Another Chiang Mai video that got me really pumped up!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Another Chiang Mai video that got me really pumped up!

Post by pete98146 »

Thanks again to DA for turning us onto JC's retirement site. I've watched this video about 10 times already and it makes we want to retire tomorrow! In this video, JC shows us a furnished brand new apartment that is blocks away from the university in Chiang Mai. Not only that, you'd have a market/food court steps away!!! Best of all, it's only $200 a month to stay at this location.

Aside from worrying about weighing 300lbs in a year, it would be damned cool living here.

This is the type of Happier Abroad coverage that I enjoy seeing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omRS4RwUDiU&feature=plcp
DevilsAdvocate
Freshman Poster

Re: Another Chiang Mai video that got me really pumped up!

Post by DevilsAdvocate »

pete98146 wrote:Thanks again to DA for turning us onto JC's retirement site. I've watched this video about 10 times already and it makes we want to retire tomorrow! In this video, JC shows us a furnished brand new apartment that is blocks away from the university in Chiang Mai. Not only that, you'd have a market/food court steps away!!! Best of all, it's only $200 a month to stay at this location.

Aside from worrying about weighing 300lbs in a year, it would be damned cool living here.

You already have a girl so you don't really care, but JC has videos where he talks with some girls also and man, these chicks are so hot, I cannot wait to get myself over there. I cannot wait to take out one of these Thai girls, I love them.....

Good luck with your girl, I hope it works out well for you....
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

DevilsAdvocate wrote:
pete98146 wrote:Thanks again to DA for turning us onto JC's retirement site. I've watched this video about 10 times already and it makes we want to retire tomorrow! In this video, JC shows us a furnished brand new apartment that is blocks away from the university in Chiang Mai. Not only that, you'd have a market/food court steps away!!! Best of all, it's only $200 a month to stay at this location.

You already have a girl so you don't really care, but JC has videos where he talks with some girls also and man, these chicks are so hot, I cannot wait to get myself over there. I cannot wait to take out one of these Thai girls, I love them.....

Thanks DA, I have no doubt it will! Thai chicks can be tricky esp when you are in BKK. I remember buying a pair of glasses in BKK and I really hit it off with the cute sales girl but her boss was giving me the stink eye big time. So that, "you are a sex tourist until you prove otherwise" can be a tough one to overcome. But if you can find a way to live over there and the girls can get to know you then the negative perception should disappear. Isn't JC married to a Thai lady?

I've visited Chiang Mai once and I didn't sense that negative stigma only because CM isn't that much of a P4P scene....and there are a lot of normal expat couples running around. Living so close to the University would be a gold mine, wouldn't you think?? You could advertise free English lessons and respond to females only..lol.
DevilsAdvocate
Freshman Poster

Post by DevilsAdvocate »

pete98146 wrote:
DevilsAdvocate wrote:

Thanks DA, I have no doubt it will! Thai chicks can be tricky esp when you are in BKK. I remember buying a pair of glasses in BKK and I really hit it off with the cute sales girl but her boss was giving me the stink eye big time. So that, "you are a sex tourist until you prove otherwise" can be a tough one to overcome. But if you can find a way to live over there and the girls can get to know you then the negative perception should disappear. Isn't JC married to a Thai lady?

I've visited Chiang Mai once and I didn't sense that negative stigma only because CM isn't that much of a P4P scene....and there are a lot of normal expat couples running around. Living so close to the University would be a gold mine, wouldn't you think?? You could advertise free English lessons and respond to females only..lol.

I'm just going to go to Chiang Mai and wear like nice pants like some type of Polo pants and Polo shirt, look sharp but not too fancy of course, and I'm just going to go up to them and start talking to them and asking them out. Can't be too hard....

The girls are so friendly that even when they say "no" it won't be a big deal, and I think many will say yes :-)

And JC says that if you are out by yourself alone, some of them will just come up to you and go out with you because they "pity" you, because you have nobody to be with......

GET ME ON THE PLANE!

I could use some pity right now.....

:-)
green1976
Freshman Poster

Post by green1976 »

pete98146 wrote:
DevilsAdvocate wrote:

If you are a young guy,let's say you look less than a 40's,they won't be any problem with the p4p stigma.

What it's more visible is the man in his 60's who hang out with a Thai woman in her 20's.
Thai people won't blink an eye for it but they would speak behind.

Anyway,the western guy who do that could not even imagine to have the possibility of being around a lovely young lady back home.
He provide financial security and she provide for sex,taking care and so on.

Maybe in BKK the sex tourist label is more pronounced when you hang out surrounded by the middle class or high class Thai Chinese women.

In my experience,i had met Thai women who where quite wealthy,having buisness and none of them were bothered when i talked about Pattaya or bar girls.

In various time,they even proposed me to take one and have fun if i wanted.

It's not a big deal in Thailand to do p4p,far less than what we knows in our countries.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

DevilsAdvocate wrote:
pete98146 wrote:
DevilsAdvocate wrote:

I'm just going to go to Chiang Mai and wear like nice pants like some type of Polo pants and Polo shirt, look sharp but not too fancy of course, and I'm just going to go up to them and start talking to them and asking them out. Can't be too hard....

The girls are so friendly that even when they say "no" it won't be a big deal, and I think many will say yes :-)

And JC says that if you are out by yourself alone, some of them will just come up to you and go out with you because they "pity" you, because you have nobody to be with......

GET ME ON THE PLANE!

Can you link the video in which JC talks about the women? Couldn't find it. I'm sharing JC's site with a bunch of my single guy friends.

Good strategy on approaching women in CM...I'm sure you'll do well. Believe it or not, I had a bad case of the flu when I was in Chiang Mai so I was back in my hotel every night at 8pm so I can't really fill you in on the overall vibe of the place. The women had less of an Issan look to them and they were pretty...this I can remember.

BTW, stay away from the actual Polo brand because they sell a TON of knock off Polo brand wear esp in Thailand and many expats wear it around. Buy some unique looking clothes Stateside before visiting.
DevilsAdvocate
Freshman Poster

Post by DevilsAdvocate »

pete98146 wrote:
DevilsAdvocate wrote:
pete98146 wrote:
DevilsAdvocate wrote:

GET ME ON THE PLANE!

Can you link the video in which JC talks about the women? Couldn't find it. I'm sharing JC's site with a bunch of my single guy friends.

Good strategy on approaching women in CM...I'm sure you'll do well. Believe it or not, I had a bad case of the flu when I was in Chiang Mai so I was back in my hotel every night at 8pm so I can't really fill you in on the overall vibe of the place. The women had less of an Issan look to them and they were pretty...this I can remember.

BTW, stay away from the actual Polo brand because they sell a TON of knock off Polo brand wear esp in Thailand and many expats wear it around. Buy some unique looking clothes Stateside before visiting.

I believe some of those videos are within his "paid" area, or members area....

But here is one video JC talks about having a relationship with a Thai girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnQgQdCm ... ature=plcp

It has something to do with their Buddha religion or philosophy, but at the same time you cannot expect them to be faithful to you either, but then again it's like that in the west as well.

I'm at the point where I don't care about that anymore, kinda like if you cannot beat them join them type deal. I find some of these Thai girls very sexy and exotic and I just want to have fun talking with them and taking them some places to see their Temples and learn about their culture while being able to enjoy them on an intimate level....
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

How old are you DA?? If I may ask...
DevilsAdvocate
Freshman Poster

Post by DevilsAdvocate »

pete98146 wrote:How old are you DA?? If I may ask...

I am 44 but look younger, say around 35 or so....

But at 44 I can see the aging really catching up to me now, I'm at the time now where the aging is going to increase much faster, in 10 years I'll go from looking young still and youthful with a baby face to looking like JC :-)

It's nice to know though that I have 10 years before I'll reach JC's age and he can pull girls at his age, so I should do well. He's 6'4" though and I'm 5"10 but I think maybe being 5"10 over there might be better because 6'4" seems tall for a short girl :-)

But anyway I should do well, but then again, I'm only looking for one girl, I'm the exact opposite of a hound dog, I'm an intellectual and scientist with my own business and I'm not really sociable. But in Thailand with such an exotic culture and things to see which I never have or even heard of before and with an exotic girl with me at my side to go do things with is exactly what I need...

I might still go get a Filipina, I love the way they look too, maybe even more so, Filipinas are very sexy.

It's going to be a fun adventure, one that I never thought of taking before in my life....

Bored with the USA
Bored with television
Bored with movies

Time for a new adventure, and it's nice that others can pave the way some to give us guys some inspiration that if we do get on a plane and go half way around the world to someplace you never been before and cannot even speak the language and don't know anybody at all, that you can hookup with a nice girl who will love to be your tour guide, friend, lover, etc.....

Just a little sophistication and some money and once again an American man can be a little romantic with a girl again, something that if does exist still in the USA it's not something I'm interested in being....

But with a nice friendly Thai girl.....sure....why not...

It's fun to be a little romantic, but not with a sheboy....
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

DevilsAdvocate wrote:

But at 44 I can see the aging really catching up to me now, I'm at the time now where the aging is going to increase much faster, in 10 years I'll go from looking young still and youthful with a baby face to looking like JC :-)

It's nice to know though that I have 10 years before I'll reach JC's age and he can pull girls at his age, so I should do well. He's 6'4" though and I'm 5"10 but I think maybe being 5"10 over there might be better because 6'4" seems tall for a short girl :-)

But anyway I should do well, but then again, I'm only looking for one girl, I'm the exact opposite of a hound dog, I'm an intellectual and scientist with my own business and I'm not really sociable. But in Thailand with such an exotic culture and things to see which I never have or even heard of before and with an exotic girl with me at my side to go do things with is exactly what I need...

I might still go get a Filipina, I love the way they look too, maybe even more so, Filipinas are very sexy.

It's going to be a fun adventure, one that I never thought of taking before in my life....

Bored with the USA
Bored with television
Bored with movies

Time for a new adventure, and it's nice that others can pave the way some to give us guys some inspiration that if we do get on a plane and go half way around the world to someplace you never been before and cannot even speak the language and don't know anybody at all, that you can hookup with a nice girl who will love to be your tour guide, friend, lover, etc.....

Just a little sophistication and some money and once again an American man can be a little romantic with a girl again, something that if does exist still in the USA it's not something I'm interested in being....

I've got you by 6 years so your situation is very similar to mine when I was in my early 40s. I just so happened upon a nice filipina because let's call it what it is..complete luck. I was at the right place at the right time and I met girl that is second to none. But you know what...if you stay positive the women will find you. Sounds like you have a lot going for you and you'll do well. Despite your poor luck with the one filipina sounds like you have the ability to be resilient.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

DevilsAdvocate wrote:

Bored with the USA
Bored with television
Bored with movies

You will run into problems in Thailand- they are just different. American-Thai marriages seem to be problematic as well.
Gather with a cluster of long time expats in Thailand and the stories begin to come out, and many of them are NOT pretty.
One that I have heard repeatedly is the expat leaves Thai wife (and sometimes kids too) to take care of business back in the US or the UK, and comes back to find his condo or apartment totally empty, and bank account dry. I cannot even count the stories like this I have heard.)

The rose-colored glasses are coming out again- it is NOT like what is being painted here. I have spent a lot of time there, in the north, both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, and frankly, there are a lot of good things there. Housing is better and cheaper than most of the Philippines and it is FAR SAFER all around. In fact the general safety of the place can get you off your guard when in fact you are about to be hosed BIG TIME. It is a TOTALLY different mind set! I see NOTHING here that sheds much light on it in fact. Every single aspect of life is viewed differently, "East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet." always comes to mind.
I could write a book on this. It certainly applies in the Philippines and even MORE in mainland SE Asia.

If you get off the plane in the mode here, you are setting yourself up! Thailand has some good things to offer, but go slow!
If you do not, you may end up making that disaster in the Philippines look like enjoyable foreplay to the real hose job.
All I read here would run you headlong into disaster.

The P4P business in Thailand is even bigger than in the Philippines, and the attitude towards it is also different.
I cannot count the number of parents I have known of in the north who have new appliances or a car because they harvested one of their daughters totally without shame and sold him to the pimps that make their rounds to buy girls. I do not use the term metaphorically, I mean they sit down and negotiate just like selling a cow or pig.

Thai attitudes towards sex may encourage this, it seems almost mechanical, or just another body function, without anything sacred about it, so no big deal to sell it as needed. Now this might be a delight to a man just getting off the plane, it can become problematic if you have a wife or steady GF and you are gone for a while.

I am sure there are some good Thai girls to be found, but like everywhere, it is still a long shot, and those who rush in will really regret it.

Outwest
DevilsAdvocate
Freshman Poster

Post by DevilsAdvocate »

OutWest wrote:
DevilsAdvocate wrote:

Bored with the USA
Bored with television
Bored with movies

You will run into problems in Thailand- they are just different. American-Thai marriages seem to be problematic as well.
Gather with a cluster of long time expats in Thailand and the stories begin to come out, and many of them are NOT pretty.
One that I have heard repeatedly is the expat leaves Thai wife (and sometimes kids too) to take care of business back in the US or the UK, and comes back to find his condo or apartment totally empty, and bank account dry. I cannot even count the stories like this I have heard.)

The rose-colored glasses are coming out again- it is NOT like what is being painted here. I have spent a lot of time there, in the north, both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, and frankly, there are a lot of good things there. Housing is better and cheaper than most of the Philippines and it is FAR SAFER all around. In fact the general safety of the place can get you off your guard when in fact you are about to be hosed BIG TIME. It is a TOTALLY different mind set! I see NOTHING here that sheds much light on it in fact. Every single aspect of life is viewed differently, "East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet." always comes to mind.
I could write a book on this. It certainly applies in the Philippines and even MORE in mainland SE Asia.

If you get off the plane in the mode here, you are setting yourself up! Thailand has some good things to offer, but go slow!
If you do not, you may end up making that disaster in the Philippines look like enjoyable foreplay to the real hose job.

The P4P business in Thailand is even bigger than in the Philippines, and the attitude towards it is also different.
I cannot count the number of parents I have known of in the north who have new appliances or a car because they harvested one of their daughters totally without shame and sold him to the pimps that make their rounds to buy girls. I do not use the term metaphorically, I mean they sit down and negotiate just like selling a cow or pig.

Thai attitudes towards sex may encourage this, it seems almost mechanical, or just another body function, without anything sacred about it, so no big deal to sell it as needed. Now this might be a delight to a man just getting off the plane, it can become problematic if you have a wife or steady GF and you are gone for a while.

I am sure there are some good Thai girls to be found, but like everywhere, it is still a long shot, and those who rush in will really regret it.

Outwest

When you say about to be "hosed", could you be more specific? Do you mean hosed in terms of a girl wanting to take as much money from you as possible? Or are you talking about something else?

Take a look at this video for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfBrxaN51rc

Go to time index 4:28, take a look at that Thai girl with the big huge smile. Is she going to be the type of girl that would hose you?

I think if you're trying to find a faithful Thai wife that may be a serious problem. But if you just want a relationship with one for awhile however long the relationship is good for then what would there be to watch out for?
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

DevilsAdvocate wrote:
OutWest wrote:
DevilsAdvocate wrote:

Bored with the USA
Bored with television
Bored with movies

Outwest

When you say about to be "hosed", could you be more specific? Do you mean hosed in terms of a girl wanting to take as much money from you as possible? Or are you talking about something else?

Go to time index 4:28, take a look at that Thai girl with the big huge smile. Is she going to be the type of girl that would hose you?

I think if you're trying to find a faithful Thai wife that may be a serious problem. But if you just want a relationship with one for awhile however long the relationship is good for then what would there be to watch out for?
By "hosed" I mean screwing you over financially or otherwise...life-wrecking events, like the man who comes back from
a 3 week trip to find his Thai wife or GF has emptied the house and bank account...,makes for a very bad day.

The Thai girl at 4:28 in the video...well if I could read hearts I would be so retired...but I could say that a kind of plain looking girl who does not use makeup and who is actually capable of blushing is a far better bet than some bar girl, and an awful lot of men choose the bar-girl. That said, there is a big division in Thai society, and "good girls" do not want to be a farang's vacation GF. It demotes them to hooker-like status.

>>>Frankly, within Thailand, I would be cautious with the women, at least as much as the Philippines.
But there is an interesting dynamic that I should explain. Everyone within Thailand is not really Thai. You may meet Khmer, (Cambodia)
Karen, (Both Thai and Burma) any number of small tribal groups, as well as Burmese. In the north of the country, especially in the
border areas you may meet Shan girls. They can be very beautiful and seductive, some stunning come-hither beauties sometimes.
Of course, if you fell for the wrong one, you would really regret it, but some of them , wow!
Photos below are not quite Wow!, but you get the idea. A lot of the nicest girls you may meet in Thailand may be non-Thai
girls. Often sweet, without the frequent Thai superiority complex. Worth paying attention to!

http://www.redbubble.com/people/johnspi ... l-thailand

One big difference is that the Shan, though mostly north in Shan state, of what is Burma, actually consider themselves Thai, and the Thai king is considered their king. They speak very closely to Northern Thai, actually called Thai-yai in northern Thailand, or "Great Thai".
You will find them along the Thai border areas in places such as Chiang Rai, or depending on their legal status, just very close to the border in places like Mae Sai, a den of iniquity if there ever was one. Of course, now that Burma is opening up a bit, things may change, especially in small border towns like Tachilec. Keep in mind that as you get up into some of the border areas, especially into Shan state, malaria suppression is minimal and sometimes 80% of the population is infected, so how does that make your odds if you get those mesquito bites?

Background to help- Check out the movie Brokedown Palace, from 1999, it is on Netflix. It is based on a true story, and gives you an idea of what a mind-f**k much of SE Asia can be. "Every truth is a lie." Remember that line.

"A man has got to know his limitations." is a pretty good line to remember in Thailand and many other places.
Do a little brushing up on culture. Be very respectful of the Thai royal family in all cases, Royal's photos will be displayed everywhere, always at some high point in the room. You can be imprisoned for saying negative things about the Thai royals. Spend some time learning how to be seen as respectful. Never lose your temper even if you really really do need to choke the shit out of someone.
Never touch someone on the head, NEVER, it is very disrespectful...never sit with the bottom of your shoes exposed, once again, very disrespectful, inside the house they would be taken off anyway...these are a few of the obvious ones, read, learn, travel and experience.

Outwest
DevilsAdvocate
Freshman Poster

Post by DevilsAdvocate »

OutWest wrote:
DevilsAdvocate wrote:
OutWest wrote:
DevilsAdvocate wrote:

Bored with the USA
Bored with television
Bored with movies

Outwest

By "hosed" I mean screwing you over financially or otherwise...life-wrecking events, like the man who comes back from
a 3 week trip to find his Thai wife or GF has emptied the house and bank account...,makes for a very bad day.

The Thai girl at 4:28 in the video...well if I could read hearts I would be so retired...but I could say that a kind of plain looking girl who does not use makeup and who is actually capable of blushing is a far better bet than some bar girl, and an awful lot of men choose the bar-girl. That said, there is a big division in Thai society, and "good girls" do not want to be a farang's vacation GF. It demotes them to hooker-like status.

>>>Frankly, within Thailand, I would be cautious with the women, at least as much as the Philippines.
But there is an interesting dynamic that I should explain. Everyone within Thailand is not really Thai. You may meet Khmer, (Cambodia)
Karen, (Both Thai and Burma) any number of small tribal groups, as well as Burmese. In the north of the country, especially in the
border areas you may meet Shan girls. They can be very beautiful and seductive, some stunning come-hither beauties sometimes.
Of course, if you fell for the wrong one, you would really regret it, but some of them , wow!
Photos below are not quite Wow!, but you get the idea.

One big difference is that the Shan, though mostly north in Shan state, of what is Burma, actually consider themselves Thai, and the Thai king is considered their king. They speak very closely to Northern Thai, actually called Thai-yai in northern Thailand, or "Great Thai".
You will find them along the Thai border areas in places such as Chiang Rai, or depending on their legal status, just very close to the border in places like Mae Sai, a den of iniquity if there ever was one. Of course, now that Burma is opening up a bit, things may change, especially in small border towns like Tachilec. Keep in mind that as you get up into some of the border areas, especially into Shan state, malaria suppression is minimal and sometimes 80% of the population is infected, so how does that make your odds if you get those mesquito bites?

Background to help- Check out the movie Brokedown Palace, from 1999, it is on Netflix. It is based on a true story, and gives you an idea of what a mind-f**k much of SE Asia can be. "Every truth is a lie." Remember that line.

"A man has got to know his limitations." is a pretty good line to remember in Thailand and many other places.
Do a little brushing up on culture. Be very respectful of the Thai royal family in all cases, Royal's photos will be displayed everywhere, always at some high point in the room. You can be imprisoned for saying negative things about the Thai royals. Spend some time learning how to be seen as respectful. Never lose your temper even if you really really do need to choke the shit out of someone.
Never touch someone on the head, NEVER, it is very disrespectful...never sit with the bottom of your shoes exposed, once again, very disrespectful, inside the house they would be taken off anyway...these are a few of the obvious ones, read, learn, travel and experience.

Outwest

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Well if I can get a Thai girl like in that video to go out with me I'll gladly let her spend some of my money in exchange for some companionship, because she makes the blood within me boil, unlike American girls that turn my blood ice cold. Even if it were free from American girls it wouldn't be good enough. But that Thai girl just has to smile at me like that and she can have a lot of what she wants, and I'll be happy to give it to her.

I won't fall in love, don't think I believe in that anymore either.

But I will "love" to be with a girl like that.

Recently there was this young girl I think maybe 21 who really seemed like she wanted me to ask her out, she being a blonde girl pretty good looking, actually most people would probably say she was very good looking, not red hot model looks but very attractive and cute type looks. And I just couldn't go out with a girl like that, doesn't do anything for me, reminds me of my sister even, yikes.....

But I don't have any sisters that look like that Thai girl, and she is sexy and sweet and adorable actually and I would love to be with her, even for a short time like a couple of weeks, would do wonders for my self esteem and spirit I guess you could call it.

I'm going to try it out because you only live once and I'm running out of time in that I'm not getting any younger. I'm just not sure if I should just go out and look for a girl here where I am, there are these Malaysian girls down at Whole Foods and one of them said they have a friend they want to set me up with, so I guess I could even try that option, of course there are many other girls I could ask out as well, lot's of Asian girls around here....

But thanks for the advice, I guess in Asia lying is common, oh well I can live with it :-)
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Well, anything with a woman is hard to make turn out as you plan...

Where were you in the Philippines?

Outwest