Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Discuss conspiracies, mysteries and paranormal phenomena.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Aron
Freshman Poster
Posts: 140
Joined: July 4th, 2018, 9:54 am

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by Aron » August 17th, 2018, 3:16 am

@gsjackson
I don't know what "see over a lot more curvature" means.
The higher your elevation the less of the earth is in your way. The most extreme example is being in orbit, then you can see a vast amount of the earth at once. The same principle applies when you increase elevation to lesser degrees, you get a broader view of the earth.


I don't know what you're saying either when you say the horizon always rises to eye level. There's no reason it would.

Who knows. It's not like you're posting pics of your observations or anything so I've got nothing to go on here.

Dude you should know what he meant by Pear shaped if you watch the video where the quote is mined from. He clarifies what it means. No NASA didn't have to tell him anything. Since i don't think you're going to make the effort to look up the video on your own i'll do it for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OeWTrEA5fE
It's 5 minutes long, if you watch the whole video you will figure out that the Flat Earthers lied to you and Neil did not say what they claim. If you want to speed it up go to like 2 minutes 40 seconds in for the infamous 'Pear Shaped" quote and watch the part after that. He talks about how you couldn't even feel the mountains if you had a hand that could hold the earth, the point of that is that the earth is only slightly 'pear shaped' in that there is this tiny bulge below the equator that you could only find out about with scientific instruments not the human eye.
"Cosmically speaking, we're practically a perfect sphere"-NDT

I wouldn't know much about your video where hawking supposedly admits Ptolemy had a good model but it isn't proving anything really.

The distance to the sun wouldn't do anything, other than maybe the atmosphere thinning out a bit higher up in the mountains and allowing more sunlight to directly hit you. Maybe that does something, I wouldn't know.




Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!



gsjackson
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2243
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by gsjackson » August 17th, 2018, 3:39 am

Aron wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 3:16 am
@gsjackson
I don't know what "see over a lot more curvature" means.
The higher your elevation the less of the earth is in your way. The most extreme example is being in orbit, then you can see a vast amount of the earth at once. The same principle applies when you increase elevation to lesser degrees, you get a broader view of the earth.

So when you get in orbit you can't see any curvature? OK.

I don't know what you're saying either when you say the horizon always rises to eye level. There's no reason it would.

Hmmmm, seems pretty self-evident. Well, maybe you can understand why it wouldn't -- you know, because it's curving downward, so you would have to look downward to see the horizon.

Dude you should know what he meant by Pear shaped if you watch the video where the quote is mined from. He clarifies what it means. No NASA didn't have to tell him anything. Since i don't think you're going to make the effort to look up the video on your own i'll do it for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OeWTrEA5fE

Yes, he clarified it. So? That arrogant buffoon is an actor and a poseur, who has no better idea about the shape of the earth than you or I do, and I don't care what he has to say about anything. The only "argument" I've ever seen from him is to drop a ball and say "that's gravity." Wowww. How could I have missed that? And please don't share his credentials with us. You don't get credentialed unless you accept the prevailing paradigm.

Aron
Freshman Poster
Posts: 140
Joined: July 4th, 2018, 9:54 am

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by Aron » August 17th, 2018, 4:21 am

@gsjackson
So?
So it was a cherrypick by the Flat Earthers who were deliberately lying.

I agree he doesn't have a better idea than me about the shape of the earth. At least he doesn't have a better idea than most people do, since most people believe the same idea as him: that the earth is round.

Anyway all you're doing right now is saying that your personal experiences contradict what is supposed to be true. That you saw something that you're supposedly not supposed to be able to see on a round earth. It's not like you have a photo that lets me see what you're talking about. It would be more productive if instead of talking about a personal anecdote you can't really prove to me anyways, you talked about how a Flat Earth cosmology makes fundamental sense and isn't an ad hoc explanation of things that are observed in a way that is supposed to fit a pre-existing paradigm. Although historically it is ad hoc as has been the case for centuries with the flat earth society saying this stuff to support Christianity which in the bible describes a flat earth.

Like what is the flat earth explanation for shadows like this:
Image
showing up on the moon? Circular shadows come from Spherical objects so that means the earth is round.

gsjackson
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2243
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by gsjackson » August 17th, 2018, 4:50 am

Please, if you're going to go after the flat earthers at least find out what they're saying. Actually listen to Dubay's 200 proofs, or any other reasonably comprehensive FE video, and you will hear eclipses and everything else addressed. But you really do need to try to grasp the concept of the horizon always rising to eye level as you go higher, which you can prove to yourself.

And yes, the FEers shouldn't waste any time trying to help Tyson make even more of an ass of himself. He's got it covered.

OutWest
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2402
Joined: March 19th, 2011, 8:09 am
Location: Asia/USA

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by OutWest » August 17th, 2018, 8:38 am

gsjackson wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 4:50 am
Please, if you're going to go after the flat earthers at least find out what they're saying. Actually listen to Dubay's 200 proofs, or any other reasonably comprehensive FE video, and you will hear eclipses and everything else addressed. But you really do need to try to grasp the concept of the horizon always rising to eye level as you go higher, which you can prove to yourself.

And yes, the FEers shouldn't waste any time trying to help Tyson make even more of an ass of himself. He's got it covered.
Navigational computations clearly confirm that the earth is a sphere. Were the earth flat, navigational computations would begin to deviate as you progressed from the north pole and would be wildly different by the time you reached the equator. Known distances between points based on values per minute of travel in an East - West direction are based on computations for a sphere requiring smaller values between longitudinal lines as one progresses south from the equator. Trying to impose a flat Earth model on this reduces known and vastly practiced navigational techniques to nonsense and adds mollions of square miles to the surface area of the earth that do not exist with the globe earth based computations- computations that are very accurate with the globe based model of the earth.
.

Aron
Freshman Poster
Posts: 140
Joined: July 4th, 2018, 9:54 am

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by Aron » August 21st, 2018, 9:10 am

@gsjackson

I already saw debunking of many of the proofs listed in the 200 proofs video before, it was all very convincing. I don't need additional convincing of the falseness of Flat Earth. There's convergent evidence from all over. The rock cycle, carbon dating(much of which shows objects to be older than 6000 years), various astronomical evidence like supernovas and so on, which were not invented recently as even in old times people sometimes recorded the disappearance of a star from the sky. The shadow on the moon, eclipses, Evolution, the circumnavigation of the world which does not make sense on a flat earth since it would require Magellan to constantly have turned to not hit the antartic, meteors, dinosaur skeletons(convergent evidence with meteor impacts), the visible spherical planets in the solar system like Jupiter, all sorts of things. It's totally obvious. Honestly I believe if a perfect lie detector was ever invented and any flat earther was continually questioned about their beliefs they would be shown 90% of the time to be lying when they continue to defend it after certain proofs are shown to them. The other 10% of the time they are too stupid to understand somehow.

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6784
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by Cornfed » August 21st, 2018, 9:18 am

If we can put the dating and speculative stuff aside, how have you offered evidence of anything?

gsjackson
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2243
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by gsjackson » August 21st, 2018, 2:32 pm

Cornfed wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 9:18 am
If we can put the dating and speculative stuff aside, how have you offered evidence of anything?
Corn, please, he just needs to declare victory, and look down upon the ignoramuses from the lofty perch of superior(19-year-old?) intellect. Kind of like when the U.S. military gets bogged down in a Zio-adventure -- declare victory, proclaim moral superiority, and get the hell out of Dodge.

Aron
Freshman Poster
Posts: 140
Joined: July 4th, 2018, 9:54 am

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by Aron » August 25th, 2018, 2:43 am

@gsjackson
@Cornfed

Cornfed you didn't mention me in your post. When you don't do this i get no notification and have no reason to believe you responded. Since i happened to check it today I got to notice your response. Next time, put an @Aron in there. The same goes with you gsjackson when you mention me as otherwise i have no way to answer your claim about me when i have no knowledge of it.

If i wanted to just declare my opinion to be more true than yours i wouldn't have spent so long in this thread, I would have made maybe 1 or 2 posts. I am trying to convince you but it is difficult when you will not respond to any specific points.

Cornfed, for starters you could read my response to the facts Winston thought proved Flat Earth. You want something that requires zero speculation so i'll just use the Flat Earth model of reality and observational data to disprove it for this one:

Flat Earthers say crepuscular rays prove the earth is flat and the sun is close. If that is true, we should only see crepuscular rays near the few places on Earth the physical sun is supposed to pass directly over as it travels around the flat earth on its floating sun circuit. This is not the case. They occur all over the place. Do you have an answer for this contradiction?

Gsjackson, your analogy makes it look like i purposefully left the conversation which is misleading when you know full well you and Cornfed didn't notify me of any new replies. It's not at the top of this subforum anymore, it's not going to show up when i look at the main page. The other issue with it is that you are just framing the conversation as a competition where i want to 'win'. "Winning' an argument doesn't achieve anything, what 'winning' an argument usually means is one side runs out of things to say and stops talking since they can't prove they're right, but still believes what they argued in general. I'd rather just persuade you that the Earth is not Flat than 'win' an argument and get you to stop talking because you can't prove me wrong or justify your beliefs to me. Even if i'm right it doesn't really matter since i'd rather have you be convinced and come to a more true conclusion about the earth. It's doing you a favor if anything, you're going to just look stupid to other people if you tell them you think the Earth is flat, so you have a lot of reasons to take my argument into consideration instead of ignoring me.

Pinayhunter
Freshman Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: February 9th, 2016, 1:52 am

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by Pinayhunter » September 22nd, 2018, 8:57 pm

The Bible clearly describes a flat Earth. As a devout Christian, I’ll take the Bible’s word over some media shill’s any day. The globe model never made any sense to me anyway.

I’d urge everyone to check out Eric Dubay and Rob Skiba on YouTube if you haven’t already. Their videos reaffirmed everything I already knew. Globe proponents can’t put a dent in their arguments/proofs.

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6784
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by Cornfed » September 22nd, 2018, 9:44 pm

Does anyone have a coherent model of the flat earth universe? What is outside the earth, or is this all there is?

gsjackson
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2243
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by gsjackson » September 22nd, 2018, 11:51 pm

Cornfed wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 9:44 pm
Does anyone have a coherent model of the flat earth universe? What is outside the earth, or is this all there is?
Not that I know of, other than Biblical notions of heaven being beyond the beyond. Up there. Skiba, a believing Christian, would subscribe to that. Dubay has more exotic metaphysical ideas about what's going on. But I don't think any of them have attempted a physical description of what's beyond the approx. 200-3500 miles up that we can see.

I've been subbing in some high school science classes lately, and it's just astounding how they teach these kids that things like the Big Bang and black holes -- purely speculative, almost certainly fictional -- are obvious facts. And the kids seem to think this is the one class where it's being told like it is. The one class where they get reality. I keep my mouth shut or I'll be out of a job.

TruthSeeker
Freshman Poster
Posts: 394
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by TruthSeeker » September 23rd, 2018, 11:40 am

When I google "how many satellites orbiting earth" I get "Currently there are approximately 1,459 artificial satellites orbiting the Earth." Then another result, "According to the Index of Objects Launched into Outer Space maintained by the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), there are 4 857 satellites currently orbiting the planet;"

So which is it? 1459 or 4857? How many of those satellites have cameras attached to them? Why can't I go to YouTube and get a live view from space from at least one of those satellites? Why is the only live feed provided by NASA (ISS)?

Can anyone answer this?
Last edited by TruthSeeker on September 23rd, 2018, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TruthSeeker
Freshman Poster
Posts: 394
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by TruthSeeker » September 23rd, 2018, 11:50 am



Is this fake? Is this CGI?

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6784
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Re: Could the Earth be FLAT and Motionless, Not A Spinning Globe?

Post by Cornfed » September 23rd, 2018, 11:59 am

TruthSeeker wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 11:50 am
Is this fake? Is this CGI?
Probably.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Conspiracies, Mysteries, Paranormal”