Mobile Phones in Asia

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
mtg_mike
Freshman Poster

Mobile Phones in Asia

Post by mtg_mike »

Can anyone enlighten me as to mobile phone solutions for long term stays in or relocation to Asian countries, particularly Thailand, China, and Vietnam? More specifically, I have an iPhone which I would like to continue using, but I'm looking to live cheap rather than dropping loads of US dollars on ATT international plans aimed at businessmen. If I relocate will I have to get a new phone locally or can I jailbreak my iPhone and use local service providers / simcards in Asia?
***JP***
Freshman Poster

Re: Mobile Phones in Asia

Post by ***JP*** »

mtg_mike wrote:Can anyone enlighten me as to mobile phone solutions for long term stays in or relocation to Asian countries, particularly Thailand, China, and Vietnam? More specifically, I have an iPhone which I would like to continue using, but I'm looking to live cheap rather than dropping loads of US dollars on ATT international plans aimed at businessmen. If I relocate will I have to get a new phone locally or can I jailbreak my iPhone and use local service providers / simcards in Asia?

Well if your contract is over and done with At&t you can call customer service for them to give you the sim unlock code. Another alternative is that you sell the iPhone and buy a factory unlocked one. Here's a site I know of that sells factory unlocked phones. http://www.expansys-usa.com/ Also if you consider other platforms you can get the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on the google play store for $349.00 the phone is factory unlocked and it comes with a pentaband radio so it will work on any HSPA+ carrier in the US and around the world.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Mobile Phones in Asia

Post by Jester »

***JP*** wrote:
Well if your contract is over and done with At&t you can call customer service for them to give you the sim unlock code. Another alternative is that you sell the iPhone and buy a factory unlocked one. Here's a site I know of that sells factory unlocked phones. http://www.expansys-usa.com/ Also if you consider other platforms you can get the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on the google play store for $349.00 the phone is factory unlocked and it comes with a pentaband radio so it will work on any HSPA+ carrier in the US and around the world.
Thanks!
mtg_mike
Freshman Poster

Post by mtg_mike »

Hey, thought I'd follow up on this.

I unlocked my iPhone 3gs using something called Absinthe. It was really easy, just backed it up, plugged it into my computer, went to the website, and the rest was taken care of via the browser pretty much.

I haven't tried using a different sim card as I'm still using my US carrier right now, but I'm going to Scotland in a few weeks and I plan to test it out over there.