Teaching In China - Get Out Now!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Teaching In China - Get Out Now!

Post by Taco »

There's lots of horror stories about teaching English in China, I came across this one today on another forum.

Get Out Now
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin ... read=46271

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Thanks for posting this.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Post by All_That_Is_Man »

I didn't read all the responses, but his main gripe seems like the Chinese were prejudice against westerners. While no one should have to tolerate such bullshit, it's really no different than being a minority in a community of one race anywhere. Does he specify exactly what makes his experience horrible?
"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Life in China is hard - there's nothing to see here move on please!

A thing I've learnt from every single Chinese woman I've dated - China is great... if you've got money. Well I guess that's the same in any country really.

Teaching English should really be considered a last resort - if you've got another trade then use that to acquire wealth instead.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Another thing. How the f**k does this guy make $120,000 USD a year teaching English (or "$10,000 a month" as he put it)? Something about this just ain't right?..

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 20th, 2013, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

eurobrat wrote:
All_That_Is_Man wrote:Another thing. How the f**k does this guy make $120,000 USD a year teaching English (or "$10,000 a month" as he put it)? Something about this just ain't right?..
I think he meant Chinese dollars = $1500
Gotcha. Now it makes a little more sense.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

In a given place and time, there are windows of opportunity that opens and closes. China was a wide open window to Taiwanese men in the 1990s, when many made fortunes in business and real estate.

Today China's window is not as open in terms of opportunities, but Taiwan's window is slowly opening to Mainland China. A decade ago Taiwanese went to China to invest in RE. Today some Mainland Chinese are coming to TW to invest in RE because they think it's cheaper compared to China's inflated coastal areas.

IMO China has no problems with opening its window to foreigners and English teachers when they needed them. But some day they will not see as much value, and by then they'd probably tell foreigners to learn Chinese.
FREEDOM1
Freshman Poster

Post by FREEDOM1 »

momopi wrote:In a given place and time, there are windows of opportunity that opens and closes. China was a wide open window to Taiwanese men in the 1990s, when many made fortunes in business and real estate.

Today China's window is not as open in terms of opportunities, but Taiwan's window is slowly opening to Mainland China. A decade ago Taiwanese went to China to invest in RE. Today some Mainland Chinese are coming to TW to invest in RE because they think it's cheaper compared to China's inflated coastal areas.

IMO China has no problems with opening its window to foreigners and English teachers when they needed them. But some day they will not see as much value, and by then they'd probably tell foreigners to learn Chinese.
I have to diasgree here

english is spoken all around the world

this is not changing anytime soon

There is still a massive demand for english teachers in china

The guys siads hes been there for 5 years - cant be that bad if hes hung arround that long