Update: WE ARE BACK ONLINE! The Forum has been RESTORED! See announcement here. If there are any problems or issues, please report them in the announcement thread. Note: Unfortunately I was not able to import the posts made after the crash (on Sept 18) into the restored forum. However, I exported all the posts submitted after the crash into a Word file, so you can download it, find your posts and re-post them. Download the posts here. Thanks for your patience and welcome back everyone!

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Desktop Theme

Thailand Updates from Winston and Rock!

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags [img]and[/img] after uploading them to a third party site.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Evelynnak
Freshman Poster

Thailand Updates from Winston and Rock

Post by Evelynnak » October 19th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Sauvie Island is indeed a great place. I was there this year in late September. I didnt think I would even be there as we had some real cold rainy days prior to that. But to be a Sauvie on a 80 degreee plus day is quite special. When I brought my best friend there that day, he didnt want it to end. It is such a pretty, peaceful place. So Steve and Desert Hiker, I wouldnt mind meeting you guys at Sauvie sometime. Unfortunately, it will be several months since it is December now

Also, how is Rooster Rock? I had heard bad reports of sexual activity there. Has that cleared up?
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Thailand Updates from Winston and Rock!

Post by momopi » October 20th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Thailand, Malaysia and South Korea have emerged as budget travel destinations for Mainland Tourists. Unfortunately this means they tend to spend less money, which upsets the local governments that want higher-spending Chinese tourists like those going to France and Japan.

With current trade tensions between US and China, some Chinese investors are now going to Japan, and Chinese college students to Thailand. It's still a Wild West situation and there are many fly by night operations with questionable credibility -- but possibly an opportunity for those seeking employment as an instructor.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/people/a ... ard-lesson
flowerthief00
Freshman Poster

Post by flowerthief00 » October 22nd, 2019, 1:09 am

^ Is Thailand considered a budget destination? I certainly thought so when I visited earlier this year. But this ranking of most expensive cities for expats places Bangkok fairly high up the list--nearly the same ranking as Honolulu! (where I live now) What's going on??

Even more troubling, my current gf who is from Thailand is frequently insisting that shit is more expensive over there than in Hawaii. This piece of electronics here or this bottle of wine there. I didn't think anything could be possibly be more expensive than it is in Hawaii, and mind you I live in a relatively expensive area of Oahu. So I'm somewhat confused.
JuliaTrush
Freshman Poster

Thailand Updates from Winston and Rock

Post by JuliaTrush » October 23rd, 2019, 2:11 am

Hello All.

I am heading over to Thailand next month but not sure where to go. I want to experience the night life and perhaps try out a LB or two for the first time.

I cant decide between phuket and pattaya? Any suggestions what is the best. Also do I would like to stay in a really nice hotel. That doesnt mind "guests" if you know what I mean. Any suggestions for this.

Thanks in advance
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao » October 26th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Thailand is over for Chinese tourists unless they weaken the Baht. Last year I got a 1 Baht for 5 RMB, this year it was 4.5 or something. Ouch.

I saw a Vietnamese durian stand in China this afternoon. I guess Chinese people can still get millions of Vietnamese money for their RMBs so maybe that's where they'll go next year.
I quit my boring cubicle slave job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Want to teach English overseas? Check out my experiences teaching at a Uni in China.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.