American dogs vs. Foreign dogs

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

American dogs vs. Foreign dogs

Post by Falcon »

It's not just the people! Has anyone noticed that in most countries outside the U.S., dogs are not as hyperactive and needy?

U.S. dogs are pampered and showered with attention, causing them to become hyperactive, needy creatures. Whenever they see people, they run, chase, lick, climb, all over them, and bark non-stop. Whenever their owners are walking them out on the streets, they keep gravitating towards any stranger human being they see.

Compare dogs in the rural villages of third-world countries. They just sit there and do nothing, and don't go chasing humans for attention. When you walk by them, they don't seem like they would care at all, except for the ones that are meant to be security dogs. Rural Mexican villages are usually full of dogs, but they always quiet, passive, and wait for their owners to feed them leftover food. Occasionally they might bark too, but at a more natural, regular pace that goes well with the sounds of the roosters, chickens, and breeze. It's not that screechy, rapid barking of spoiled pets that drives people nuts.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Absolutely I have noticed this. Dogs really do reflect the culture. American dogs are intolerant, loud, and obnoxious. Mexican dogs are generally mellow but are unpredictable. The world's mellowest dogs have to be Thai dogs for obvious reasons.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

You tend to keep a low profile when someone wants to eat you.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: American dogs vs. Foreign dogs

Post by OutWest »

Falcon wrote:It's not just the people! Has anyone noticed that in most countries outside the U.S., dogs are not as hyperactive and needy?

U.S. dogs are pampered and showered with attention, causing them to become hyperactive, needy creatures. Whenever they see people, they run, chase, lick, climb, all over them, and bark non-stop. Whenever their owners are walking them out on the streets, they keep gravitating towards any stranger human being they see.

Compare dogs in the rural villages of third-world countries. They just sit there and do nothing, and don't go chasing humans for attention. When you walk by them, they don't seem like they would care at all, except for the ones that are meant to be security dogs. Rural Mexican villages are usually full of dogs, but they always quiet, passive, and wait for their owners to feed them leftover food. Occasionally they might bark too, but at a more natural, regular pace that goes well with the sounds of the roosters, chickens, and breeze. It's not that screechy, rapid barking of spoiled pets that drives people nuts.
There is what I would call mental bestiality in the US. Anthropomorphism out of control...totally SICK!

Outwest
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Re: American dogs vs. Foreign dogs

Post by Voice of Reason »

Falcon wrote:It's not just the people! Has anyone noticed that in most countries outside the U.S., dogs are not as hyperactive and needy?

Good call!

Each time I see a dog in the street here I get wary because you can't predict what they will do (just like most women). But when I was in SE Asia the dogs were all placid and pleasant to be around. I felt safe with the dogs there.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

In Mexico the street dogs are skinny and sickly looking. They don't look anything like the pampered well-fed dogs of the US. In Greece they had these big dogs everywhere which appeared to be of the same breed. They would sleep in the middle of the sidewalk and everyone had to walk around them. Also, last week where I live in Mexico, a little old lady lost her cat, and we finally found it in her neighbors yard. It had been eaten alive by the neighbor's dogs. Where does this romantic image of third world dogs come from? More Sillier Abroad stuff?
Ned Zeppelin
Freshman Poster

Post by Ned Zeppelin »

I totally agree. One of the things that bugs me about how people in America treat their pets is they put clothes...on dogs. It is one of the most f***ing stupid ideas on that planet but yet when you walk down the street, half of the dogs will be dressed like a ghetto prostitutes.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

MrPeabody wrote:In Mexico the street dogs are skinny and sickly looking. They don't look anything like the pampered well-fed dogs of the US. In Greece they had these big dogs everywhere which appeared to be of the same breed. They would sleep in the middle of the sidewalk and everyone had to walk around them. Also, last week where I live in Mexico, a little old lady lost her cat, and we finally found it in her neighbors yard. It had been eaten alive by the neighbor's dogs. Where does this romantic image of third world dogs come from? More Sillier Abroad stuff?
Yeah, thanks for pointing out that the other side that I had forgotten to mention. This just shows they are more like what animals are supposed to be like, than pampered spoiled pets. Third-world dogs are more unpredictable, and can be really mean all of a sudden.
Also, last week where I live in Mexico, a little old lady lost her cat, and we finally found it in her neighbors yard. It had been eaten alive by the neighbor's dogs.
American dogs do the same things. Don't forget all the pitbull attacks on random children.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

MrPeabody wrote:You tend to keep a low profile when someone wants to eat you.
:lol:

I am enjoying HA today!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

fschmidt wrote:Absolutely I have noticed this. Dogs really do reflect the culture. American dogs are intolerant, loud, and obnoxious. Mexican dogs are generally mellow but are unpredictable. The world's mellowest dogs have to be Thai dogs for obvious reasons.
Too many possibilities to run with here......

Italian dogs love to steal, but howl along when you play an opera cd...
Dogs from the Caucasus don't bark, just stand around staring at you...
Russian dogs mistreat their bitches...
ExpeditionSailor
Freshman Poster

Post by ExpeditionSailor »

In North America, people behave in nutty ways over their dogs - when they take their dog to the vet, they give the dog's name and their last name, as if the dog were a child or a real member of the family. Or they call their dog their 'boy' or their 'girl', or refer to themselves as the dog's mommy or daddy or the dog's parent or parents.

These people have yet to get it through their addled brains that DOGS ARE NOT PEOPLE, THEY ARE ANIMALS AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH!! But pets are a multi-billion-dollar industry in North America, so this kind of goofy shit is widely encouraged. And hey, almost anything goes in North America, and if this kind of stuff floats their boat, so be it.

Perhaps the most telling thing of all about North Americans is that they get dogs to try to find the love and companionship that they cannot get from people. Or they admit that they feel the only thing they can trust is their pet. No wonder, really. In North America, people often treat each other like shit, and they wonder why an animal is all they can depend on?

I'm not slagging dog owners here. I like dogs and wouldn't mind having one myself. Dogs can be a lot of fun and companionable to a point. I'm just taking issue with the stupid behaviours that some pet owners engage in, and how sick North American society can be.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ExpeditionSailor wrote:In North America, people behave in nutty ways over their dogs - when they take their dog to the vet, they give the dog's name and their last name, as if the dog were a child or a real member of the family. Or they call their dog their 'boy' or their 'girl', or refer to themselves as the dog's mommy or daddy or the dog's parent or parents.

These people have yet to get it through their addled brains that DOGS ARE NOT PEOPLE, THEY ARE ANIMALS AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH!! But pets are a multi-billion-dollar industry in North America, so this kind of goofy shit is widely encouraged. And hey, almost anything goes in North America, and if this kind of stuff floats their boat, so be it.

Perhaps the most telling thing of all about North Americans is that they get dogs to try to find the love and companionship that they cannot get from people. Or they admit that they feel the only thing they can trust is their pet. No wonder, really. In North America, people often treat each other like shit, and they wonder why an animal is all they can depend on?

I'm not slagging dog owners here. I like dogs and wouldn't mind having one myself. Dogs can be a lot of fun and companionable to a point. I'm just taking issue with the stupid behaviours that some pet owners engage in, and how sick North American society can be.
Truth that hurts.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

I've thought about this too. I've heard a theory that domestication is essentially preventing an animal from growing up, keeping it in perpetual childhood, much like most Americans are now not maturing into adults. So while a wolf would become an adult, a dog stays at the human equivalent of age 2-3. And children are naturally more needy and playful.

Maybe because the situation demands it, dogs abroad are more mature. Americans treat their pets like they have mental disabilities, so in turn the dogs behave like fools.

Also dogs are getting the same tainted food and chemically-laced water as Americans are. Most lack exercise and are exposed to all sorts of unnatural things around them like plastic and wi-fi/cell phone radiation, which can cause abnormal behavior.

And speaking of neurotic behavior, maybe they are sex starved just like their owners! People abroad don't normally neuter their pets, let alone pay $400 or more for the privilege. At the very least dogs who aren't as sheltered and get regular interaction with packs of other dogs seem a lot more balanced.

Dogboy86
Freshman Poster

Post by Dogboy86 »

There is a reason u.s. law enforcement uses dogs from the Czech Republic and places like that. They are bread for temperament and working traits not a look. When I worked my service dogs in demos and at trials so many people wanted there dog to do what I spent months training but many are not willing to treat an animal as a tool or a means to an end to accomplish this...
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"!!!