View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Mobile Version

I'll be Watching Your Posts

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are!

I'll be Watching Your Posts

Postby Entrepreneur » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:31 pm

Hi there!

This isn't really an introduction because I don't really belong here. I'm a man, hehe..

But I started one the most controversial threads of all time on the Men's forums: http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... hp?t=15590
(I do have an introduction there: http://goo.gl/gWX3B)

To be clear: I do not at all believe what most men over there say about you! I may be cynical & skeptical of many, in-fact most women, but I'm not even close to a "misogynist" yet. When I inquired about letting women join H.A., it devolved into a MASSIVE flame war! 9 pages long. That wasn't my intention at all. And consequently I left this place for 9 months, thinking the members here were without hope.

I sincerely just wanted some input from *foreign women on how we (expat guys) can make ourselves more attractive to sincere & approachable women... :-)

It's good to see that my idea for a “Allowing Women on HappierAbroad” has been taken seriously!

Kudos to Winston Wu for having the balls to do it!!!
(one theme suggestion though: Change the smileys. They look like balloons! :!: )

I'll be reading more of your posts, enjoying them so far.

Have a good day!
Entrepreneur

Re: I'll be Watching Your Posts

Postby Renata » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:22 am

Hi Entrepreneur,

Men' are welcomed here :mrgreen:

We would love to hear from you about topics that interest you, like Business/Entrepreneurship.

I remember that thread, I think I replied to your question ...

Welcome & nice to meet you too.
Renata

Postby NinjaPuppy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:16 am

Welcome Entrepreneur!
Indecision may or may not be my problem - Jimmy Buffett
NinjaPuppy

Postby BellaRuth » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:17 am

Hi!

I'm REALLY into business and becoming an entrepreneur too, it's one of the best paths I've involved myself in. Great to see a man here- and you do belong here. I think 'Ladies Forum' stands for 'Ladies are Allowed' rather tham 'Ladies Only' ;)
When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.
BellaRuth

Postby obsidian colibri » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:04 pm

welcome :) !
obsidian colibri

Postby Entrepreneur » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:13 am

Why Thankyou, Renata, NinjaPuppy, BellaRuth, and Colibi. :-)

@ Renata & Bella: That's so awesome. I don't personally know any other women who are into entrepreneurship. I took a "Entrepreneurship 101" type course in college 4 years ago. And I remember there was only 1 girl in my class of 30. (I bet it's paying dividends for her now, when all her friends got drunk at sororities. he he) But hey it was a freshman course so maybe that's why..

Still, entrepreneurship is absolutely essential if you want to be a perpetual traveler. Or even just live comfortably in lower GDP countries.

You know what they say about Money right?

"Grab that cash with both hands
And make a stash

New car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team
" :-D
http://vimeo.com/57338243
Entrepreneur

Postby Renata » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:30 am

Entrepreneur wrote:Why Thankyou, Renata, NinjaPuppy, BellaRuth, and Colibi. :-)

@ Renata & Bella: That's so awesome. I don't personally know any other women who are into entrepreneurship. I took a "Entrepreneurship 101" type course in college 4 years ago. And I remember there was only 1 girl in my class of 30. (I bet it's paying dividends for her now, when all her friends got drunk at sororities. he he) But hey it was a freshman course so maybe that's why..

Still, entrepreneurship is absolutely essential if you want to be a perpetual traveler. Or even just live comfortably in lower GDP countries.

You know what they say about Money right?

And make a stash

Think I'll buy me a football team
" :-D
http://vimeo.com/57338243

I've tried doing Real estate in the past but didn't make any real headway with that .. now I'm offering Translation services, see my sig, it quite new. All the young Uni students I meet & relatives, I tell them that regardless of what field they end up in, they should try to either be a consultant & offer their services freelance or try a startup business. It's not worth it attaching with a company, having a career & climbing the imaginary ladder.

You loose your time', it becomes their's, you loose your mind & having a career' ends up being the centre of your life.
Renata

Postby BellaRuth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:43 am

I'm selling merchandise online and offline. It's the most wonderful, fun and challenging thing I've ever done. I have always wanted to be self-employed.

Last year I ended up being employed by a company under a permanent, full-time contract. I adored the company, worked really hard and had hopes on getting to the next level there. One day, I came in for a last-minute shift at work and they made me redundant, without a reason or pay. This was completely legal. They made about ten people redundant that day.

Since then I have no trust for employment. They expect the world from you yet treat you as a disposable slave. I'd rather make my own money, be in control of my future and work when I want to.

Oops, that turned into a bit of a rant. :)

Another thing I love about entrepreneurship is how demanding it is. You can't try to charm the boss and coast through. You have to up your game at every level. I've been forced to learn how to sell, how to write, how to speak to groups of strangers, organise deals, make contracts, present a certain image, manipulate internet traffic, advertise... etc. The learning never ends. It's a rollercoaster, and so exciting and rewarding.
When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.
BellaRuth

Postby NinjaPuppy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:55 am

BellaRuth wrote:Since then I have no trust for employment. They expect the world from you yet treat you as a disposable slave. I'd rather make my own money, be in control of my future and work when I want to.

So young, yet so wise! You are SPOT ON with this Bella.

BellaRuth wrote:Another thing I love about entrepreneurship is how demanding it is. You can't try to charm the boss and coast through. You have to up your game at every level. I've been forced to learn how to sell, how to write, how to speak to groups of strangers, organise deals, make contracts, present a certain image, manipulate internet traffic, advertise... etc. The learning never ends. It's a rollercoaster, and so exciting and rewarding.

I feel the exact same way. I love a challenge and I make sure to challenge myself every chance I get.

Entrepreneur wrote:You know what they say about Money right?

And make a stash

Think I'll buy me a football team" :-D

So very, very true and an excellent little ditty to always remember.

Do you have any tips or secrets that you would like to share with us?
NinjaPuppy

Postby Entrepreneur » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:32 am

Renata wrote:now I'm offering Translation services, see my sig, it quite new.

Hey, that's a business in itself. :D That's what entrepreneurship's all about. People have to find a niche where there's a problem that isn't being solved. Or where there's not enough supply for the demand.. And solve that problem!

Renata wrote:All the young Uni students I meet & relatives, I tell them that regardless of what field they end up in, they should try to either be a consultant & offer their services freelance or try a startup business. It's not worth it attaching with a company, having a career & climbing the imaginary ladder.

I agree.. Careerism can really be toxic. I see so many people get burnt out in the U.S. and I really pity them because they let themselves get in debt. *The More they make, the more they spend. And they let themselves be influenced by marketers, & bankers, etc. To where they've dug a hole so deep they can't get out of it. That's typical in the U.S. I hear people do it in Europe too. (The Japanese don't, and have always understood the importance of saving money.)

My whole perspective though, is I'm willing to make a huge sacrifice now and focus all of my creative energy on making money, because I know I will be free later.. Free of everything.

My goal being to retire early & be able to do good things with my money. But no way could I do this if I was working for someone else. Doesn't matter what career it is, I could never be this passionate about it...

Great comments!
Entrepreneur

Postby Entrepreneur » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:48 am

BellaRuth wrote:I'm selling merchandise online and offline. It's the most wonderful, fun and challenging thing I've ever done. I have always wanted to be self-employed.

Congrats on taking charge of your life! :) Deciding for yourself what "you are worth". That really is quite inspiring.

BellaRuth wrote:Last year I ended up being employed by a company under a permanent, full-time contract. I adored the company, worked really hard and had hopes on getting to the next level there. One day, I came in for a last-minute shift at work and they made me redundant, without a reason or pay. This was completely legal. They made about ten people redundant that day.

Sorry to hear it had to happen like that though. :\ Yeah, it really is a dog eat dog world. The people who own/operate/and run these companies do not give a sh*t about you. pardon my French. A lot of it comes from how the managers are "conditioned" in school.

Basically all MBA's are taught "profit is the only function of any business. Employees are your slaves. Cut wages. Externalize costs. Fire! The Stockholders are your Gods. Bow to them. Serve them well enough, and maybe someday you too will get promoted to upper-management!" (upper management is still not the top. Just another carot dangling on the end of a string)

I rejected that sort of materialists indoctrination in school. (I studied finance, and that's ALL they teach!")

BellaRuth wrote:Since then I have no trust for employment. They expect the world from you yet treat you as a disposable slave. I'd rather make my own money, be in control of my future and work when I want to.

No problem at all! Keep going... I love hearing people's stories!
Entrepreneur

Postby Entrepreneur » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:15 pm

NinjaPuppy wrote:
Entrepreneur wrote:New car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team" :-D

So very, very true and an excellent little ditty to always remember.

one of my favorite classic-rock songs.

NinjaPuppy wrote:Do you have any tips or secrets that you would like to share with us?

I don't have many tips. Just what I said earlier about solving problems.

1. Entrepreneurship is the "art of solving problems", fulfilling the needs & desires of a target market. This site's a case study in that. Every day people go online, Google etc, looking for information & products to help them solve a problem they have. People loose sight of this. Making people happy is not only the "means", but the end itself.

2. The wealth / money you get out of entrepreneurship is exactly proportional to the value you create in society. For a short term ventures? Ok, It has more to do with "perceived" value. An "offer" consist of many intangible & psychological factors, it's more than just the product. Yes some marketers fool or scam people, and sell cr*ppy products. But their businesses never last. Once word gets out they have no value, since Everyone reads reviews before making purchases now.

3. High value-to-price products work best. People Love Deals! And may tell their friends about their experience too. I'm all about having the highest value/price offer in the market. You will make more money selling thousands of a "good" or average product at a low price, than a few "exceptional" product at an insane price-point and profit-margin.
This gives you leverage and once you take enough market-share away from your competitors there's little else they can do to defeat you.

Toyota & Honda are good examples of that. They not too luxurious. But are the most reliable, affordable, and have great MPG. They consistently outsell other automakers, and they win financially too..

I like price wars. :D Not saying monopolies are good. But when you own the market & and if you believe in giving great value to your customers, you can run an extremely efficient business. Think about the iPod (*a little pricey in my opinion) But it was the most successful mp3 player ever made. Apple dominated that market over 10 years. http://www.forbes.com/sites/darcytravlo ... t-matters/

4. Know your enemy. Get to know everything you can about your competitors. How they operate. What their costs are. What their marketing strategy is. And how they're going to react when you make certain moves - particularly pricing moves. It's like chess. You have to always think 3 steps ahead of them. I treat business like Sun-Tzu or Napoleon treats war. That's why marketing is so important.

That's all the tips I've got! There are tons of great book on this mindset. We'll have to make a list.
One last quote: "Opportunities are like busses. There's always another one coming!" -- I believe a rich media mogul said that, But it's soo true!
Entrepreneur

Postby NinjaPuppy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:06 am

All excellent points. Thank you!
NinjaPuppy

Postby Winston » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:49 am

BellaRuth wrote:I'm selling merchandise online and offline. It's the most wonderful, fun and challenging thing I've ever done. I have always wanted to be self-employed.

Last year I ended up being employed by a company under a permanent, full-time contract. I adored the company, worked really hard and had hopes on getting to the next level there. One day, I came in for a last-minute shift at work and they made me redundant, without a reason or pay. This was completely legal. They made about ten people redundant that day.

Since then I have no trust for employment. They expect the world from you yet treat you as a disposable slave. I'd rather make my own money, be in control of my future and work when I want to.

Another thing I love about entrepreneurship is how demanding it is. You can't try to charm the boss and coast through. You have to up your game at every level. I've been forced to learn how to sell, how to write, how to speak to groups of strangers, organise deals, make contracts, present a certain image, manipulate internet traffic, advertise... etc. The learning never ends. It's a rollercoaster, and so exciting and rewarding.

That's awesome Bella! What type of stuff are you selling? Do you have a webpage or webstore? If so, I'd love to see it!

You mean in the UK they can make you work without pay? Is that what "redundant" means? I wonder why. That would be illegal even in the US.

Always remember this: When you do what you love, it doesn't feel like work. :)

Entrepreneur wrote:Hey, that's a business in itself. That's what entrepreneurship's all about. People have to find a niche where there's a problem that isn't being solved. Or where there's not enough supply for the demand.. And solve that problem!

Yep. That's exactly what I did with HappierAbroad. So what type of business are you doing now?
Do you make overseas calls? For the lowest rates, check out my HappierAbroad Calling Card Shop.

Seeking a foreign partner? See these Top International Dating Sites.
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Renata » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:38 am

Winston, Redundant is when you get fired when the company is trying to downsize employees. It happens at random sometimes or they do appraisals on everyone's job portfolio to see if they really need them.
Renata

Return to Introduce Yourself