Why are white guys in Taiwan so feminine, soft and passive?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Why are white guys in Taiwan so feminine, soft and passive?

Post by Winston »

I have a question. Why are many white guys in Taiwan so feminine, soft-spoken, passive, and have that gay ass innocent expression on their face? Is it their way of conforming to Taiwan culture, or does Taiwan attract those types of white guys?

They are strange because in America, I never see such white guys like the ones I see in Taiwan.

Anyone notice this too?

Believe it or not, even though I'm Asian, I act a lot more white than many white guys in Taiwan do. Is that crazy or what? lol I'm much more open, relaxed, assertive, upfront and direct than the typical Taiwanese personality. I often feel like I stick out like a sore thumb in Taiwan.

Here is an example of the kind of white guy in Taiwan that I'm talking about, from a dating site profile:

http://taiwanhov2.worldfriends.tv/publi ... Id=1607589

Last edited by Winston on July 2nd, 2012, 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Dogboy86
Freshman Poster

Post by Dogboy86 »

That guy is Eurasian at best. The metro sexual look and act many guys have bought into is sweeping the globe. Many women world wide want a more "feminine" man...
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"!!!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Dogboy86 wrote:That guy is Eurasian at best. The metro sexual look and act many guys have bought into is sweeping the globe. Many women world wide want a more "feminine" man...
Maybe, but the expression and personality on his face is common of white guys in Taiwan - that passive soft look that is nonconfrontational and is more Oriental than White. Really weird. Even I act more white than they do. lol

Is there something about Taiwan that attracts those type of white guys?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Dogboy86
Freshman Poster

Post by Dogboy86 »

Being my size I am a threatening male even in the best of circumstances. I would not or could not pull off the "just took a ruffy look". I think its a reaction from men to present a non threatening appearance in hopes of being approached by women that would shy away from them other wise. Remember women may fake orgasims but some guys have faked entire relationships for sex...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Is that what you call it? "Just took a ruffy look"? lol. I've never heard that expression before. What does it mean?

It's a bit hard to describe what I mean, but I think you get the idea.

Dogboy86
Freshman Poster

Post by Dogboy86 »

A ruffy is a nickname for a date rape brug called rohypnoled.

I know what your saying and see it every day here in the states too. Guys that feminize and dumb them selves down to land girls they shouldn't want in the first place.
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Post by ryanx »

In his profile he says his ethnicity is Chinese....and he looks Asian. The funny part is where he says "wish I can find my Miss.Right here if I am lucky enough" This is the kind of thing a woman would say.lol. I gave up on Miss Right such a long time ago...since then I have had so many Miss Right Nows!
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

The metrosexual look is really popular in asia. Buff guidos or body builder types with orange skin and tatts just look scary to the vast majority of real asian women unless they are hookers. I notice very european men with european attitudes and typical effeminate european looks tend to do fairly well in SE Asia.

Winston you may act "white" but it's borne out of an identity crisis since you look far from having the sort of masculinity to carry that productively. Unless you want to be considered an asian Tom Arnold or something.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why are white guys in Taiwan so feminine, soft and passi

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:I have a question. Why are many white guys in Taiwan so feminine, soft, passive, and have that gay ass innocent expression on their face? Is it their way of conforming to Taiwan culture, or does Taiwan attract those types of white guys?
I think you're onto something. I used to do martial arts, and in the old days, before MMA, martial arts had a large number of geeks, some of whom became deeply immersed in the philosophy of the martial art and in that particular culture. Brilliant, thin guys usually.

And on expat forums, like ThaiVisa or whatever, there are always White guys who have gone native, speak the language, and believe they are Thai inside - and dislike other expats. Knew a guy like this, who had moved there and spoke fluent Thai, but after a coupleof years was sorely disappointed that Thais didn't accept him. And he was skinny, metrosexual, a professional healer.

Very interesting - IMO this is part of a larger topic - how do expats vary from place to place?

Impressions I currently have only from internet, not personal knowledge:
Japan - White guys whose souls scream to be Japanese
Philippines - older White combat vets from "red states" who enjoy motorcycles and boats
Costa Rica - highly educated organic-food-eating White couples with kids whom they are homeschooling. The wife is a writer.
Nicaragua - rich liberal Whites from U.S. and Europe
Mexico - retired Republicans
Bangkok - whoremongering English teachers from the U.K.
Phuket - Thuggish Russians

An yone have some other impressions?

For me it's actually an important topic. Life isn't only about sex and romance. It's about social life and community too. So who the other expats are is a factor, just like women, residency issues, weather etc.
patrick
Freshman Poster

Post by patrick »

Good post, allthough this guy in the picture is not White but i know what you mean. Have been thinking about this before as well.

Every country attracts a certain kind of people and i think East Asia attracts the most feminine ones. East Asia is safe, has some refined culture, polite people which are all aspects women like, and feminine men.

People who've got a choice go to countries which matches their personality best.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Repatriate wrote:The metrosexual look is really popular in asia. Buff guidos or body builder types with orange skin and tatts just look scary to the vast majority of real asian women unless they are hookers. I notice very european men with european attitudes and typical effeminate european looks tend to do fairly well in SE Asia.

Winston you may act "white" but it's borne out of an identity crisis since you look far from having the sort of masculinity to carry that productively. Unless you want to be considered an asian Tom Arnold or something.
Yeah I know, but I'm not talking about that metrosexual look, though it may overlap. I'm talking about that unnaturally gay ass innocent look that is common in Taiwan. You've spent time in Taiwan right? If so, you must know the expression that I'm talking about. The weird thing is, it's common on a lot of white guys here too.

Where did it come from? I'm not referring to SE Asia. I'm referring to Taiwan and NE Asia.

The white guys that have that unnaturally innocent look act like they have no backbone and speak very slowly. It's hard to have a conversation with them because their voice is so slow and soft. Not articulate at all. It's like they are Asian and I am white. I feel like an American talking to a shy Oriental, even though they are white and I am asian. Is that odd or what? lol So bizarre. lol

Do you know what I'm talking about? You've met white guys like that too right? They aren't usually found in SE Asia, mostly in Taiwan or Japan.

Rock is mellow and soft spoken too, but he doesn't have that gay ass innocent look in his eyes, so I would say he is maybe somewhere in between. Plus he is talkative and makes a lot of observations, which isn't very Taiwanese. So he is Taiwanese in some ways but not others.

Question: Were these white guys with soft passive quiet Taiwanese personalities like that before they came to Taiwan? Or did they become that way while conforming to Taiwanese culture? Their face also has Taiwanese mannerisms, with that innocent look and bowing and all.

I've never had that look. I'm too outspoken and direct. But I feel pressure here constantly to act super innocent and passive, as if I'm expected to be pure with no desires. So I constantly feel this "energy" around me that's trying to repress me. It's hard to explain. But I really hate it and it makes me feel uncomfortable. I simply CAN'T be myself in Taiwan, LITERALLY!

I'm too outspoken, articulate, direct and upfront. I think that turns off a lot of people, in Taiwan and America, esp young people. I don't know why. Older people seem more tolerant and open minded. Isn't that odd? Isn't it supposed to be the opposite?

I may not be that masculine, true. But at least I don't have that gay ass innocent look, or that quiet passive soft-spoken slow voice that these white guys here have. Ick. Thank goodness. It's very unnatural and gay. At least I'm down to earth, sincere, authentic and real. I don't BS or act overly polite or unnaturally innocent. You guys like that right?

There are many types of white guys in the world. Even Ladislav said that my soul and personality is more like a "European existentialist" type, not a redneck white guy type of course. I act more like those white intellectual types, like those astronomers and astrophysicists that you see on PBS and the History Channel are. Is that bad to you Repatriate?

I would say that I'm more like the introspective deep type of white guy that likes quiet, peace and nature. Kind of like Kevin Costner's character John Dunbar in Dances with Wolves. If you remember, he was very introspective and introverted, with deep thoughts, observations, and was adventurous in venturing into new frontiers. He was also at home in quiet nature. He was like an intellectual white guy type, not like those redneck white guy types in his Union cavalry. He was also very down to earth, authentic, and never acted fake. That's more of the type of white guy that I am like.

Is there anything wrong with that Repatriate? Isn't Costner's character in Dances with Wolves a good character to be like?
Last edited by Winston on July 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

patrick wrote:Good post, allthough this guy in the picture is not White but i know what you mean. Have been thinking about this before as well.

Every country attracts a certain kind of people and i think East Asia attracts the most feminine ones. East Asia is safe, has some refined culture, polite people which are all aspects women like, and feminine men.

People who've got a choice go to countries which matches their personality best.
That's a very logical observation. I guess my personality doesn't fit in Taiwan at all then. I don't feel like I can be myself at all. I feel I constantly have to repress myself because the person I really am doesn't fit in and is an "inappropriate" personality type for Taiwan character. It's hard to explain what I mean, but that's the best way I can put it.

So you've been to East Asia before and noticed the same thing? You have to come here to see what I mean.

Wouldn't it also be logical to conclude that if you don't "fit in" with the culture you are in, that it makes you less attractive to women too? I mean, perhaps women can sense that you don't fit in and therefore are turned off by that? It can't be all about looks since even ugly guys get girls in Taiwan, and some handsome guys (like that German guy I met) also feel alienated in Taiwan since their personality is too different from the norm in Taiwan.

Likewise, if you don't fit in with American culture, it may also make you less attractive to girls there too. Anyone notice that? Is that a logical conclusion?

Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Winston wrote:
The white guys that have that unnaturally innocent look act like they have no backbone and speak very slowly. It's hard to have a conversation with them because their voice is so slow and soft. Not articulate at all. It's like they are Asian and I am white. I feel like an American talking to a shy Oriental, even though they are white and I am asian. Is that odd or what? lol So bizarre. lol
I know what you are talking about and i've seen it before. They commonly act all passive-aggressive too and speak in soft voices and generally act like weaboos. You can find guys like this in the U.S. too they are usually playing RPGs and in anime clubs. I bet Momopi knows some types like this in his hobby circles.
I'm too outspoken, articulate, direct and upfront. I think that turns off a lot of people, in Taiwan and America, esp young people. I don't know why. Older people seem more tolerant and open minded. Isn't that odd? Isn't it supposed to be the opposite?
Younger people are more cliquish, P.C., and paranoid about what others think of them and or the people they are socializing with that's why. You're in your late 30's you're not really part of their social environment anymore. You literally are the belligerent old guy to these young people.
I may not be that masculine, true. But at least I don't have that gay ass innocent look, or that quiet passive soft-spoken slow voice that these white guys here have. Ick. Thank goodness. It's very unnatural and gay. At least I'm down to earth, sincere, authentic and real. I don't BS or act overly polite or unnaturally innocent. You guys like that right?
I will agree with you here. I much prefer your general frank personality rather than the passive-aggressive types. You're pretty duplicitous in your own way though Winston. So I don't think comparing yourself to some mythical Hollywood character is any good. Plus Costner is a scumbag in real life.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Repatriate wrote:
Winston wrote:
I know what you are talking about and i've seen it before. They commonly act all passive-aggressive too and speak in soft voices and generally act like weaboos. You can find guys like this in the U.S. too they are usually playing RPGs and in anime clubs. I bet Momopi knows some types like this in his hobby circles.
Younger people are more cliquish, P.C., and paranoid about what others think of them and or the people they are socializing with that's why. You're in your late 30's you're not really part of their social environment anymore. You literally are the belligerent old guy to these young people.
I will agree with you here. I much prefer your general frank personality rather than the passive-aggressive types. You're pretty duplicitous in your own way though Winston. So I don't think comparing yourself to some mythical Hollywood character is any good. Plus Costner is a scumbag in real life.
Passive aggressive weeboos? That's a funny but way to put it. lol. You are very colorful in your vocabulary. lol. But why are those types attracted to Taiwan and Japan though?

It's not about my age. Even when I was in my 20's, I didn't resonate with young people. I was never cliquish, paranoid or PC. Older people have always been more tolerant and open minded and seemed to understand deep things better, unless they were too old fashioned. They seem better able to have deep conversations for some reason, probably because they've experienced more of life and have gained some wisdom and insight, and seen all the BS in the world, so they can relate to my deep observations.

But yeah, even though I'm in my late 30's, I still act childish and young, as though I live for adventure and refuse to grow up. lol. So in a sense, I'm like a blend of an older wiser guy coupled with a childish spoiled brat who doesn't want to grow up. lol Isn't that an unusual eclectic? lol

Why do you say that I'm duplicitous? I looked up that word and the online dictionary said:
du·plic·i·tous (d-pls-ts, dy-)
adj.
Given to or marked by deliberate deceptiveness in behavior or speech.
How am I deceptive? I've never BSed anyone.

Well it is true. My spirit and personality traits are similar to John Dunbar in Dances with Wolves, at least semi. We all like to compare ourselves with good characters to portray ourselves in the most positive light. Don't we? I don't hear you bashing yourself or portraying yourself in a negative light.

How do you know Costner is a scumbag in real life? The media often lies and portrays the worst about everything. Tabloids are not a reliable source either.

Costner is not a dramatic actor, but he acts authentic and down to earth at least.

Sometimes I'm very expressive, like the characters you see in American movies. It's too bad not many people are like that in real life, even in America. Most people are quiet and keep to themselves and are more private than the expressive characters you see in standard Hollywood movies.

Btw, how come in movies young people are portrayed as more adventurous and open minded, and older people as more rigid, old fashioned, and closed minded? But in real life, older people are more tolerant and open minded with me, and tend to enjoy deep conversations with me? They've realized the BS of society and of the system, so they are more open minded about conspiracies, propaganda, government lies, spirituality, paranormal experiences, etc. Isn't it odd that movies portray the opposite?

Also, have you noticed that in movies, people always make eye contact with others, but in real life, they don't unless they know you?

Btw Repatriate, since you are brutally honest and cynical, not soft spoken or innocent, I think it is obvious that YOU too would NOT fit into Taiwan, personality-wise. You do realize that right?

patrick
Freshman Poster

Post by patrick »

Winston wrote:
patrick wrote:Good post, allthough this guy in the picture is not White but i know what you mean. Have been thinking about this before as well.

That's a very logical observation. I guess my personality doesn't fit in Taiwan at all then. I don't feel like I can be myself at all. I feel I constantly have to repress myself because the person I really am doesn't fit in and is an "inappropriate" personality type for Taiwan character. It's hard to explain what I mean, but that's the best way I can put it.

So you've been to East Asia before and noticed the same thing? You have to come here to see what I mean.

Wouldn't it also be logical to conclude that if you don't "fit in" with the culture you are in, that it makes you less attractive to women too? I mean, perhaps women can sense that you don't fit in and therefore are turned off by that? It can't be all about looks since even ugly guys get girls in Taiwan, and some handsome guys (like that German guy I met) also feel alienated in Taiwan since their personality is too different from the norm in Taiwan.

Likewise, if you don't fit in with American culture, it may also make you less attractive to girls there too. Anyone notice that? Is that a logical conclusion?
Lots of East Asians are oppressed and completely under control of their parents and peers or the strict culture.
Life there is just about study, find some random woman, or your parents find one for you, marry, have kids. And all that before you're 25-30. Life is not about fun, like you want to live it. Life is dead serious and is mostly about continuing the family name or getting kids that take care of you when you're old.

I know what you mean even though i've never been to Taiwan. All East Asian countries share sort of the same culture.

Most girls like to have normal stable lives with mainstream partners. It's like that in every country, people like to be the same. Especially in group cultures like Taiwan. If you don't fit the standard criteria your datingpool is ofcourse smaller.

About feminine white guys in Taiwan. It's probably the more feminine guys who see aspects in Taiwanese culture they like hence go there to live. Taiwanese culture probably also contributes a lot in making them a lot more feminine. I doubt they would be behaving the same if they were strolling around some Russian city at night :lol:

Check this video, it was very popular a few years ago. You might know it. Listen to what mama say's. Ok, he's talking to a little boy in the video but it shows the value which is given to being a mamma boy :wink: