Is food in Thailand really that cheap?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

It's still pretty cheap as of last year I paid around £20 a night in many places of good quality but just bed and breakfast, and girls I never paid more than 1000 to 1500 baht for all night...

The difference is, the girls stay with you all night, give you a full GFE and you can have sex many times, there is no way you will get this with a $250 whore in the US and she will hate every minute of it, whereas in Thailand there is some hope you may become boyfriend to the girl.

Check out Pattaya Addicts forum, its full of pics and advice.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Can't speak for Thailand, but in China a set meal in a Japanese noodle chain was around 28RMB (around $4). That was for soup, rice and a main dish (fish, ramen, stir-fry), plus as much tea as you could drink.

Food ain't cheap anywhere in the world anymore. The other day I found an old shopping receipt from 2002 - my groceries cost around half what they do now!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

ringspun wrote:It's still pretty cheap as of last year I paid around £20 a night in many places of good quality but just bed and breakfast, and girls I never paid more than 1000 to 1500 baht for all night...

The difference is, the girls stay with you all night, give you a full GFE and you can have sex many times, there is no way you will get this with a $250 whore in the US and she will hate every minute of it, whereas in Thailand there is some hope you may become boyfriend to the girl.

Interesting here, in all the talk about food and prostitutes, it's all about eating in restaurants or "street food" and the girls are also
all for sale. You will typically have marginal to BAD outcomes for both over time and you will always be paying the transient price.

Most restaurant food in the Philippines is not that great and it hardly matters. "Food" for us refers to what actual food costs are in markets,and here, all but imported foods are cheap to reasonable, and the meals range from good to totally gourmet at the Outwest cafe known as our home kitchen.

How different your life is when you are eating home cooked meals with fresh local ingredients and wake up every morning to
a "local girl" who has never seen the inside of a cat house and never would have considered it. It is a much better formula for really being "Happier abroad".

Outwest
Last edited by OutWest on September 24th, 2012, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

OutWest wrote:
ringspun wrote:It's still pretty cheap as of last year I paid around £20 a night in many places of good quality but just bed and breakfast, and girls I never paid more than 1000 to 1500 baht for all night...

Interesting here, in all the talk about food and hoes, it's all about eating in restaurants or "street food" and the girls are also
all for sale. You will typically have marginal to BAD outcomes for both over time and you will always be paying the transient price.

Most restaurant food in the Philippines is not that great and it hardly matters. "Food" for us refers to what actual food costs are in markets,and here, all but imported foods are cheap to reasonable, and the meals range from good to totally gourmet at the Outwest cafe known as our home kitchen.

How different your life is when you are eating home cooked meals with fresh local ingredients and wake up every morning to
a "local girl" who has never seen the inside of a cat house and never would have considered it. It is a much better formula for really being "Happier abroad".

Outwest
I couldn't agree more!
ClearView
Freshman Poster

Post by ClearView »

There is a LOT of cheap and good Thai food in Thailand. Prices rise when you're looking for Western food.

Bangkok is generally more but if you come to Chiang Mai you can get reasonably priced western food at places like "the Dukes". Chicken fried chicken for 7 dollars, burgers range from 3 dollars to 8 dollars. Steaks are more because they are imported from Australia (Thai steak is like an old boot). Pizzas range from 6 dollars for a small (that feeds 2 small eaters or one larger eater) to something like 12 dollars for a large which is more like a party size pizza.

Salsa Kitchen you can get Mexican food, not sure if it is authentic but it is good. Average meal price is 5 dollars and it is filling. There are other Mexican options but I don't like them though some do.

Funan is a French place. Cordon Bleu with pan fried potatoes for 7 dollars. Same dish in Australia would go for 30 dollar easy. Tartifllete is the same price.

If we get to Thai food the best that I've had anywhere including Bangkok is in Chiang Mai at a little place to the north of the old city. It doesn't even have a name but the guy ran restaurants in Australia for 6 years with his parents before moving back here. The average price for his Thai dishes is 1 dollar and it is not only very clean but has no msg as he is allergic to it. In the same area is also a grilled chicken place where pieces of chicken go for 50 cents. I am the only westerner in there and it averages about 150 thais at peak times.

All the Thai places I go to are not frequented by Westerners but by Thais and are in non touristy places which is probably why they don't serve the slop that they give tourists.

I avoid everything and anything around the Tapae Gate area or the Night Bazaar - tourist traps and slop houses and crap food.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Now we're talking...FOOD.

First, Thai street food is fine as long as you remember to go to places that have customers and that look clean. I've never been sick in 17 years of living here. Never. If the food is too spicy ask them to make it Mai Phet or not spicy. Very easy.

If I order Thai food, I'll ask for the "Phised" which is basically a larger size of a meal. It costs an extra 5 baht. I'm usually full after eating Thai from a street vendor or shop house.

I tend to mix my meals up, eating a lot of fruit (coconut juice, pineapples, watermelon), Thai food, pasta, and other western food.

I had a double cheeseburger from McDonald's two or three days ago - 79 baht ($2.70).

Two pizzas at Narai Pizza (Excellent pizza) plus two sodas with refills - 600 baht ($20.65)

Excellent crispy Oyster omelet from one of the best shop house restaurants in Bangkok

Boat Noodle Soup (Tasty and filling - 30baht / $1)

Coconut Ice Cream - 20/25 baht (less than a dollar)

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

I eat where the Thais eat, not at the large fancy franchise restaurants and touristy places.

Almost all of my filling meals in Bangkok have been under 100 Thai baht ($3.33 USD). Most of the time they range from 30 baht ($1) to 80 baht ($2.66).

A bottled drink should be 15 to 20 baht, or just over 50 cents.

A regular-sized bag of insects is 20 baht, or 66 cents.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I haven't found China to be particularly cheap for food.

What you get here is low quality food. Meat with bones in, rice with the husks left in, not to mention contaminated food.

Take that into account... no it's not cheap here at all.

The supermarket has cheap vegetables, but only if you want to buy a pepper with a hole in it or green potatoes.

The only thing that is having me money is beer prices. But that's more to do with the UK government putting so much tax on alcohol.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
innovatorsclub
Freshman Poster

Post by innovatorsclub »

you guys keep thinking that Thailand isn't a good deal.. I will continue to clean up, eat amazing food for 35 baht ( about a dollar) and date young and petite women while spending about $2.50 on dinner dates in places like terminal 21
innovatorsclub
Freshman Poster

Post by innovatorsclub »

few of you would even believe how many girls I slept with last month there but many of them were lonely. Many american guys can remain in the box and talk about baseball to try and offset their very dull lives but I will remain outside the box with no regrets later in life. Most guys are going to have VERY VERY BIG regrets later because they weren't man enough to step outside the box..Slept with two new girls my last night and spent not one dime that whole night except for the amazing hotel room with a pool on the roof for $30
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

innovatorsclub wrote:few of you would even believe how many girls I slept with last month there but many of them were lonely. Many american guys can remain in the box and talk about baseball to try and offset their very dull lives but I will remain outside the box with no regrets later in life. Most guys are going to have VERY VERY BIG regrets later because they weren't man enough to step outside the box..Slept with two new girls my last night and spent not one dime that whole night except for the amazing hotel room with a pool on the roof for $30
I believe you because I've done it. I slept with 100 in 30 days once when I first got her. Some were paid, some were not, but it was like shooting ducks in a wading pool. Too damn easy.

Also, in response to this thread, Thai food is cheap if you know where to eat. I get tired of eating at street stalls and shop houses but there's all sorts of cuisines available in all price ranges.

BTW - while there is a little Filipino food that is tasty, the vast majority is crap, fatty and oily.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

After being back in the U.S. awhile I have to say that Thai food is really not that cheap. The quality is definitely a step below what you can find in the U.S. as far as fresh ingredients goes. The thai food that you eat at regular Thai joints tends to be cooked in low grade oil like palm or leftover soy. There are a ton of asian food supermarkets where I live in the U.S. so it's easy to get everything you need to make Thai food at basically the same price as you would get it off the street in Thailand.

I definitely feel healthier being back in the U.S. but I still miss Thailand quite a bit.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Thailand is more expensive than China, I know that much.

Having said that I'm having to use 7-11's more here, and there expensive anywhere.

The good news is that Thailand's food is higher quality, which is a major plus.