What the hell do they put in American food?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Re: What the hell do they put in American food?

Post by MattHanson1990 »

rabbithabit wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 9:01 pm
preservatives and additives in the processed food is unique to western countries as well as huge portions at every meal. in asia most people eat fresh foods and small amounts more often.
From what I've heard, it's not the case in Western Europe except for probably the UK. And here in Mexico, preservatives and additives are nowhere as common as they are in the U.S., though they've been importing some processed foods from the U.S. via the North American Free Trade Agreement. But carbs are another factor contributing to weight gain, which is why I decided to cut bread, pasta, and pizza from my diet.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

rabbithabit
Freshman Poster

Post by rabbithabit »

carbs not western problem, but huge amounts and lack of physical activity
Cute Rabbit
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

I'm not on board the carbs-are-evil train. We need carbs for energy. But pay attention to where you get them from.

Also, those who eat any kind of beef are doing themselves a disservice, to say nothing of the poor cow!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

flowerthief00 wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 10:01 pm
I'm not on board the carbs-are-evil train. We need carbs for energy. But pay attention to where you get them from.

Also, those who eat any kind of beef are doing themselves a disservice, to say nothing of the poor cow!
....and you are an adamant advocate for soy too I bet?
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

^ Not in particular, but I do like soy myself. The form I most often eat it in--tofu--is not really the best way to eat it.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

There is this to be said for tofu:

(had to post that since I just came across it by chance!)
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

There are alternatives healthier than tofu:
expat79
Freshman Poster

Post by expat79 »

Nowadays there is sugar in all foods, preservatives, additives, lots of salt that make you gain weight and not muscles, but fat. Eating as fresh as possible would be the best but it's not always possible...
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

expat79 wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 10:57 pm
Nowadays there is sugar in all foods, preservatives, additives, lots of salt that make you gain weight and not muscles, but fat. Eating as fresh as possible would be the best but it's not always possible...
You'd have to live in a particular pocket area of the U.S. where there are local farmers' markets in order to eat fresh. If not, you spend a bunch at health food stores such as Whole Foods.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

MattHanson1990 wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 5:32 pm
You'd have to live in a particular pocket area of the U.S. where there are local farmers' markets in order to eat fresh. If not, you spend a bunch at health food stores such as Whole Foods.
I like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's but they are pretty expensive. I try to stay away from foods high in sugar, salt and fat as much as possible.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

jamesbond wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 6:26 pm
MattHanson1990 wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 5:32 pm
I like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's but they are pretty expensive. I try to stay away from foods high in sugar, salt and fat as much as possible.
Trader Joe's is actually cheaper than Whole Foods. My family used to shop at Whole Foods until a Trader Joe's opened in Santa Fe around late 2004 or early 2005.