The Philippines: Devils Advocate

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

OutWest wrote:
Jester wrote:
OutWest wrote:Most men should not go to places like the Philippines, and it is certainly not some kind of ideal retirement destination- it only would work for a few men, not most.
Outwest this is a fairl bold statement. The kind I like, because you have something to say.

Care to elaborate?
It's more a matter of simple reality- most western men are not prepared to live in the third world. They have lived relatively spoiled, not used to dealing with the hardships that many of those all around them may encounter. There are things that are inconvenient here
and few will fluff your pillow in the process. Standards of sanitation are far lower, and a host of various risks may bit the unwary. An inexperienced traveler can get bit pretty hard.

Most men want some version of the suburban comforts they are accustomed to. You have to learn how to navigate the immigration/visa issues, and there are a multitude of pitfalls with corruption, and just plain backward attitudes.

Living in the Philippines for whatever reason, including retiring here, is best for experienced adventuresome souls.
If you have the adventuresome quality, but not the experience, better to get some mentoring and then take some trips to get some experience, whether the Philippines or anywhere else. For the Philippines and many others as well, (Like most of Latin America)
the rule of law is not established to the point where it is any kind of retirement "haven". Sure, it can be done, but that is for the men who are willing to take some risks, gain experience, and who enjoy being outliers. If you have a decent income, Uruguay or Chile
are legally more established places. For all the talk, the actual numbers of men who do this kind of thing is very small, so as you see, most rule themselves out right from the get-go.

This kind of thing is simply not everyone's cup of tea. For a very few, it works just fine.

Outwest
Right. Also, wise expats know to keep a low profile. They don't flag themselves as big spenders or stay in fancy hotels. They rent small apartments, keep a low profile, never loan money, and limit their contacts to a select few.

Either that, or they make friends with powerful people who can help them in emergencies.

Unless you are a playboy, sexpat, or serial dater, I don't see what the point of living in the PH is anyway.

Also, it seems that Asian foreigners like me don't get scammed as much as white foreigners do. As an Asian, they see me sort of like a distant cousin. Plus you don't draw the attention that white people do, unless you open your mouth and start speaking English.

As for me, I ride jeepneys and stay in cheap places. When I look like I'm on a budget, I don't attract scammers as much, though I still get people asking for loans.

It also always pays to bargain on prices in advance, where the prices are not set.

Furthermore, if you live there, you also know where you can go to not get ripped off and who you can trust. So you go to the same restaurants and use the same barbers and hire the same drivers that you know, etc.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I have a question.

How would Filipinos who conspire with each other trust each other to keep their promises to "share the loot"?

After all, even in movies, bad guys often betray each other and eliminate each other after they have served their purpose. They show this in movies all the time. Wouldn't it be the same in real life? If so, how do bad guys trust each other?

So how would a Filipino conspirator trust that a fellow conspirator will uphold his/her end of the deal? They backstab, double cross and break their promises to each other too right?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
chaste_filipina
Freshman Poster

Post by chaste_filipina »

Sheesh! Enough with this male bashing...

To DevilsAdvocate:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference."

Read this article: http://www.wikihow.com/Forgive

Please do! You're holding a grudge to all Filipinas/Filipinos and the Philippines.
Why don't you look at yourself ten years from now? Twenty years after that? Thirty years more? Who is the one burning? The object of ridicule or your Self?

Forgiveness is a choice. When you say, "I can't forgive that person," what you're really saying is, "I'm choosing not to forgive that person." If you say it the second way instead, you'll find yourself forgiving soon.

True forgiveness is unconditional and not predicated on any act or request from the offender. The type of forgiveness discussed here is intended to free you from the impotent rage, depression, and despair that nursing a grievance causes.

P.S.
Wow! That was a first! I never knew that

"I AM A SCAMMER?!?" :shock:

Where did you learn your primary education?
Have you look up the word "scammer" in a dictionary?
For your information, I didn't signed up to hook some Western guy, such as you, or to any guys here. I signed up because I was searching articles in the internet about spiritual awakening and I found Winston's post - which piqued my interest.
Why are you fixated that Filipinas only want GUYS who have cash?
Didn't you understand my statement there? Oh, yeah...
Your heart was terribly crushed right that's why you are bitching and whining on this forum...
Are you even certain that your gender is male?
Sounds like you are currently undergoing the pains of PMS???

DevilsAdvocate, YOU are a certified Chauvinist and Misogynist! Also, a babbling brook! :twisted:

God bless your soul! :roll:
Amen!

STOP WALLOWING ALREADY!

MAN UP!

or

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE BALLS FOR IT! :lol:

A man may age every day, but never :!: GROW UP :!:

Clearly, YOU are becoming an

:arrow: ASSOHOLIC

every single passing day!
Last edited by chaste_filipina on July 28th, 2012, 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaste_filipina
Freshman Poster

I am very disappointed in this website.

I never knew that you actually encourage this kind of passive-aggressive mentality of a toddler here.

I thought this website was unique on its own.

Now, all I can see are boys who disguise themselves as real men (to the one who started this forum).

I'm sorry to say Winston, but I am regretting coming here and signing up for your website. People here should practice respect but I don't see that. You're trying to pacify a spoiled brat by agreeing everything his mouth says. If I was his mother, I will strictly discipline my child because he is having his "fits" aka "temper tantrums".

Why do men and women cannot respect each other. It doesn't mean that I am a woman, makes me a lesser being than you men. And in no way I am thinking that I am far more superior than you males here.

Sorry. I just hope that we can chill out here and just destroy our Egos.

Seriously...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Chaste Filipina,
Sorry for that one member, but you can just ignore him.

Remember this is a free speech forum where people can say taboo things. But that comes with a price, as sometimes we will have psychos. It's part of the consequence of a free speech forum.

Why don't you just ignore him and focus on the spiritual topic threads, if that's what you came here for?

What does "chaste" mean? Does it mean you believe in virginity?

chaste_filipina
Freshman Poster

from the free dictionary

chaste (chst)
adj. chast·er, chast·est
1. Morally pure in thought or conduct; decent and modest.
a. Not having experienced sexual intercourse; virginal.
b. Abstaining from unlawful sexual intercourse.
c. Abstaining from all sexual intercourse; celibate.
3. Pure or simple in design or style; austere.

I am inclined mostly on the first definition.
I rather not answer the second definition.
DevilsAdvocate
Freshman Poster

Shameful Filipino

Post by DevilsAdvocate »

"My crazy pathetic wife is as crazy as ever. Being primitive all over again like when I found her. Wiping her ass with her hand and water then forgets to wash her hands.I guess old habits are hard to break. You know us Americans as I have told her are from a more civil and advance culture. Hers is so primitive. But you know they chose to be this way. The refuse to learn or take in any new ideas or ways how to make life for them easier. They are a country of pathetic people who refuse to change. You cant tell a Filipino how to do anything. They are ignorant and believe they are smarter then other cultures. For instance I tried to teach these people how to construct a chicken coup and smaller pens. They refuse to see and hear what an ordinary simple coup is made. Instead they do things the hard way what takes say 3 of them to work on takes me myself only ½ the time to make. Its like their buildings they build them of straw and bamboo or cheaply made cemented hollow block. Well the straw and bamboo get destroyed blown away in their typhoons and their cheap concrete house with tin roofs crumble to the ground during earthquakes and crush everyone inside. Its not that they don’t have the material because they do but they don’t have the knowledge or skills now what anyone teaching them how to properly do things. Say their boats, Ferries for instance they know they can only hold say 50 people. But these fools pack them, with say 200 people + their pigs, goats. And you know what do you thinks gonna happen? The boats sink. You may have heard that on the news once in awhile. Ferry in Philippines capsizes everyone dies, bodies missing some eaten by crocks. They refuse to learn they try to make as much money ignoring any safety hazards."

"I just got up this morning and discovered my wife had let someone in again while I was still in bed. This monkey used my bathroom and wouldn’t you know it I find water and shit on the floor and on toilet, floating crap in toilet and a water bucket in my sink from the shower. Apparently the primate did not sit on the toilet seat and use it properly as its intended for. The monkey must of squatted over the seat did his shit. Ignored the fact that there is always toilet paper on the wall in front of the motherf***er where it should be. Ignored that this is a modern bathroom and toilet and did not use the flush handle. Instead he grabbed the small water bucket from the shower place it in the sink washed his ass over the toilet and floor then washed his hands in the water bucket with handle and left it in the sink. If you can imagine the dirtiness’ of these kinds of creatures and major health concerns. Feces on the floor the bathroom stunk. I mean the whole bathroom has to be cleaned out because some lame stupid little Pinoy f**k in this day and age cant use a toilet properly. How hard is it to sit your ass down take a crap, use the toilet paper to wipe your ass, Flush the toilet then wash your hands with soap? Instead they got to do all that crap make a huge disaster in my bathroom. Everything has to be mopped, entire toilet ,cleaned out bleach the floor. I mean you cant get rid of the smell its just all over! I’m even wondering about our toothbrushes and toothpaste sitting near the sink if he washed his ass in our sink! Splashed on our toothbrushes. motherf***er! Heres an article some pinoy was so proud to post in this modern day and age: http://www.ehow.com/how_5593453_use-toi ... pines.html What f***ing little primitive monkeys in this modern day and age.They know nothing of health issues here.What about the crap under their nails and the fact that most people here dont wash with soap after they are done and go back to cooking for themselves their families or in the work place.Been in and out of Philippines for many years on buisness and believe me these people will never change and theyll never cease to amaze me! They wonder why their people are so sick all the time and why so many diseases.They even still burn their garbage and crap daily here and pullute the air with all ther smoke and smoke belching vehicles.Their air is far worse and 10 times as bad as anything in the U.S.You know how bad that is for the environment? They just dont give a shit!"

http://shamefullfilipino.wordpress.com/ ... -filipino/
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Jeez......Philippine is some backward ass country. Ok we got it but hell some guys still go there for what..? only for the p***y.
DevilsAdvocate
Freshman Poster

Filipinos You Got To Love Them

Post by DevilsAdvocate »

"Filipino houses are the worst thing you’d ever see. A ceramic bowl which resembles a small toilet that’s lowered to the ground no seat cover or top cover or flush tank. They don’t even use toilet paper. Its just a faucet like we have outside our home with a bucket .The fill the bucket up of water and use there hand to wipe there ass as they poor water down there back. Its normally the same faucet and bucket they take a bath with. Most don’t have a shower and nobody has a tub. Also no hot water just cold water. Don’t know anything about hot water heaters. The bathrooms are normally covered and stink of urine. What they do is this. They do there business standing up bent over the toilet and aim and well shit falls where it may. They even stand on the porcelain toilet and bombs away.. Sick primitive people. They were doing the same thing when I first arrived here in 1998.they have always done things this way. My wife who I had a hard time teaching our American way in America for the last 12 years is slowly returning to her same primitive ways. What he f**k! She was even sent to College to become a dietary supervisor and took a course in Health and nutrition. Dam mean to say I have to teach her all over again how to be health conscious and act like a lady?"

"Wife has been getting real bad again. Has once again become more violent and threatening which I expected but talked to her about it before we even returned. A lot of good it did. Especially when she is around her own dam people she acts real dominant over me as she has in the past. Screams at me in front of her people as if to show she is calling the shots. Picks fights, hits and kicks etc. Funny thing is When I can restrain her through all her kicking, screaming and cursing she ends up with as many bruises as I. Just from holding her back .She bruises very easy. Not that it didn’t happen in America just more often here. Real arrogant like she has a pair of balls between her legs. Not only that…the real truth is my wife is a bit unstable She didnt get the knick names crying crazy lady in her city for nothing. Course I dint know that until I married her. But that’s another story…"

"Most all Filipino do not have any kindness for animals. No such thing is pets. Have no remorse over killing domesticated animals such as dogs or cats preparing them in a blood pot. Normally served when the men are drinking with there buddies. A favorite past time which they call drinking session. While your sitting in front of the tv They show on the daily news here lifeless mutilated bodies. That have been run over dragged down the street, people who were butchered by there enemies or gunned down by armed goons. Headless victims, crazed men who when through a rampage in an elementary school and slaughtered kids. To them that’s o.K. censorship here. Anything to attract the viewers and give them high ratings. I mean people enjoy watching this stuff. With a mouth full of food in front of the tv. Kids are even watching. Its like watching Faces Of Death. But for all American programs even American sports. They tell there viewers our American programs may not be suitable for its viewers? What the f**k! Then they’re wondering why there people are such savages continue to go around killing. They are breeding theses people into ruthless killers, rapist, molesters, Everything you can think of in a people such is this. Its here! They have no respect for human life."

"On another note .Here in the Philippines when an American show comes on say “The price is rightâ€￾ At the beginning of the program they add “The following program may be unsuitable for viewers parental discretion is advised.â€￾ Come on! The price is right? But for theses people they can show on your daily tv the slaughtering of animals. Four instance they showed just the other day people taking live goats and slitting there throats while they scream, kick and are holding them over bowls spewing the blood into them alive the poor animals bodies thrashing. They do this with every animal they butcher. They use the blood for their favorite dishes such as blood meat etc."

"Don’t know why she talks shit because I have bought her crap for the bitches. Problem with Pinoy is if they cant fool you and get the rich Americans money. They will go around and spread vicious lies.They are all scum here I tell you I cant say it enough! I and Menchie want to return I guess knowing that we will just be loosers again in America back on welfare and even they will f**k us at some point the always do. Jobless and renting. Other words start from scratch put together what we were miserable with. I just cant do that to my kids. Take away the home here I promised them as they have been able to adjust and know what it is to say I own a home now and not just a stupid pathetic renter in America."

http://shamefullfilipino.wordpress.com/ ... -filipino/
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

DA,
My Filipina friend Mary Rose, whom you can see below, always treated me when we went out and didn't let me pay for her. How do you explain that? She's in Australia now happily married to an Aussie guy.

DevilsAdvocate
Freshman Poster

Post by DevilsAdvocate »

Winston wrote:DA,
My Filipina friend Mary Rose, whom you can see below, always treated me when we went out and didn't let me pay for her. How do you explain that? She's in Australia now happily married to an Aussie guy.

Well I suppose it's very possible she was using the Aussie's money to treat you with, and maybe a few others as well....

In the stories I've read there is another pattern that jumps out. A lot of people who were married to a Filipina would say that they were amazed at how they had the ability to "morph" into what the man wanted to hear and his way of life. And then when the time was right to do their thing, whether take off once get the green card or steal money or whatever. But the point I'm making is that they would say they couldn't believe how they could "morph" into exactly what they wanted.

I found the same thing to be true with my Filipina, she was exactly what I wanted.

Personally from what I've been able to gather through all the stories I've read coming from a 100 different angles is that the entire Filipino culture is one of lies and deception and extortion, from the top all the way down. And getting worse and worse as the population is out of control and no help is in sight, making poverty worse and worse. This is the reason why a fat 60 year old man can get a 20 year old hot Filipina, it shows the dire desperation going on within the Philippines.

Gangs are roaming around stealing from people....

Extortion being used all the time...

And as Ladislav pointed out they don't just do it to foreigners, they do it to their own kind as well.

Filipinos are not as a race thieves and liars, the reason these people are like this is very simple, they have to be, it's a cut throat society and the game is to survive and get as much as you can. And of course it's being fueled by the Media which is teaching them to be this way and that in the USA what we watch is much worse then what they watch, and therefore their behavior must not be as bad as our behavior....

What we are witnessing going on within the Philippines is capitalism and poverty as it's worst.....
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

chaste_filipina wrote:Sheesh! Enough with this male bashing...

To DevilsAdvocate:

.....snipped

snipped

Dear Chaste Filipina,

Imagine your sister/brother/aunt went abroad, say, to Saudi and then, their salary would not be paid, they would be verbally abused, cheated and thrown onto the street. Happens in the Arab world to Filipinos all the time. Same in places like Cyprus- locked in the house no salary, treated like a dog, sometimes even raped. All this while far away from friends and family in a foreign land. Pure agony!
What would be your reaction? Say, your sister, in Saudi now, they are not paying her salary, making her work overtime, took away her passport and turned her into a slave. Happens to OFWs all the time.
Mass indignation and rage in the Philippines over such abuses against Pinoys in foreign land.
I am sure you would be enraged, too. And you would be posting bad things about the country where such abuses took place and their societies that allow these abuses. Heartless people exploiting foreign workers. Bad, bad bad!
Even more personal- would you like for those things to happen to you? And if they did, how would you react?
I am sure you would write something bad somewhere.
Lo and behold, an Arab comes and calls you an asshole, tells you it is all your fault and then asks you to forgive. After you have not been paid salary for 2 years. Yeah, right.

Well, sad to say, when foreigners go to the Philippines, many are also abused daily. Maybe not exactly in the same way as OFWs are, but in other ways- overcharged, cheated in business, all money is gone, family of the wife conspiring against the husband to get money out of him. Things like that. Some guys even got killed.

Those that did not, come back and write reports about this.

And then people like you read the accounts of how they had been abused in your country and are....emotionallly hurt and attack the poster. Maybe you should instead advise the man how to avoid those scams? Maybe you should warn him about such bad people in your country. Maybe, at least you should condemn those bad people.

Are these good things- to abuse people who are far away from home?

Like this:

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=122818

or in a slightly different way- the way foreigners lose everything in your country.

Shouldn't you instead try and welcome them and accommodate them? Don't you feel any pity at all for someone who is totally alone in your country with people abusing him and basically having no kind of pity towards him at all? Don't you feel ashamed that those things happen in your country to people who are totally alone and helpless there? And it is thier Filipino family abusing them? And don't you think it ruins the country's reputation in the eyes of the world? Why don't you try and help to curb all that cheating in your country and defend those people who are alone there?

Some Pinoys are expressing their outrage. Look at this:

http://www.remate.ph/2012/07/inabuso-ang-mga-amerikano/

Otoh, I do blame American movies and the whole American myth that is blaring how rich Americans are to the rest of the world. There is nothing rich about the expensive, heavily indebted USA or an average American who is barely trying to survive.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

ladislav wrote:

To DevilsAdvocate:

.....snipped

snipped

Dear Chaste Filipina,

Imagine your sister/brother/aunt went abroad, say, to Saudi and then, their salary would not be paid, they would be verbally abused, cheated and thrown onto the street. Happens in the Arab world to Filipinos all the time. Same in places like Cyprus- locked in the house no salary, treated like a dog, sometimes even raped. All this while far away from friends and family in a foreign land. Pure agony!
What would be your reaction? Say, your sister, in Saudi now, they are not paying her salary, making her work overtime, took away her passport and turned her into a slave. Happens to OFWs all the time.
Mass indignation and rage in the Philippines over such abuses against Pinoys in foreign land.
I am sure you would be enraged, too. And you would be posting bad things about the country where such abuses took place and their societies that allow these abuses. Heartless people exploiting foreign workers. Bad, bad bad!
Even more personal- would you like for those things to happen to you? And if they did, how would you react?
Lo and behold, an Arab comes and calls you an asshole, tells you it is all your fault and then asks you to forgive. After you have not been paid salary for 2 years. Yeah, right.

Well, sad to say, when foreigners go to the Philippines, many are also abused daily. Maybe not exactly in the same way as OFWs are, but in other ways- overcharged, cheated in business, all money is gone, family of the wife conspiring against the husband to get money out of him. Things like that. Some guys even got killed.

And then people like you read the accounts of how they had been abused in your country and are....emotionallly hurt and attack the poster. Maybe you should instead advise the man how to avoid those scams? Maybe you should warn him about such bad people in your country. Maybe, at least you should condemn those bad people.

Like this:

or in a slightly different way- the way foreigners lose everything in your country.

Shouldn't you instead try and welcome them and accommodate them? Don't you feel any pity at all for someone who is totally alone in your country with people abusing him and basically having no kind of pity towards him at all? Don't you feel ashamed that those things happen in your country to people who are totally alone and helpless there? And it is thier Filipino family abusing them? And don't you think it ruins the country's reputation in the eyes of the world? Why don't you try and help to curb all that cheating in your country and defend those people who are alone there?

Otoh, I do blame American movies and the whole American myth that is blaring how rich Americans are to the rest of the world. There is nothing rich about the expensive, heavily indebted USA or an average American who is barely trying to survive.
While I certainly agree with much of your view and sympathize with anyone in any culture who has been cheated or taken advantage of the issue here is whether the entire culture or country itself is a scamming, lying, cheating culture. If a tourist travels to NYC and has his pocket picked (which happens every day of the year) does that make NYC a city of thieves? OK, having lived in NYC in my past and been robbed, maybe that's a bad analogy :)

The point I am making is the OP made a series of blanket statements about an entire country of 100 million people based on his getting cheated and having his heart broken by a girl. This makes no more sense than my stating that 10 million New Yorkers are thieves based on my being robbed once. And like it or not, outsiders are targets in most cultures, first because the locals are unlikely to care about the outsider, and second because the outsider does not know the lay of the land and is therefore an easy target. So the outsider has an obligation to be particularly careful - and many aren't. So yes, blame the pickpocket for sure, blame the city that allows picketpockets to exist, but also blame the moron who flaunts his cash and his outsider status and don't be surprised when he gets his pocket picked.

But even more egregious to me is using quotes from the Internet to prove the OP's point. My God, it's the freaking Internet!! Google anything and you will find scores of people who hate it. Google your favorite restaurant, the one you've been to 100 times and have gotten 100 great meals. Guess what? You'll find bad review after bad review. Google Ghandi or the Dalai Lama and you'll find people who hate them and swear they were horrible, corrupted people.

So, here we have a new member of HA (who we all know is not really a new member) with 20 postings hating PI (multiplied by the other forums where he has undoubtedly spewed the same shit) and what do you get? The Internet - where most truth is drowned out by the 1% of people who post the most.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Jester wrote:
DevilsAdvocate wrote:Nowhere in the world can a 50 year old man get himself a sweet 18 year old girl, and live in a society where everybody is too concerned about money to care about any moral aspects to this.
OK guys, who disagrees with DA here?

Where is this possible outside the Phils?

(Inquiring minds want to know...)
:wink:
While I personally don't go as young as 18 (at least I haven't yet lol), there certainly are places in the 3rd world where middle aged men and younger women connect. But I would hate for DA to consider me "immoral" so I won't get into specifics.

What I will say is that if money were the only reason for this, than most countries in the world would be filled with this older man-younger woman dynamic, since let's face it, there are more poor countries than rich countries. The dynamic in PI is much more complex than just saying it's about poor girls in a poor country.
DevilsAdvocate
Freshman Poster

Post by DevilsAdvocate »

davewe wrote:
ladislav wrote:

To DevilsAdvocate:

.....snipped

snipped

Dear Chaste Filipina,

Like this:

While I certainly agree with much of your view and sympathize with anyone in any culture who has been cheated or taken advantage of the issue here is whether the entire culture or country itself is a scamming, lying, cheating culture. If a tourist travels to NYC and has his pocket picked (which happens every day of the year) does that make NYC a city of thieves? OK, having lived in NYC in my past and been robbed, maybe that's a bad analogy :)

The point I am making is the OP made a series of blanket statements about an entire country of 100 million people based on his getting cheated and having his heart broken by a girl. This makes no more sense than my stating that 10 million New Yorkers are thieves based on my being robbed once. And like it or not, outsiders are targets in most cultures, first because the locals are unlikely to care about the outsider, and second because the outsider does not know the lay of the land and is therefore an easy target. So the outsider has an obligation to be particularly careful - and many aren't. So yes, blame the pickpocket for sure, blame the city that allows picketpockets to exist, but also blame the moron who flaunts his cash and his outsider status and don't be surprised when he gets his pocket picked.

But even more egregious to me is using quotes from the Internet to prove the OP's point. My God, it's the freaking Internet!! Google anything and you will find scores of people who hate it. Google your favorite restaurant, the one you've been to 100 times and have gotten 100 great meals. Guess what? You'll find bad review after bad review. Google Ghandi or the Dalai Lama and you'll find people who hate them and swear they were horrible, corrupted people.

So, here we have a new member of HA (who we all know is not really a new member) with 20 postings hating PI (multiplied by the other forums where he has undoubtedly spewed the same shit) and what do you get? The Internet - where most truth is drowned out by the 1% of people who post the most.

What I'm doing is offering people an alternative view. You can dismiss what others are saying about the Philippines all you want to, but other people may not be so quick to do so. There aren't just hundreds of people saying the same thing, there are tens of thousands of people saying the exact same thing, this cannot be some mathematical anomaly.....

And as a foreigner in the Philippines, especially in the provinces, assuming you are white, you stand out to the point where everyone stares at you as you walk along.

While maybe 99% of those people aren't going to do anything to you, it only takes one of them to ruin your day.....

When you combine that with being there day after day, it increases the odds of something happening to you.

Being pickpocket by somebody isn't the end of the world. My problem with the Philippines is the extortion, this is a level of corruption that is not tolerable, and is very dangerous to a westerner, because any fool can bare false witness, and any fool can be made to be a witness to this, especially in a culture where it's normal to have 100+ family members, my girl had 500+ family members.

As a westerner, can you imagine that? How would you like to have 500+ family members? You know how many cousins that is?

When extortion can be used against you for profit in a country that is extremely poor to the point of daily survival that country becomes very dangerous to a person with money, and maybe even more dangerous to a person who is perceived to have money but really doesn't, because then they won't have the $10,000 standard extortion fee and won't be able to get themselves out of jail and back to the USA, and then they're really screwed.

But hey, life is a risk, anything can happen anywhere, but I think anybody is well advised to know the risks, and by simply knowing those risks you can take some steps to help minimize those risks.

Like for instance what I noted before, to never ever argue with a Filipino about anything whatsoever. If you can do that one simple thing you can probably reduce those risks down a great deal.