peeking through the veil, back in hell. going home soon.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
mlano
Freshman Poster

peeking through the veil, back in hell. going home soon.

Post by mlano »

I visited DF (mexico city in english) for about two weeks, and oaxaca, oaxaca for about two weeks, and then came back to mexico city for a few days.

What I saw there, blew my mind.

I come from Berkeley, one of the richest places on the planet. People drive Range Rovers, BMWs and Mercedes's a lot, along with generally new nice cars.

We have money. We're in the middle of the silicon valley, UC Berkeley, Stanford, and a hell of a lot of feminism.

I went to mexico, and BOOM, no more feminism, no more other races, rich people, and tall people!

Where I'm from, tall people are relatively common. Being 6'2", I don't attract much attention where I live.

In mexico, my father (who I travelled with) said he could spot me easily in huge crowds, because (especially in oaxaca where the people are shorter and browner) I totally stood out being tall, well dressed, white, and blond, where back home, I'm part of a normal looking collective mass of similarly featured similarly styled people.

I signed up for a salsa dancing class at my community college, this fall, College of Alameda. I went the first day and there were more women than men. I come back next week, and there are much fewer women than men!

In mexico, going dancing with a white friend of mine who was about ten years older and an inch taller, much better salsa dancer, we stood out SO much. dancing, we were surrounded by short mexican men, who barley came up to my shoulder. They dressed conservatively, but not geeky or anything. They are very confident, but not the best looking.

The women, loved dancing with us. They clutched to me, were eager to dance with me, squealing with pleasure every time it was their turn to dance with me in the rotation.

people in mexico openly complimented me on my appearance.

I was with my father buying some water when some giggling women behind the counter were interrupted by my father's "que?" their response "Tu eres my guapo" (you are very cute/pretty, as they pointed to me).

a empanada vendor I bought from 2-3 times before, pointed out that her doughter thought I was cute, and then her daughter blushed.
a girl who was part of a big group I met, once she laid eyes on me, and saw that I was talking, in english, to a person she knew, sat near me, attempting to speak in terribly broken english, using the 3rd friend to translate, while she was wracked with anxiety.

Walking down the street, the females would stare at me with big pouty beautiful eyes full of desire, back here, they look down and away, and briskly walk past to block any connection.

The ultimate example:
I was on a bus at the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM) the biggest and best university in all of latin america, I was at their mexico city campus. I had my arms outstreched on the back of the seat next to me, and resting next to the window, taking up all available space.
The bus starts to get a little packed, and as I'm staring out the window waiting to go, I feel something soft brush by my hand.
I look to my right a little and oh my gosh! there's a beautiful female sitting right next to me!
who sat down, with MY arm around HER.
I had never had anything like this happen before in my american experience to prepare me for this, so I immiedatley removed my arm.

I realized I shouldnt've but whats done is done. cant put it back, thatll look weirder.
I ask her for directions "donde esta...?" she quickly answers, making total eye contact, big beautiful blue eyes, spewing out spanish I could hardly understand or remember. I broke eye contact and looked out the bus again. She quickly brought up the conversation again, struggling, practically pleading with me to communicate with her.

No dice. Don't know enough spanish. Right at that moment, I felt the biggest sense of f**k I have ever felt. I wish I took spanish in high school and middle school instead of stupid FRENCH!
alas nothing I can do now.

I could get the ladies, if I could communicate with them!

Here's my plan.
I'm going to teach english, and go to the super cheap university UNAM, which's campus is swarming in hot 18-22 year old girls.
I bought a one way plane ticket to mexico city for my birthday to motivate me.
I'm working for the next 8 months to save up what I can, before I do an indiegogo, and then I'm leaving for good.
Over the next 8 months, I plan to learn spanish, so I can hit the ground running in mexico, theres too many opportunities there to waste! can't wait to go to russia!
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

I'm from Berkeley also and have worked in Silicon Valley. Except for the bay area's natural beauty and ethnic pocket neighborhoods ir's an unlivable place. I leave my house a few times a week and when I do I feel isolated. I can't flirt with any of the college cuties because 100% will reject me. There's nobody to socialize with except people whom are focused on things I have no interrest in. Everything feels sterilized, cold and bland. I plan on going to a church soon, so this will make me happier. But this country is unlivable in the sense that connections between people are so dead.

I went to Mexico by the border for about a week. I was very happy and felt that even though I didn't speak spanish I could talk a lot more to the people. I'd like to visit Guanajuato city this year.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: peeking through the veil, back in hell. going home soon.

Post by Jester »

mlano wrote:I visited DF (mexico city in english) for about two weeks, and oaxaca, oaxaca.....

What I saw there, blew my mind....

In mexico, my father (who I travelled with) said he could spot me easily....

a empanada vendor I bought from 2-3 times before, pointed out that her doughter thought I was cute, and then her daughter blushed...

a girl who was part of a big group I met, once she laid eyes on me, and saw that I was talking, in english, to a person she knew, sat near me, attempting to speak in terribly broken english, using the 3rd friend to translate, while she was wracked with anxiety.

Walking down the street, the females would stare at me with big pouty beautiful eyes full of desire, back here, they look down and away, and briskly walk past to block any connection.

The ultimate example:
I was on a bus at the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM) the biggest and best university in all of latin america, I was at their mexico city campus. I had my arms outstreched on the back of the seat next to me, and resting next to the window, taking up all available space.
The bus starts to get a little packed, and as I'm staring out the window waiting to go, I feel something soft brush by my hand.
I look to my right a little and oh my gosh! there's a beautiful female sitting right next to me!
who sat down, with MY arm around HER.

I had never had anything like this happen before in my american experience to prepare me for this, so I immiedatley removed my arm.

I realized I shouldnt've but whats done is done. cant put it back, thatll look weirder.
I ask her for directions "donde esta...?" she quickly answers, making total eye contact, big beautiful blue eyes, spewing out spanish I could hardly understand or remember. I broke eye contact and looked out the bus again. She quickly brought up the conversation again, struggling, practically pleading with me to communicate with her.

Here's my plan.
I'm going to teach english, and go to the super cheap university UNAM, which's campus is swarming in hot 18-22 year old girls.
I bought a one way plane ticket to mexico city for my birthday to motivate me....
Nice post.

And good on your dad!!!!

Btw I have sons, one in college, plus a couple a little older, all single. Where in Mexico would you suggest I take them?
mlano
Freshman Poster

Where to go in Mexico

Post by mlano »

Well, I would say Mexico City, DF is the best.
Its the cheapest to fly into in the country, because it has the biggest airport.
theres the awesome university your sons would love (that I love too) called UNAM, in mexico city, its accessible by transit super easy.
plus
the gender ratio in mexico city is the highest female to male ratio in the whole country. Look it up.
so the women in general are super flirty there.

If you honestly want to meet someone and thats your main goal not to like see mexico or something (like me), you should WORK ON YOUR SPANISH NOW I swear to god it makes a world of a difference.

I had that beautiful girl sitting right next to me, but I had no f***ing clue how to ask her for her phone number (my phone doesnt even work down there. Make sure yours does.) or do anything. So she just walked off and I felt lame for that, but still happy at the same time, because I had discovered a place like that.

as for learning spanish, go to fluentin3months.com and follow Benny's steps. He can teach you to learn any language regardless of what country you're in.

If you want to move to mexico, maybe you don't need to worry about learning spanish now, because youll learn a lot there. but if you wana go on a short vacation, you need to learn spanish otherwise all your goona get are hookers and random english speaking girls. Don't get me wrong, if hookers are your thing, there are LOTS of hot ones all over the city come night time. I think its pretty cheap too, like 30-60 dollars? my father and I accidentally walked into a sex hotel, like an hourly one. There was this gussied up girl with some weird dude and the guy at the hotels front counter handed her a condom.
I never had one, because being a starving student.

I'm planning on moving and Im going to practice here in the USA. I want the best.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Where to go in Mexico

Post by Jester »

mlano wrote:Well, I would say Mexico City, DF is the best.
Its the cheapest to fly into in the country, because it has the biggest airport.
theres the awesome university your sons would love (that I love too) called UNAM, in mexico city, its accessible by transit super easy.
plus
the gender ratio in mexico city is the highest female to male ratio in the whole country. Look it up.
so the women in general are super flirty there.
Thanks! The D.F. was not on my list, but now (thanks to your comment) it is. Will stop there and look around. Lord knows I have more connections there than Ajijic or Lake Chapala.
mlano wrote: as for learning spanish, go to fluentin3months.com and follow Benny's steps. He can teach you to learn any language regardless of what country you're in.
Will check it out, thanks.

You sound focused and determined. That usually prevails.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

This is should be a memo too high school students, why in the hell would you learn French unless you were going to France or Caribbean???

Spanish is widely spoken around the world, that is much more valuable.

Plus I never hear anybody bragging about French women...
ben dover
Freshman Poster

Post by ben dover »

100% agree. I'm trying to teach myself Spanish at the mo. It seems everybody in Mexico can dance. I was there 4 years ago. I dared not get up on the floor doing the white man's overbite, but it was a delight to watch the natives in action.