Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

User avatar
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 8308
Joined: August 25th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by jamesbond » January 13th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Pinayhunter wrote:
January 13th, 2018, 7:42 am
I never bought in to the Jewish scam of work worship. To me, a job has always been an unpleasant ordeal that has to be endured in order to survive. It’s one thing if you’re an entrepreneur or something, coming and going as you please. But to be a full time employee for 10, 20, 30+ years :shock: - I don’t understand how people can tolerate it.

A good example of how messed up America has become with its fetishization of work: even children of the wealthy are expected to hold down jobs! In fact I’ve known several of these people. Instead of spending time with their families, enjoying hobbies, and contemplating the wonders of the universe, they’re just moving money around and staring at spreadsheets all day. America really is bizarre.
In the US there is a great deal of workaholics and this is seen as being virtuous. The protestant work ethic never was supposed to mean you work 60 to 80 hours a week and have no life outside of your job.

Nobody on their death bed wishes they spent more time at the office!
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."




Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!



MrMan
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2489
Joined: July 31st, 2014, 3:52 am

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by MrMan » January 13th, 2018, 5:13 pm

I wonder if hunter gatherers wonder, "Why is work like a religion here on the Savannah? People here spend hours hunting down animals and looking for berries. We aren't given a choice? We should be able to choose to have meat fall out of the sky and berries appear next to us?

I wonder if subsistence farmers wonder why they have to work so much. Why don't the crops just grow by themselves, all healthy, with no need for planting, or pulling up weeds, or even having to harvest or process the crops?

OutWest
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2373
Joined: March 19th, 2011, 8:09 am
Location: Asia/USA

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by OutWest » January 14th, 2018, 6:40 am

jamesbond wrote:
January 13th, 2018, 4:34 pm
Pinayhunter wrote:
January 13th, 2018, 7:42 am
I never bought in to the Jewish scam of work worship. To me, a job has always been an unpleasant ordeal that has to be endured in order to survive. It’s one thing if you’re an entrepreneur or something, coming and going as you please. But to be a full time employee for 10, 20, 30+ years :shock: - I don’t understand how people can tolerate it.

A good example of how messed up America has become with its fetishization of work: even children of the wealthy are expected to hold down jobs! In fact I’ve known several of these people. Instead of spending time with their families, enjoying hobbies, and contemplating the wonders of the universe, they’re just moving money around and staring at spreadsheets all day. America really is bizarre.
In the US there is a great deal of workaholics and this is seen as being virtuous. The protestant work ethic never was supposed to mean you work 60 to 80 hours a week and have no life outside of your job.

Nobody on their death bed wishes they spent more time at the office!
Why all the whining and whimpering? What is forced? Quit if you don't like something. It sounds like the whining is a complaint that you have to work for money. If you want more time off, work on a contract basis. Now, more than every, a lot of people can work online...there are a lot of ways to not be in a cubicle. "Well, let's see, would you like to work today? No, Ok, when would you like to come in?" World-wide, a lot of people are working harder to keep up with the Jones's. I hear the same thing in OZ. Yes, the expenses of the society are too much to keep up and still have a life. It means you have to chose a different path.
Last edited by OutWest on January 14th, 2018, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6299
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by Cornfed » January 14th, 2018, 6:44 am

OutWest wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 6:40 am
What is forced?
The debts run up by boomers and the expense of keeping their decrepit carcasses ticking over.

OutWest
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2373
Joined: March 19th, 2011, 8:09 am
Location: Asia/USA

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by OutWest » January 14th, 2018, 8:26 am

Cornfed wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 6:44 am
OutWest wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 6:40 am
What is forced?
The debts run up by boomers and the expense of keeping their decrepit carcasses ticking over.

Im speaking of what individual action one may take. The opinions of pathetic helpless he-bitches are of no consequence. Men of all ages, unlike your pathetic nazi arse, actually take constructive action. You are a truly demonic soul.

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6299
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by Cornfed » January 14th, 2018, 8:35 am

OutWest wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 8:26 am
Cornfed wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 6:44 am
OutWest wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 6:40 am
What is forced?
The debts run up by boomers and the expense of keeping their decrepit carcasses ticking over.

Im speaking of what individual action one may take. The opinions of pathetic helpless he-bitches are of no consequence. Men of all ages, unlike your pathetic nazi arse, actually take constructive action. You are a truly demonic soul.
The are weighed down with the egregious burden of boomers, sluts and shitskins no matter what they do or don't do. Were it not for that, we could all be living in luxury while working a few hours a week.

User avatar
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 8308
Joined: August 25th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by jamesbond » January 15th, 2018, 2:55 pm

Germany already has a 35-hour work week. Now, the country's most powerful union, IG Metall, is demanding its 3.9 million workers in the electrical and metalworking industries be allowed to work a 28-hour week for two years. The union staged several walkouts to make its point, and is gearing up for nationwide strikes if its demands aren't met.

Americans should take note.

The standard work week in the States is 40 hours. The average American clocked 1,780 hours on the job in 2016, which makes us something of an anomaly: We don't just put in considerably more work than the Germans (who averaged 1,360 hours per worker in 2016), we also put in more hours than the French, the British, the Canadians, the Dutch, and others. More than that, annual hours per worker steadily fell in those countries over the last half century. America saw its hours fall until about 1980, when the trend flatlined. Our hours have been stagnant ever since.

An economy with high productivity is supposed to deliver better standards of living, either in the form of higher incomes or more leisure hours. Most Western countries have seen a mix of both. Americans, to a large degree, have gotten neither.

Boosting the overall demand for goods and services is one way to get more people into the workforce. Unfortunately, America has not done a good job of this since 1980, and Europe has probably done an even shoddier job since 2008. The other option is to spread the available work out among more people. One way to do this is by shortening the work week.

So, yes, a shorter work week could do Americans a whole lot of good. But U.S. employees may not have the leverage to demand such a change. More than anything, leverage is what German workers have going for them, and what allows them to demand a 28-hour work week with such conviction. Germany's economy is booming, so labor is scarce and employers have to fight over employees. But just as important, unions are massively powerful there. Official union membership rates aren't that high — though still way higher than America's — but unions' bargaining arrangements mean they're negotiating terms for about two-thirds of the country's workforce. German law also requires that half of all corporate boards must be representatives of the company's workers.

These days, a 35-hour work week probably seems otherworldly to most Americans, much less a 28-hour one. But the Germans are a good example of how it can be done. We'll need a lot of political organizing and policy changes to get there.


http://theweek.com/articles/747843/case ... -work-week
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."

OutWest
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2373
Joined: March 19th, 2011, 8:09 am
Location: Asia/USA

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by OutWest » January 15th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Cornfed wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 8:35 am
OutWest wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 8:26 am
Cornfed wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 6:44 am
OutWest wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 6:40 am
What is forced?
The debts run up by boomers and the expense of keeping their decrepit carcasses ticking over.

Im speaking of what individual action one may take. The opinions of pathetic helpless he-bitches are of no consequence. Men of all ages, unlike your pathetic nazi arse, actually take constructive action. You are a truly demonic soul.
The are weighed down with the egregious burden of boomers, sluts and shitskins no matter what they do or don't do. Were it not for that, we could all be living in luxury while working a few hours a week.
Boomers pay about 50% of total income taxes paid. I paid in excess of $40,000 in taxes for 2017 according to my quarterly totals. It sounds like you come from a rather underachieving bloodline. Men who sit around bitching and blaming others more than being productive are the type that also tend to suck up food stamps and other welfare benefits. I'm thinking there MUST be an "Angry Nazi" meme.

I know it is a radical concept, but people will actually PAY you if you provide them with valuable goods and services.

User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6299
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by Cornfed » January 16th, 2018, 8:31 pm

OutWest wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 6:22 pm
Boomers pay about 50% of total income taxes paid.
Given that their money is stolen from us in the first place, it is irrelevant what they pay.

User avatar
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 8308
Joined: August 25th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by jamesbond » April 22nd, 2018, 2:56 pm

A recent Gallup Poll indicated that 70% of Americans feel emotionally disconnected from their jobs. While data supports that Americans are working longer hours for less money and fewer benefits, CEOs continue to get giant bonuses and salaries.

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."

IraqVet2003
Junior Poster
Posts: 527
Joined: March 27th, 2014, 1:42 am

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by IraqVet2003 » April 27th, 2018, 1:47 am

Winston, I have come to believe work became a religion in America and why it is FORCED is because of this country's HIGH COST OF LIVING. This is especially true if you live in very expensive places like Alaska, Hawaii (Honolulu), California (San Francisco/ L.A.), Seattle, Boston, New York City, Miami, or Washington, D.C. There was a time in America that it took only one income to make ends met. But now it either takes two incomes or one person making a lot of money ($75,000 to the six figure range) if you're in the middle-class, married and have a family. Otherwise, if you're poor you'll have to work two or possibly three jobs just to keep you're head above water!!! Winston, there are times I wish the U.S. was more like EUROPE in which they mandate companies give their employees 4-6 weeks off for vacation along with sick and maternity leave.

Dontbeacog
Freshman Poster
Posts: 6
Joined: May 8th, 2018, 4:12 am
Contact:

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by Dontbeacog » May 15th, 2018, 1:43 am

Winston wrote:
January 1st, 2018, 8:28 am
So you see, living and breathing your work is normal. So is not having any life outside of your work. Work is your God in America. It's your religion. Its your LIFE as well. You are expected to give 110 percent and sacrifice your life for your job. So you see its not just about paying the bills. Its your God. A good person is seen as willing to sacrifice all for their job. And putting their job above all else. Even above God himself. And even above family.
You are right on about "110%", which is a huge workplace cliché. We're programmed by our employers to believe that the only way to get ahead is to "give 110%." To me it seems that giving 100% should be a enough, in other words completing your assignments up to par, especially since there are so many people giving 50% and goofing around at work.

What's even worse though is the use of "goals," such as professional development goals. These are such cons. They basically come up with a bunch of difficult objectives that will require you to work harder than last year, under the guise of "growing you" professionally. I feel good about myself when I do a good job at work and I'm known for quality work but I have absolutely zero enthusiasm about these "goals." Yet they expect you to show excitement about them, like "I can't wait to tackle my goals this year!" It's such as facade. Probably everyone else feels the same way about them and just play along.
Check out my site: www.DontbeaCog.com. Think for yourself - take control.

User avatar
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6207
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by Adama » May 15th, 2018, 1:59 am

Many people have turned money into their God. It's called Mammon. Money is their glory. That's why they are willing to slave away. They trust in money and riches. That's what life is about for them. Just like a devout religious person might go around studying their holy book all day, certain people worship money.

Some people will work hard for it. Some people will undercut another person and cheat them out of their wages. Others are even willing to commit crimes to get rich. It is all in the name of money. Money. Money. Money.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.

TruthSeeker
Freshman Poster
Posts: 242
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by TruthSeeker » May 15th, 2018, 9:12 pm

And how did you get your money to live in Manhattan?
Last edited by TruthSeeker on May 16th, 2018, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6207
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: Why is work a religion in America and you aren't given a choice about it?! It's stupid and forced!

Post by Adama » May 15th, 2018, 9:31 pm

IraqVet2003 wrote:
April 27th, 2018, 1:47 am
Winston, I have come to believe work became a religion in America and why it is FORCED is because of this country's HIGH COST OF LIVING. This is especially true if you live in very expensive places like Alaska, Hawaii (Honolulu), California (San Francisco/ L.A.), Seattle, Boston, New York City, Miami, or Washington, D.C. There was a time in America that it took only one income to make ends met. But now it either takes two incomes or one person making a lot of money ($75,000 to the six figure range) if you're in the middle-class, married and have a family. Otherwise, if you're poor you'll have to work two or possibly three jobs just to keep you're head above water!!! Winston, there are times I wish the U.S. was more like EUROPE in which they mandate companies give their employees 4-6 weeks off for vacation along with sick and maternity leave.
I mostly agree. Religion as in it is their God and their glory. Many people have replaced God with "Mammon" (meaning money in a religious sense).

As far as welfare and other benefits, they are definitely much more generous in Europe and the UK.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Rants and Raves”