Urgent! My house is inches from being flooded!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Winston
Site Admin

Urgent! My house is inches from being flooded!

Post by Winston »

Holy shit! The rain storm here won't stop. It keeps going and going. If the water level rises a few more inches, the first floor of my house will be flooded. I'm here alone now. What can I do?!

I tried to call for help, but my relatives aren't home. Any suggestions?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well fortunately the rain stopped just in time. Whew. Someone is outside now draining the water. There's a big sucking sound out there.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Re: Urgent! My house is inches from being flooded!

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 20th, 2013, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Prepare sand bags for future.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

I suggest you Reconstruct your front door. I assume this is where the flood water will enter. Elevate the door off the ground by adding steps or a ramp to enter the house. Spending time to do this might save you lots in the future.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Truthville
Freshman Poster

Post by Truthville »

Two Words!

Sump Pump!
"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: "I am a wretchedly longstanding victim;therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition."

"It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

There already is a ramp to the front door. But the rain put the water level so high that it was about to go higher than the ramp!

There is a drainage outside, but it doesn't drain fast enough sometimes.

Renata, ummm you can't elevate a door. A door isn't exactly movable. lol :P

Where can you get sand bags? I thought only the military had those. Water seeps through the slightest crack. It'd be hard to waterproof the front door. A little is still going to seep in.

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 20th, 2013, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Winston wrote:There already is a ramp to the front door. But the rain put the water level so high that it was about to go higher than the ramp!

There is a drainage outside, but it doesn't drain fast enough sometimes.

Renata, ummm you can't elevate a door. A door isn't exactly movable. lol
:P

Where can you get sand bags? I thought only the military had those. Water seeps through the slightest crack. It'd be hard to waterproof the front door. A little is still going to seep in.
You would have to do some construction, that's what I meant lol ...
In the caribbean we have floods too especially in april - june.
most homes are built on pillars or have doors way higher than the foundation/ground, fitted with something called Threshold sealed doors; designed especially to keep out flood water.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Post by MatureDJ »

Have a bunch of cinder blocks handy and elevate your furniture.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Flood is a dangerous annoyance, it's not only about the water, but after the water is gone everything is full with mud and garbage, persistent rain is also causing landslides, damaging streets, entering houses.

I am always in favor to live in a strong condominium building and not owning a house.

Here in Japan I am living on the 5th floor, and in Thailand my rooms in the city center of Pattaya are on 11th floor, my Jomtien beach condo unit is located on 5th floor. - Last year there was a huge flood everywhere in that area, up to about 1 meter deep in some places.

If you live in a condominium building higher than the ground floor you are fairly safe against flood damages, just keep some food, drinking water etc. in your home and wait it out until the rain stops.

In Pattaya, take it easy - flood is still somehow fun too, as it is always warm and after it's sunny again.