Sick of living here. Teaching English in China - Questions.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Renata wrote:They are all right ... CELTA or a Trinity TEFL Certificate is the best TEFL qualification out there ..... but there are countries where you don't need a degree to teach in like Chile & Venezuela. There are others but that's the only 2 I'm certain of. I have a heavy accent too because I'm from the Caribbean, but I developed a mixed accent of american/british due to living in the UK for 2 yrs. I teach English in Turkey, it's great, go for it :)

They taylor a great online TEFL course > http://www.intesoltesoltraining.com/ & offer Teaching Practice, so you get 2 certificates. 1 is your TEFL cert. & the other a Teaching Practice cert. with hours & a grade. They also have a great network, internships etc & a recruitment agency. On their certificates there's no mention of 'online' course it's just a standard certificate with your grade.
Good luck ;)
Thanks!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

lavezzi
Junior Poster

Post by lavezzi »

I bought an extension on my TEFL course. My Korean girlfriend is going home in December. I'll be really upset when she leaves, but I want to be able to enter into my next relationship with a foreign women as soon as possible, which is why I'm doing whatever I can to move to China. Words can't describe what a shit-hole Ireland is/ how poor Irish women are.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

lavezzi wrote:I bought an extension on my TEFL course. My Korean girlfriend is going home in December. I'll be really upset when she leaves, but I want to be able to enter into my next relationship with a foreign women as soon as possible, which is why I'm doing whatever I can to move to China. Words can't describe what a sh**-hole Ireland is/ how poor Irish women are.
Why don't u look for hogwan job in Korea in whatever city your gf is going to so u can continue w/her?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah I thought you could get an English teaching job in Korea, no probs.

Are you and your gf close? Or is she gonna date Western men but then marry a Korean man like her parents will want her to do.

There are still plenty of teaching jobs out there. Mind you it's hard work and you've got pushy Asian parents who need their kids to get 99% in their English exams so they can go to a good uni, get a good job etc. etc.

I might try a bit of unofficial teaching in China, but I don't think I'd like to do it full time.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

Glad to see you've rekindled your desire to go to China, that temporary 'enlightenment phase' where 'it doesn't matter where you are' has sorta worn out I guess? If you liked this Korean girl, you haven't seen nothing yet, the girls in China will rock your world, you have lots to look forward to in China.

As with everything in life, there are differing opinions on every subject and if I were you I'll just take the negative views on middlekingdomlife.com with a pinch of salt - China's not for everyone, some like it some don't and it also depends on circumstances and luck, but this is the case with many places out there. I am pretty sure you'd prefer it to anywhere in the anglosphere though. I have quite a few friends teaching in China and loving their time and relative freedom there.

Keep us updated on your plans.

lavezzi wrote:I bought an extension on my TEFL course. My Korean girlfriend is going home in December. I'll be really upset when she leaves, but I want to be able to enter into my next relationship with a foreign women as soon as possible, which is why I'm doing whatever I can to move to China. Words can't describe what a sh**-hole Ireland is/ how poor Irish women are.
lavezzi
Junior Poster

Post by lavezzi »

My Korean girlfriend has some very nice qualities, but she's quite robotic and not very passionate which I think is typical for NE Asians. She just wants to spend time with me while she's here and yes, she'd never be the type to go for a Western guy in any other circumstances. She's heaven on earth in comparison to Irish women, but if I was in Asia and had options I think I'd search for a girl who has a bit more of a romantic sense. It sounds funny for a guy on HA to be saying this, but I believe she's actually too physically attractive, hence she's used to being bombarded with male attention so she doesn't appreciate me as much as an average looking Asian girl would, which is what I'd like to go for.

I'm not ready to live a monk life-style of total isolation just yet. I'm a lot less bothered by life-circumstances than the average Westerner, but I feel very much suited to having an Asian girlfriend to spend time with; it just really makes life great and if I can have that I'll be more than fulfilled even if the work is tedious and the pay minimal.

I have 29 days to do a 60 hour course and around €1,000 to get me flown over there and set up. Also once I'm in China I'll be able to actually contribute information to this site other than spiritual BS than no one other than Winston cares about lol.
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

See if you can learn a bit of basic Chinese before you go Lavezzi, it's not essential but it'd certainly help a lot. Waitresses and taxi drivers in China generally don't speak English, but of course you can always show the taxi driver the written name of your destination or with waitresses you can point to the the food item you want on menus.

Which part of China are you thinking of visiting?
lavezzi
Junior Poster

Post by lavezzi »

ethan_sg wrote:See if you can learn a bit of basic Chinese before you go Lavezzi, it's not essential but it'd certainly help a lot. Waitresses and taxi drivers in China generally don't speak English, but of course you can always show the taxi driver the written name of your destination or with waitresses you can point to the the food item you want on menus.

Which part of China are you thinking of visiting?
I'm not sure. Perhaps a medium sized city, not too big or small which would still be a mega city in comparison to Dublin which has a 1.5 mil population. You're right, going in there without any Chinese would be a nightmare but I'll get through it in the end. I was homeless in NYC so it can't really get too much worse than that. Do you think meeting a Chinese girl from a dating site would be a good idea? That would be a good way of having a guide and translator. A lot of the Chinese girls I've talked to on dateinasia seem to have good English. Are Chinese girls generally sincere or are there a lot of scammers?