New look forum is boring, plain and sterile

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
Banano
Veteran Poster

New look forum is boring, plain and sterile

Post by Banano »

Pls change it back, it reminds me of rooshv,

Old version had more punch and excitment

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

I got the new look when accessing this forum from a public terminal, but not with my own computer. Go figure. :P
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

How can that be? The forum looks the same. What browser are you using?

The forum has not been changed. It looks like the new Android App I installed is redirecting some of you from your browsers to the Android app.

?flx-redirection=mobile

Or is it the iPhone App?

touchbb.php

Also, what kind of browser are you using when that happens? And what version? Can you try upgrading your browsers to the latest version?
Last edited by Winston on October 20th, 2012, 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Whatever u did seems to have contaminated the format for some browsers! It's totally different on Firefox and Apple (no Avatars and completely different look) but seems to be the same in IE. At least that's what I've experienced today.
***JP***
Freshman Poster

Post by ***JP*** »

Rock wrote:Whatever u did seems to have contaminated the format for some browsers! It's totally different on Firefox and Apple (no Avatars and completely different look) but seems to be the same in IE. At least that's what I've experienced today.

Actually the forum looks the same to me using Safari but I've seen the glitch also on Firefox where no matter how many times I click on the desktop mode it stays on mobile mode.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock wrote:Whatever u did seems to have contaminated the format for some browsers! It's totally different on Firefox and Apple (no Avatars and completely different look) but seems to be the same in IE. At least that's what I've experienced today.
I tried Firefox and it looked the same. I don't know what's going on. I emailed the developer of the Android App to see if he can help with this problem.

Is the new version at least functional? Do you see all the features?

Rock, can you test the forum on your iPhone? On your iPhone, do you still get redirected to the touchbb iPhone version, or the Android version? Look at the address bar when you get redirected and let me know what it shows.

How many of you browse this forum from an Android? How important to you all is an Android app for this forum?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I see the Android version in Mozilla. It's unusable. Why do you have a mobile version of the forum? Mobile users never spend money or click on ads, so they're a waste of time.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

xiongmao wrote:I see the Android version in Mozilla. It's unusable. Why do you have a mobile version of the forum? Mobile users never spend money or click on ads, so they're a waste of time.
They won't see ads. I have it so that people can browse here from their mobile, for convenience. Why is it unusable?

I spent a lot of time yesterday installing the Android app for you guys. Let me try to find a solution first, before I uninstall it.

Can someone post screen shots of what they see in this new version?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I got a message from the developer. He said this:

"My device detection is based on User-Agent string. I believe the problem is caused when my code identify some desktop web browser User-Agent as mobile ones. Could you ask these users send their User-Agent string to you, and then you forward to me, so I can improve my code? End users can find their web browser User-Agent from some free online tools, such as this one: http://www.iopus.com/imacros/demo/v5/user-agent.htm You can use Good to find more tools."

I don't know what a User Agent string is, but can you guys try to find out what your user string is, those of you who are seeing the new version that is? He said to go here:

http://www.iopus.com/imacros/demo/v5/user-agent.htm

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The developer told me that those of you on the mobile version on your PC can do this to disable it:

"To disable Mobile Online phpBB2 from desktop web browser, end users can select Option at index page up left corner, and then click go to desktop version within Option page."

Try that and see if it disables the mobile version.

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Winston wrote:The developer told me that those of you on the mobile version on your PC can do this to disable it:

"To disable Mobile Online phpBB2 from desktop web browser, end users can select Option at index page up left corner, and then click go to desktop version within Option page."

Try that and see if it disables the mobile version.
I use a Mac and I am getting the mobile version while using Firefox and Opera browsers. The original forum still shows up on the other browsers.

I tried using the option and selecting desktop version but it doesn't work and still shows the shitty looking mobile version.

I concur that the mobile version is shit, but I guess that's why it's considered the mobile version.

Firefox user string: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1

Opera: Opera/9.80 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8.2; U; en) Presto/2.10.289 Version/12.02
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Thanks Mr S. I will forward those user strings to the developer.

When you are in the mobile version on your PC, can you tell me what it says in terms of the platform its on? Does it say Flexplat or TouchBB?

Does the shitty version have buttons and colors? Can someone post a screen shot of it?

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Winston wrote:Thanks Mr S. I will forward those user strings to the developer.

When you are in the mobile version on your PC, can you tell me what it says in terms of the platform its on? Does it say Flexplat or TouchBB?

Does the shitty version have buttons and colors? Can someone post a screen shot of it?
I'm using a Mac not a PC. Where do you find the platform info?

The button colors are baby blue, background white/grey, font is in black. No graphics just basic functionality.

How do you upload an image directly from a computer to the forum? I only know how to link from webpages.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

It's slower, but at least it's working again.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

Now, it's stuck back in sucktacular mode.