How to save a ton of Money on Airline Tickets

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
goodfellas1990
Freshman Poster

How to save a ton of Money on Airline Tickets

Post by goodfellas1990 »

Whats up guys. So, I'm going to make a trip to Cagayan De Oro in September, a small province in the Philippines, and I went online to find a ticket from Lexington, KY to Cagayan and the cheapest I could find was around $1,200 USD.

For me, that was a little high and all I have right now to my name is $950. It's just a one way ticket because I plan on staying for up to a year, so I was like damn, what can I do to make this cheaper. This seems really high for a one way ticket.

I saw ads promoting flights to Manila for like $700 and I'm like Manila is so close to Cagayan, why am I paying almost $500 more? So, guess what I did! I booked a flight to Manilla for $838 (after taxes and fees) and then booked a flight from Manila to CDO and my total cost was less than $900! Woot Woot! I just saved $300! I guess its cheaper to fly to Manilla and then by a ticket from there to where you want to go! My ticket from Manila to CDO was only $78 USD, $35 USD for the ticket and then $43 in fees.

Also, if your like me and need a visa! I found the best way to get a visa through another company that really simplifies the process. Check out http://www.travelvisapro.com/ I was looking at the consulate of DC's website and it was very confusing for me and I didn't quite understand the process. I think this company charges like $50 USD on top of what the Consulate charges ($60 USD) for the service the provide and they take care of everything for you.
I'm a 22 year old Entrepreneur moving to the Philippines in September. I want to swim in aqua blue water, live like a boss, and be surrounded by beautiful girls.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

What's up? That's a great way to travel around the philippines and elsewhere, thanks for the tip/link! :D
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How to save a ton of Money on Airline Tickets

Post by Taco »

goodfellas1990 wrote:Whats up guys. So, I'm going to make a trip to Cagayan De Oro in September, a small province in the Philippines, and I went online to find a ticket from Lexington, KY to Cagayan and the cheapest I could find was around $1,200 USD.

For me, that was a little high and all I have right now to my name is $950. It's just a one way ticket because I plan on staying for up to a year, so I was like damn, what can I do to make this cheaper. This seems really high for a one way ticket.

I saw ads promoting flights to Manila for like $700 and I'm like Manila is so close to Cagayan, why am I paying almost $500 more? So, guess what I did! I booked a flight to Manilla for $838 (after taxes and fees) and then booked a flight from Manila to CDO and my total cost was less than $900! Woot Woot! I just saved $300! I guess its cheaper to fly to Manilla and then by a ticket from there to where you want to go! My ticket from Manila to CDO was only $78 USD, $35 USD for the ticket and then $43 in fees.

Also, if your like me and need a visa! I found the best way to get a visa through another company that really simplifies the process. Check out http://www.travelvisapro.com/ I was looking at the consulate of DC's website and it was very confusing for me and I didn't quite understand the process. I think this company charges like $50 USD on top of what the Consulate charges ($60 USD) for the service the provide and they take care of everything for you.
You can't get a one way ticket to the Philippines, you need to have a departing flight out of the country by law. You can book a flight from Manilla to Hong Kong for about $140, that's your best option. You can stay in Hong Kong for 90 days without a visa if your from North America. You can stay in the Philippines for 21 days without a visa before your 21 days are up you have to apply for a visa extension. Before you get your visa extension you need to change your flight with your airline back one year from your arrival date(immigration will want to see it). The cost to have your flight changed is 56 pesos with Philippine airlines. If the airline rep. tells you the cost to change your flight is $200(this happened to me) there lying to you! Ask to talk to the manager and report the lying airline employee immediately. I wish you luck.
goodfellas1990
Freshman Poster

Post by goodfellas1990 »

Taco wrote:
goodfellas1990 wrote:Whats up guys. So, I'm going to make a trip to Cagayan De Oro in September, a small province in the Philippines, and I went online to find a ticket from Lexington, KY to Cagayan and the cheapest I could find was around $1,200 USD.

You can't get a one way ticket to the Philippines, you need to have a departing flight out of the country by law. You can book a flight from Manilla to Hong Kong for about $140, that's your best option. You can stay in Hong Kong for 90 days without a visa if your from North America. You can stay in the Philippines for 21 days without a visa before your 21 days are up you have to apply for a visa extension. Before you get your visa extension you need to change your flight with your airline back one year from your arrival date(immigration will want to see it). The cost to have your flight changed is 56 pesos with Philippine airlines. If the airline rep. tells you the cost to change your flight is $200(this happened to me) there lying to you! Ask to talk to the manager and report the lying airline employee immediately. I wish you luck.
I spoke to the people at travel visa pro and they said I only need a one way ticket.
I'm a 22 year old Entrepreneur moving to the Philippines in September. I want to swim in aqua blue water, live like a boss, and be surrounded by beautiful girls.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

goodfellas1990 wrote:
Taco wrote:

I spoke to the people at travel visa pro and they said I only need a one way ticket.
If Immigraton decides to check your ticket you could have a problem.

One Way Ticket To The Philippines?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 709AADRViB
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Post by Jacaré »

Goodfellas,
That's indeed the best way to travel. I've been doing it for ages whenever I travel is to get the international flight to the main international hub of the country, then get cheap internal flights with local carriers. I'm happy you discovered that...lol
Btw, from which site did you book your ticket to Manila for 838? That's cheap! I'm planning on going there in Aug and the cheapest I see is 1500 (mind you I'm in Canada) but still....
goodfellas1990
Freshman Poster

Post by goodfellas1990 »

Jacaré wrote:Goodfellas,
That's indeed the best way to travel. I've been doing it for ages whenever I travel is to get the international flight to the main international hub of the country, then get cheap internal flights with local carriers. I'm happy you discovered that...lol
Btw, from which site did you book your ticket to Manila for 838? That's cheap! I'm planning on going there in Aug and the cheapest I see is 1500 (mind you I'm in Canada) but still....
CheapOair.com from the US. Lexington, KY in fact. And thanks man.
goodfellas1990
Freshman Poster

Post by goodfellas1990 »

Taco -

TravelVisasPro.com I guess is making a reserve itinerary for me that they will immediately cancel so I can buy my return ticket anytime.