Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And Bud Patterson, author of Foreign Bride 101, Mon/Wed nights 9:30 EST for FREE Call-In Conferences.


Scam free! Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! All members screened.



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Who or what is God?

Discuss deep philosophical issues and questions.

Moderators: zboy1, fschmidt, jamesbond

Who or what is God?

Postby Winston » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:55 pm

Deep thoughts from Darryl Sloan about who or what is God.

Darryl Sloan:
Discussing the idea of God from the perspectives of monotheism (God is a being), pantheism (God is the universe) and atheism (God is the Big Bang singularity). What light does modern science shed on this age-old question, especially in light of the motion of galaxies and the nature of energy?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt1zgmSUPvg[/youtube]
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 18860
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm




Special Offer for HA Members! FREE 6 Month Membership on ForeignWomen.com! Sign up here.

Our Other Forums: Ladies Forum , Paranormal Forum

Follow Us

Postby fschmidt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:17 pm

What total bullshit. I gave up after 6 minutes. Winston seems to have a fondness for new age verbosity. None of the ideas here are new, except the ones that make no sense. Maimonides said God is formless and Spinoza invented pantheism. The best answer to who is God is in Exodus 3:14 where Moses asked God who he is and God answered "I AM WHO I AM".
fschmidt
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 8:16 am
Location: El Paso, TX

Postby E_Irizarry » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:38 pm

God isn't self-creating; something greater than God created God. The universe is infinite.

Entrapy and entropy of energy (e.g life and death of life on planet Earth) are different forms of transitions of energy that have always existed (i.e. souls = form of energy) to balance the isotope of the universe.

nuff said. Good night.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
User avatar
E_Irizarry
Veteran Happier Abroader
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
Location: The Corporation ( the U.S. of Gay )

Postby The_Hero_of_Men » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:10 pm

E_Irizarry wrote:God isn't self-creating; something greater than God created God. The universe is infinite.

Entrapy and entropy of energy (e.g life and death of life on planet Earth) are different forms of transitions of energy that have always existed (i.e. souls = form of energy) to balance the isotope of the universe.

nuff said. Good night.


Most black people would rip you apart for saying something like this, because (as you may already know) most Black people are religious.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
User avatar
The_Hero_of_Men
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: The Surface (Hyrule)

Postby MrPeabody » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:37 pm

fschmidt wrote:What total bullshit. I gave up after 6 minutes. Winston seems to have a fondness for new age verbosity. None of the ideas here are new, except the ones that make no sense. Maimonides said God is formless and Spinoza invented pantheism. The best answer to who is God is in Exodus 3:14 where Moses asked God who he is and God answered "I AM WHO I AM".


I thought you were an atheist?
MrPeabody
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Postby fschmidt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:31 pm

MrPeabody wrote:I thought you were an atheist?

I don't believe in a supernatural God, but I don't like calling myself an atheist anymore because atheists tend to be intolerant liberals. So my solution now is to call myself a Karaite since Karaites allow for individual interpretation of God and the Hebrew Bible. And so I define God as the laws of nature. I don't like the pantheist approach of Spinoza because defining God as the universe destroys the concept morality and leads to liberalism. God must be cause, not result, for morality to hold. Defining God as the laws of nature works for this.
fschmidt
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 8:16 am
Location: El Paso, TX

Postby MrPeabody » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:35 am

fschmidt wrote:
MrPeabody wrote:I thought you were an atheist?

I don't believe in a supernatural God, but I don't like calling myself an atheist anymore because atheists tend to be intolerant liberals. So my solution now is to call myself a Karaite since Karaites allow for individual interpretation of God and the Hebrew Bible. And so I define God as the laws of nature. I don't like the pantheist approach of Spinoza because defining God as the universe destroys the concept morality and leads to liberalism. God must be cause, not result, for morality to hold. Defining God as the laws of nature works for this.


It sounds tortured but good luck. If nature forms a burning bush that starts talking to people, it sounds to me like a good old fashioned supernatural god.
MrPeabody
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Postby Jeygonza » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:44 am

fschmidt wrote:What total bullshit. I gave up after 6 minutes. Winston seems to have a fondness for new age verbosity. None of the ideas here are new, except the ones that make no sense. Maimonides said God is formless and Spinoza invented pantheism. The best answer to who is God is in Exodus 3:14 where Moses asked God who he is and God answered "I AM WHO I AM".




Almighty God!! that's the best answer i ever read, i mean God answer and your.
Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
Barry LePatner
User avatar
Jeygonza
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:53 am
Location: Dominican Republic

Postby Jeygonza » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:05 am

fschmidt wrote:
MrPeabody wrote:I thought you were an atheist?

I don't believe in a supernatural God, but I don't like calling myself an atheist anymore because atheists tend to be intolerant liberals. So my solution now is to call myself a Karaite since Karaites allow for individual interpretation of God and the Hebrew Bible. And so I define God as the laws of nature. I don't like the pantheist approach of Spinoza because defining God as the universe destroys the concept morality and leads to liberalism. God must be cause, not result, for morality to hold. Defining God as the laws of nature works for this.




Those who say do not believe in God just want to feel free to do whatever they want without feeling guilty. Evolution, energies and all the other crap must have come from somewhere. An organism does not evolve if it did not exist before, then who will believe in the evolution of course I am a being created by God ..
Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
Barry LePatner
User avatar
Jeygonza
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:53 am
Location: Dominican Republic

Postby The_Hero_of_Men » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:13 am

Jeygonza wrote:
fschmidt wrote:
MrPeabody wrote:I thought you were an atheist?

I don't believe in a supernatural God, but I don't like calling myself an atheist anymore because atheists tend to be intolerant liberals. So my solution now is to call myself a Karaite since Karaites allow for individual interpretation of God and the Hebrew Bible. And so I define God as the laws of nature. I don't like the pantheist approach of Spinoza because defining God as the universe destroys the concept morality and leads to liberalism. God must be cause, not result, for morality to hold. Defining God as the laws of nature works for this.




Those who say do not believe in God just want to feel free to do whatever they want without feeling guilty. Evolution, energies and all the other crap must have come from somewhere. An organism does not evolve if it did not exist before, then who will believe in the evolution of course I am a being created by God ..


That is not always true, Jeinmy. I personally know Atheists who don't believe in God or any god whatsoever, who also live good upstanding moral lives. One does not have to be religious or believe in a God to be good-- The religious do not have a monopoly on good moral values.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
User avatar
The_Hero_of_Men
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: The Surface (Hyrule)

Postby Jeygonza » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:33 am

The_Hero_of_Men wrote:
Jeygonza wrote:
fschmidt wrote:
MrPeabody wrote:I thought you were an atheist?

I don't believe in a supernatural God, but I don't like calling myself an atheist anymore because atheists tend to be intolerant liberals. So my solution now is to call myself a Karaite since Karaites allow for individual interpretation of God and the Hebrew Bible. And so I define God as the laws of nature. I don't like the pantheist approach of Spinoza because defining God as the universe destroys the concept morality and leads to liberalism. God must be cause, not result, for morality to hold. Defining God as the laws of nature works for this.




Those who say do not believe in God just want to feel free to do whatever they want without feeling guilty. Evolution, energies and all the other crap must have come from somewhere. An organism does not evolve if it did not exist before, then who will believe in the evolution of course I am a being created by God ..


That is not always true, Jeinmy. I personally know Atheists who don't believe in God or any god whatsoever, who also live good upstanding moral lives. One does not have to be religious or believe in a God to be good-- The religious do not have a monopoly on good moral values.



You are right, I agree with you, but they represent only a small part of atheists
Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
Barry LePatner
User avatar
Jeygonza
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:53 am
Location: Dominican Republic

Postby E_Irizarry » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:56 pm

The_Hero_of_Men wrote:
E_Irizarry wrote:God isn't self-creating; something greater than God created God. The universe is infinite.

Entrapy and entropy of energy (e.g life and death of life on planet Earth) are different forms of transitions of energy that have always existed (i.e. souls = form of energy) to balance the isotope of the universe.

nuff said. Good night.


Most black people would rip you apart for saying something like this, because (as you may already know) most Black people are religious.


They would try to rip me apart. I told you; Black people and I are incongruent to each other. They and I do not coincide with each other very well, yet I'm still identified as one when ethnically and nationality-wise I'm not.

Jeinmy thinks F Schmidt's answer is the best. This again proves that women dont' have a scientific mind and cannot internalize eloquent profound concepts. This is not an attack at F Schmidt because he forever has my respect based on his factual opinion about Chile that he and I share.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
User avatar
E_Irizarry
Veteran Happier Abroader
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
Location: The Corporation ( the U.S. of Gay )

Postby The_Hero_of_Men » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Jeygonza wrote:
The_Hero_of_Men wrote:
Jeygonza wrote:
fschmidt wrote:
MrPeabody wrote:I thought you were an atheist?

I don't believe in a supernatural God, but I don't like calling myself an atheist anymore because atheists tend to be intolerant liberals. So my solution now is to call myself a Karaite since Karaites allow for individual interpretation of God and the Hebrew Bible. And so I define God as the laws of nature. I don't like the pantheist approach of Spinoza because defining God as the universe destroys the concept morality and leads to liberalism. God must be cause, not result, for morality to hold. Defining God as the laws of nature works for this.




Those who say do not believe in God just want to feel free to do whatever they want without feeling guilty. Evolution, energies and all the other crap must have come from somewhere. An organism does not evolve if it did not exist before, then who will believe in the evolution of course I am a being created by God ..


That is not always true, Jeinmy. I personally know Atheists who don't believe in God or any god whatsoever, who also live good upstanding moral lives. One does not have to be religious or believe in a God to be good-- The religious do not have a monopoly on good moral values.



You are right, I agree with you, but they represent only a small part of atheists


Just like there are Bible-believing Christians that are some of the worst people imaginable, like Hitler-- he claimed to be a Christian, and look at what he did during World War II (I do not know how good you are with world history; even i could be wrong in some of what I am telling you)! I read an excerpt from his book, "Mein Kampf (My Struggle)" in which he said that by exterminating the Jews, he felt that he was doing the work of his Savior (Jesus Christ). If people who don't believe in God were/are so evil, Jeinmy, then explain to me why is there very little/no historical evidence of Atheists owning Negro slaves? Why is there no historical evidence of Atheists murdering/mistreating Negro slave men, while raping/impregnating Negro slave women? Even if they were there (they most likely were), the ratio of Atheist slave owners to Christian slave owners was...This might be an exaggeration, but for every possible Atheist slave owner, there were probably 1,000+ Christian slave owners, and they say that the Negro slave trade is one of the greatest blights on American History. Also, there was this white-supremacist organization founded during after the American Civil War called the Ku Klux Klan (KKK for short). The KKK was mainly formed (and currently is staffed) by racists who (*GASP!*) believe in God and are Bible-believing Christians (They are, as far as I know). There are/were very few Atheist members, as far as I know. Some of the worst atrocities in world/human history can be attributed to Bible-believing Christians/people who believe in God: The Spanish Inquisition, The Crusades, and the Salem Witchcraft Trials of the late 17th century (these are the ones I can think of right now, but there are others). In all of these historical slaughters, innocent people-- men, women, and/or (most likely) children were massacred, tortured, and killed-- all by PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE IN GOD, not Atheists. There is a quote out there: "Without religion, good people will do good things and bad people will do bad things. But for good people to do bad things, that takes religion." Here is another one: "Man has never done evil so happily when he does it from a religious conviction."
Yes, there are Atheists who are rotten people, but with them, what you see is what you get. Even if every Atheist in the world were evil, and only a few Christians were evil, then, technically, it could be said that more Atheists are evil than those who believe in God. However, it goes deeper than that: People who believe in God outnumber Atheists in the world about 20 to 1. Let's say that there are 7 billion people in the world, and 20% of them are Atheists, and the rest believe in God.


7,000,000,000(.20)*= 1,400,000,000 Atheists

7,000,000,000-1,400,000,000= 5,600,000,000 people who believe in God

1.4 billion Atheists versus 5.6 billion people who believe in God. Even if all 1.4 billion Atheists were evil, there are more people who believe in God, so at least 26% of evil Christians would exceed the entire Atheist population. Those figures are assuming that my numbers are correct, and even if they are not, I was doing it to make a general point. Since there are so few Atheists in the world and so many Christians, unless the percentage of evil, rotten Christians is low enough/negligible, then the number of hypocrite Christians at least will be equal (if not superior) to the entire Atheist world population. It's all about Proportion! I am not slamming Christians, don't get me wrong, because most of them ARE real (which I highly respect). My math here is assuming all Atheists are rotten people (which they are not).

This is something to consider.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
User avatar
The_Hero_of_Men
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1140
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: The Surface (Hyrule)

Postby fschmidt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:32 am

MrPeabody wrote:It sounds tortured but good luck. If nature forms a burning bush that starts talking to people, it sounds to me like a good old fashioned supernatural god.

I just don't take it all literally.
fschmidt
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 8:16 am
Location: El Paso, TX


Return to Deep Philosophical Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest