to success in Latin America

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Blue Murder wrote:
Jester wrote:
Blue Murder wrote:Hey -- I actually give a damn about other countries. I'm very interested in learning as many languages as I can, and Spanish is one of them.

If I get my passport renewed, and my credit card comes through, I'll be headed to Paraguay for a while.

So I agree with this post 100%!
Order your FBI report ASAP (if you're American) and make an appointment at the PY consulate up here (with passport and birth cert). They can initiate PR process for you, to be compLeted down there with the help of a fixer. Easy PR. Libertarian country. Great 2nd passport.
Could you elaborate a bit, sir? PR? PY? FBI report? What are these strange things you speak of!?
Not trying to be obscure, I just frequent a lot of websites about moving abroad.

PR = Permanent Residency. Means that you have the right to be there, and stay there, without leaving occasionally on "visa runs".

PY = 2-letter suffix for web-domain-names based in Paraguay.

Every country has one. America has .US but we don't use it, since we invented the internet, we just hog up all the .COM names instead.

Personally I think we could all save typing by using these 2-letter codes for countries. Also airports all have 3-letter codes. Pilots use them on their forums. We could do the same.

FBI report is what Americans now have to use when other countries ask you for a "criminal backgriound check" or "police report" or "Interpol report". If you are a paroled axe murderer (umm no offense Blue...) hey no problem, they'll let you visit as a tourist, no background check needed. But if you want to retire there or get a job there, they want to make sure you're not dangerous.

Much as I hate obeying the law, it's one good reason to stay out of trouble till you leave the U.S.
Blue Murder
Junior Poster

Post by Blue Murder »

Jester wrote:Order your FBI report ASAP (if you're American) and make an appointment at the PY consulate up here (with passport and birth cert). They can initiate PR process for you, to be compLeted down there with the help of a fixer. Easy PR. Libertarian country. Great 2nd passport.

Not trying to be obscure, I just frequent a lot of websites about moving abroad.

PR = Permanent Residency. Means that you have the right to be there, and stay there, without leaving occasionally on "visa runs".

PY = 2-letter suffix for web-domain-names based in Paraguay.

Every country has one. America has .US but we don't use it, since we invented the internet, we just hog up all the .COM names instead.

Personally I think we could all save typing by using these 2-letter codes for countries. Also airports all have 3-letter codes. Pilots use them on their forums. We could do the same.

FBI report is what Americans now have to use when other countries ask you for a "criminal backgriound check" or "police report" or "Interpol report". If you are a paroled axe murderer (umm no offense Blue...) hey no problem, they'll let you visit as a tourist, no background check needed. But if you want to retire there or get a job there, they want to make sure you're not dangerous.

Much as I hate obeying the law, it's one good reason to stay out of trouble till you leave the U.S.
PR? Didn't know before.

PY? Didn't know before, but DID/DO know about the country domain codes. Though the US did invent/create the internet, isn't an American website in a foreign country accessed using '.us'? Agreed with how using country codes would save letters, and diminish difficulty -- but it would ALSO limit the amount of domain names in a url one could have. KillThemAll.com may be a different website than KillThemAll.net because of the suffix.

I knew of the three-letter airport codes, though I didn't recognise one in your last post. If I weren't leaving, I'd suggest you and I team-up and create a topic with traveller lingo and shorthand in it.

LOL. Makes sense. Though don't lean on background checks. People dodge the law, shit gets lost in systems, people are wrongfully accused -- the amount of legal permutations is endless. Background checks are (or should be) rudimentary guidelines at BEST. I hate the lay too -- especially obeying it. But for me, the challenge in going to Paraguay is finances. I have no inhibitions about leaving the West -- I just have to find the money to do so. I practise what I preach. Should I win the lottery or come up on some serious dough, I'm GONE.