Real estate market in Ukraine?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Russia, Ukraine, or the former Soviet Republics.
Camp38
Freshman Poster

Real estate market in Ukraine?

Post by Camp38 »

I am posting this question in relation to the political and social upheaval during March 2014, so any response please take this into consideration.

I am generally curious as to how the current political chaos has impacted the real estate market in Ukraine in terms of foreign purchasing trends. Has the prices declined sharply and as a result would you consider this a buyers market? If so, can you provide any relevant examples via links to reputable Ukrainian websites with information on such realty listings.

In addition, same questions except in terms of the rental market? Have prices declined nation-wide as many foreigners have departed due to the instability..etc

Very curious for those on the ground and familiar with how the market is reacting. I notice in Thailand during the social unrest and political upheaval, foreign flee and investment capital sometimes grinds to a halt until after the debacle stabilizes. Curious about those expats who either live there currently and those who are familiar with the 'changing of the guard" and the results....
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Real estate market in Ukraine?

Post by Taco »

Camp38 wrote: I notice in Thailand during the social unrest and political upheaval, foreign flee and investment capital sometimes grinds to a halt until after the debacle stabilizes.
That's an understatement.

When a country is under martial law you have no rights so the government can take anything of yours it wants so buying real estate is not a good career move, buying a one way ticket out of the country is.
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

Well, I'd say real estate would be much cheaper now. If there's a nuclear war, it will be cheaper again - might pay to wait....
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

polya wrote:Well, I'd say real estate would be much cheaper now. If there's a nuclear war, it will be cheaper again - might pay to wait....
Yeah there's a huge demand for real estate contaminated with depleted uranium, its a great place to build a condo. They throw in the skeletons, razor wire and shells casings for free.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I heard that Ukrainians can go to Bulgaria, get Bulgarian citizenship, then move to the UK.

True story? I hear so much Russian here it's hard to dispute. What a joke.

Anyway, there's no point buying property in Ukraine if the population is busy moving to Western Europe. Besides, the property there is mostly Soviet style apartments as seen in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

I don't know the answer, but I am under the impression that Ukrainian real estate was considerably overpriced prior to recent events, at least in Kiev, so even substantial reductions still might not make it a good place to buy compared to, say, Georgia or the Balkans. Don't know whether Numbeo would have any kind of updated information on prices.
Camp38
Freshman Poster

Re: Real estate market in Ukraine?

Post by Camp38 »

Taco wrote:
Camp38 wrote: I notice in Thailand during the social unrest and political upheaval, foreign flee and investment capital sometimes grinds to a halt until after the debacle stabilizes.

When a country is under martial law you have no rights so the government can take anything of yours it wants so buying real estate is not a good career move, buying a one way ticket out of the country is.
Considering the state the US is currently in and the rising wealth disparity, continued gutting of civil liberties and constitution, that advice applies easily to anywhere in the US, probably with the exception of NH, considering that is the base of the Free State Project. Most likely the last stand in terms of civil unrest due to any impending economic crisis, whether natural or planned. Plane ticket out is good advice especially if you follow Simon Black and The Sovereign Man project.
Camp38
Freshman Poster

Post by Camp38 »

gsjackson wrote:I don't know the answer, but I am under the impression that Ukrainian real estate was considerably overpriced prior to recent events, at least in Kiev, so even substantial reductions still might not make it a good place to buy compared to, say, Georgia or the Balkans. Don't know whether Numbeo would have any kind of updated information on prices.
It actually varies greatly and you are correct i would need an insider's perspective, someone with their boots on the ground. In some sense once you look past the culture of fear effects, opportunities can exist anywhere. Orchestrated crisis or not, someone is always making out by being at the forefront of change. Interesting times. While the middle class continues to be systematically decimated in the US, third word economies are on the verge of uncertain changes, leading to potential new industries and rising standards for many.