U.K. girl my experience

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
mattyman
Junior Poster

Post by mattyman »

Exeter is a nice place. I actually have cousins that live in the cathedral close who I haven't seen for ages. When I last went to plymouth it seemed moderately-high chavy whilst weymouth is saturated.
I always get the feeling like I can't even glance at a girl in the street for fear of her thinking I'm a perv or something, let alone trying to chat them up etc.
I would agree with you there mate. You'd have to be mad to approach one of those girls in the street. I read your post about being told to 'f**k off' in a club. There have been times where I've tried to initiate conversation with girls in clubs and smiled at them only to reciev cringes in return. The young women here are stupidly unapproachable and paranoid.
Funny thing is though, that if you complain about such things you're told that you're the problem, as if everyone is hardwired or doped to blame any dissident that steps out of line. For some wierd reason it's ok for women to be as unapproachable as an angry bull yet it's the mans fault for not trying hard enough. It's the mans fault that she's unapproachable. The man's supposed to take responsibility not just for himself, but for the appalling paranoia, anti-sociality and unapproachability of modern women as well.

If you ever bring this up in most circumstances people just try to justify the anti-social behaviour of the women and give a lilly-livered excuse that 'you're too shy' or 'don't get out enough'. The great thing about this forum is that you can bring up topics like this without fear of such ridicule.
I have met a few women from mainland Europe and they've always seemed better to me. German, French, Spanish, Swiss. Have you met many? There's an Italian couple who live downstairs from me and the girl seems really nice. I want to go abroad soon...not even sure where yet but I want to go somewhere.
Yes I have actually. When I was in college I used to hang out with a nice austrian girl.
Back in 2009 I went on a spanish course in Malaga with students from all over europe. I stayed in an apartment with two german girls when I was there. They were lovely. In fact, all the women there were much better than anything I'd been used to prior. I went to France last year for a holiday. One thing I noticed was that a lot of the young women didn't seem to carry that paranoid, men are creeps vibe around with them. When, in cafes for instance, I was served by a young women, they'd always smile and talk in a really sweet way (I always had a go at french of course). I didn't notice any chavy trash (except for the occassional british holidaymaker lol).

In general, it's fair to say that young women from the continent are better. Every single one I have met from mainland europe is much more social, cultured and approachable than your average badly brought-up british princess.
walrusface
Freshman Poster

Post by walrusface »

mattyman wrote:Exeter is a nice place. I actually have cousins that live in the cathedral close who I haven't seen for ages. When I last went to plymouth it seemed moderately-high chavy whilst weymouth is saturated.
I always get the feeling like I can't even glance at a girl in the street for fear of her thinking I'm a perv or something, let alone trying to chat them up etc.
I would agree with you there mate. You'd have to be mad to approach one of those girls in the street. I read your post about being told to 'f**k off' in a club. There have been times where I've tried to initiate conversation with girls in clubs and smiled at them only to reciev cringes in return. The young women here are stupidly unapproachable and paranoid.
Funny thing is though, that if you complain about such things you're told that you're the problem, as if everyone is hardwired or doped to blame any dissident that steps out of line. For some wierd reason it's ok for women to be as unapproachable as an angry bull yet it's the mans fault for not trying hard enough. It's the mans fault that she's unapproachable. The man's supposed to take responsibility not just for himself, but for the appalling paranoia, anti-sociality and unapproachability of modern women as well.
Yeah exactly. After that experience of being told to 'f**k off', I haven't even gone near a girl in a club. I actually thought she was smiling at me a bit, and she seemed fairly decent so I made an effort. Like you said though it just seems to go without saying that they are like that, people laugh about it and stuff, and there was even an advert where a man merely tries dancing next to a girl and she rudely tells him where to go. Also men think they are to blame somehow, like they're not approaching them 'correctly', which is why so many of them resort to things like Pick Up Artists techniques.

The Spanish course sounds good. I'd like to do something like that. Where did you go in France? That reminds me of a time I approached a group of French girls who were on holiday over here. They were pretty friendly. I was trying out the limited amount of French I know.
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

walrusface wrote: Yeah exactly. After that experience of being told to 'f**k off', I haven't even gone near a girl in a club. I actually thought she was smiling at me a bit, and she seemed fairly decent so I made an effort. Like you said though it just seems to go without saying that they are like that, people laugh about it and stuff, and there was even an advert where a man merely tries dancing next to a girl and she rudely tells him where to go. Also men think they are to blame somehow, like they're not approaching them 'correctly', which is why so many of them resort to things like Pick Up Artists techniques.

The Spanish course sounds good. I'd like to do something like that. Where did you go in France? That reminds me of a time I approached a group of French girls who were on holiday over here. They were pretty friendly. I was trying out the limited amount of French I know.
Haha you guys talking about Plymouth. I lived there, I went to the university very recently. I loved it there! It was a bit rough, but before that I lived in west Cornwall so to me it was exciting to be in a city, not just see tractors and farmland, lol. Did you ever go to Veggie Perrins, the small Indian restaurant? The best restaurant I have visited to this date, ever. Whenever I go there I visit it, and the Canadian Muffin shop. Bringing back memories...

Anyway... I have never, ever seen a girl be abusive to an interested man. Is this common or something that just stood out in your mind? I don't go out much myself, though- too many drunks and chavs. It doesn't feel nice, just a horrible atmosphere to go out late now. I'd rather see friends in daytime, eat out somewhere, or go to someone's house. One of the last nights I went out, a Vicky Pollard type (about 40, though) was threatening to punch anyone near. Rough as all hell.

If you are unable to go abroad right now, why don't you try the local Eastern European girls? A lot better alternative to a ladette, and there's so many around. Any local cafe has them, and every town has an Eastern European food shop. You could go there and ask for advice on what to buy to try out their cuisine. I do it, and they love to talk about their country.

To brush up on your French, try http://www.livemocha.com. I'm improving my French there with the free basic course, but there aren't many French speakers on it, unfortunately. Spanish would be easier in terms of finding people to help you on there.
walrusface
Freshman Poster

Post by walrusface »

BellaRuth wrote:
Haha you guys talking about Plymouth. I lived there, I went to the university very recently. I loved it there! It was a bit rough, but before that I lived in west Cornwall so to me it was exciting to be in a city, not just see tractors and farmland, lol. Did you ever go to Veggie Perrins, the small Indian restaurant? The best restaurant I have visited to this date, ever. Whenever I go there I visit it, and the Canadian Muffin shop. Bringing back memories...

Anyway... I have never, ever seen a girl be abusive to an interested man. Is this common or something that just stood out in your mind? I don't go out much myself, though- too many drunks and chavs. It doesn't feel nice, just a horrible atmosphere to go out late now. I'd rather see friends in daytime, eat out somewhere, or go to someone's house. One of the last nights I went out, a Vicky Pollard type (about 40, though) was threatening to punch anyone near. Rough as all hell.

If you are unable to go abroad right now, why don't you try the local Eastern European girls? A lot better alternative to a ladette, and there's so many around. Any local cafe has them, and every town has an Eastern European food shop. You could go there and ask for advice on what to buy to try out their cuisine. I do it, and they love to talk about their country.

To brush up on your French, try http://www.livemocha.com. I'm improving my French there with the free basic course, but there aren't many French speakers on it, unfortunately. Spanish would be easier in terms of finding people to help you on there.
Hi Bellaruth. I grew up in Plymouth and just have bad memories of it. Although I did have some good times as well. I just always felt like a fish out of water there. Virtually everyone there is a proper Janner lol. If you were at uni there you probably experienced a nicer side, the North Hill area isn't too bad. I never went to Veggie Perrins, it's a good name though. Where do you live now?

Well I don't approach many girls because I'm not the most confident person in the world, and especially with these bad experiences and the way they are in clubs...they seem a bit brash and aggressive. I'm not keen on the clubbing scene either and never really have been. I just mainly saw it as a possible way of meeting women. I think I might have been a bit unlucky with that reaction I got, maybe she thought I said something pervy or something because maybe she's used to that and expects it. I wasn't though i was just trying to make polite conversation. From what my friends have told me I don't think it's uncommon for them to be a bit rude when approached. It's as if they get pissed off by it. I think mainly though the reaction for them is just to be a bit cold / unfriendly / unreceptive.

I know there's a lot of Polish people over here. I've never really thought of approaching girls in the cold light of day. I agree though it would make a nice alternative to the typical ladette lol.

Thanks for the livemocha site, I will have a look at that. Have you heard of Michel Thomas? He's really good at teaching languages, he does audio series for lots of different languages. I made a start on his French one.
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

walrusface wrote:Hi Bellaruth. I grew up in Plymouth and just have bad memories of it. Although I did have some good times as well. I just always felt like a fish out of water there. Virtually everyone there is a proper Janner lol. If you were at uni there you probably experienced a nicer side, the North Hill area isn't too bad. I never went to Veggie Perrins, it's a good name though. Where do you live now?
The Midlands :( Nah, it's not too bad, but you miss the sea air and sense of freedom once you're out of the south-west. I'm near Birmingham now. Tad grim.

When you go back to Plymouth you MUST visit Veggie Perrins! He sells Indian food, absolutely amazing, very cheap, it's all vegetarian, but you wouldn't notice. I didn't. I used to have the 'mixed daal' with egg fried rice. Cannot go wrong. And onion bhajis as starter. Best. Ever. Can you feel my enthusiasm coming through? Lol!

Yeah I just hung around uni, Drake Circus and lived the area opposite train station. I just remember Plymouth as waking up at 6am to go jogging in beautiful Central Park, with all the flowers... surreal... hot chocolate at that red cafe in Barbican (they melt dark and white together to make milk chocolate), Spud U Like (I'm easy to please. Their cottage cheese n chive deal is great) and the Canadian Muffin place. I noticed there was a definite 'bad side of town' where all the dregs rolled out. I stayed clear!
Well I don't approach many girls because I'm not the most confident person in the world, and especially with these bad experiences and the way they are in clubs...they seem a bit brash and aggressive. I'm not keen on the clubbing scene either and never really have been. I just mainly saw it as a possible way of meeting women.
Well if you're not confident you don't want to go to a nightclub which is usually full of chavvy lasses with WKDs. I'm scared of them and all I want to do is dance! Don't be nervous about Eastern Europeans, and go for daytime. Just pop over to a place where you know there'll be some nice girls from the Baltics. Ask her where she's from, that you noticed her accent, how long she has been here, does she like it, does she miss her country, does she want to see you after to go to wherever and have a drink? Or miss out last question and keep coming back in 'til it's so darned obvious and you feel ready to say it. I think it will be easier than it seems. And report back! Haha.
Thanks for the livemocha site, I will have a look at that. Have you heard of Michel Thomas? He's really good at teaching languages, he does audio series for lots of different languages. I made a start on his French one.

Not heard of him unfortunately, I'm skint so I can't pay for anything yet, hence Livemocha. If you join it, PM me your page. It's not that I can help, but I'm learning both French and Spanish so we can both struggle with them! My French accent would probably get me killed if I try it out there, but my Spanish is coming along nicely thanks to the site.
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

@ BellaRuth

that's good that your learning Spanish. By speaking spanish South America and a couple of carribean countries are yours basically.

I'm so lucky to have growned up speaking spanish fluently. Im learning portuguese at livemocha, but i think i'll buy rosetta stone since i want to be fluent in the language and it has good reviews.

Buena suerte
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

well-informed wrote:@ BellaRuth

that's good that your learning Spanish. By speaking spanish South America and a couple of carribean countries are yours basically.

I'm so lucky to have growned up speaking spanish fluently. Im learning portuguese at livemocha, but i think i'll buy rosetta stone since i want to be fluent in the language and it has good reviews.
I love learning languages and Spanish is the one I find easiest. Also, my boyfriend is Colombian so I get some practise when I listen to him talk to his family, etc. Spain is one of my favourite countries too, I might live there in the future.
walrusface
Freshman Poster

Post by walrusface »

BellaRuth wrote: The Midlands :( Nah, it's not too bad, but you miss the sea air and sense of freedom once you're out of the south-west. I'm near Birmingham now. Tad grim.
Oh ok, my friend is from Solihull. I went there a few years back, it is a nice place. A lot posher than the rest of Birmingham haha.
BellaRuth wrote: When you go back to Plymouth you MUST visit Veggie Perrins! He sells Indian food, absolutely amazing, very cheap, it's all vegetarian, but you wouldn't notice. I didn't. I used to have the 'mixed daal' with egg fried rice. Cannot go wrong. And onion bhajis as starter. Best. Ever. Can you feel my enthusiasm coming through? Lol!
Sounds nice, I'll have to check it out next time I'm there. :)
BellaRuth wrote: Well if you're not confident you don't want to go to a nightclub which is usually full of chavvy lasses with WKDs. I'm scared of them and all I want to do is dance! Don't be nervous about Eastern Europeans, and go for daytime. Just pop over to a place where you know there'll be some nice girls from the Baltics. Ask her where she's from, that you noticed her accent, how long she has been here, does she like it, does she miss her country, does she want to see you after to go to wherever and have a drink? Or miss out last question and keep coming back in 'til it's so darned obvious and you feel ready to say it. I think it will be easier than it seems. And report back! Haha.
Yeah clubbing is not really my scene. I don't seem to be able to handle the hangovers very well these days either. I'm not sure where the Eastern Europeans go. I know there is a Polish shop not that far away, it's actually called 'Polish Shop'...I take it it's for Polish people rather than a shop that sells shoe polish. I could have have a go at what you suggested...and if I do I will make sure I will report back. ;)
BellaRuth wrote: Not heard of him unfortunately, I'm skint so I can't pay for anything yet, hence Livemocha. If you join it, PM me your page. It's not that I can help, but I'm learning both French and Spanish so we can both struggle with them! My French accent would probably get me killed if I try it out there, but my Spanish is coming along nicely thanks to the site.

Ok cool I will join. :) Your French accent is probably better than mine haha. I wouldn't mind having a go at Spanish as well.
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

walrusface wrote:Oh ok, my friend is from Solihull. I went there a few years back, it is a nice place. A lot posher than the rest of Birmingham haha.
I was born in Solihull! It's gone a bit downhill now actually. The houses are big and beautiful, but the people are a bit... what I imagine Essex is like :) I've been out there a few times (on the night), but wouldn't bother again. That's one of my main bugbears about the UK- the atmosphere on a night out, the fighting, the obsession with kebabs at unearthly hours. No one I know goes out anymore, to be honest. I used to hate just walking back home from my Christmas job at a waitress recently with all the screaming banshees in their miniskirts. Shudder.
I'm not sure where the Eastern Europeans go. I know there is a Polish shop not that far away, it's actually called 'Polish Shop'...I take it it's for Polish people rather than a shop that sells shoe polish. I could have have a go at what you suggested...and if I do I will make sure I will report back. ;)
Or look for, I dunno, Costa, Caffe Nero, Starbucks, or a local coffee shop- on a weekday or a Sunday late when it's quiet so you don't feel like a nuisance holding up the queue, see if you can pick up an accent, and go for it. I had an absurdly long convo with a nice Romanian girl selling baguettes in Birmingham centre not long ago. They love to talk about their country, and if was a Brit abroad, I'd be happy to have interest shown in my country too. It's a great starting point.

Now the summer is coming up, I don't know if you're thinking about travelling. I'm going for it this year. One good idea is to try summer schools. You get accommodation sorted, a group of people to talk to straightaway, and you learn something (for instance, a bit of the language). I have been drooling over this one for three years now: http://summerschool.tlu.ee/russian-language/ There's sure to be some great little French courses in France, if that's the country that appeals to you. Win-win. I want to go to France this year- I've been to Normandy, which was... not great... and now I'd like to try Nice, perhaps. We are so very lucky to have all these other countries easily accessible!
walrusface
Freshman Poster

Post by walrusface »

BellaRuth wrote: I was born in Solihull! It's gone a bit downhill now actually. The houses are big and beautiful, but the people are a bit... what I imagine Essex is like :) I've been out there a few times (on the night), but wouldn't bother again. That's one of my main bugbears about the UK- the atmosphere on a night out, the fighting, the obsession with kebabs at unearthly hours. No one I know goes out anymore, to be honest. I used to hate just walking back home from my Christmas job at a waitress recently with all the screaming banshees in their miniskirts. Shudder.
Yeah some of the houses are massive in Solihull. In some gardens there were trees that seemed like they were about 100 metres tall! I know what you mean, nights out here do seem to have an agressive atmosphere about them.
I would think Solihull is better than Essex lol, although I think you do get a few good parts of Essex.
Or look for, I dunno, Costa, Caffe Nero, Starbucks, or a local coffee shop- on a weekday or a Sunday late when it's quiet so you don't feel like a nuisance holding up the queue, see if you can pick up an accent, and go for it. I had an absurdly long convo with a nice Romanian girl selling baguettes in Birmingham centre not long ago. They love to talk about their country, and if was a Brit abroad, I'd be happy to have interest shown in my country too. It's a great starting point.
That seems like a good idea. There's probably more foreigners in Birmingham than down here, but you do get a fair few here. I just hope I would get an ok response.
The summer school things sounds good. I am thinking of travelling and I wouldn't mind doing something like that. Hopefully I will be able to go to France sometime this year as well. Maybe I should avoid Normandy :) The south has always looked good to me. Nice seems...nice ;). I wouldn't mind spending the colder months here in hotter places like that.
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

Adama wrote:Sorry, but I disagree. UK = US, just a different accent. Same with Ireland and Australia.

Good luck.
I'm with Adama on this, taken out of their natural habitat sure they probably fine, I met a lovely English girl in Sydney, however living here they are totally westernized and much like American Women they are not good news, and most are not pretty either, you cannot even compare to Europe where you see hundereds of beautiful girls.

I can go out in my local town on a night out and see maybe 1 girl who is a 6/10 plus, yes 1 girl! and I live in a fairly big tourist town in the South.
***JP***
Freshman Poster

Post by ***JP*** »

Like I said on previous posts. I wouldn't touch an English girl with a stick or any girl from the western world Canada, US, UK, Australia or even ireland. These women are toxic. Plus from my experience with English women they are all sluts who cheat, play games and are a bunch of drug addicts and alcoholics.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

***JP*** wrote:Like I said on previous posts. I wouldn't touch an English girl with a stick or any girl from the western world Canada, US, UK, Australia or even ireland. These women are toxic. Plus from my experience with English women they are all sluts who cheat, play games and are a bunch of drug addicts and alcoholics.
Stereotypes...not all are like that. Agreed though, British white girls don't top my list of people I would marry any time soon.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Winston wrote:That's amazing. Yeah UK girls seem so relaxed and down to earth. I wonder why so many lump UK girls and US girls in the same category?
Because they tend to like the same type of men American women do... The main difference is that IR is more widely accepted in the UK than in America.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

publicduende wrote:
***JP*** wrote:Like I said on previous posts. I wouldn't touch an English girl with a stick or any girl from the western world Canada, US, UK, Australia or even ireland. These women are toxic. Plus from my experience with English women they are all sluts who cheat, play games and are a bunch of drug addicts and alcoholics.
Stereotypes...not all are like that. Agreed though, British white girls don't top my list of people I would marry any time soon.
Shrug, my cousin is married a very attractive British woman, 5 kids, one with severe physical problems. Been married at least 15-20 years now.

Likely helps my cousin played football professionally, now an Insurance Broker.

My problem with UK women is they aren't "different" enough from American women. The majority of women I have talked too in the UK are not Anglo Saxon, they are Eastern European immigrants...