Really? English teaching for whites only in China?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

When East Asian parents send their kid to a cram school to learn English, it's not just the language but also the exposure to a "foreign" person. Back when I was young and living in rural part of Taiwan, whenever foreign Priests or missionary arrived, we'd point and chase them around until they gave us candy. Obviously I think the parents would prefer if their kids behaved better than that around foreigners.

I have a few friends fron the US who went to East Asia to teach English. The general impression that I get from them is that the schools would prefer if you're white and not too old, preferably in your 20's to early 30's. I was also told by my friends that after interacting with the other English teachers in TW, they think only 1/3 can actually teach, 1/3 are mediocre at best, and the other 1/3 are useless and should be deported.

There's also a negative stereotype for Asian immigrants (or their 1.5 gen children) who return to East Asia to teach English -- they think the kid doesn't have any other useful work skills, or couldn't hack it overseas, so they came back and resort to teaching English as a last resort. A 1.5 gen Taiwanese who returns to TW to work for HP as a engineer would get more respect.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

newlife
Freshman Poster

Post by newlife »

Please. If I ran a Chinese restaurant I would want Chinese staff, not blacks or whities.

It's an appearance thing.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

newlife wrote:Please. If I ran a Chinese restaurant I would want Chinese staff, not blacks or whities.

It's an appearance thing.
What if those Blacks and Whites could cook their ass off making newly innovative version of Chinese food that even the Chinese may be put off at first, but come around quick enough for a decent ROI profit for your business??

See, you still in that carpal-tunnel-vision of a myopic charlatan; you are wanting to be the best and successful having a monopoly in your line of business, but you have mental handicaps that make you see transparently in black and white colors as if you had vision of a dog.

I'm ashamed of you, dog, (no pun intended). You usually have more ingenious points than that one.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!