Is Thailand still a good spot for Americans?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Is Thailand still a good spot for Americans?

Post by zacb »

I have been reading a little bit, and thinking. I have heard that there is alot of racism in Thailand, and alot of fake women in Thailand. But I guess in which part of the world would you have more fun, Thailand or Eastern Europe? Are things still good in Thailand?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Also, would it be a better place for hanging out in general (like for spring break or such)?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
FREEDOM1
Freshman Poster

Post by FREEDOM1 »

There is a lot of racism in the USA, so should tourists stop going there?

There are Americans who are racist, does this mean all Americans are racist?

There is racist people everywhere, and even if there is, this should

not stop you travelling to other countries, If peopleare racist towards you

just rub it back in their faces, its their problem, i dont give a f**k if soemone doesnt like

me, let them fester like dickheads in their own shit and hate
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

But I guess is it a great location for fun in general? Both sexual and non?
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Because Thailand has the reputation of the sex capital of the world. Your going to see lots of tourist in Bangkok. Lots of men going there for p4p action. So yes Thailand still has the reputation.

There is racism but nothing to really worry about..if anything you might get scam for being a tourist and be over charge.

If your looking for a regular decent girl ...that's a different story. Outside of Bangkok might have less tourist and you might get the feel of the real Thailand but still if your a foreigner you will be treated different. Not always in the bad way though.

Eastern Europe from what I hear actually has racism but if your a white guy you won't get in trouble. It seems to me it's always the white people country that has ultra-nationalism or skin heads beating on color folks.

You will not encounter Asian version of skin heads in Asia beating on white folks.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

In regards to the "fawning" stories about men having tons of women come after them, is that p4p or non-p4p?
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

zacb wrote:In regards to the "fawning" stories about men having tons of women come after them, is that p4p or non-p4p?
Its two categories: Hookers and bullshit. Yes it;s true, most hot girls (Well a few in the US do) do not want to provide free whoring services.
Get away from the whoring centers, some smaller town, and spend some time there, there may be some straight girls who show interest,
especially if you can show that you are not just a tourist. Most straight girls have no interest in providing vacation sexual services for foreigners for free. Some men actually build relationships with a Thai girl- most straight girls are looking for that, a relationship leading to marriage.

It has been my observation over the years, that most men who get very far into the mongering scene are really not capable of
serious relationships from that point.

Outwest
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

OutWest wrote:
It has been my observation over the years, that most men who get very far into the mongering scene are really not capable of
serious relationships from that point.

Outwest
Thanks for this observation. It would be easy to hook up with a beautiful, feminine Asian pro here in California. And then go nowhere, just tread water from then on.

So I appreciate the reinforcement.
Everdred
Freshman Poster

Re: Is Thailand still a good spot for Americans?

Post by Everdred »

zacb wrote:I have heard that there is alot of racism in Thailand, and alot of fake women in Thailand.
Concerning racism in Thailand, you certainly won't be lynched or hung for being a foreigner, but I still believe foreigners (particularly non-Asians) are very much second-class citizens in day-to-day Thailand. I have only been living in Thailand about four months now, and I can definitely feel that I'm treated very differently than the local people, mostly in negative ways.

For example, just this last weekend I was in the beach city of Hua Hin, and I rented a motorcycle for three days. During those three days, I noticed at least half of the people driving motorcycles in the city were not wearing helmets. I wore my helmet every time I drove the motorcycle, except only one time, which was maybe a 15-minute drive. And what do you know, that one time I decided not to wear a helmet, some corrupt cop pulled me over and started mouthing off about how I wasn't wearing a helmet. He made it sound as if had committed a very serious crime. He was also talking to someone on his walkie-talkie about how he caught a "farang" not wearing a helmet. Ironically, as I was pulled over, I could see countless Thai people driving by on their motorcycles without a helmet, yet none of them were being pulled over. In the end, I had to pay the cop 200 baht to let me go, which is actually very little. The money isn't what bothered me about this whole situation. What bothered me is the fact that the only reason I was pulled over for not wearing a helmet is because I'm white. There are many laws in Thailand that are only enforced upon foreigners.

I also notice I get shortchanged rather frequently in Bangkok. I've probably been shortchanged over ten times in only four months. And obviously there's a lot of people that try to overcharge me on a semi-daily basis. There's also countless places in Thailand where foreigners have to pay significantly more to enter than the locals, and I'm not just talking about parks either. You can also forget about obtaining permanent residency in Thailand, unless you're very rich or very lucky. Honestly, Thailand isn't the only country in Asia that does these kind of things to foreigners. The vast majority of Asian countries do the same. However, I have to say the cheating feels much stronger here in Thailand than it did in China. For example, I was only shortchanged a few times during my almost three years in China.

Just remember, there's plenty of advantages AND disadvantages to being a foreigner in Asia. It all balances out in the end.
CerealKiller
Freshman Poster

Post by CerealKiller »

Last edited by CerealKiller on October 10th, 2013, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

I'm English, and know a few Americans out there and there was no talk of trouble or anything, they don't care apart from the almighty baht!

Some girls don't like black or asian men, but saying that, it is only some girls... I would say some can be racist but not openly.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Concerning racism in Thailand, you certainly won't be lynched or hung for being a foreigner, but I still believe foreigners (particularly non-Asians) are very much second-class citizens in day-to-day Thailand. I have only been living in Thailand about four months now, and I can definitely feel that I'm treated very differently than the local people, mostly in negative ways.

Foreigner? Non-Oriental is a better description. If you do not look like an Oriental, you are a second class citizen, but if you are white or black you are a second class non-citizen. Just wait till you learn the language well and hear what they say about you. I did not hear US white racists say such bad things about other races. Plus there are so many bad looks and bad body language and all kinds of crap. That si outside large tourist areas.
It' s kind of like Hawaii. They hate Haolis.

Many people constantly deny it and always tell everyone how great they are treated. Otoh, I had a Malaysian friend who was treated very well and even Filipinos are treated better than whites.
Now, of course if you are a very rich person with a high position, then it is different. But for an average Joe, it sucks. Good for vacation, no godo to live there.

If you are an American, especially black or white, you should head for the Philippines, not Thailand. I am serious and will maintain it for the rest of my life. Been to Thailand, been to the Philippines. Philippines is way better. And if you like Thai food, just go to a Thai restaurant in the Philippines.
Asian Americans can go and be treated well, but long term visas are very hard to get.

In the Philippines they always try to get American retirees to come and live there. The Philippines and the US fought side by side and shed blood together. With all the crap we can say about each other, we still love each other and always will.

In the Philippines kids call me Daddy when I walk down the streets, they call me kabayan- compatriot, kuya- brother. Many call me Tagalog-because I speak Tagalog.

Beats so much the barking of " farang farang!" by kids and adults alike.

Screw Thailand. Don't go there!
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

ladislav wrote:

I am off to Boracay, Subic and Angeles in December... so looking forward to a change from Thailand... I do like Thai food, but any good food will do!

The women seem to look better esp on Winstons pics, the small pretty ones he had looked just my bag, very nice... In Thailand I found you had to go a long way to meet a real pretty one...

But will see at Xmas!
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Re: Is Thailand still a good spot for Americans?

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Everdred wrote:
zacb wrote:I have heard that there is alot of racism in Thailand, and alot of fake women in Thailand.

For example, just this last weekend I was in the beach city of Hua Hin, and I rented a motorcycle for three days. During those three days, I noticed at least half of the people driving motorcycles in the city were not wearing helmets. I wore my helmet every time I drove the motorcycle, except only one time, which was maybe a 15-minute drive. And what do you know, that one time I decided not to wear a helmet, some corrupt cop pulled me over and started mouthing off about how I wasn't wearing a helmet. He made it sound as if had committed a very serious crime. He was also talking to someone on his walkie-talkie about how he caught a "farang" not wearing a helmet. Ironically, as I was pulled over, I could see countless Thai people driving by on their motorcycles without a helmet, yet none of them were being pulled over. In the end, I had to pay the cop 200 baht to let me go, which is actually very little. The money isn't what bothered me about this whole situation. What bothered me is the fact that the only reason I was pulled over for not wearing a helmet is because I'm white. There are many laws in Thailand that are only enforced upon foreigners.

I also notice I get shortchanged rather frequently in Bangkok. I've probably been shortchanged over ten times in only four months. And obviously there's a lot of people that try to overcharge me on a semi-daily basis. There's also countless places in Thailand where foreigners have to pay significantly more to enter than the locals, and I'm not just talking about parks either. You can also forget about obtaining permanent residency in Thailand, unless you're very rich or very lucky. Honestly, Thailand isn't the only country in Asia that does these kind of things to foreigners. The vast majority of Asian countries do the same. However, I have to say the cheating feels much stronger here in Thailand than it did in China. For example, I was only shortchanged a few times during my almost three years in China.

Just remember, there's plenty of advantages AND disadvantages to being a foreigner in Asia. It all balances out in the end.
As a foreigner you will never be treated like a Thai and will always be treated by some as a second-class citizen.

However, in the case of riding a motorbike without a helmet, the cops will pull over anyone, even Thais. It may seem like they're singling you out but the truth is they're nailing Thais too.

Sixteen - seventeen years ago I sold products on the internet. One of the items was phony football shirts. I was earning quite a lot of money from them. The stores I dealt with would tell me of having to pay 200-400K baht payoffs to stay out of jail and stay in business. One day the cops came knocking on my door. They asked for 400K, I paid 100. The corruption is across the board and is not only directed at foreigners.

As far as being shortchanged or overcharged....how good is your Thai and can you read it? Obviously this helps.

I always check my change and I can not remember the last time I was shortchanged. Maybe it's my attitude or that I seem like someone who has been here for a long time, I don't know.

Where are you charged significantly more than Thais?

At parks and the zoo and other attractions they will charge more for foreigners but if you have a work permit, marriage visa, or retirement visa, they will normally charge you the same as Thais. I've seen tourists charged double the normal price for street food but I can't remember being overcharged for anything in many, many years. Granted, I'm about as local as a foreigner can get but once you know the prices of things, don't allow them to overcharge you.

This is another reason why Thai chicks come in handy. If I see something I want and don't know the price or need to get a price over the phone, I have my wife do this. Then when I go in I know the price. If they don't budge I'll either refuse to make the purchase or get my wife to make it for me.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Been here for a couple of weeks now and I'll say that Thailand is a pretty good place to come.

I've not actually seen that many Americans here, white Western guys are generally Australian or British.

As Everdred and I have witnessed, the major tourist places are just packed with scammers. They'll tell you that the tourist site is closed, or they know a better way of getting there, or they'll even sell you clothes to make you look more respectable visiting certain monuments!

I'm pretty sure we were being fleeced in ChinaTown as well - the Chinese guys were paying a fraction of what we were paying for tea and a chat to some lovely ladies!!!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.