Depressed college student in the USA

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

Hey dusky i know where you come from because i'm also a college student who's the same age as you as well. I'm sure in campus you can join groups with foreign people in it. Clubs and social groups have an open-door policy where you can join as long as you show up and show the effort to participate. The more time you spend, the more friendships you can develop. Yes it cliquish, but it's far better than not socializing whatsoever.

Yes America is antisocial, but honestly at least you're awake. You see what's around you, all the fakeness and lies as well at how American girls aCT. The girls are a lost case there's nothing we can do about it, but to look abroad. Stick around the forum, if you so choose to
dusky
Freshman Poster

Post by dusky »

Ok I've continued to start conversations with people I don't know; people sitting nearby in classes or elsewhere on campus. I've come to the conclusion that a minimum of half of all americans (including both men and women) are anti-social. What do I mean by anti-social? They put no effort into the conversation. They don't reciprocate when you show interest in them. They seem cold and detached. You just don't get good feelings when you talk to them. Heck all I did was sit down next to a girl in one of my classes on the first day and she immediately turned away from me while staring at her cell phone. I'm not physically unattractive, I don't have body odors, there's nothing wrong with me. The americans who are not anti-social still don't seem entirely genuine when you talk to them, like their persona is just on the surface but you can't really get to know them.
Outcaster
Freshman Poster

Post by Outcaster »

Funny you mention bad dream. I actually remember one time while I was in Eastern Germany, when life was good, I remember dreaming and waking up from my sleep in my room in America. It was a terrible feeling knowing that I would have no social life, no girlfriend etc.
Thankfully I awoke and it took me a second to realize I was still in Germany, I had friends and a girlfriend, and I am always able to meet new people. This bad dream really stuck with me because it really showed me how I feel about America, enough for it to give me a nightmare that I was waking up in America.

Now I live that nightmare every day in America, waking up here. I am currently on unemployment benefits so I am not allowed to go abroad. As soon as my unemployment is over I am going on a long long stay abroad.

I always tell people this, in America I am lucky to meet 1 new person a month. A new person where I have at least a 5 minute conversation with, not someone like a sales clerk.
In Germany, I meet multiple people every single day. Thinking about it now, in the last 2 months in America, I have not met any new person and have not had any conversation with any new girl.

I always ask people in America when is the last time you made a new friend. Almost everybody I know friends are from very young in childhood, or their 1st year of college. Most people I speak with say that they have not made a new friend in years.
IN Germany I am able to make a a few new friends every time I stay there for a few months. What is also interesting is that it is usually easier to make an american friend abroad and get an american girlfriend abroad.

While saying this, living abroad does have its problems. It is still far easier to make money in the USA. The language barriers also get quite annoying, especially in Germany where if you try and learn German, they will just speak to you in English anyway.

It is true what someone said its like high school mentality in US. In Germany I notice that smarter/nerdier people are not treated any different than the jocks. It actually seems that smarter/nerdier people in Germany are treated better than jocks.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Outcaster wrote:I always tell people this, in America I am lucky to meet 1 new person a month. A new person where I have at least a 5 minute conversation with, not someone like a sales clerk.In Germany, I meet multiple people every single day. Thinking about it now, in the last 2 months in America, I have not met any new person and have not had any conversation with any new girl.

I always ask people in America when is the last time you made a new friend. Almost everybody I know friends are from very young in childhood, or their 1st year of college. Most people I speak with say that they have not made a new friend in years.

IN Germany I am able to make a a few new friends every time I stay there for a few months. What is also interesting is that it is usually easier to make an american friend abroad and get an american girlfriend abroad.
Interesting observations Outcaster. It's true that in the US, you make your friends early in life (grade school, high school, college) then when you are out of school, it is very difficult to meet people.

Sounds like the people in Germany were friendly towards you and it was easy to meet people. What part of Germany were you in? Were you taking college classes? Did you meet any girls in Germany when you were out in public, like at bookstores and shopping malls?
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
JhonPaul
Freshman Poster

Post by JhonPaul »

Well cant find any major reason for college students to be depressed, conditions of economy is the same in all parts of the globe, its not in US alone....
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

JhonPaul wrote:Well cant find any major reason for college students to be depressed, conditions of economy is the same in all parts of the globe, its not in US alone....
I disagree, many parts of Asia are in fact booming economically. Singapore's GDP growth rate in 2010 was 14.5 %!!! China is growing 10% a year. Ladislav (one of the posters here) says he was amazed at the economic activity in Indonesia in one of the forums. Brazil is booing economically, just google "Brazil Rising Star" to watch a 60 Minutes piece online. Not all parts of the world are in a doom and gloom situation.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

@Zboy,

Thats because these countries are coming out of the gutter. The quality of life in the U.S. is falling while it's rising in other countries.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

eurobrat wrote:@Zboy,

Thats because these countries are coming out of the gutter. The quality of life in the U.S. is falling while it's rising in other countries.
Yep, that's why I keep trying to say, but there are still lots of skeptics out there! I'm lucky to have traveled quite a bit to many foreign countries, so I know first hand the reality. Don't believe the propaganda from the media that 'America is great and everybody else sucks' bullcrap.
Matfoxx
Freshman Poster

Re: Depressed college student in the USA

Post by Matfoxx »

Hug you
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Re: Depressed college student in the USA

Post by glanmit »

My student years were amazing somehow, but i also looked for shortcuts everywhere it was possible.
Most of my college papers were written by these guys https://writersperhour.com/buy-college-papers and no-one from the teachers never realized that.
It saved me a lot of time on some other more important things, like dating and parties. Life should be fun , right? It is not only about struggles.