Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar!



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       Mobile Theme       Dark Theme


Anyone else miss the 80's?

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

gsjackson
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2426
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 7:08 am
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Re: Anyone else miss the 80's?

Post by gsjackson »

Winston wrote:Gsjackson,
But in the 80s there was no alternative media and no internet. So the public never got to hear anything anti-american. There was no alex jones back then. So americans were still very patriotic and flag waving. But now a lot of people are anti-american, both in america and abroad, and the internet and alternative media have spread a lot of anti-american sentiment too. And we have so many documentaries like Zeitgeist and Why We Fight and NWO documentaries, etc. So theres no comparison right?

What about my point about the family yelling and infighting in the 80s thats not that common now? Did you notice that too?

Also i noticed that kids could make racial slurs during the early 80s. Such as "chinese japanese dirty wapanese" and make fun of my slanted eyes by imitating it. And also this common school joke: "Open the refrigerator, take out the coke, drink it, put it back in, close the door." Then after that, "me chinese, me play joke, me go peepee in your coke." After a few years, someone invented a comeback and it spread all across america. It went like this, "me american, me play smart, me not drink the peepee part." Lol. Does anyone remember that? Was that a nationwide joke? Or only a California one? Lol
The entire left wing of the political spectrum was essentially anti-American still in the '80s, a residue of the '60s and '70s. The main theme of the Nixon presidency was that there was this "great silent majority" of Americans out there who were still deeply patriotic. The point being that anti-Americanism was so much in evidence during those days that it was easy to assume the entire country felt that way. There is much, much more pressure now to conform and toe the "patriotic" line, at least in white America.

I've never been around people who yell, except for the patriarch of a Polish family I stayed with (a perfectly absurd little man), so I have no idea if what you say about that is true. I will say it was in the '90s when it began to dawn on me that there were many millions of domestic couples like the (OJ) Simpsons who would squabble all the time and scream their fool heads off at each other. I assumed it had something to do with drugs and wild mood swings, and I assume it's still very much around.

Ethnic jokes weren't quite beyond the Pale yet in the '80s. I never heard the one you mentioned.

Edit: I'll just add that while anti-Americanism was around in the '80s, what wasn't was the conspiracy theories and a sense that the Jews were behind all the shit. That has certainly increased dramatically with the internet. Jews were in the center of the anti-Americanism in those days. Now they run the show, so they impose conformity, allegiance to the flag, militarism -- all the things that used to be associated with the great silent Christian majority.

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 28822
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 6:16 am
Contact:

Re: Anyone else miss the 80's?

Post by Winston »

I just remembered something today. When I was 16 in the late 80's, one time me and a friend went to the movie theater, and when I came out and waited for my friend while he went to the restroom, all of a sudden a girl approached me and pointed to her friend standing on the wall and said, "Excuse me, my friend over there is single and has no boyfriend. Would you be interested in her?" At that time I had no experience with girls and didn't know how to react or handle such a straightforward request, and never had a girlfriend or been kissed either, so I panicked and froze. When girls flirted with me or approached me like that, I would freeze or panic and be in a flight-or-fight mode and not know what to do. I couldn't help it, even if I liked them or thought they were cute. So I just awkwardly said "I don't know. I'll think about it." I should have approached them and gotten to know them or exchanged numbers at least, or asked why they picked me. But I froze and panicked instead. What a pity.

The thing is, stuff like that would occassionally happen in the 1980's. But they never once happened in the 1990's at all. I don't know why. How can one decade make such a huge difference? I never knew that in the 1990's American girls would no longer be friendly anymore and I'd never get another chance to date one. Doesn't that suck? Even though such incidents freaked me out at the time, it was still nice to know that you were wanted at least, even if it was awkward. But that never happens anymore.

Do any of you remember incidents like that when girls would approach you or flirt with you or make the first move in the 80's?

What's a pity is that in the 80's sometimes girls would flirt with me and approach me in school. But I was always too shy to do anything about it. Plus I always assumed that I had my whole adult life to date girls in the future, so there was no rush. I had no idea that after high school, there would be no opportunities really, not even in college, because by the 1990's Americans no longer were social and everyone stuck in their own bubble and were socially disconnected. Also, all the movies and TV shows of the time made it look like getting dates as an adult in America was super easy and natural, so I never imagined it'd be that hard or impossible after school. No one ever told me that of course. So it came as a total surprise. I never knew the dating opportunities in America were all in school only, and that afterward, there'd be no more dating opportunities because in the adult world no one talks to strangers unless it's business related. Very sad, and unforeseen too.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

User avatar
HappyGuy
Junior Poster
Posts: 500
Joined: August 5th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: Anyone else miss the 80's?

Post by HappyGuy »

Winston wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 3:59 am
I just remembered something today. When I was 16 in the late 80's, one time me and a friend went to the movie theater, and when I came out and waited for my friend while he went to the restroom, all of a sudden a girl approached me and pointed to her friend standing on the wall and said, "Excuse me, my friend over there is single and has no boyfriend. Would you be interested in her?"
It's ironic that such an innocent conversation happened to you at a movie theater because it was around that time movies and actors started to get very pretentious. Watch anything with Sean Penn or Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen from that era and you'll see what I'm talking about.
"Happier abroad" you say ? :lol: Only true men find happiness

User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
Posts: 28822
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 6:16 am
Contact:

Re: Anyone else miss the 80's?

Post by Winston »

HappyGuy wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 11:21 am
Winston wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 3:59 am
I just remembered something today. When I was 16 in the late 80's, one time me and a friend went to the movie theater, and when I came out and waited for my friend while he went to the restroom, all of a sudden a girl approached me and pointed to her friend standing on the wall and said, "Excuse me, my friend over there is single and has no boyfriend. Would you be interested in her?"
It's ironic that such an innocent conversation happened to you at a movie theater because it was around that time movies and actors started to get very pretentious. Watch anything with Sean Penn or Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen from that era and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Definitely the 80's were very pretentious and superficial and materialistic. People were more insecure in that decade compared to the 70's. My friend Mitchell said you can see this by watching the music videos of the 80's and you will see the pretentiousness.

However, I remember that girls in the 80's did flirt with guys or even approach guys if they liked them. They did that to me too. But never in the 90's or after. That was my point. Do any of you guys remember that too?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Ukrainian/Russian Women Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

User avatar
HappyGuy
Junior Poster
Posts: 500
Joined: August 5th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: Anyone else miss the 80's?

Post by HappyGuy »

Winston wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 12:05 pm
you can see this by watching the music videos of the 80's and you will see the pretentiousness.
That's true, it's no wonder socializing became very snobbish and phoney when those were the types of characters that impressionable teenagers were taking cues from.
"Happier abroad" you say ? :lol: Only true men find happiness

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Movies, Music, Celebrities, Entertainment”