My experience in Singapore

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

My experience in Singapore

Post by Voice of Reason »

I am traveling around SE Asia at the moment, and I will tell you what I find it to be like in various countries. My first country is Singapore. For financial reasons, I was only able to spend a week here, so my observations may not be entirely accurate.

Singapore
Singapore is a consumerists paradise. The whole country is like one huge shopping mall with advertising in your face everywhere. The social disconnection seems to be pretty similar to that of western society…people don't usually talk to people they don't know.

Singaporean Women
As expected, it was pretty hard to meet women here. Like western women, they are not very flirty. They seem to have NO interest in meeting foreigners. I have also heard they they are extremely materialistic. Many of the men I saw them with were normal looking men…I'm not sure if they had a high social status or not.

Having said that, I still think Singaporean women are better than most western women for the following reasons:

- Not a huge number of them were obese
- They were more feminine
- I didn't see any drunk and disorderly behaviour from them
- I didn't see many of them dressed like whores, like I do in the west

Things I wasn't sure about:

Narcicissism - i wasn't able to decide whether Singaporean women were more narcissistic than western women. I needed more time to make a decision.

Feminism - I believe feminism has reared it's ugly head in Singapore, but I'm not sure of the extent. Again, I didn't spend enough time here.

Racial Issues
Singapore has a wide mixture of different races and religions, but while I was there I did not feel any racial tension. There are no indigenous groups like in Australia that cause racial tension, and no equivalent groups to African-Americans. Nor did their seem to be a group similar to the white supremacists.

This means there would be no such groups as the Aryan Brotherhood running around, nor would there be people like Outsideofthebox and Maker55 to cause racial trouble.

Conclusion
Singapore is expensive, not very interesting, and women are hard to meet. There are better places in Southeast Asia. Having said that, I would rather live here than in the west.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: My experience in Singapore

Post by zboy1 »

Voice of Reason wrote:I am traveling around SE Asia at the moment, and I will tell you what I find it to be like in various countries. My first country is Singapore. For financial reasons, I was only able to spend a week here, so my observations may not be entirely accurate.

Singapore
Singapore is a consumerists paradise. The whole country is like one huge shopping mall with advertising in your face everywhere. The social disconnection seems to be pretty similar to that of western society…people don't usually talk to people they don't know.

Singaporean Women
As expected, it was pretty hard to meet women here. Like western women, they are not very flirty. They seem to have NO interest in meeting foreigners. I have also heard they they are extremely materialistic. Many of the men I saw them with were normal looking men…I'm not sure if they had a high social status or not.

Having said that, I still think Singaporean women are better than most western women for the following reasons:

- Not a huge number of them were obese
- They were more feminine
- I didn't see any drunk and disorderly behaviour from them
- I didn't see many of them dressed like whores, like I do in the west

Things I wasn't sure about:

Narcicissism - i wasn't able to decide whether Singaporean women were more narcissistic than western women. I needed more time to make a decision.

Feminism - I believe feminism has reared it's ugly head in Singapore, but I'm not sure of the extent. Again, I didn't spend enough time here.

Racial Issues
Singapore has a wide mixture of different races and religions, but while I was there I did not feel any racial tension. There are no indigenous groups like in Australia that cause racial tension, and no equivalent groups to African-Americans. Nor did their seem to be a group similar to the white supremacists.

This means there would be no such groups as the Aryan Brotherhood running around, nor would there be people like Outsideofthebox and Maker55 to cause racial trouble.

Conclusion
Singapore is expensive, not very interesting, and women are hard to meet. There are better places in Southeast Asia. Having said that, I would rather live here than in the west.
Singapore is a very Western country in Asia: it's also very rich and advanced, therefore don't expect the women to be as friendly and nice as in the Philippines or Thailand. I've been told Singaporeans are kind of snooty and materialistic--just like Westerners, so no surprise there. Singapore is a nice place to live, though, if you have the money. Otherwise, it's like living in a Western country; the more Western a country is, the more feminist and bitchy the women tend to be...

It's interesting that you mention of the harmonious race relations in Singapore: I wish race relations were like that in the U.S. and other Anglo nations, but that will never happen because there's just too much individualism and competition going on between the races in other multicultural countries.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Your experience mirrored my own. Western men seemed to have little to no chance with Singaporean women and most of these men seemed to spend their time at Orchird Towers, a high rise building full of bars and strip clubs. The girls who worked there were all Thai, Vietnamese, or Cambodian, but no local girls.

Speaking of racial issues, these third country Asians seemed to be the outgroup relegated to prostitution and low status.

I liked the food, shopping, and posh hotels there, but I would never want to go back to Singapore given its lack of social connectiveness.
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

Look guys Singapore is without doubt the most westernized Asian country and has the highest GDP per capita in all of Asia.

There is only one measure of value this entire country and it is wealth. Like most women of oriental descent, Chinese women in Singapore are generally slim, although I would say that due to the prevalence of fast-food and too much time spent stationary in office cubicles, there is an increasing number of slightly plump/overweight women as well, compared to countries such as China.

Singapore seems to have taken up all the negative aspects of American culture. Go to any club and talk to the girls - you'll notice they kinda try to imitate bits and pieces of American English - frequent use of phrases like 'oh my god' and 'like..like..' for instance. There is also an annoyingly increasing metrosexual culture about the place, with the men becoming increasingly as bitchy as the women.

Singaporean women are extremely materialistic and standards of wealth are extremely high. Due to the property boom over the last 20 years, 1 in 4 Singaporeans comes from a family with a net worth of at least 1 million dollars USD - you're basically not considered wealthy here unless you're a multi-multi-millionaire. The country is so small that 'mere millonaires' can only afford to live in tiny apartments.

Singaporeans also combine some of the worst traits of both Asian culture and degenerate American 'sex in the city' culture. There is nothing to shield Singaporeans from their obsessive worship of material culture - they lack philosophical perspective and soul, and the ability to think critically, which stems from a culture of misplaced Asian unquestioning trust in authority.

Trusting those with authority, in other words, those wiser and elder than you, works when you live in a close-knit personal community, but in mass society this misplaced trust is often used to manipulate the masses.

I would say the women-situation in Singapore is better than in America, if only because there is a higher proportion of better looking women than in America, but that is the case with all oriental Asian countries anyway, since obesity levels are nowhere near America.

But if you're looking for a pure Asian girl who still possesses the genuine traditional qualities that make many Asian women such good long-term partners and wives, if you're looking for that Asian authenticity and soul, Singapore is most certainly not the place to be at all.

Singaporeans watch way too many hollywood movies and American reality tv shows that its women have developed their own brand of 'American-female-bitchiness' and there tends to be a lot tension and politics in social relations, just like you see in the reality tv shows.

Honestly if you're sick and tired of America and are willing to go all the way to Asia, why would you choose the Asian country that is the most westernized/Americanized of all?
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

ethan_sg wrote:Look guys Singapore is without doubt the most westernized Asian country and has the highest GDP per capita in all of Asia.
.............Singapore is most certainly not the place to be at all.

Singaporeans watch way too many hollywood movies and American reality tv shows that its women have developed their own brand of 'American-female-bitchiness' and there tends to be a lot tension and politics in social relations, just like you see in the reality tv shows.

Honestly if you're sick and tired of America and are willing to go all the way to Asia, why would you choose the Asian country that is the most westernized/Americanized of all?
You can only bring a horse to the well so many times. #TeamSG = fail!
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_C%27s_of_Singapore

If a man in SG cannot find wife locally, he has access to several nearby SE Asian countries.

I've been told that SG men could keep a mistress in Malaysia for as little as RM 2,000/mo + cost of upkeep (apartment, utilities, etc). Those living in the area can probably verify this claim.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

momopi wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_C%27s_of_Singapore

If a man in SG cannot find wife locally, he has access to several nearby SE Asian countries.

I've been told that SG men could keep a mistress in Malaysia for as little as RM 2,000/mo + cost of upkeep (apartment, utilities, etc). Those living in the area can probably verify this claim.
Interesting thought for those of a polygamist persuasion.
Teamsatan
Freshman Poster

Post by Teamsatan »

Been to Singapore many times....They are the most materialistic people i have ever met...male and female.

Its all about showing off....car, jewellery, house.. Career.. all show.

The women dont like white men as a rule ...sure you may find the occasional exception but its rare and you would have to be introduced by a powerful local to have a hope.
All the local business men have a mistress for sexual purposes...usually in a neighbouring country.

Orchard towers is a dump unless you have large cash....a dumpy filipina asked me for $600 for a night ...I laughed and told her for that money i could get to Pattaya and have 2 girls for less than that within 2 hours.

There are guys that have the cash ...and they take anything at these massive prices.

Why is it the little indian IT geeks love taking out the huge ladyboys ..so many did that at orchard.
Did meet some outstanding Russian girls there only a $1000 a night...but I have had better women in my youth so these days its about performance and fun for me , so no to these beautiful predators.

Geylang has cheaper options for hoe's but its mediocre compared to LOS.

Singapore is ok for a look at once and then dont bother again.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Singapore isn't that bad guys. Women there actually made eye contact and some even smiled. They didn't act like total bitches if I was at the door first and opened it or vice versa. I just didn't perceive this extreme chill or confrontational attitude that you get with american women. I do agree there's really no point in chasing one for marriage or something but it's nearly as bad as it is in the u.s.
Voice of Reason
Junior Poster

Post by Voice of Reason »

Repatriate wrote:Singapore isn't that bad guys. Women there actually made eye contact and some even smiled. They didn't act like total bitches if I was at the door first and opened it or vice versa. I just didn't perceive this extreme chill or confrontational attitude that you get with american women. I do agree there's really no point in chasing one for marriage or something but it's nearly as bad as it is in the u.s.
Totally agreed (though, I guess that makes no difference now that you've left the forum).

The women there were not anywhere near as bad as those in western society. They were most definitely more feminine and pleasant.

But there are better places in Asia to look.
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

When I was in singapore I was in the military at the time. This was in 2007. The women just where isolated to me. I never tried approaching them. Though they where very relaxed with me around them. I did not approach because I was to into the environment.

It was incredibly beautiful environment. Kinda like Hawaii.

Next time I will see for myself if the women are easy to meet or date.

Hmmm..... 1 million dollar networth for 1 out of every 4 Singapore honey bunny. Damn. I must have been surrounded by millionaires.
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

1 in 4 families, not individuals. For instance my parents are millionaires, it doesn't make me a millionaire. But I have a sister who enjoyed the benefits of growing up under parents who are millionaires, and like many Singaporean women she would have those same expectations in a husband as well. How does that sound? :shock:

If you were in military base outside the center of the city, naturally you wouldn't have been around as many wealthy people. In the heart of the city, every private condominium is worth millions of dollars. There are bungalows in Singapore that go for at least 20 million dollars a piece.

If you go to Orchard Road or Marina Bay Sands for instance, anyone who owns an apartment in those areas is easily a multimillionaire.

Many super-rich people around the world have migrated to S'pore to enjoy its wealth-friendly policies.

Having said that, there are many good looking women in Singapore unlike overweight America so simply by law of demand and supply, you stand a decent chance of getting a reasonably good looking woman simply because there are so many of them.

But many of them have very western, individualistic, materialistic values now, they're basically very spoiled and self-entitled, so the question is whether you want this sort of woman for a long term partner (and the risks and instability it brings) in a country where the divorce laws are also very favorable towards women, or whether you're looking for a more traditional, conservative, feminine, non-westernized Asian woman found in less developed and less westernized Asian countries. I know my answer to that.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I've read that 85% of Singapore's population lives in HDB flats. Do you think there is a significant percentage of HDB flat residents who are actually millionaires?

Also, by "millionaire" I suspect there's a disconnect between folks who thinks $1,000,000 SGD vs. USD. Back when I used to travel to SG for work, $1 million SGD = ~$600,000 USD. The dollar has devalued since.
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

Right now 1 million USD = about 1.25 million SGD. The SGD like most asian currencies, has appreciated significantly against the USD over the last 10 years.

Boston Consulting Group reported last year that 15.5% of Singaporean households have at least USD$1 million in assets under management. This is the highest % in the world.

This % excludes the value of your primary residence. If the statistic includes the value of your primary residence, the % would easily go up to 25% or more.

Many HDB flats are now worth half a million dollars or more. Maybe only 10% of private property costs less than a million dollars.

Singapore is an extremely expensive overpriced country now. Foreigners looking for a place with soul don't come here, this is where all the super rich and the brainwashed rat-racing corporate yuppies flock to.